Marathon Training Thread 11/14-11/21

NancyK

DIS Veteran
Good Sunday morning!
Karen is away this weekend and asked me to start this thread today. Hope she's having a wonderful time. :)

I've been thinking about how far we have all come in the last year. Remember when walking one mile seemed like a huge effort? Now walking a mile or two is a nice little stroll.

When I first told my husband that we were going to do this 1/2 marathon he was skeptical. After all I have never done anything remotely athletic and had never exercised regularly for more than a month or two at a time. After he realized that I was very serious about this, he has helped me every step of the way. Even though he's not walking the 1/2, he's been doing my long walks with me. Since our children are away at university, finding the time to train has not been a problem. He, along with all of you, has been my inspiration. I don't usually comment on everyone's posts, but I have to tell you that I read them all. When I see how all of you are doing, I am inspired to get out there and walk.

My hats go off to all of you who have children and other commitments yet still find time to concentrate on yourself and train for this marathon. You guys are truly amazing! I don't think I would have attempted this when my kids were small. So everyone give yourselves a big pat on the back!

We're only 8 weeks away now! I'm planning on getting outside to walk every day there isn't snow on the ground! Have a fantastic week!

Nancy

Hi Nancy! Thanks for starting the marathon thread this week.
I haven't done anything yet today. I have crosstraining and need to wait until after I get my shot this evening.

Has anyone heard anything about WDW park tickets for marathoners? I found this info on the Disney website, and marathoners do qualify. Just wondering if this is the best 'deal' we will be offered. Anyone know? I am afraid of using up my legs at the parks before the marathon so we leaning towards the 2 day hopper offered.

Lisa - thanks for the ice tips. I will try that. I am doing a lot of stretching. I don't know if it is improper though. Do you know any resources for proper stretching? I am not sure what is causing the pain. I am following the Marathons For Mortals training schedule to the 't' so I don't think I am overdoing it with sudden increases. It hurts with a 40 minute walk as much as the 6 mile. :rolleyes: I am going to go to Fleet Feet on Tuesday (Monday is a day of rest) to get my shoes checked. Maybe I need an insole? Maybe I need new shoes? I will get whatever I need! (And probably more. :p ) Also - can you share how you ice down your legs? Do you just use the dixie cups for your entire leg?

I am not 'feeling the love' from the power gels and gu, so I will be sticking with the Clif bars. I am VERY glad I started testing those now. :tongue:

Everyone is doing SO great!! Here's to another great week of training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all!

Well, I didn't do my 8.7 mile walk today as I had planned. I only got as far as about 6 and just couldn't do anymore. My time wasn't that great either. I don't know if this is because I've been fighting a cold for the last week or two, or because I haven't trained hard enough to date. I'm definitely not giving up, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I've always been worried about the sweeper, but I always thought that, given enough time, I'd have no problem finishing 13 miles. Now I'm not so sure.

geetey - I looked at the webpage you linked. I don't know about the two day tickets, but the four day tickets aren't that great of a deal. I bought four day hopper plus passes for 208 through Hotwire, including tax. I'm also not sure the tickets on that page will be available to marathon participants. I've called a couple of times and they were certain that the only tickets the sports department had available for marathoners were the UPH attached to the room packages they were selling.

Geetey - Sure hope the pain in your calves and ankles go away.

tw1nsmom - You should always listen to your body - even if it means stopping short of your walking goal. Six miles is a lot of walking when you're fighting a cold. We still have 8 weeks - you'll be able to do the 1/2. Once we hit the Magic Kingdom, it will be pure adrenaline pushing us to the finish line!

I did 6.5 miles today. It wasn't my best time because DH was trying to get me to lengthen my stride a bit. I've discovered that I have muscles that weren't getting used with the shorter stride. I think I may be a bit stiff in the morning.

:wave2: Hi everyone! I did 11.8 kilometres this afternoon. That translates to 7.375 miles in 2 hours, which works out to a 16.27 mile. Getting closer! And I figure that that 7.375 miles heads me towards the parking lot at . . . :confused: .

I used the "Walking to the Classics" tapes. Did the Intermediate (4 mph) first, and then switched to the Advanced (4.5 mph) for the second half. I was tired after 40 minutes of the Advanced, and my walking slowed....then I wogged to catch up. And that was at the END of my walk, and that is a GOOD thing. (sorry, Martha :smooth: ) I had almost a mile on a loose gravel dirt road. THAT was hard walking. Used Gatorade, but I like the gels better! :tongue: The Gatorade was a lot cheaper, though.

Terry, I liked the "after 2" tickets. I didn't know that WDW had those! Luckily, I have PHP left over from previous trips, and that was one expense that I didn't have.

Dawn, some days are like that. Don't get discouraged, because I think that the high of doing this at WDW is going to have us going at WARP speed! :hyper:

Nancy, my short stride is my downfall. . . but it can't be helped. :tongue: I'll just keep wogging to catch up to you!

This was a good start to a new week....or is that a good end to an old week? Either way, we can do it! We ARE strong! We ARE invincible. We ARE. . .

Remember: Slow and steady wins the race. . . and the Donald medal! Take care Everyone! Have a GREAT WEEK!

I'm doing report cards, so I'll lurk, but probably not get to post much! ;)

Hi everybody!!! I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!!!

I missed you all- and am so proud of all the work you did while I was gone! I can't believe what I was reading! You are ALL Maaaaaaaavelous! You sould be proud!

Well- I did pretty well while I was gone - got in PLEANTY of walking all those days and lost a couple of pounds to boot! Yeah!

To whoever asked- the WISHES cruise is on a pontoon adn I will call tomorrow morning and find out what time we need to be at the dock.

Who had the sore shins/ankles???? That happens to me too. When I started doing good stretching workouts before my walk it alleviated that pain alot. It usually happens to me becuase I am quickening my speed to what the nrom is. It will get better if you strecth!

I can ahrdly wait to walk tomorrow and get back to reporting to you all- I missed doing it!

Tw1nsmom- come on! You can do this!!!

Hi everyone!
8 Weeks!
I've had the same problem with pains in feet and or legs over the time I have been working. My calves have also started to bind and I have just slowed down in my schedule and increased my strength xtraining and extra stretching to see if this will help. I also wonder if it might be a hydration/electrolite problem as well so will see about making sure I am getting the right stuff at the pre and start.

Went for a slow 2 miles today as I went with DH. (I did a trot and high stepping thing as he walked so at least I was able to eek somewhat of a cardio out of it.) It is amazing that he walked for 2 miles and only 11 weeks after his hip replacement. He rocks!

I also stopped at the Fleet Feet here and got a second pair of shoes. My other 2nd is heading to the trash. While I was in the store, I bought some other outdoor gear to get me through the cooler weather here. :teeth: I no longer have an excuse to not be out there unless I use the ice excuse. I don't think I want to be out on the ice.

I finally finished reading Marathoning for Mortals for the first time. John Bingham speaks to me. I am truly a penguin.

As time is getting closer I am reflecting on how everyone is doing so well by keeping at it even if it is not easy. Great job everyone whatever it is our pace, we are moving!

Thunder, Thunder, Thunderation
We're the WISH group delegation.
When we move with determination,
We create a great sensation!!

Alright, I'm back and I'm tired! Ihaven't exercised all week long, due to very stressful times. I didn't even make it home before 10 a single night this week. I'm moving my workouts around a bit now to shake things up, and stir up the weight loss again.

I am going to go to a class in the morning at 5:30... which is very early. This week I will go to: Step it Up, The Mixx, Fitness Pilates, Basic Training, and Athletic Boot Camp. All at 5:30 in the morning. Then I will run on Monday and Wednesday and go to Aqua with my mom on Tuesday and Thursday.

I pulled out the bikini I bought for the trip and now I'm Motivated with a capital M! It sounds like a lot, I know, but I really need to get started. I figure the classes I know that I will be moving at a good pace and will have my stretches done. Maybe it will make me a better morning person, too. I'll have to be sure to get a good breakfast in. What do you do for a quick breakfast on the run?

Anyway, I'm off... I have to type some lesson plans, make some quizzes, and write some report cards. Hopefully I will have less to do later this week!

Ashley:wave2:

Originally posted by geetey
Hi Nancy! Thanks for starting the marathon thread this week.
I haven't done anything yet today. I have crosstraining and need to wait until after I get my shot this evening.

Lisa - thanks for the ice tips. I will try that. I am doing a lot of stretching. I don't know if it is improper though. Do you know any resources for proper stretching? I am not sure what is causing the pain. I am following the Marathons For Mortals training schedule to the 't' so I don't think I am overdoing it with sudden increases. It hurts with a 40 minute walk as much as the 6 mile. :rolleyes: I am going to go to Fleet Feet on Tuesday (Monday is a day of rest) to get my shoes checked. Maybe I need an insole? Maybe I need new shoes? I will get whatever I need! (And probably more. :p ) Also - can you share how you ice down your legs? Do you just use the dixie cups for your entire leg?

I used the dixie cup (actually 2 per leg) to ice my knee which as developed into a new problem :rolleyes: and my thighs--that was my big pain area after my long run last time. I only have to do it for runs beyond 10 miles. I just run the ice up and down my thigh all over until it melts. So I would do the same for your ankle and calf. Since you are following training to the T--I suspect it is your shoes.

Ended up my shoes were inappropriate for my feet--so once we got to 6 miles, I started developing shin splits (and once developed it wouldn't matter how long the run was at that point)--I bought new ($$$) shoes that are called motion control shoes (b/c I have very flat feet) and the problem disappeared. I didn't think it was shin splits as I thought that would be the front of the leg and not the side (felt like it was the side of the calf burning like crazy). But one of our coaches is a physical therapist and that's what she said it was. It could be that you are wearing a "neutral" shoe and just require a "stablizing" shoe. Stabilizing shoes didn't work for me--I had to go one step further for the motion control--ended up the pain was caused b/c my ankles were leaning too far inward and causing the shin splint--and the increased support in my shoe prevents that from happenening. If you suspect you have flat feet or very little arches--the supports could cause more harm than good. I don't use any inserts at all as it causes problems in my feet. The supports should help what arch you have (I have none) and not cause an arch to occur. Does that make sense.

Make sure you can return the shoes if it doesn't help your problem. I was able to return the stabilizing shoes and inserts so that I could get the motion control.

Good luck and let us know!!!

good morning all :)

terry -- thanks a bunch for the ticket info! are we sure we qualify?? twinsmom?

I did my walk yesterday - back to back days for powerwalking but I wanted to get my long day on friday this week. So I didn't push myself extra yesterday and did about 3.5 miles in 50 mins

today I did 40 mins total of yoga and pilates

this week i'm going to EAT LIKE AN ATHLETE!!!!!! no more excuses and procrastination! first hurdle -- Emmaus Walk reunion in which we are all to bring a dessert to share! urgh!!!

i didn't mind the powergel - vanilla - but i LOVE icing roses and the like and this stuff was good and sweet :)

off to clean and declutter! have a great day WISH walkers -- make it count!

::yes:: I am sure we can get those tickets. I have gone all the way through the checkout process. (just stopped at the very last step) If you proceed from the page I linked, it says at the top.... Tickets Available for Jan 6 - 10. I had to enter a lot of info to get to that page and the Marathon qualifies as a convention, according to the website. I think we are going for the 2 day Park Hoppers with 1 plus feature. Other tickets won't allow us to park hop. I don't want to invest in a 4 or more day hopper since our next park passes will be APs.

Lisa, thanks for the shoe info! I will be going to Fleet Feet asap!! My problems hit me on my 6 mile walk! My pain is also on the side, so maybe they are just 'different' shin splints, on top of some ankle pain. I will definitely check to see if I can return any shoes I purchase. I need to get moving again, versus limping along with pain. ;)

Today is a day of rest for me. I did my 45 minutes of crosstraining last night, and spelled the ABCs with my ankles several times on each side. :hyper:

TLily! I love that book!! I am also DEFINITELY a penguin!!
pinguin2.gif
(this little guy belongs in my signature!)

I do not envy you walkers!!!!

I was going to play training hookey today--but my legs said--"take me out, take me out!!!" Loaded the girls up in the jogging stroller and hit the road--shall I say, it was WINDY!!! Was going to try jogging and said "to heck with this", so we walked it!!! I finished at a 16:03 pace. Can I say that going out with a jogging stroller as windy as it was, I think I might have been quicker towing a parachute :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Tomorrow it is back to my usual running!!!

My legs are happy now :)

Only 8 weeks - oh my how time flys:earseek:

Thanks for the link for the passes, I have been trying to decide which ones to buy & where to buy them:)

Got your pm Karen and I think we need to design a logo is we want one, I'll try to work something up but I don't have a graphic design program. Has anyone called about the spag dinner? if not I'll do it, let me know.

Who quoted Helen Reddy? have not thought of that song in quite some time - love it::yes::

Well I walked 3 miles yesterday early for a sunday (7:30 am), I must say some park joggers looked great where as I just rolled out of bed, dressed and went. Who am I going to meet at that time:teeth: The rest of the day was spent helping with friend's surprise b-day party for her mom, mostly work but well worth it. We had a country western theme with line dancing, yee haa!

Today I couldn't seem to get motivated so I, ate ate & ate again. what? it is like I was never satisfied & had to try everything
:crazy: well i feel terrible now & will head to bed early. Plan is to walk tomorrow am after drop ds off at school.

You are all such an inspiration - I should have checked the boards earlier today, my loss:(

PS went to see the Bacon Brothers friday nite and they were awesome if you ever get a chance, I highly recommend. Kevin is aging a bit but still a hottie:)

Today I seem to have started out on a good foot! :p Did Winsor Piates before work and had a nice workout after work.

I'm figuring we don't really need a sophisticated logo design. If we use a Disney one, will we get bagged for copyright problems?

Here's hoping to a great week for everyone.

What are the restrictions for a logo? Could we use something on http://www.zazzle.com/collections/disneyinkshop/default.asp ? They have some cute designs.

I will have to get my thinking cap on. I really like the logo the newsletters had as letterhead. It said something along the lines of Why just run when you can fly, you can fly, you can fly with a pixie dust trail throughout. We could change it to Why just walk, etc....

Perhaps if several of us work on a design, we can pick our favorite. :)

How would you get into copyright trouble???

Unless you are selling the shirts--there is lots of free to use clip art out there that you can use for personal use...if everyone is paying for their own shirt and using the same design--you shouldn't get into any trouble. Just my opinion anyway!!

Hi everyone. Yesterday was my "rest" day, and today I crosstrained by doing Curves. It's really coming up quickly ... where does the time go?

Keep up the great work everyone! I'm now keeping good thoughts and sending pixie dust that we don't get sn*w until Christmas Eve :teeth: ... and definitely no ICE 'cause that's just way too dangerous to be out walking.

Happy Training!

Mary-Liz

I ran 3.2 this morning...

and in case I haven't posted this before...I run/walk--so I'm not superwoman :hyper: :hyper: I run 9m and walk 2m.

And for a real confidence booster ladies--take a look at your accumulated mileage since you started training...

Now I'm training for the full--but since I started documenting in September...I have gone 181.24 miles.

So let's hear the numbers--if you have them!!!
(It'll be fun when you finish on January 9th to see how far your legs have carried you :earseek: )

Did 50 mins this morning.....added in a stop at 7-11 for cat food :cat: had no breakfast!

I'm trying to find a phone # on the Disney site to ask some questions about the 2 and 3 day hoppers we are being offered. THey say tickets are for 1/6-10 only, but are good for 10 days? I don't really want to use my guests ticket till 1/11. Maybe I'll just have to buy the 3 day and we pop into MK for an hour or two (sister's plane gets in about 2), but I'd rather not have to do that.

Well, off to the shower and another exciting day in broadcasting. Have a great day everyone

Hi Jackie!
Maybe I can clarify one of your ticket questions. These special 2 or 3 day hoppers are different from other hopper tickets in that they expire 10 days after the 1st day of use. All convention tickets are like that.
With a regular hopper pass, your days would never expire if they went unused.
Here is a link to the starting page ---> Disney Meetings Tickets Enter in your date information (it appears you will be fine since you will be in WDW for the marathon) as requested, and enter MARATHON for the Group Name. That will take you to the ticket options page (the link I posted previously).
I hope this helps! :wave2:

I need to walk 40 minutes today (plus warmup & cooldown) so I will report back later! ::yes::

edited to fix link! Sorry Walkers! I had an "extra" http:// in there. :blush:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter