marathon training thread for 11/7-11/14

Beth, I am so sorry. My prayers are with you and family as you go through this time.
:hug:

I finally got my race info in the mail! Whoo Hooo! I was getting kinda concerned. Now all that has to happen is I need to improve my time. I am getting a bit anxious. I have had a bit of a slow down these last couple of weeks. I miss the outdoor wogging.

I did notice that there is no mention of the spaghetti dinner. I also see medals in the pics, but only saw something about participant certificates to be mailed with results later. I am so looking forward to that Donald medal. It is still being distributed right?

Molli, where are you planning to eat with your Fantasmic package on the 10th? Yeah, when I wog, I often want to run because is does start to hurt some, I just feel that the wog strengthens my legs. I wish I could get that race walk thing going so I could kick up my pace a bit.

Just got back from the gym where I did 25 minutes of recumbent bike and then weight circuit, and about 15 minutes on the track. No swimming today.

Cheryl, I should have been outside tonight as it was a good weather day. We seem to be a day behind you in the weather. We are due to get that S*** stuff tomorrow night I think.

I am glad everyone is enjoying their massages. The last one I had was about a couple of years age, when I got home my back hurt so bad I sat on the heating pad all night to feel better. No more massages for me. I am afraid to go again.

Lisa, hope your kitty is going to be better soon. You seem to be progressing quite well. I don’t think I want to ever attempt 14 miles. Good luck with that long run.
Happy Birthday!

Debbie good question about the time before the race. I am concerned about that as well: warmth, eating enough to get me started, and beverage/then potty break. Hmmm.

Jackie, your bosses are so sweet. What a great gift!

Ear covering person here too, even in summer I put in ear plugs to keep the wind out if I am riding my bike, or cotton balls. I usually have a scarf tied around my head like a band. I may look dumpy, but I get the job done.

TriMom, welcome aboard! Come often, post lots!

Karen, good for you. You got to 8 miles! That is great news.

I need to get to bed as I should be fresh for work tomorrow. Good night all!

Everyone, I missed, please know I am there with ya and didn't mean to miss responding. I look forward to our time in 2 months! We will need to start making firm plans soon to meet before, during, after.

Originally posted by TriMom
I'm running the full Marathon - my first!. I have been lurking some here, but it seemed liked everyone was doing the 1/2 and I didn't want to impose on your training. I know that some of those full marathoners can be snobby, and I didn't want to be confused with them. I am so proud of everyone who pushes themselves to accomplish any goal and all of you are wonderful!

So anyway... Here is my first WISH post.

About 3 years ago I was a couch potato who got bit by the Triathalon bug. I trained, trained, trained, lost 80 lbs, and finished an Olympic distance Tri. and a 1/2 marathon. I felt great. I got preggo shortly after the Tri, and gained back the entire 80 lbs. :mad: stupid bedrest. When my DS was about 4 months old, I realized I needed a new goal and the WDW marathon was it. I've lost 50 lbs so far, and I'm begining to feel great again.

My training for this week:
Mon :4 mile run - speedwork. For me that's a 9:30 minute mile
Tue: 6 mile run - had to be on treadmill so boring!!!
Thur: planned 4 mile
Sat: 14 mile - this will be the longest I have run in my life.

Lisa Loves Pooh - Are you using the Non-Runners Marathon training guide too? It sounds like we have the same schedule.

Marathon goal - TO FINISH!!! (but in the back of my mind I'd like to do it under 6 hours)

Welcome and congrats on that 50 lost!!!

I am with the Leukemia Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. They have coaches for us to utilize. This week I had a modified workout--b/c our long run was on Sunday--and my cat had serious leg injuries that required vet visits on Monday. Our schedule was supposed to be M-3, T-XTrain, W-4, H-4, F-Rest, S-14. But since I couldn't do that--I was advised to do T-4 to 6, W 4 to 6, H-4. I know that they have a national coach who sets a base program for the local coaches and they modify it for their team. I don't know the source of it though.

Again Welcome!!!

Tiger Lily--you won't do 14, will ya???--but come January 9th--it'll be 13.1 for you--add the walk to the start before and to the food tent after--and you will be doing more than 14 ;):p ;)
Kitty is doing well--thanks for asking--I still need to figure out how she gets off of the bed without howling in pain (she begs to be on the bed, so I let her). She gets into and out of the litter box unassisted now.

My Mary Kay Birthday PJ Party was a success--$355 in sales which yielded me a complimentary $72 b-day present :) :) :)

I didi my crosstraining yesterday and I got in my 8 mile walk today and it actually turned into an 8.9 mile when I added in my warm up and cool down!! I timed myself for the 8 miles and I averaged just over a 14 min mile so I was happy :D My legs are a little sore but tomorrow is a scheduled rest day, if you can consider the long day I have at work tomorrow a rest day lol. Oh yeah and I made it through yesterday and today without caving in to the sweets but I am really craving some chocolate now I must resist, I must resist. Molli don't get down on yourself for eating those gummi bears, it could have been worse right and today was a new day with new resolve, remeber we can do this!

Happy birthday to the birthday girls :cake: :cake: :bday: :bday:

Lisa I ordered the foot roller yesterday and will hopefully have it by the end of the week! My feet can't wait!!! I am glad your kitty is doing better and congrats on doing so well with your Mary Kay party!

Bev and Molli I will tell DH it is all your faults, that you told me to do the massage ;) I did schedule myself for a pedicure and a manicure for next week Thur. so my hands and feet will be beautiful on the Magic. I am very, very seriously considering the massage on the ship. Molli lets be really good together tomorrow about avoiding those bad, bad sweets!

TriMom Welcome to our wonderful group! My main goal is just to finish this endeavor too!

Yahoo Karen you did your 8 miles :thewave: Have a great time in SLC!

Lily you can do this just keep on walking and crosstraining and your times should keep improving! Hang in there girlfriend!!

Maryliz If it gets too hard to get to Curves as the weather gets worse do you have some tapes you could do with light weights at home so that you would have another option to keep up your crosstraining? I went to Curves 2 years ago and then it just got too hectic trying to get there when they were open (the closest oneto me had really goofy, inconvenient hours) so I picked up some different exercise tapes to do at home when it was convenient for me.

Debbie have fun at your dinner tomorrow!

Have a good Thursday everyone! Keep on moving! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Cheryl

I looked into joining the local Curves. But it's only open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, and it's closed from 1pm to 2pm. So I can't go before work, I can't go after work and I can't go on weekends because they are closed.

I will have to try another gym.

Today was a rest day for me, tomorrow is 45mins, but I may do my long run tomorrow - 6miles. Saturday is my actual long run day, but I am going with my MIL to a christmas craft fair, so probably wont get my run in.

Lisa - I love the sound of the foot massager, I am seriously considering getting one.

Morning All! Welcome Trimom!

Rachael, the Curves by me had really crummy hours when it first opened, but they've been expanding them over time.

I did 2.25 miles yesterday morning in under 40 mins, including warm up and cool down pace. For a little bit there in the middle, I felt like I was flying! Still slow, I know, but not bad for someone who's been WAY off schedule. I have 6 miles this weekend for my long walk and I won't be worrying about pace....just making it that far :rolleyes:

My friend (PixieMagic) has done 9 miles this past weekend! I think most of us are just going to wave goodbye to her at the starting line.....she'll be flying to that finish line!

My schedule is slightly off, days of the week wise, due to my trip and today should be a rest day since I walked the last two. But I think I'm going to have one of the girls at work go down to our gym with me at lunch or after work and run through some of the weights with me. I'd like to be doing some upper body work as part of my cross-training and weight loss.

BTW, do we know approximately what time the WISHES CRUISE is? I'll do a search and see if I can find out the Jan schedule.

Karebear, have a great trip. Everyone else.....keep walking!

Happy Birthday Lisa & Jackie:bday: :bday: I'm staying away from that chocolate cake clippie becvause it will make me want some;)

My snacking at night is not going well - any advice?????

Congrats Karen on the 8 miler :Pinkbounc :bounce: Awesome!

I'm scheduled to do 8 maybe 10 miles today while ds is in school but without a walking buddy I think I'll be bored. Checking out my music now for motivation!have a terrific Thursday!

Good morning,

Ibouncetoo - the Disney site says that Wishes on Monday January 10th is 8.00pm. I am not sure what time the cruise will leave.

I am trying to decided whether I should do my scheduled 45 min run, or my long run today. Decisions, Decisions.

Whatever I decide to do, I will be enjoying my extra day off!:D

Originally posted by Auntmeme
Happy Birthday Lisa & Jackie:bday: :bday: I'm staying away from that chocolate cake clippie becvause it will make me want some;)

My snacking at night is not going well - any advice?????

Congrats Karen on the 8 miler :Pinkbounc :bounce: Awesome!

I'm scheduled to do 8 maybe 10 miles today while ds is in school but without a walking buddy I think I'll be bored. Checking out my music now for motivation!have a terrific Thursday!

Thanks for the well wishes---

For the snacking--are you eating before AND after your walks? I am eating all day long with the running. If you are snacking at night out of hunger--you may need to look into an extra snack in the day (closer to your workout) or maybe some larger portion sizes. I graze after dinner--but try to stick with fruit unless it is my birthday ;)

(Being my birthday is before a national holiday and all--I got cannoli's last night and for my snack this morning--talk about a sugar rush--ordinarily I don't do that.).

Good luck!!!

Mary Kathryn is my real name.

I had a pretty good workout today. 4 miles + 1/2 mile warm-up/cool down in 47 min. I'm feeling good about the Marathon - Today. It can change hourly.

I am following a book called the Non-Runner's guide to Maration Training. It was written by two college prof. who teach a marathon class. Each week is divided up into mental and physical training. I thought I would share some of the mental training techniques. They really help with the motivation and the long runs.

1. Have all of your friends and family ask you, on a daily basis, "Are you a marathoner?" You have to answer "Yes! I am a marathoner!"

2. Write a short paragraph about training, and then memorize it. Say it every morning when you get up, in the shower, while stopped at a red light, etc. And especially during your workouts.
For example - mine is "I am a marathoner. I love to run and finding time to run four days a week is easy. I look forward to every run, and I never quit before I finish my runs. I can do ALL things through Christ who strenghthens me. I am a marathoner."

3. Make a mental video tape of you crossing the finish line at Disney. You are strong, and happy, and not tired. Picture every last detail like what you will be wearing, what friends and family will be cheering you at the end, what the finish line will look like. Play back the "tape" when every you get tired during your training, or when you get nervous about the race.

Congrats to all who have been working so hard this week! I am so PROUD of you!

Welcome Mary Kathryn!! :wave2:

Don't I feel bad posting after you. Your post is very inspirational!

Unfortunately I had a bad walk. A really bad walk. Has anyone had a walk so bad would wonder WHY you are even doing it?? That was my long walk. :( I walked 6 miles on Wednesday in 1 hr 55 mins. The first two miles were agony. My legs were screaming and my left ankle was killing me. I actually completed miles 3 & 4 in 35 mins total, for a 17.5 minute mile. I tried calling my dh at the end of mile 4, just to see if he would talk me out of finishing. He was away from his desk. :o I did finish all 6 miles, and did feel better at the end, versus the beginning, but it was a hard walk! It was a bad walk! I have never had one of those before and hope I *never, ever* have one of them again! :mad: Anyone know if this is just something that happens every once in a while?

Today I am going to do my Pilates. I think I need some core strengthening.

STILL no packet here.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

:bday: Jackie! :bday: Lisa!

Cheer Up greetey - It happens. Sometimes you just have really bad days. It was my seven mile before my 1/2 that was so horrible I honestly cried for 5 of those miles. Don't worry - your next long walk will be great!

:goodvibes :goodvibes :goodvibes

Team in Training finally registered the Team--YEAH!!!

Got my e-mail registration confirmation...so hopefully, I'll be seeing some sort of packet soon.

***If your confused as to why I wasn't registered yet--Team in Training gets alotted so many spots per race--they wait until recommitment--those who think they can do the race AND raise the money and sign their name away on paper--then they register us which has just happened.***

Geetey--good luck on your next workout--I had several days like that back in July--it became evident it was due to a yucky yucky cold that sidelined me for two weeks. Congrats on finishing the 6 miles--but listen to that body of yours :) Don't want to see you sidelined after all of your hard work!

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Terry. I am still celebrating, BTW. Going out for breakfast buffet on Sunday (all protien, no sweets) and then to see the Bridget Jones movie. I'm being taken out by PixieMagic who is also doing the 1/2, so there will be no 'cheating' food wise........but, there may be some 'special' coffee consumption ::yes:: That is provided I can walk Sunday as Saturday is my 6 mile day!

Went down to the gym at lunch and 'played around' with some weights....the girl who's going to show me the right way wasn't able to do it today, but we will do it next week.

Rachael, thanks for the info on WISHES.

We'll now I'm off to the trip planning boards to see if I can find out how much Mears is from the airport to Disney. Hope to be finalizing my dates and booking airlines soon.

I CONFESS!!!

I had a very bad eatting today. First off I went to I-hop and had french toast...yes with margarine and syrup. Then I had Wendys for lunch Jr. Cheesburger Deluxe, French Fries, a five piece nugget and yes again a chocolate frosty. Then I really thirsty while out and instead of drinking water, I wanted to try the new Pepsi Holiday Spice. I drank the whole damn bottle. All of this I sucked in today are USELESS calories. I'm very mad at myself. And to top everything off NO I did not run or exercise today. I feel like a cow right now and my body is feeling very blah. My metabolism is going through the roof. I've been doing so well with no sugar, no red meat and no breads for the past two weeks. What went wrong today! I hate eating like I did today. Tomorrow will definitley be a different day. I need to scrub clean :mad:

Go ahead and flame me...I deserve it!

:wave2: Mary Kathryn. One of my favourite names-I wanted to name #5 that, but DH said "no Mary". So Molly Catherine-Molly Kate-it was. :cool: Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to use it this weekend. It's a busy one for me-report cards are due- but I want to find the hours to do my long walk.

Terry, ::yes:: we've all walked those walks. And the closer it gets the more I say, 22 KILOMETRES, just who am I kidding :confused: -especially since I've gained some weight!
But we can do it, hun. I know we can! We are strong, we're invincible, we're...crazy :teeth:

Lisa, it's so exciting to KNOW that you are REALLY going to do this...and that it is OFFICIAL!

Jackie, I think Mears is $26 return. Since I am flying solo. . .and the sisters' flight gets in so much earlier than mine, I'll be moving from MCO to WL on my own. Had a fleeting thought of using the Lynx, but I have determined that that is not a plan-I'll be too excited. I don't want to drive from the airport, so....Mears it'll have to be.

Kim-NO flames from me. I had a blast at our dinner last night. One of our staff was recognized as the city's elementary Coach of the Year, and my first principal here in London, was inducted into the city's Sports Hall of Fame. It was nice to be there for that event. And the food was FABULOUS. Hmmm. Guess I'll have to be sure to walk today! :hyper:

Have a great day everyone. TGIF

Originally posted by Debbie
Jackie, I think Mears is $26 return. Since I am flying solo. . .and the sisters' flight gets in so much earlier than mine, I'll be moving from MCO to WL on my own. Had a fleeting thought of using the Lynx, but I have determined that that is not a plan-I'll be too excited. I don't want to drive from the airport, so....Mears it'll have to be.
[/COLOR]
[/B]

Everything I've been reading is starting to freak me out about Mears....mostly the part that it takes about one hour longer than a taxi/towncar. That's waiting about 30 mins after you check in to get on their 'bus' and another 30 making more stops at the airport and multiple hotels. I'm thinking of springing for a town car, though for a single person it seems pricy. Maybe when my flights are booked, I'll post here (WISH board) and see if anyone is arriving the same date and nearly same time of day and would want to share.....a long shot, but not impossible. (How long are you staying......I'm thinking of upgrading to WL on Monday after the race and staying for a few more days? ....nice AP rate for them and AKL....must decide)

Kimickey....when tempted, I've started using the mantra, "I'm in training, I'm in training" It ALMOST worked last night, but I had some french fries anyway :crazy: It DID work when I was asked if I wanted any dessert though!:sunny:

I walked for 33 minutes last night. Today is my cross-training day. I am looking forward to the weekend.

Kim- You have been doing such a great job with your training that I would not let one day of french toast and frosty get you down. Today is a new day. princess:

Originally posted by KatieBelle

Kim- You have been doing such a great job with your training that I would not let one day of french toast and frosty get you down. Today is a new day. princess:

Well said ... I couldn't agree more!

Yesterday was a rest day for me, so I'm hoping for Curves tonight after work. I hate that it closes at 7PM on Fridays ... that's actually the one night that being open til 8 would benefit me greatly.

gotta do a loooonnnggg walk either Sat or Sun ...

Happy Friday everyone!

Mary-Liz

I've been bad! the last few days have been parent-teacher conferences at my school. Very stressful time since I am the Special Ed. Teacher and when a child is not making progress I get called in for expertise. I run all over the school(does that count as miles?) and have no set lunch or dinner. I had peanut M &Ms and a cheeseburger.(see Kimmickey - we all blow it occationally, at least we are aware we are blowing it) Today I am off so I am going to go for a WOG as soon as I finish this. I booked my car rental through National for 8 days @ 161.95. If I use the entertainment coupon , it might only be 141.95. I just need to get a place to stay and WDW passes. Am watching many sites and hoping for a great deal.
Yesterday my oldest turned 25. He is going to be so surprised when he finds out he is going to WDW.
Happy birthday to fellow Scorpios. I know how passionate you all are!!!
I'll be celbrating on the 21st.
Have a wonderful training weekend!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter