Marathon Weekend 2017!

Dopey bibs are blue and purple this year!

Also, RD has changed the wording on what is required to complete the Challenge:

Please note that all Dopey Challenge participants must complete the 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon in the allotted time to receive their Dopey Challenge medal.

Please note that all Dopey Challenge participants must complete the 5K, 10K, Half Marathon and Marathon in the allotted time to receive their Dopey Challenge medal.

Huh, in 2018 I plan to do the Dopey and I also plan to do the 5K with my mom who will take a looooooge time. Wonder if that would put my Dopey medal in jeopardy?

Huh, in 2018 I plan to do the Dopey and I also plan to do the 5K with my mom who will take a looooooge time. Wonder if that would put my Dopey medal in jeopardy?
Well, before it said within 16 min/mile averages...or something like that. now it sounds like you have all of the time the course is still active, meaning as long as you come in before the last person that is swept then you are fine?? maybe??? meaning you could even have 20 min/mile pace or worse?

The 5K is only timed for Dopey participants, but they will do a form of a "sweep" for ALL participants (ie. pick you up and move you closer to the finish line so they can prep and open the park). No idea how this would jeopardize a Dopey medal, but I would imagine if you got picked up in any circumstance (just like in the timed races), that would be the end of it. Best case is to make sure your Mom is within the 16:00/mile timeframe. Plenty of time to train to get there!

Well, before it said within 16 min/mile averages...or something like that. now it sounds like you have all of the time the course is still active, meaning as long as you come in before the last person that is swept then you are fine?? maybe??? meaning you could even have 20 min/mile pace or worse?

I guess they're just finally adjusting their verbiage to what they've been been actually doing - complete the race and don't get swept, you get the Challenge medals.

This may be a dumb question, but are the Dooney & Bourke items pre-purchase? They are listed to be picked up like the commemorative pre-purchased items.

This may be a dumb question, but are the Dooney & Bourke items pre-purchase? They are listed to be picked up like the commemorative pre-purchased items.
You can pre purchase them or they usually have them available at the expo for purchase too.

I had a similar situation back last year for my first Dopey. Did the 5k with my Mom who due to reasons can only manage a brisk walk on most days. So it took us an hour and a half to do the 5k. Keep in mind we stopped for one photo (Lilo). I am like 90 percent sure I was the last Dopey across the line at the 5k.

I also was pretty slow on the 10k and half on purpose because I was saving up for a PR attempt on the Marathon. Which of course fell through because of the weather. Long story short I had no problem getting my medal.

Basically you get to the finish without being swept your good for the challenge medals. I say this being about 90 percent certain that I came in behind the balloon ladies at the Marathon. But by that point they weren't sweeping (if you take too long past a certain point you might run into issues but only if you take too long).

I think my times were something like 1:30, 2:00, 4:00, and 8:00 for the different legs respectively. Its a culmination of trying to save up for the Marathon. And then of course I started to overheat leaving Animal Kingdom. No PR attempts this year.

What site do you go to to pre purchase them?

It will be posted on the runDisney website once they are finally ready. If memory serves me correct its usually under the registration section with all the other commemorative merchandise stuff. Keep in mind I haven't bought in any other way then at expo in a while (prefer it that way for being able to use AP discount).

I had a similar situation back last year for my first Dopey. Did the 5k with my Mom who due to reasons can only manage a brisk walk on most days. So it took us an hour and a half to do the 5k. Keep in mind we stopped for one photo (Lilo). I am like 90 percent sure I was the last Dopey across the line at the 5k.

I also was pretty slow on the 10k and half on purpose because I was saving up for a PR attempt on the Marathon. Which of course fell through because of the weather. Long story short I had no problem getting my medal.

Basically you get to the finish without being swept your good for the challenge medals. I say this being about 90 percent certain that I came in behind the balloon ladies at the Marathon. But by that point they weren't sweeping (if you take too long past a certain point you might run into issues but only if you take too long).

I think my times were something like 1:30, 2:00, 4:00, and 8:00 for the different legs respectively. Its a culmination of trying to save up for the Marathon. And then of course I started to overheat leaving Animal Kingdom. No PR attempts this year.

You were obviously blessed with a great corral thanks to Proof of Time.

For newer runners reading this thread, I wouldn't recommend spending 4 hours on your feet in the half as a good way to save yourself for the full. Treating it as a long training run (maybe 45-60 seconds per mile slower than your race pace) is a much better approach. Plus, a 4-hour half is not easy to do without pushing the limits of being swept, even if you start in one of the first few corrals.

You were obviously blessed with a great corral thanks to Proof of Time.

I was in J actually soooo it was decent? I just normally can run a 12 min/mile so once I left the stops I would book it. I'm doing about a 13-14 (I think, my training runs pace have been under 16 but a bit inconsistent) currently because of surgery so I probably won't get away with as many stops this year.

For newer runners reading this thread, I wouldn't recommend spending 4 hours on your feet in the half as a good way to save yourself for the full. Treating it as a long training run (maybe 45-60 seconds per mile slower than your race pace) is a much better approach. Plus, a 4-hour half is not easy to do without pushing the limits of being swept, even if you start in one of the first few corrals.

Agree. I was just trying to calm people down about pacing requirements and going over a 16 min/mile officially if you stop for photos.

Another thing to keep in mind is I've got two ultras under my belt so not only am I really used to the stopping and starting stuff that comes with photos. But I'm used to being on my feet for a long time.

Another thing to keep in mind is I've got two ultras under my belt so not only am I really used to the stopping and starting stuff that comes with photos. But I'm used to being on my feet for a long time.

That's all well and good; lots of us have ultras under our belts. For most of the people who read this thread, however, spending 4 hours on the half in an effort to conserve themselves for the full is not a wise choice to make.

I was in J actually soooo it was decent? I just normally can run a 12 min/mile so once I left the stops I would book it. I'm doing about a 13-14 (I think, my training runs pace have been under 16 but a bit inconsistent) currently because of surgery so I probably won't get away with as many stops this year.

Agree. I was just trying to calm people down about pacing requirements and going over a 16 min/mile officially if you stop for photos.

Regardless of where you start (in your assigned corral or not) and what you stop for (pictures, etc.), if you are passed by the sweepers in any race at certain points you WILL GET SWEPT. I don't know what is so difficult to understand about this.

You apparently had absurd times for where you started. I was two corrals behind you and my times were nowhere near that. I can see your bib number in your avatar, so maybe I'll go compare clock/net to see what the true difference in time between corrals is.

But please don't act like telling people a two-hour 10K and a four-hour half is "conservation" in preparation for an eight-hour marathon. It's not. You got lucky.

I agree, unless you are doing this in training. I am purposely running my Saturday runs slowly before my Sunday long run. For instance, I purposely stayed on my feet for 2:10 on my 11 mile run last week, the day before my 22 miler. I plan to extend that to 2:30 for my 12 miler this Saturday before my 24 miler on Sunday. I am doing so because I expect to be on my feet much longer at WDW, between the standing in the corrals and the character stops. Still, none of that approaches 4 hours. That's gotta be tough.

Do it in training and it will be a piece of cake at WDW.

Just some anecdotal evidence from my personal experience...I did Goofy back in 2014 and ran the half with my wife. We stopped for almost every character and had long waits in lines. While waiting for golfing Mickey near Grand Floridian we were passed by the balloon ladies. We knew how far ahead the buses were and had to book it to get back ahead of the balloons. At that point I was done being nice to my wife and if she wanted to stop for pictures and get swept that was her decision, but I wasn't about to miss out on my Goofy medal. We hustled to get ahead of the balloon ladies but still ended up with a 4 hour half marathon time. Despite it being the slowest pace I ever ran in a race, and it also included plenty of "breaks" standing in line, it was way too much time on my feet. I was incredibly sore right from the start for the marathon the following day and I had my worst marathon ever. Just sayin'

This conversation is making me nervous! My ILs decided that our days at Disney would be Thursday and Friday, so I assume I will be walking all day both days. I'm planning to rest Saturday... will that be enough? Any tips for making the Disney days less strenuous?

This conversation is making me nervous! My ILs decided that our days at Disney would be Thursday and Friday, so I assume I will be walking all day both days. I'm planning to rest Saturday... will that be enough? Any tips for making the Disney days less strenuous?

Don't be nervous! My husband and I spent the full two days before the Princess Half touring the parks (without a rest day before the race) and we were just fine. You might want to add some additional walking into your training to get used to being on your feet a little bit more if you think you need it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter