Marathon Weekend 2017!

Yesterday I ran my first 16.7miles and right now, I ask myself, how to complete the marathon :-D But there are some weeks of training left, so I really hope I can make it in January.
As the grizzled old veteran of exactly 1 marathon, I can tell you with confidence that given your training (and barring injury beforehand) you will not only complete the marathon but you will have a blast doing so. I had my doubts at zero dark thirty standing on Epcot Center Drive awaiting the start, but after the first mile or so the nerves melted away and I got to enjoy an epic journey around all of WDW (a really really looonnngg journey, but it is what it is). It's not 26.2 miles, it's what's around the next corner. Lots of corners, but lots of surprises and unique experiences.

I, was a competitive runner in high school and for awhile in college. I then let it go. Graduate school, my career, marriage and then children became my focus. I would run for periods but never sustained it. About 5 years ago I realized I was unhappy with myself and needed some new goals. I decided that I was going to be a runner again. Then three years ago I decided to enter a race. I have been a life long Disney fan. I learned about runDisney from a friend and I ended up signed up for Goofy 2015. Last year I ran Dopey and I am addicted. Excited to return this January for my second Dopey. I love the challenge and the structure these races provide me. Way psyched for this year; 70 days to go! That is rad!
This sounds a lot like me!

Why do you run and why are you running this race?
I run because I was embarrassing myself by getting left behind on family bike rides and hikes, plus I started getting a steady stream of comments about my tummy. So at age 50 I decided to do something about it, and it turned out that running was actually fun. Last July DD returned from a DCP internship and said that she'd like to sign up for the Disney Marathon - after booking the trip and the race for her I was like "what the heck" and signed up too. A crazy challenge, but whoo-boy what an experience! Plus rumor has it that even after stopping to ride Everest, taking pics of every mile marker, and running around the bonus cone, I apparently beat her (er, "enjoyed fewer moments on the course than her")...

10 weeks, runDisney all-stars! 70 days! Race weekend will be here before we know it.

This week's Sundays are for Disney question:

Why do you run and why are you running this race?

I run because I know it is good for me in body and soul and I really like the "do it together" aspect of the pace group I'm in in my running group. I see running like writing--I don't always enjoy it during, but sometimes I do, and I always like having done it.

I am doing this marathon because I wanted to do something for a milestone birthday and realized the marathon was taking place on my actual 50th birthday. I already love Disney and I have run halfs before (halves?) but this will be my first, and maybe only full.

The marathon will be hard for me and if I finish it, I will really have something to be proud of. I started training with a group over a year ahead of time (just about now in 2015 actually). My challenge is that I am slow. Reallly sloooowwww, like I'm worried about being swept slow (that's the "if" part above). I just did 18 miles this past Sunday and in the sense of activity, I did great--felt good, wasn't exhausted, etc. But pace-wise it was awful--the first 10 miles were between 14:10 and 15:30, fluctuating. Then I went into 16's and 17's. My legs were just tired even though my heart/lungs were good.

Well we are ever getting closer. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing yet because I feel unprepared. However My fastness day is Wednesday! What are everyone else's FP days? Anything you must have as a FP?

The marathon will be hard for me and if I finish it, I will really have something to be proud of.

Not IF you finish.... but WHEN you finish. Trust your training and understand that this long run is just part of the process to get you to the finish line. You will improve, have a good taper, and be ready for the race.

Well we are ever getting closer. I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing yet because I feel unprepared. However My fastness day is Wednesday! What are everyone else's FP days? Anything you must have as a FP?

I don't really have anything that I'm just desperate to have. I'm going to try and get the new Frozen Ever After and 7DMT, but if we fail at those, it's okay. Otherwise, I'm not figuring I'll have too hard of a time getting the other things I want.

We are on a budget leading up to the trip and decided to forgo early Fastpass to buy our plane tickets while they were still decent prices. So park tickets will be next (miss my AP soooo much!), probably right before Thanksgiving. We don't really need anything that is hard to get at 30 days out anyway. We ropedrop for 7DMT and TSMM if we can't get it and sometimes even if we do get it. With just DD26 and I it's super easy to do whatever we want and we usually hop over all the parks on multiple days anyway.

I won't book FP+ until a day or two out and will be fine with whatever I get. I prefer to keep things spontaneous so only book one or two days at a time.

I'll admit it - I guess this makes me shallow - but the main motivation for me was the medal(s). Without that, I don't think I would have ever even attempted to run a marathon! It's all about the bling!
Not shallow, bling is one of the big reasons I am doing Dopey.

Our FP day is today! Even arriving on NYE, everything was available and easy to reserve. We have a little guy who is excited to have FP+ for 7D and to meet Elena. :) Also really excited to have the Jingle Bell Jingle Bam Dessert Party booked for our arrival night!

In running news, our super tiny youngest son just finished a 5K in 27 minutes! It was a PR for him and definitely the result of cross country training this fall!

I think my first day is the sixth. I'm arriving on the 4th but I'm probably not going to a park that day. Fast passes aren't +10 like dining are they?

Only really must get is 7DMT since I haven't been on it yet. I'm solo so I usually just wing it as far as rides.

The whole concept of making FP+ at 70 days is WAY foreign to me. This is the first time (pretty much EVER!) staying on-site for more than one night (we usually just do NYE), so I've already got my brain spinning about how that will shake out.

Add in the fact that I'm making FP+ plans for, oh, possibly eight people or so ... things are getting crazy QUICK!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter