• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

A girl I know qualified for Boston (3:22:24) doing run/walk intervals. They personally don't work very well for me, but I do not understand knocking other people down for what works for them. Someone who runs, walks, crawls, bunny hops or rolls 26.2 miles is still a marathoner to me, and that is all that really matters! :thumbsup2

Also, I really need them to add an eye roll emoji to these boards.
Isn't this it? :rolleyes2

Hello. Going to chime in on the Galloway intervals. So what I understand, the chart above, which looks similar to the one on his training plans, I think equates to if you run a nine minute mile, he gives you a suggested interval. If you run a 12 minute mile, he gives the suggested interval for that pace and so on.

However from what I’ve read most people that use intervals do a lot of experimenting to find one that works best for them.

Currently because I’m dealing with a chronic injury I’ve even gone down to as short as 20/20!

But even when I was using longer intervals like 4/1 or running straight and not using intervals, my personal experience is that I have felt much better after the race when I’ve taken shorter intervals then trying to run it straight through.

And strangely my pace always is about the same pace whether I’m running straight, taking medium length intervals, or very short intervals. Sometimes I’ve been faster at very short intervals.

As for races I might have to adjust the intervals to work with any course crowding. That’s not a problem and I may run longer or maybe walk longer in some stretches but it all seems to work out. And then once the bottlenecks clear I can go ahead and run whatever pace and intervals I want.

I don't use the run/walk method, but I have nothing but positive things to say about those who do. I've done several Disney races and have found that almost all who do run/walk are extremely courteous of other people. I know when their hands go up that they will be walking. Also, a I pulled my hamstring during the 2016 Wine & Dine, and Jeff Galloway and his group graciously let me run/walk with the for part of it (until I had to totally just walk the last few miles). If you have never heard one of Jeff Galloway's talks about his method you should try to hear one. He makes so much sense!!!

@Keels, I'm am sorry you thought I was judging anyone's strategy.
*Sigh :(
I wasn't judging, please read closely my past few posts and you will see.

I was actually just curious about 30/30 or 60/30 paces?
The ratio may match but the duration seems wrong.

For instance, a 2/1 ration could be 2 minutes running 1 minute walking.
This seems more like what I have read about Galloway.
A 1 minute run and 30 second walk is technically the same.
However, it seems to be less efficient.

As for the 30/30, 30 seconds running/ 30 seconds walking, does ANYONE on this board use this strategy?
I am genuinely curious.
Doing that for a Disney race seems cumbersome.
I used the term annoying earlier, I was speaking for myself, if I were to try that rate.

I am also curious if the Galloway pacers ratio numbers are just that.
Will they do 60s/30s or apply that as 2m/1m?

So please, I was not knocking anyone.
Perhaps you misjudged me?
If I can't ask questions of fellow runners that is disappointing.

I personally use :30/:30 and it works great for me. I may not be the fastest person out there but I can run a 10k at an 11:20 pace using it. I plan on using it for the marathon during Dopey at a 12:30ish pace.

And you weren’t the person who’s comments offended me.

Troll alert. Back, back over the falls.

Seriously though people qualify for Boston using run/walk so maybe do some homework before you insult a large portion of the runDisney community.
aWZjk.gif

@Keels, I'm am sorry you thought I was judging anyone's strategy.
*Sigh :(
I wasn't judging, please read closely my past few posts and you will see.

I was actually just curious about 30/30 or 60/30 paces?
The ratio may match but the duration seems wrong.

For instance, a 2/1 ration could be 2 minutes running 1 minute walking.
This seems more like what I have read about Galloway.
A 1 minute run and 30 second walk is technically the same.
However, it seems to be less efficient.

As for the 30/30, 30 seconds running/ 30 seconds walking, does ANYONE on this board use this strategy?
I am genuinely curious.
Doing that for a Disney race seems cumbersome.
I used the term annoying earlier, I was speaking for myself, if I were to try that rate.

I am also curious if the Galloway pacers ratio numbers are just that.
Will they do 60s/30s or apply that as 2m/1m?

So please, I was not knocking anyone.
Perhaps you misjudged me?
If I can't ask questions of fellow runners that is disappointing.

Sorry - posting from my phone (while trying to enjoy Epcot) leads my context to be out-of-whack ... I know you weren’t knocking interval runners, that’s why I said my experience with them and that more people with more extensive Galloway experience would be happy to detail their thoughts! You’ve been incredibly helpful!

I’m truly sorry it came across that way!

Unfortunately, there are two new posters who can’t seem to help asking questions and then posting shots at those same people who help them, many of them being participants they feel are lesser than them and it’s really disappointing.

At the expo yes. I don't believe so at the actual races.
Thank you, Rteetz! At the expo would make better sense anyway. I appreciate the heads up! I'm not a regular user of the taping but I had a recent bout with anterior tibial tendonitis, and I think it might be a good idea to tape that upp just in case. Thank you again!

Can anyone here tell me if Kinesio taping services are available prior to the start of the races?
They have done Kinesio Taping at the KT taping booth, but I would caution you that the line for it can be long. I know the past couple of times that I've tried it the wait to get taped was in the 60-90 minutes range. This time may vary based on how crowded the expo is, but I would make their booth my first stop if your plan is to get taped while you are there. (I think in the past they have had a sign up board)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter