Marathon Weekend 2018

Marathon Weekend Goals:

1. Have fun with my sister for the 5k (and maybe convince her to run more than just the final stretch to the finish line).

2. Run the official half and not what I call the "AK Area Half."

3. Finish the full and the Dopey in general.
I don't have a time goal yet, but that may change as we get closer.

4. Have a halfway decent costume for each of the races.

speaking of hotels... my new stress of the day is my parents finally agreed to come and watch me run my first dopey... now I'm all worried about getting a HA room for my dad at the YC so he'll be close to Epcot (his favorite park) and on the marathon route without having to leave...

ToT was very easy to run on this year's course since we ran right past the entrance. It's the RnRC that was a bit out of the way, but still worth doing.
TOT is the only ride I can even consider during the full - do you happen to know how long it took, from entering the TV room to exiting to the race course? That's my big concern: that it'll eat a huge amount of time for this slow runner, even with a FP.

Where are your favorite places to stay for marathon weekend?
I'm guessing you'll get a gazillion different answers on this one, as everyone has different wants and needs! Me? I want the nicest accommodations I can afford because I don't do much park time and will spend plenty of quality time at my resort during a race weekend. I also want to prepare most of my own food, so a kitchen is a must. I've been going offsite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for years now and will again for 2018: I can get a 1 bedroom with full kitchen for less than I'd spend at a moderate onsite.

The Monday DATW sounds like a great way to celebrate! Also, can I ask a POT question? For the half marathons, I've been using my 10k PR time. For the marathon, can I still use the 10k or does it need to be a half marathon? I wasn't really planning on doing a half for time this year but may need to re-think that plan. RnR DC has a big hill and I may want to stop for photos during the Star Wars Dark Side half. Or how about a 10 miler? I have an April 10 miler that could be a good option for a PR (flat-ish and it's not too hot in April).

Sorry for the duplicate answer...I hit reply before I finished reading the thread, my bad!

For the full marathon, it has to be at least a 10 miler. There is a 10miler local to me as well in April that if I had planned better I could be training for. We are looking at 2 potential halfs, one at the end of September that is local and the Wineglass half, the first weekend of October for POT.

Last edited:
TOT is the only ride I can even consider during the full - do you happen to know how long it took, from entering the TV room to exiting to the race course? That's my big concern: that it'll eat a huge amount of time for this slow runner, even with a FP..
I'm interested in this as well... just out of curiousity

:ssst: I think we're going to have to finagle our dates for the DATW :drinking1 event on Monday the 9th!

Pretty psyched about the free beer for the 10K though! LMBO

In all seriousness...We have GOT to figure out where to stay. 5 of us, want deluxe, also there celebrating our 20th Wedding Anniversary as well. Honeymooned at WL-I think DH would like to stay there but I'd prefer something more convenient. Has anyone stayed in a "deluxe" room at BWI or YC/BC?

We rented a deluxe studio at BC this past marathon weekend. We loved it there and it was very convenient to the race. We had 5 in the studio. Me, DH, and our 3 teenage kids. It was very snug. Manageable, but snug. Biggest problem was the storage space was very limited, so we just didn't have places to put our clothes and suitcases. I'm usually an unpacker on vacation and there was no way to do it with 5 of us in the studio. It sort of drove me crazy, but that might just be me. :)

TOT makes me want to throw up on a regular day so during the race sounds crazy, it's funny because I used to be fine on it but the last couple trips my stomach flip flops and I feel awful.

I was already thinking of a marathon outfit...is it too early???

OH thank goodness. This will be my first time at a Value, I sound like such a snob, but I'm really worried I'm not going to like it.
I stay value almost all the time at WDW and it's fine for what we need. We are hardly in the room so it works well for us. If you get a room facing the lake at POP you can see EP & ST fireworks, the lake is really lovely. The food court can get crazy at times at POP but you can walk to AOA so that's nice benefit and they have Pasta Your Way which is a great before a race. One thing I've noticed is sometimes they don't replenish our plastic disposable bathroom cups, so if I see a maid cart I'll grab a stack or call down and they'll send some up pretty quick. I hope you like it!

Last edited:
TOT is the only ride I can even consider during the full - do you happen to know how long it took, from entering the TV room to exiting to the race course? That's my big concern: that it'll eat a huge amount of time for this slow runner, even with a FP.

From the time we stepped off the course to the time we got back on was roughly 20 minutes. RnRC took about the same amount of time. Longer run off course, faster line.

From the time we stepped off the course to the time we got back on was roughly 20 minutes. RnRC took about the same amount of time. Longer run off course, faster line.

I didn't consider RnRC a possibility, this is exciting news.

Just curious, from previous years, those of you who are DVC, anyone have luck switching at 7 months, or is stuff booked up pretty solid by then? My home resorts at WDW are OKW and BWV. I was planning to book BWV but now a larger group may go for PHM in February, and I would want to save those home resort points for that trip.

I'd like to end up at BCV, BWV, BLT or Poly. I know people have said they had good race experiences at OKW, but particularly BC or BW would give my DH some easy spectating opportunities.

Just curious, from previous years, those of you who are DVC, anyone have luck switching at 7 months, or is stuff booked up pretty solid by then? My home resorts at WDW are OKW and BWV. I was planning to book BWV but now a larger group may go for PHM in February, and I would want to save those home resort points for that trip.

I'd like to end up at BCV, BWV, BLT or Poly. I know people have said they had good race experiences at OKW, but particularly BC or BW would give my DH some easy spectating opportunities.

I'm trying to get Poly right now via rental points. There's availability, but so far no match I guess with someone who wants to rent out with Poly as their home resort. :( I'm worried by the time 7 months rolls around that availability will be gone. With the race weekend backing right up against the New Year holiday, I think availability may be tight.

I own at BCV and the Studios are already sold out for Friday, 1/5 and Saturday, 1/6. 1BR and 2BR villas are still available but the general inventory of rooms for BCV is small in comparison to the other DVC resorts so this might not be a good barometer. I think this year will be even tougher with the closeness and overlap of the New Years holiday weekend with the arrival of marathon weekend guests.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter