Marathon Weekend 2018

SAFD: Only the Disney Gift cards under the tree (for me!). But to be fair, the only Christmas decorations at all is my white, pre lit tree. Without any kids coming home for Christmas I get lazy. :)

Hi, I'm new to RunDisney and will be running the marathon this year. I was wondering what everyone uses for spectators' runner tracking. Is the Disney tracking service reliable or would it be better to use another app paired with my phone? My DH and kids will be cheering at or near the Beach Club, and I'd like to make it easy for them to monitor my progress and predict what time I'll pass by. Thank you!

I've tracked myself using the RunDisney tracking offering (either Xacte or RTRT) for every RunDisney event I've done where it's been offered ... and with one exception (Disneyland Half this year), it was almost to the second accurate. And even then - Disneyland Half didn't text start time (it still recorded it), but did send out every subsequent mat time.

SAFD: we have a Disney tree skirt, about 80% of the ornaments on this year's tree are Disney themed including about 50 Mickey Mouse heads that I made.
image.jpg

We also have a monorail going around the tree.
And then perhaps our oldest Disney decoration ....going back almost thirty years to the time when DH and I juggled......our juggling Santa Mickey tree topper.
image.jpg

Sundays are for Disney: is Disney involved in your holidays at all? From Christmas decor, disney Christmas movies, anything Disney and holiday related works.

We've got quite a few ornaments (these are some of my favorite) and a few plush's and quilts but not too much.

IMG_3486.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

Merry Christmas all! My husband opened his last pair of New Balance RunDisnney sneakers under the tree this morning? Has there been any news if there will be a new sneaker sponsor for marathon weekend?

Hi, I'm new to RunDisney and will be running the marathon this year. I was wondering what everyone uses for spectators' runner tracking. Is the Disney tracking service reliable or would it be better to use another app paired with my phone? My DH and kids will be cheering at or near the Beach Club, and I'd like to make it easy for them to monitor my progress and predict what time I'll pass by. Thank you!

do you have a smart watch? I use Garmin, and the Garmin Connect app/software is great. In addition to keeping a pile of statistics on your running, you can use the "Live Track" feature, which allows you to email access to your live tracking to anyone who wants to watch your progress. You put the list of email addresses in for those you want to offer this to, they click on the link in the email, and it takes them to a map where they can follow your run from start to finish. Very accurate, and doesn't eat a lot of battery power. Of course, you have to carry your phone with you and use data, but I don't think it uses a tremendous amount of data. Nice tool! Your viewers can follow you every step of the way.

Yes, I do have a Garmin but have not used Live Track - I will check it out, thanks! I'm not fully decided on whether I will take my phone along but am 90% sure I will.

Merry Christmas to everyone!!

Long range weather forecast is looking nice. Seeing a couple nights in the 40s now. Still pretty far out, so we'll see how much it changes in the next week.
Anybody know why they are forecasting a drop in temps for just Friday?

No shoes at all this year.
So we have Christopher McDougall, author of "Born to Run", as this years shoe sponsor?

Yes, I do have a Garmin but have not used Live Track - I will check it out, thanks! I'm not fully decided on whether I will take my phone along but am 90% sure I will.
Phones can also come in handy at a couple of points as there are some places that you might want a pic that don't have a photopass person. For some reason I think the Mary Poppins stuff at GF didn't have any photopass peeps.

Question: This is my first race at Disney World and I am doing the Dopey Challenge. (I've done the Pixie Dust Challenge at Disneyland once before.) What time would you recommend I get on a bus for each of the races? I'd like to stretch and have a chance to go to the bathroom before the start, but don't like to be super rushed. Same time for each race?

Question: This is my first race at Disney World and I am doing the Dopey Challenge. (I've done the Pixie Dust Challenge at Disneyland once before.) What time would you recommend I get on a bus for each of the races? I'd like to stretch and have a chance to go to the bathroom before the start, but don't like to be super rushed. Same time for each race?
I’m always someone that likes to be early so I try to get to the first bus. Bus times are listed in the event guide. I believe the smaller race buses start at like 3:30 and larger races 3AM?

I have noticed that going a little early is so much easier/smoother than going late. I left about 4:30 two years ago and got caught up in way more people than I thought at bag check. It took so long I had to run to the corralls from there and almost missed my start! Last year I was out the door at 3:30 and it made all the difference.

I have noticed that going a little early is so much easier/smoother than going late. I left about 4:30 two years ago and got caught up in way more people than I thought at bag check. It took so long I had to run to the corralls from there and almost missed my start! Last year I was out the door at 3:30 and it made all the difference.

My experience is that Baloo has bracketed the times perfectly.

Out the door at 3:30 = up early but no stress
Out the door at 4:30 = extra sleep but more stress

Its a sliding scale: where do you fall on the stress vs. extra hour of sleep scale? I am on the 'early side of things'.

From the event guide buses start at 3:30 for the 5k and 10k and they state that you have to board a bus by 4 to be sure you make it to the start on time.
For the 1/2 and Full Buses and Monorails start at 3 and they say you need to be one one by 3:30.

I would probably use the same 30 minute stagger for my races (leaving 30 minutes later for the 5 and 10k)

I lean towards leave on the earlier side because I don't like to be stressed. There are lots of people that leave later and are fine with it. I think a lot of it depends on what corral you are starting in.

Question about 'throw away' clothing... I know there are often donation bins inside Magic Kingdom to toss extra layers in for donation, however I don't like running in layers. Is this same system in place near the start corrals? I would love to have a jacket on right up until the start but not have to worry about running with it at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter