Marathon Weekend 2018

There are so many things I haven't done that I probably can't name them all. There's also probably a bunch of stuff I don't even know I'm missing out on. I know I've missed a few attractions but nothing that I'm too worried about doing in the future. There are a few restaurants I really would like to try and I think staying at some different resorts in the future will be nice. One of the great things about Disney is knowing that as much as I've done there are new things to experience every time.

I just put in a half registration and then sent an email to runDisney requesting a refund for the full. I'll let everyone knows what happens...

Off the running topic!!

Has anyone stayed at CBR for a race weekend, and can speak to the bus situation? Custom's House or regular stops? Is it just one bus that will do a full circuit of the whole property? It will likely be our resort and my first time. TIA.

Off the running topic!!

Has anyone stayed at CBR for a race weekend, and can speak to the bus situation? Custom's House or regular stops? Is it just one bus that will do a full circuit of the whole property? It will likely be our resort and my first time. TIA.
Well CBR is under major construction as they expand and build a DVC tower. It has a bus system like POR or SSR in that your bus make sure multiple stops throughout the resort.

By the PDF, do you mean something other than what's under the Registration tab on the website? That's this:

• Registrations may be transferred within the same race weekend, to a different race distance, as long as the desired race distance is not sold out. The Guest must first register for the new event for the transfer to be valid; any difference in registration price the for a lesser distance (if any) will then be refunded, less a $45 transfer processing fee.
Yeah, some form they they have you fill out with the new and old registration ID, what kind of transfer you're requesting, etc. they'll probably email it to you.

I have never done any of the tours that are offered. I would really love to do a behind the scenes tour. It would have to be in a year I am not forking over Dopey Registration Fees though!

I'm not a WDW regular and there's a lot I haven't done. I haven't stayed at most of the hotels or eaten at most of the restaurants.

One thing I haven't done that I'm looking forward to checking off is running a marathon through WDW!

So I've attached the DIS'ers PDF from this past year which would give you a good representation of expectations. Those that are at Everest after 9am are highlighted in pink (not many as you can see) and those at TOT/RnR after 9am (guess as to DHS opening time) are highlighted in green. These cover a wide range of corrals and expected paces within those corrals. Hope this helps determine the "is it possible for me?" Sorry it's tiny!

Awesome!! Thanks so much @DopeyBadger

Off the running topic!!

I stayed there for Dopey 2016 and do not recall any problems with the bus system. It will depend on which section you stay in; I was in Aruba, which was one of the last stops for pickup (bonus: first for drop off!), but I still made it to all four races with time to spare. And if I remember correctly, the bus circuit for the races ran counter to the parks circuit, but that may not always be the case. I think you'll be fine, especially if you head to the bus stop at the front end of the time window.

I have never done any of the tours that are offered. I would really love to do a behind the scenes tour. It would have to be in a year I am not forking over Dopey Registration Fees though!

We did the Behind the Seeds tour (for Living with the Land) and it was pretty cool. Relatively inexpensive and a neat look at that attraction.

What is one thing you've never done at WDW?

There is quite a bit I haven't (and won't ever) done at WDW. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, 7DMT, to name a couple. I am not a thrill rider. The only exception to this was on my first ever trip to WDW when I got on Space Mountain. Never again!

Hello, can anyone share experiences with the kids races? I am thinking about signing my 6 year old up to run the mile, but want to make sure that it would be a fun experience and not overly competitive. Should I stick with the 200m where he is with his age group?

Hello, can anyone share experiences with the kids races? I am thinking about signing my 6 year old up to run the mile, but want to make sure that it would be a fun experience and not overly competitive. Should I stick with the 200m where he is with his age group?
My sister has done the mile twice. She was 10 and 11. I wouldn't say it's overly competitive, she has really enjoyed it.

There is quite a bit I haven't (and won't ever) done at WDW. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain, 7DMT, to name a couple. I am not a thrill rider. The only exception to this was on my first ever trip to WDW when I got on Space Mountain. Never again!

You reminded me of a something that happened during my '91 trip to WDW: the party was 3 of my cousins (all siblings to each other), their mom (my aunt), my mom, my brother and me.

My aunt and my mom were avoiding the thrill rides like crazy. No BTMR, no Splash Mountain, even the teacups were too intimidating for them.

So us kids had to do something. We had already ridden Space Mountain earlier, courtesy The Space Mountain Run, so we know what's inside. We all queue up, convincing the parents to get in line, too. The fact that you can't see the ride outside or even in line helped.

My mom and my aunt hear the people screaming inside the ride, and get scared. My cousin quickly says "oh that's another ride in the building, that's the scary one. We're going on the slow one."

Somehow, when loading the ride, we got split, and the two parents got on, first, while us kids got stuck waiting for the next train. That worked out to our advantage.

When my parents got done with the ride, oh the look on their faces was priceless! It was utter shock and horror! Their knuckles were pure white from choking the handrail the entire time! Their hair turned into styles resembling The Bride of Frankenstein! I'm surprised any of us kids made it home :D

Last edited:
So I've attached the DIS'ers PDF from this past year which would give you a good representation of expectations. Those that are at Everest after 9am are highlighted in pink (not many as you can see) and those at TOT/RnR after 9am (guess as to DHS opening time) are highlighted in green. These cover a wide range of corrals and expected paces within those corrals. Hope this helps determine the "is it possible for me?" Sorry it's tiny!

A couple years ago, we reached Everest a little after it opened, and were able to ride. Last year, we were about 10-15 minutes too early.

So, in 2018... my goal is to GO SLOWER AND TAKE MORE PICTURES! :mickeyjum

My sister has done the mile twice. She was 10 and 11. I wouldn't say it's overly competitive, she has really enjoyed it.
Thanks! Did it seem to be mostly older kids running? My 6 year old is not particularly fast; I just thought he'd get more satisfaction out of running a "distance" race where he learns to pace himself. But he's still working on losing gracefully, so I don't want to put him in a position where he is the slowest by far unless they stagger the starts in such a way that no one really notices.

Thanks! Did it seem to be mostly older kids running? My 6 year old is not particularly fast; I just thought he'd get more satisfaction out of running a "distance" race where he learns to pace himself. But he's still working on losing gracefully, so I don't want to put him in a position where he is the slowest by far unless they stagger the starts in such a way that no one really notices.
It was a mix. I'd say probably more of the 8-11 ages ran but there were kids younger than that. No staggered starts everyone goes at once. Some kids just walk the whole thing. My sister had her show fall off this past year and ran with one shoe on while she carried the other one in her hand.

You reminded me of a something that happened during my '91 trip to WDW: the party was 3 of my cousins (all siblings to each other), their mom (my aunt), my mom, my brother and me.

My aunt and my mom were avoiding the thrill rides like crazy. No BTMR, no Splash Mountain, even the teacups were too intimidating for them.

So us kids had to do something. We had already ridden Space Mountain earlier, courtesy The Space Mountain Run, so we know what's inside. We all queue up, convincing the parents to get in line, too. The fact that you can't see the ride outside or even in line helped.

My mom and my aunt hear the people screaming inside the ride, and get scared. My cousin quickly says "oh that's another ride in the building, that's the scary one. We're going on the slow one."

Somehow, when loading the ride, we got split, and the two parents got on, first, while us kids got stuck waiting for the next train. That worked out to our advantage.

When my parents got done with the ride, oh the look on their faces was priceless! It was utter shock and horror! Their knuckles were pure white from choking the handrail the entire time! Their hair turned into styles resembling The Bride of Frankenstein! I'm surprised any of us kids made it home :D

That. Wasn't. Cool. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter