Marathon Training Thread for 10/24-10/31

Originally posted by Kimickey
You are so right, running a marathon was the last thing on my mind a year ago. Matter of fact it wasn't even an idea. I'm doing this run/walk to prove to myself I can do it. I love self challenges. Plus my kids and husband inspire me to do my absolute best. Losing the weight from my sons birth has been a challenge and this race gives me all of the drive I need to get back down to my pre-pregnacy weight.

Well, your current pic speaks well of your progress. Congratulations.

I'm finally at Wedding Day weight--which is about 5 pounds or so above where I would like to be--but 10-15 pounds less than my pre-pregnancy weight before either baby :)

Hi all you wonderful wishers:wave:

Congrats to the Canada Team:Pinkbounc sounds like a fantastic day was had - great job:bounce:

I feel as though I have been so busy and I don't have much time now. so my progress this week has been
Sun- 1.8 (little time)
Mon- 3
Tues - 5
scheduled for today and it is a bit chilly out:eek:

I bought a new pair of cool max pants but could not find a ls coolmax shirt - ideas on where to go?

I'll be checking out amazon.com too, love to have music whne I walk alone. Got to go - keep up the great job everyone:wave:

good morning all :)

first off -- the age question -- i'm 32 :wave2:

secondly -- please post what/where you ordered for your race day shirt -- i'm feeling like its time to do this. I know Kamy posted something b4 - anyone have that still?

foggy morning here - but got out early and did my 2.8 mile loop for 30 mins powerwalk and stride drills (warm-up/cool-down too) and was pleased to hit my stride drill starting line two minutes faster than last week. i kept reminding myself to push push push; this wasn't an endurance day for me:hyper:

speaking of fabulous pics (kimickey I would've NEVER thought you struggled with your weight you look fantastic!) i have noticed our tigerlily has a new siggie pic and even in profile she looks quite a bit trimmer than her last!! WTG!

i was thinking today too -- can't believe it's like almost two months away! i always envision the homestretch and crossing that finish line!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :teeth:

Originally posted by Susan--Ontario
Okay, I give..

what are stride drills???:earseek:

I'm not totally sure, but I want to say they would remind me of what we used to call "suicide drills" back in highschool basketball :earseek: And the name certainly fit the exercise! I think Debbie has the book that they got these from, so maybe she can bring it on Saturday and do a demo for us. I can't think of a more enjoyable time than sitting on your front porch, eating cake and drinking tea, and WATCHING Debbie demo these for us. :teeth:

Have a great day everyone! I think the past week is finally catching up on me. Fell asleep at 9pm last night, and have a sore stomach today.

Mary-Liz

Sorry I haven't been able to post yet this week, but I did want to check in! I have been doing my training. :jumping4: :jumping4: :jumping4: 30 minutes walking, 30 minutes cross-traiing, and today - FIVE miles! :earseek: I am feeling okay. Rather disappointed in my time because I *thought* I was really booking! I walked 5.2 miles in 104 minutes. (That time includes my 5 minute s-l-o-w walk warmup.) That works out to a 20 minute mile average. I guess I am happy that my time for the last .5 mile I did was 9 minutes, so I was actually getting faster as I walked.
icon_shrug.gif
Perhaps next time, we won't start tracking our distance until after the 5 minute warmup.

How does everyone else treat their warmup? I don't know if I will be able to walk enough before the actual half to be warmed up and ready to start off at full force.

I spent a LOT of time cooling down and stretching. I hope that helps my calves to continue to stay loose. They didn't cramp up on me this time. :hyper:

This week I also went to see my MS doctor. She says I am doing FAAAA-Boo! She also says I am crazy to even be thinking about walking a half marathon but wants to see pictures at my next appt (which is in January 05). :jumping1:

Tomorrow is (thankfully) a day of rest but I will try and come back to read the thread and see how everyone is doing! :wave2:

I don't know what stride drills are--but we have different "excercises" if you will when we are training. Basically we train more than just to make it. We do things to improve pace, endurance, and oxygen flow/cardio.

Several weeks ago--we did some drills--where midpoint through the run or walk--you would increase your pace by about 20-30% for 10 minutes. So I went from a 5mph run to a 6.5mph run. In one weeks time--I shaved alot of time of my pace. About 15 seconds and then another 15 seconds the following week. This is all while the distance is going up--I did 7 miles at 12.75 minute pace, 8 miles at 12.5 pace and then 10 miles at 12 minute pace.

I highly recommend anything that improves your pacing--especially if you are as impatient as I and just want to get the time to fly :)

Got my 12 mile run in the morning--pacing will be off as it will include a bridge--but I only have to go over it 2 times instead of 4 times like last week (ugh!!!). Last week b/c of the "hilly" route we took--people who live in the mountains might call it the speed bump route :hyper: --my pace was way off at 13.63 minutes. So we will see!!! If I have time, I will post before I head off to the World tomorrow for MNSSHP!!!!

(Yes I am crazy for running tomorrow--but I rather look forward to the weekend instead of dreading the run on Sunday :crazy: )

Hi Lisa loves Pooh,
Can you give us some more details about the different exercises you are doing? I would love to hear what the TNT trainers are teaching you. ::yes:: Especially when it comes to speed drills! :hyper:
Thanks!

I can't think of a more enjoyable time than sitting on your front porch, eating cake and drinking tea, and WATCHING Debbie demo these for us.

Uh....I don't think so!!! I'll bring the book and we can look through it together. Stride drills are done to improve your pace. They are done at a goodly speed, all the while you are concentrating on proper movements. You can concentrate on the bum wiggle if you'd like! WOG RULES in MY stride drills. lol

Did my cross-training (Curves) tonight. I haven't done a whole lot on the WATP this week....my bed has been too comfy in the mornings. :teeth:

Originally posted by geetey
Hi Lisa loves Pooh,
Can you give us some more details about the different exercises you are doing? I would love to hear what the TNT trainers are teaching you. ::yes:: Especially when it comes to speed drills! :hyper:
Thanks!

As soon as I can translate their lingo I will share :)
There are four phases and we just entered phase three...it is called VO2 max--I have no earthly idea what it means--the O2 represents Oxygen--basically we do very short runs of 2 to 3 miles at very quick paces with tiny breaks if necessary--this I THINK helps improve oxygen flow through the body. All phases in the end will improve pace. Just when you think you are as slow as molasses--turns out your not :) I'll elaborate--got to get to bed for that lovely 5am 12 mile run :)

I will look up the other stuff and get back to you--they still owe me this particular handout though.

Everyone sounds like they are doing great on their training! Keep up the good work all!

I did 3 miles today at a nice slow pace of 59 minutes. And guess what??? It didn't even bother me that it was slow. I just meandered and enjoyed it. Aren't you proud of me? :p

Does anyone wqant to join me in a "After Halloween is over I wont' touch anything sweet until Thanksgiving Day" Challenge??? :teeth:

I think that I can reasonably and rationally take this challenge and succeed with it. Sp- how baout it guys? Wanna join in?

Lisa LovesPooh- It sounds like you really know what you're talking about! Good luck on your run tomorrow. Are you doing the full marathon?

Debbie- I wanna watch you WOG too! Sounds too fun to miss!

tara- did you find a room yet? Congrats on the 5 miles! That's quite and accomplishment! Don't worry too much about your time.... that what my trainer keeps telling me. I have to trust her, because there isn't a whole lot I can do about my time right now! It'll happen! Have FAITH! Stretching is good- keep doing it!

MaryLiz- You deserve a full week of rest! Hope you enjoy it and then..... get back to raining!!

Mom- GREAT time on your last training run. WTG! Ya know.... I'm kinda sad today. All this time I've referred to you as mom..... so I've thought of you as Mom.... and I am soooo much older then you!!! Oh well- you're still mom to me! :eek: :teeth:
Oh!! And you're right (as Mom's always are) Tiger Lily and Kimickey are BABES!!! :teeth:

Meme- wish I could help you with the coolmax shirts- but I have no idea. Good luck with your training this week.

Susan- I think you might be able to buy those CD's at Best Buy- but I am not positive about that. How far away from Detroit are you?

Tomorrow is a 4 mile day! I think I'll take it slow again and work for speed on the weekend.

Good Friday Morning All,

I went to bed early last night because I still hadn't recovered from my late night on Tuesday (when I went to Detroit which is about 2 hours from here). Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately I woke up at 4:00 and couldn't get back to sleep. I got up and did a 2 mile WATP and I did really good at it. My foot hasn't hurt for four days now. Yesterday I again went for a 20 minute walk on my lunch hour.

My family is coming over tomorrow to celebrate my DD's 3rd birthday. That's when Debbie's gonna do her thing for us.:hyper:

I hope that everyone has a great weekend and don't eat too much halloween candy.

:earseek:

One week from today we'll be heading down the highway!! :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Hi All...

Clarification--I have no idea what I am talking about--I am just a good regurgitator of information--I'll include my citations next time so you don't think it is all me ;) Found my handouts from training--I can post what I can. It does contain the "strides" information--I wonder if it is the same as our friends were speaking about earlier.

Ran my 12 lonely miles this morning...time 2h 32m 28s. 12.71 minute mile. Not as quick as I like--but I ran the bridge again to have enough distance.

Off to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!!!

Enjoy your weekend girls!!!!

Lisa

Well. I have been gone for quite a while. I have not been walking or dieting or eating right. For example, I had Ben & Jerry's ice cream last night for dinner! Someone mercilessly opened a Ben & Jerry's stand in the lobby of my office building. I am still hooked on Starbucks, but I have finally given up the high calorie Frappacinos. (Of course replacing them with Ben & Jerry's probably is not the best plan :) )

Anyway, I digress. I am back--five pounds heavier than when I left and ready to get serious again. All of you really inspire me. I will get out this weekend and walk. Today is the first day of the rest of my life. I want to do this marathon. I may not finish, but I am going to try my best.

By the way, it does not help that my DH is doing GREAT in his training for the full marathon and has lost A LOT of weight and gets to eat all the ice cream he wants without gaining a pound! He now weighs less than he did in college. We are now 10 pounds apart. I better start moving! princess:

TGIF:Pinkbounc

Walked 3.5 yesterday and may get in something this afternoon, it's drizzly & damp:( so maybe tm.

I checked out amazon for cds - who has what? I liked the songs on shape fitness walk2 70's & ultimate dance party, any recommendations & who knows how to download music- that way I could pick songs I wanted. HELP!

I ordered plain t-shirts from the site Kamy listed greatstufftowear.com, there is a lime green tee - what about a logo? any word?

Ashley have you been able to update the database list?

And thanks AEG for the travel site - fabu - I got airfare for a trip in March still looking for January tickets.

Karen - I'm in for the no sweets after halloween till thanksgiving:sad: I guess this includes mini chocolates, I only have 1 each nite, aren't they calorie free?their so small;)

MeMe- I sent Kamy an email at the beginning of the week, but have not heard from her yet. She is the one doing the logo for the group. I don't know if you can download that music from Amazon. Are you sure you can do that? Thanks for joining me opn the no sweets thing- it'll help!

Does anyone wqant to join me in a "After Halloween is over I wont' touch anything sweet until Thanksgiving Day" Challenge???

karebear1,

I'm so up for this challeng as sweets are my biggest down fall. When are we starting? And why type of sweets can we not have?

BTW I'm going through all of the post and everyone is listing how old they are. I guess I am the baby "literally" For I am only 26 soon to be 27 on December 10th. YIKES!!!! :duck:

I'm thinking that fruit- in it'snatural form- no canned- or fruit pies etc. is OK. But that's all! No other kind of sweet anything......... unless it's Lovin' :p

We start November 1st. FIRST thing in the morning!

I just finished my 4 mile walk today. I'll tell ya- it sure is hard to get started isn't it? I want to put it off and put it off, then, once I'm past that first 2 miles I could just keep walking!

I was watching Finding Nemo this morning while I was walking on the treadmill. I have to say I really related to that movie at the end when they're caught in the net. If we just Keep swimming and band together WE CAN DO IT!! :teeth: (We need a little swimming nemo smilie guy!)

Oh- and Kimickey.... we have 1 more younger then you. Ashley (littlemissmickey) is 22 I think!

I can't believe i am going to type this, but I hope my trainer posts that I need to do 8 miles this weekend. I am so ready to do it.... well..... at least today I am!

And finally- I need some advice. My DH and I are going to Salt Lake City in 2 weeks for a few days. e have some friends coming in from Australia! We'll be there Thursday- Sunday. I need tips on keeping on program while there. I'm not real good at keeping up my walking while I'm on vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter