Marathon Training Thread for 10/24-10/31

karebear1

<font color=purple>BL II - Purple Team<br><font co
I wanted to start this weeks thread out with reports from our Team Canada members! I'm so excited to hear the detail about how they did on their half marathon!!!

I got the 2 cd's I ordered in the mail yetserday. They are great- and I think I will have NO PROBLEM keeping up to the beats on those tapes. The fastest cd has you doing 4.5 miles in an hour of music- if I can get use to that one, I'll be good to go for the half. Then all I have to do is get an MP3 player, download them onto taht and get a wireless headphone. I'll put the MP3 player in my fanny pack when I walk and put only 1 remote ear phone in and turn the volume down some so I know what's going on around me. That way I can hear the beat and walk to it and get the walk done in the proper amount of time. I'm getting TOO EXCITED for this half marathon!!!

Remember the days when we first started training and how overwhelming the idea of doing a half marathon was????? I can't believe that I think I can do it! I think I'm feeling that adrenaline pump my trainer keeps telling me about!

Now..... I just need to hear how the half went for our girls! :hyper:

How's everyone else doing ????

Well - we're back and we did it!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc We finished 13.1 miles in 3 hours, 9 minutes, 29 seconds (Maryliz beat me by 2 seconds:) ) That works out to a 14.5 minute mile. Our goal was a 15 minute mile, so we're pleased. The day was overcast with a bit of drizzle and about 50 degrees. I'll let Mary Liz tell you a bit more as I haven't even had my shower yet. Thanks for your good wishes and support.
Nancy

Hi everyone. First, thanks so much for all of the support you have all given us this week. We certainly felt all of your PD when we were out there this morning :) What a great experience it was! We were very fortunate because we only had to wait around at the start line for less than 30 minutes. They had it all very organized. At each mile marker, they had water/Gatorade stations set up. Each station was manned by a different school. the smaller kids were really cute, and had obviously been coached in what to yell to the walkers/runners as they passed by. The high school kids were absolutely hilarious. Some had entire cheerleading squads, others were dressed in wigs, face paint, lots of signs, and of course, incredibly noisy in their encouragement ... it was awesome :teeth: When we got to mile 10, and they were all shouting "only 3 miles to go", it was a great feeling. We both wore windpants and jackets, although we did remove the jackets for most of it -- but when we needed them, we needed them ::yes:: We ate our carbs every 30 minutes, and it seemed to make the time go by faster.

Good news ... port-a-potties at every mile :teeth: Nancy was brave and held off, but at mile 8, I had to give in. But it made a huge difference for me after that, so work some pottie breaks into your training times :hyper:

Other than being a little tired, and a sore left butt-cheek :rolleyes: I'm feeling not too bad right now. So now we've proven that we ALL CAN do this! ::yes:: I'm taking a few days off from training this week, although I might try to get to Curves a couple of times. Happy training everyone!

Mary-Liz

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

YOU TWO RULE!!!!! What an awesome time you had!!!! Was that walking only- or did you WOG or run????

Were you pooped at the end, or was mile 10 where the adrenaline popped in? Did you feel like you were going at your normal pace, or at a faster pace? What did you snack on every 30 minutes? Did you take pics? I WANT PICS!!!!! PLEASE! :p Was music playing for you to hear? Did you get bored through any part of the walk?

I am so proud of both of you! What great examples you are for us! CONGRATULATIONS!

Thanks Karen,
We were in the walking division so we weren't supposed to run. Can you believe that the winner of the walking division made it in 1 hour, 53 minutes? I would have liked to watch their technique but they were out of the starting gate pretty quickly. I snacked on red licorice and Swedish berries. Mary Liz had licorice and some power gels. We were going faster than our normal pace. At mile 10 we were excited thinking that there were only 3 miles to go. However, we didn't walk any faster at the end then throughout the rest of the race. I guess we didn't really get that adrenaline rush that everyone talks about. Some of the runners seemed to take it up a notch at the end. There wasn't any music playing and although a few people did have headphones, most didn't. We didn't really get bored, but in general the walkers were quieter during the middle miles. I expect that part of the Disney marathon will be boring since we'll just be on the highway. Can't believe we're only 11 weeks away! Keep up the fantastic work everyone!
Nancy

Oh Boy it is great to hear form Team Canada! So glad to hear success! I was hoping you had a wonderful day weather-wise as well. I just knew you could do it! I am so impressed with your time. That is fantastic. You guys will leave me in the dust, but I expect you to hang about and cheer me in.
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
Karen, Did you order those CD's from the link Molli put in last week? I have not checked it out yet but am thinking of doing so.

Well today I walked for 9 miles. I really putzed on this one as I belted up with my camera like I will have with me when it is for real. The day was so spectacular and weather so cooperative I took pics. I have no idea if the pics turned out as they are still in my camera, but the process was fun. I did the 9 miles in 2 hours and 30 minutes. I figure that it is quite respectable since I snapped a bunch of shots. I now realize that I CAN do this. I am still having some issues with foot pain, but not as bad and I was able to walk on.

When I got home DH was waiting for me ready to go to the gym. I did a machine circuit (upper body only) swam to stretch only a few laps and sat in the warm/hot tub. They don't keep it too hot, but I enjoyed the bubble massage.

Way to go Mary Liz and Nancy!!!!! I'm glad now that I didn't agree to do this with you guys. I think it would have cooked my foot totally for the marathon.

Haven't done much all week really (unless you call housework, packing Operation Christmas Child boxes, and celebrating my DD's 3rd birthday). My foot hasn't hurt for two days now. yesterday I did a 1 mile WATP and there was no problem at all. I think I'll try and get some walking in this week. I want this foot totally healed for when we go to WDW in less than two weeks.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Rachael, I too hope to cross the finish line without dropping or throwing up. Actually I hope to cross it ahead of at least one other person if possible.

When Nancy told me her time yesterday I thought to myself we are in so much trouble; then she reminded me that we still have 11 weeks to go. I must arrange to get my treadmill repaired because I think by the time I'm home from Florida the snow may be flying and I'll be less likely to head out. I will make that appointment today because I'm going to be home with a sick DS. Lucky me I was woke up at 4:00 by a barfing boy. Does cleaning up a sick child count as cross training???:crazy:

Have a super day everyone. It's going to be sunny and 70 here today. I'm going to try and start packing. THAT definitely counts as cross training.:hyper:

I'm still so excited for Mary Liz and Nancy! I actually think that my excitement for you rubbed off on me yesterday. For the FIRST TIME EVER..... I walked a 16:17 mile avereage on 4 miles that I walked!

:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I used the new walking CD's that I ordered and it really worked. The first CD that I bought says that you should get 4 miles done in the hour long tape if you walk to the beat. Well- I walked to the beat and after the first 2 songs were done, my calves were cramping so bad! SO- I just kept replaying the first 2 songs until the cramps went away- and by the end of the walk, I was walking into the 3rd and 4th songs.... with no cramps! I'm so excited because now I know I can do this. I had lots of energy by the end of that 4 miles, but I didin't want to over do it with my SI joint problem from last week, so I quit. BUT- I have a build up of miles on my daily walking this week- including the walking 4 miles on a weekday instead of 2 or 3. Progress is being made! Wooohoooo!

Susan- so sorry your little boy isn't feeling so well. Give him a hug from all of us. Hope he feels btter quick! And, I'm glad to hear that your foot is feeling better. You WILL cross that finish line!

Lily- Molli is a smart cookie and I think you should listen to her!!! I did order those CD's and they were really wonderful for me! They can really get you moving and you'll have a better time before you know it. I just can't get over how well walking to the beat did for me! And I feel so much more confident in my ability to finish this marathon within the time alotted. I know if I keep walking with these tapes I will be just fine. SO- if you're worried about your time, get these. They work! You 9 mile walk is very impressive! And your time was great as well. Good for you!1

Nancy K- I'd say both you and MaryLiz had adrenaline galore if you finished in that kind of tie without wogging! You 2 RULE! What kind of medal did you get? How do you feel today? Sore?

75 Days !!!

Susan: Cleaning up after a sick child is definitely cross-training! I hope your little guy feels better soon.

NancyK & Maryliz: Way to go!!!:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

My training has gone very slowly. I haven't added the mileage that I should have by now. I'm going to work on that this week.

Food choices have been pretty good except for the popcorn and beer I had Saturday night while I watched movies and DH was at poker night
:drinking1

DD & DS are sooo excited about Halloween! They keep mentioning new costumes/characters they'd like to be. I've already let them change from Goliath/Jo-Jo to Aurora and Prince Phillip. They're not changing again!! :rolleyes: :mad: They really do look adorable in their costumes. By this time next week it will all be over except for the sugar crash. This year I only bought candy that they like and I find disgusting...NO CHOCOLATE! I have no willpower over a pile of kit-kat or snickers bars.

I hope everyone has a great Monday!

Dawn

Lisa loves Pooh--Lisa I meant to say on the last week’s thread; Welcome! Glad that you have come out of “lurk mode” to join us. You sound as if you have a great time going there. Thanks so much for your pointers. I could use them for sure. I also like to hear them again and again…seems I need much reinforcement. Are you doing the full or half marathon?

Rachael Q—Rachel, :hug: Positive thoughts, energy and prayers to you as you go through the stressful time. At least you have a place to go to distress, and come here if you need someone to lean on. We area all here for you. Sounds like your DH is a keeper for making sure that you will be able to do the things you have scheduled. You need that.
That spa weekend sounds heavenly and I am sure you are ready to take on the tasks ahead.
Originally posted by Rachael Q
My goal is to cross the finish line and not drop dead, or throw up!
It looks like you will be meeting your time goal this year by the times you are showing. I am sure your “other goal” will be met too. ;)

Kimickey—Kim, Sounds like you had a great time in Naw Leens! What a place.

karebear1--Karen, I will be heading over to check out those cds for sure now. You are on baybee! Keep on with your program. You will do it!

tw1nsmom--Dawn, Sorry to hear you are taking care of a sick one. Hope it isn't too bad. Yup, I'd say that it is cross training for sure. ;) good idea to get that TM fix in before your trip. I fugure we will all be using one before our FL trip.

Susan--Ontario, Glad that your foot seems to be responding in a better way. I hope you can get your walk in this week with no difficulty.

Well - it's Monday and it was a loooong day at work. The only part of me that hurts are my "back-end" muscles. Anyone know an exercise that will strengthen them for the next time? They didn't hurt at all after the walk, but were definitely a factor in how fast I walked today.:tongue: On another note, I am so hungry today. Right after the marathon they provided us with a banana, orange, V-8 juice, and a bagel. I felt nauseous after one bite of the bagel, but the V-8 and banana went down well. I had a regular dinner last night, but today - wow I could eat everything in the house! I'm going to have to remember to pack peanut butter and crackers. That always settles my upset stomach and staves off hunger as well.

Lily - You walked 9 miles in 2.5 hours and then went to the gym? Way to go!
Susan - letting your foot heal properly is the best thing you could have done over the past two weeks.
Karen - A 16-minute mile!:Pinkbounc I'm glad that your walking tapes worked. I don't use a walkman, but my DH has suggested that if I could come up with a fast-paced Disney song to play "in my head" that I will be motivated.
Dawn - what a great plan to get candy you don't like to pass out for Halloween. My kids are away at university, so if there's any left over, I am the one that eats it. Wish I had thought of buying something I didn't like.
Happy training everyone! I get to take it easy this week as part of the post-race recovery!
:)
Nancy

I was doing a lot of "reflecting" as I do on my walks and into my head pops a cheer from our old high school days. I modified it a bit and it "marched up" as fast as I could go.

here’s a fine mantra for walking:

Thunder
Thunder
Thunderation!
We’re the WISH Group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a great sensation!

I went for an hour and managed a 15 minute pace for 3 miles then slowed the last mile dileberately trying to increase strides in all of this.

Nancy, I am a "firm" believer in my Winsor Pilates and feel that this has helped me "firm" and has made me much stronger to handle all this walking. Make sure you stretch those glutes too.

Okay, I've been a bit AOL. I haven't been training very well for the last week and just didn't feel like telling. Okay , I'm fessing up. I did run/wog 4 miles today and then went to my daughter's high school chorus concert. LONG! 2 1/2 hours but great music!. I was pretty stiff after that. Tomorrow I have a health workshop to go to but it doesn't start until 9:00 ( I'm normally at work by 7:20) so guess what I'm doing with the extra time. It will be so nice to have the am to train.

nancy - I have been using an elliptical machine at the club and I am sure that that rear part is most definately getting stronger. I can run longer and faster and don't feel the effects as much. I haven't tried pilates but from what I've read, it sounds like a great strenghthener. Good luck with the stairs- they really hurt when the rear muscle hurt. (Congratulations - You must be soo proud of yourself. )

Tiger lilly- Great Cheer! I used to be a cheerleader(30 years ago) I did do a cartwheel last year. Love the reflecting while I walk too. I t such a stress releiver and an easy way to solve problems. I'm so surprised that I can solve a problem in 45 minutes that I have worried about for a week. Keep up th ehard work.

Susan Ont.- Oooh! I remember those days of ill children and the hazy next day on a few hours of sleep. Hope it is just a little bug that bit your little one. Rest when they rest!!!

Karebear- Good job on your 16;17 min mil. Your awesome. And you have so much trainng time left. You're going to wiz right past me. Just wave and I will catch up!!

Be tough on Tuesday!! Training like your going to run in a 1/2 Marathon!!

Wow! Everybody is off to a great start this week!

WAY TO GO, TEAM CANADA! You all are so brave!!! Congratulations!

So... you all reflect while you walk? Me too... Only my reflecting is still based on attractive men. Same as it has always been... What can I say?? I'm YOUNG! I just can't help it... And it helps the time pass.

Anyway, I need to move on to bed, so here's my update...

I did my FULL WORKOUT today. I did 5 min warm up, 60 min run 9 walk 1, 5 min cool down for a grand total of five miles. I felt great! I told myself that I couldn't go out to the bar this weekend unless i got myself in line. So here I go! WHEW! (I love the bar. It's like a workout. I got whipped around the dance floor on Saturday and had a blast! Now if only I knew how to dance! I just went along with all the little twirls, and I'm sure I looked like a fool!)

Anyway, Time to go relax and sleep. Keep it up, ladies!

Ashley:wave2:

Hi all...I am joining you guys.

Our coach has us on a weird schedule this week--during the week, I have scheduled 2 2-mile runs and 1 3-mile run...but have to run them at short distance race pace---WOW!!!! I was glad for the short distance, but short and hard packs a punch.

We are up to 12 miles this weekend--that I have to sqeeze in post MNSSHP.

I am always hungry the day of any long run--may sometimes feel a little nauseas--like this weekend--but that about 3 hours or so after the run--boy do I want to eat! I usually stick to fruit first so I can reload the lost glycogen...and then eat a meal later on in the day.

Is anybody else running with a group (other than with the DIS Wishers I mean :) )?

Who all here is a newbie to this marathon excitement?

I hope to meet you guys!!! I will be one of the many running in purple :) for TNT (Team in Training).

I pray/reflect while I run as well--but mostly for help to finish what I started :hyper: .

Lisa

hi everybody! oh my gosh Nancy and Maryliz i'm soooo excited and proud of you all!!!! how awesome and inspiring your event is to me!!!

karen -- glad you like your music and thanks for the compliment :) occasionally I have a good train of thought, usually they are just chugging along with no real destination!

this is quick - i'm on my way for my usual tues afternoon volunteering at DDs elementary -- i haven't been checking in much -- things are just really really hectic at my house right now i'm still on my MFM training schedule; last sat I did 5 miles and this sat plan to do 7.5 - 8. my eating has been real sporadic that is what I need to refocus on again! as usual! not horrible but still a struggle

welcome Lisa -- are you running a full marathon? what charity are you TNT for?

keep the inspiration coming! i'm using it to stay away from the candy this month! eek! halloween!

decaff38, I dare not do a cartwheel. I think I will break. Keep on there. Glad you are finding a way to fit in your training. I know it is difficult with kids things going on all the time.

LittleMissMickey, Whoo hooo you found time to work out too. Now don't overdo at the bar. (That's the Mom in me. I just can't help myself. ;)) Good luck with your training and hope you find the time you need to keep on keepin' on.

Lisa loves Pooh, sounds like your training schedule will have you so successful. I am training by myself and have no coaches other than here. I will be an "adult onset runner" (actually, grandmother-type onset wogger). It is my first long attempt. I have done a couple 5 k runs around here. I really like that. I look forward to finding you in that crowd of TNT folks. I hear they have a large delegation.

ohMom, The schedule you are on sounds very reasonable. I know you will be successful. PD that you figure out that eating thing. I struggle with that as well. I'm still reading the book and discover that I really like what is in there. I think I am a penguin too. ;)

I just visited John Bingham's Web Site
I can so relate to almost all of his statements.
I especially relate to:
You might be a penguin if...
• you have to politely (for the third time) tell the men in the police car moving behind you that No you do not wish a ride.
• during a race, you keep turning around to see if there is still anybody behind you.
• the rest of the pack is out of sight before you've run 100 yards.
• you meet both the hare AND the tortoise running back towards you doing their cool-down after a race.
• you get passed on the uphill by a runner pushing a double baby jog stroller.
• you shoot a 24-shot roll of film during a marathon.
• you are more worried about the porta-potty lines than the start line.
• the truck picking up the cones is pressing on your behind.
• the awards ceremony is over before you cross the finish line.

Everyone, Keep on keepin' on

Hi--I am doing the full marathon for the Leukemia Society's team in training--perhaps I'll pin on a lime green mickey--though you won't get to see it until later on when the layers start coming off :hyper:

The TNT thing is lots of fun--fundraising was a bit of a challenge--moreso b/c of the worry, will you get enough money or not. My fundraising is almost done. I turn in my commitment paperwork tomorrow. We are staying at the POFQ with the team on the 8th and 9th. I was able to snatch a code and get the ASMovies. They only had preferred--but it is Fantasia and my hubby has been wanting to stay in that building for a while. We got a room for my mom as well--but since it was an AP rate--we put the girls in one room and the men-folk in the other. The rate was $69 after taxes.

I am doing a half-marathon Thanksgiving weekend--kind of a warm up to the long distance race environment--not that I will race by any means. I love those Penguin quotes--that's me--Forget 1st--I just don't want to be last.

I did my "cross-training" workout today--and since I don't cross train, that means I took the girls out in the jogging stroller and half-walked half-jogged--slow as possible without making it difficult. I still have to go and measure since we took a different route.

OMG!!! I'm a PENGUIN !!!!

Oh well............... it's better then not being there at all!

I did my 2 miles today and found out what a dopey girl I am. After I was done I went downstairs to check my new CD's. It seems as though I have been walking to the 4.5 mile CD- not the 4.0 mile CD! No wonder my calves were burning so bad!!! :eek: The good side.... at least I know that I can do the SLOW portion of the fast CD!!!

Lisa- how long have you been training for?

A general question to all.........

How OLD/YOUNG the heck are you????

I turned 45 this past summer. But I'm feeling like I'm about 30!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter