Marathon Training Thread for 10/24-10/31

Karen ... you're doing so awesome! I'm proud of everyone, but especially proud of you. You continue to be an inspiration as the countdown continues! Don't stress about doing a loooonnnng walk while you're away ... make a deal to do a nice 30min easy walk each morning. It will be a refreshing start to your days, and you won't think that you're "not" training.

Have a great weekend everyone! I'll be back in training mode next week ... I just have to figure out which week of Hal Higdon's training schedule to start at again. Outdoor training gets a little tougher here in SW Ontario come Dec ... so we'll have to figure something out. I just don't think I can "mall walk" for a couple of hours :rolleyes: ... it'd be too boring. Either that or the stores would distract me and I'll end up spending way too much money :teeth:

Mary-Liz

Originally posted by Debbie
WOG RULES in MY stride drills.
Right on there! That was me this week!
Everyone is getting on just fabulous! We are doing it!

Good to see more of us checking in and sharing.

Karen, I'm not sure about that commitment on no sweets. I was weak yesterday and had more than I should have. I think I felt bulimec (sp?) as I stuffed junk in me and just kept on. First it was the small size chocolate, then it was the chips and finally a Klondike bar! Egad...I may be done but I can't promise myself or anyone that I won't fall.

It has been a fabulous week up here on the North Coast, USA (Cleveland Ohio area)

I just HAD to be outside for our unseasonably warm weather. Sun, Mon and Wed. I was on the Towpath walking. I did some fast, some slow and minimum of 60 minutes duration. I took off from walking and only did Pilates Thurs and Fri. My goal is not to do a 12 min/mile but to rather complete the event in under the sweep time. I am already at my goal as I am certain that I can do this part. Now I look to make the time a bit shorter, but I don't have the desire to make it race pace. I want to savor each step as I struggle to the end.
:crazy:

Sorry, I can't help with the cool max question. Have you tried local running stores?

...and yes, I guess it is time to get serious and "get stuff" as I figure I will be looking up those sites for lime green and race memorabilia shirts hopefully tomorrow.

Maryliz- Thnaks for hte vote of confidence. It's so wonderful and encouraging to know that there are poeple taht understand you and support you! :hugs:

Hey everyone! I found some coolmax clothes on sale! Go here!

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/EU...olmax&N=0&Nao=20&Ntx=mode+matchallany&Ntk=All

There are some shorts- sizes are limited, because they are sale items. Hope you can find something!

FOUND SOME MORE!!!

http://www.zyflex.com/store/productDetail.asp?id=11&cID=9&sID=6

Now here's a DEAL!! And the color is COOL!

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...outlet&source=17457&cm_pla=na&cm_cat=datafeed

Ya think for 7.00 we could all get the same color shorts??!??? They're coolmax!

And- this last site is a really good one!

http://www1.pricetool.com/xDN-Clothing-coolmax

Happy shopping everyone!

Well, i finally went and got my new Clippee (15#)!! The pounds come off so slowly!!! My staff keeps commenting how good I look so I feel great about it. My clothes are looser too. I have been not so good for 2 days but I decided i needed to get some inspiration. I did goof up my countdown so, I got rid of it and will reinstall it later.
Yesterday was party day at school for the kids during the day and for the staff last night. I must of had 4 mini cupcakes and I don't even like cake. I felt like one of the previous posters(bulimic) I just wanted to get rid of it! Last night was fun though. My last duty as a Union Settlement Chair was the wrap up party. It came off without a hitch. We had it at the Country club and had Walleye(fish from our Northern waters) . It was so wonderful!! I had a few adult beverages and danced a lot. Now I am going to write my letter of resignation. Wheww!!!

Tonight it is off to a Halloween party!! There will be no training this weekend but big time on Mon.-Fri. because Sun . I run a 10K for the United Way! I'm really looking forward to it!! I hope the weather is better next Sun. Today it is 40 degrees , grey, raining and wind of 30-40 mph!! Gross day!! Tomorrow is suppose to be the same.

Glad everyone is doing so well!!! We will cross that finish line together!!!

no time to read all posts -- just wanted to check in and post that I managed to get a long powerwalk in (walking 6.5 and jogging just 1 mile) in one hour and 35 mins -- pleased with that though i'm feeling yucky b/c I didn't eat good this week -- off to shower and go out for post-anniversary dinner and hope to catch up on my buddies by reading up later tonight!!

Karen, thanks for those links. I may have to take advantage of something.

decaff--Beckie, Whoo Hoo! you have a new clippie. That is great news! You are doing great!

Molli, hope you enjoyed your evening.

Does anyone know whether it would be short sleeve or long sleeve as we get moving in January? I see by some pics that people are in both. I am wondering what to buy.

Today was a georgeous day here 75º, but very windy. I spent a good part of it cleaning the house and didn't really get outside as I would have liked. DH was working and when he got home we went to the gym together. I did some recumbant bike, and tried the eliptical as there was no one else waiting for it as is usually the case. I felt awkward on that eliptical contraption. I may like to try it again. I think I could like it though. Oh the choices... Also did a weight machine circuit and some stretching after. Total time spent was an hour.

DH and I went to dinner afterward and then he got called into work as we were about halfway through dinner. He got a second call for a different location as he was taking me home. He will have close to 60 hours of work in his first week back. They just work their people to death. I wish he would get OT for all this or at least a decent salary for this trouble. He will be tired and the evening is gone. I feel bad for him.

Oh well, I am finishing some clothes and going to wait for him to return.

Hey Everyone!

I wanted to drop you guys a quick note and say hello!! You are all doing so great with your training!! I love reading about everyone getting ready for the big day…picking up the pace through music, trying to decide what you will start the race wearing, etc….For me, I would probably pack both long and short sleeves and decide when you get there. Had we done a marathon last December when we were there, we would have needed long sweats (and probably layers of those!) so you just never know until the day hits.

I wanted to let you know that I am now out of the race. I need to contact Disney and find out what it takes to transfer my registration from the 2005 race to the 2006 race. If any of you know, please PM me! Thanks! I have been off of my training since mid September and I’m not able to get back to training for awhile, so it’s best for me to just postpone to 2006. We have also cancelled our family trip that was supposed to start this coming Saturday. We are tentatively rescheduling that for early March. I’m a bit nervous as we’ve never gone in March.

My mom is still hanging in there. We have days that we aren’t sure she will make it through the week, and then she’ll rally a bit and be better than she’s been in a month. Hospice terms her “state” as steady decline. We haven’t gotten our “comfort box” yet, so I know that they don’t consider her in her final stages yet. In so many ways we’ve already lost her because now any time she talks it’s strictly to talk about her medication schedule or to ask for something she needs. Talking takes too much of her energy, so we aren’t able to have real conversations, but as I lotion and rub her feet each day, I see in her eyes all she needs to say. She has only left her house one time since hurricane Ivan and that really exhausted her. (and everyone else!)

We’re still trying to recover from the storm. We are so fortunate compared to many, though. We hear the heartbreaking stories everyday and I am just amazed at other people’s strength and resilience. It just reminds me that life is truly a great marathon and it takes strength and courage to keep on keeping’ on, doesn’t it?

Well, I’m “burying” this post at the end of last weeks thread. I just feel that since June I have had so little to say that has been positive!! I’m usually not like that!

I applaud all of you for your drive in achieving this goal! I’ll be cheering each of you on in spirit and hopefully get to meet some of you in 2006!

Happy trails!
~~Beth
(wish walkers cheering section!)

I just found on hte marathon site that I can't transfer my registration fee to the 2006 race. Thank you if any of you had set out to find the info for me.

Happy training!
~~Beth

You can't transfer the fee--but you are automatically entered, if that helps..so no having to rush and try to get it before they max out on applicants.

Beth- I was just going to PM you nad I come to the thread and see your post!

I must tell you , Beth, that while you think you have no posititve thing to say, I believe your posts have been very uplifting and positive. You always amaze me with the words that are typed when you post. They are elloquent and full of love.

I'm sorry to hear that you will not be able to make it for the marathon. I know you have worked so hard and really wanted to be able to do this. You must be terribly disappointed. Please keep in touch with us so we know what is happening with your Mom.

:hugs:

Happy Halloween everyone!
You guys are all doing so well!:Pinkbounc
After last Sunday's 1/2 marathon, I was supposed to take it easy this week. I ended up only walking once all week - and that was only for 30 minutes. I'm pretty sure I wasn't supposed to take it THAT easy! LOL! I woke up at 6:20 this morning and the first thought in my head was "in 10 weeks at this time I'll be at mile ONE!" Guess I'll be back on program tomorrow. Time is going by so fast.
I also wanted to mention that even though Mary Liz & I are proud of our 3 hour, 9 minute time, the Niagara Falls 1/2 marathon is all flat land with the last two miles being downhill. So, naturally the times are faster in Niagara Falls than for other similar marathons. I just want to be able to get to the finish line at Disney in 3.5 hours.

Beth - I'm so sorry that you are going through such a rough time. I'm sure that everyone on this board is thinking of you.

Hope everyone has a great week! (and let's get rid of that Halloween candy as of midnight tonight)

I ran/walked one mile yesterday in 15:30. I now feel confident that I can at least make it one mile without getting swept. Since I know that I can make the time, I am now going to concentrate on distance and endurance. I walked 2 miles this morning. I appreciate the training schedules that have been posted. Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween everyone!!!!

How is everybody's weekend been so far? I just relaxed and enjoyed the high 80 degree weather we are having here in Mississippi. I'm in for a rude awakening when I return home to Maryland on 17 November.

Anyway I went shopping yesterday. And I'm happy to report that I'm now fitting into a size 6, 7, or 8 depending on the style and cut of the clothing. I went into Ralph Lauren and bought three pairs of pants at a size 6. I then went into Tommy Hilfiger and bought a pair of jeans in a size 8 :rolleyes: I guess because my body is going through a transition I'm inbetween. But I"m happy. It's a far cry from the 180 lbs I was at during the beginning of the year after having Jordan.

I just got back in from running three miles. It took me about 30 minutes after stopping twice to figure out what was wrong with my Ipod.

I'm off to wash clothes and study. I have a test on Thursday :(

Kudos to you Kimickey on our shopping trip sizing adventure!!!

I'm in 8s and 10s--wedding day sizes--HOORAY!!!

Can't wait to shimmy into a 6 someday--I need to get back to my SBD principles and stop enjoying the sugar!!! However, I think I'll indulge in a couple more Halloween treats and start in November :hyper:

My legs were sooooooooo sore after my 12 mile run--I was so close to wanting to rent a wheel chair at Disney--they hurt that bad! Mostly in the sitting down (putting the weight on my arms while sitting down and getting up helped) and putting my weight on my arms when ascending/descending the tram or a stair case. Actual walking didn't hurt unless it involved a slope, hill, or stairs. I must have lifted my legs really high or something while running. I sure hope my quads start to look pretty--they must be toning up really good! I might add--that when increasing mileage (my longest run before this was only 10 and it wasn't that bad)--don't increase and then do Disney for 2 days--:hyper: For those planning park time post marathon--I would plan for that Monday to be an off day for you and schedule a massage. I was doing hunky doory fine on all my training--very little if any muscle soreness--and then BAM!!!! Pain, Pain, Pain--and no injuries to speak of--didn't hurt until the next day. Take that Monday off and your vacation for the rest of the week shall be wonderful!!!!

Not looking forward to running in the morning--I think I will do an easy 3 on the treadmill.

I have my garage sale fundraiser this week--I so do not like garage sales...but it is for a cause--I have gotten a lot of stuff donated, now I just need to get it out of my garage! I need to go through it all--but I really really really do not feel like it at all.

Took DD christmas window shopping today---turns out Dora is really big this fall and Fisher price tanked on having enough inventory. The doll house that she used to want but no longer does (thank goodness)--is available, but the dora furniture is not--it is ebay or no way. Really rediculous if you ask me--hadn't even heard of it and we just saw it on the shelf one day. The doll she wants--is available as are most of the outfits--discovered that one of the outfits--isn't available on line--so I will be going first thing tomorrow a.m. and snatching it off of the shelves...for the less than stellar christmas season expected in Florida for the retail industry--my daughter managed to pick the one toy that could save Christmas for them--and she doesn't even watch commercial television. :hyper: So my "marathon" tip this week--is to start early on that Christmas shopping--or you'll wear yourselves out so much later that you wont' be able to do your training walks/jogs/wogs/ or runs :hyper: :hyper:

Have a good week--I may repost on the new link in case it is up before you read here!

Lisa

Lisa loves Pooh

Are you joining karebear1 and I starting tomorrow with the no sugar challenge until Thanksgiving?

I admire you, being able to run 10 miles. I have not quite worked my body up to that. I'm still at 5 miles. I have increased my speed which is a great milestone for me. This upcoming weekend I will run my first 3k. Although not far, it's still good practice for me.

On Friday the team leaders (me included) were told that our last day for taking on new work would be Jan 21st, and then as the work volume decreases we will start sending people home. We will announce to the staff tomorrow morning. So that will be a good day.

So we expect to be fully done by the 23rd or 24th. We were hoping for April, but now it's less than 3 months away.

Our vacation entitlement gets prorated down to 1/12th - so I am entitled to 1.6 days or something!

So my disney world vacation will now be unpaid vacation, and not only that but I get to come back and work 5 -7 more days and then I will be done.

The good things to come out of this - I have learnt way more about pensions and retirement than I ever needed to know (I am 34!).

I have helped build and critiqued quite a few resumes and cover letters, so by the time I get round to writing mine it will be a knockout!

In talking to my staff about what they want to do, and how to do it, and to take this opportunity and do what they have always talked about and never done, I now know that what I do now, it what I really enjoy, so I will keep looking in this field.

And the big advantage - it's brought out the very best in DH!

I have also noticed that I am not overly concerned about myself, but am concerned about my staff and how they are coping. DH and I went through a period of 2 years where I didn't work and we only had one income (I was waiting for my immigration to go through), so we know we can survive. Our mortgage is less than is used to be, and we can cut back on entertainment etc, so it's not the unknown and scary prospect that it is to some of my staff.

Stress is also great for weight loss - I have lost 8 pounds! But that could also be the running, walking, yoga and pilates starting to pay off.

This week I am going to join DHs gym so I can doing some toning with weights, and if the weather is really bad I can run on the treadmill.

Lisalovespooh and Decaff38 - I also run/walk. For shorter distances I run 10/walk 1. Right now I am trying run 5/walk 1 for longer distances.

Our flight arrives into MCO at 10.10 pm on Friday night, are we going to be able to find anything to eat at that time?

Does anyone have the June, August, September and October disney marathon weekend newsletters? I haven't received them.

Originally posted by Rachael Q
Does anyone have the June, August, September and October disney marathon weekend newsletters? I haven't received them.

Hi Rachael
I have posted the newsletters here I didn't receive a June newsletter. The newsletters typically are emailed to me at the end of each month. I didn't receive an October email *but* the November one came on the 1st, so it essentially the October newsletter, in my opinion. I hope the link is helpful.

I know that *somewhere* will still have food for you when you arrive that late - just not sure where. I know we have gotten a last minute meal in the food courts -- I believe the resort food courts close at midnight. Will you have a car available? Something over by Downtown Disney will be open - even if it is just Taco Bell!

Sorry about the job situation but it sounds like you are handling it wonderfully! ::yes:: Good luck to you and your staff!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter