many resort questions

mar3990

<font color=FF99FF>Loves Disney World and softball
My 18 year old DD and her friend are planning a trip themselves to WDW sometime this summer. Every time she calls reservations she comes away frustrated with the bad service she receives. I am trying to let her plan it herself but I know she has a few questions that maybe someone can answer. Can you get the Magic express service with a regular reservation (no package) and is it complimentary? Is it reliable or are they losing everyone's luggage? Does anyone know the best and cheapest way to get to Universal from WDW and also to an outlet mall? I was wondering if it would be cheapest to go to downtown disney and get a cab to the oultet by Bahama Breeze? If you want to get a AAA discount do you go thru central reservations or call the AAA office? Thanks for any help!

go rent DVC points.

to get to Universal Studio with a car will be expensive.She can rent cars in Kissimmee. They allow 18 years old to rent cars there. to use the Mears shuttle or a taxis it will probably cost $15 to $20 each way.

the magical express is free.

I know it is included with DVC - either member or guest stays and even exchanges. So I would think any hotel room on WDW property would apply.

I would go with US/IOA on another trip. If she is determined to do US/IOA now - then I would definitely look in to US's hotels. with FOLE she will be in long lines there.

If you go through central reservatiosn using your AAA membership, you get a room-only discount. If you use the AAA travel agent, you can book the discounted room and tickets as a package and add dining plan if you want. Our AAA travel agent has been VERY helpful.

Hope your daughter has a great time!

Anyone staying at a hotel can do ME from what I understand - it is free.

I would rent a car if they want to do outlet mall and US/IOA. A cab or Mears shuttle will quickly become more expensive than a rental car, which can be really cheap. Check out some rates, look for codes, etc. We did an SUV for 5 days for $100. If they want to do US/IOA and are going in the summer, I highly recommend them booking a room over there for one night if that's all they can afford to get FOTL. Lines there, esp in summer, are really long and staying there will mean no lines. You can FOTL the entire day you check in and entire day you check out. Keep in mind parking at US/IOA is $9 for hotel guests and just park guests, so either way, if they rent a car, they'll need to add that into the cost before deciding the best thing.

Going through a AAA agent will get them a package discount, not just room like through CRO.

Sorry she keeps getting bad service =( Good luck!

mar3990 said:
My 18 year old DD and her friend are planning a trip themselves to WDW sometime this summer. Every time she calls reservations she comes away frustrated with the bad service she receives. I am trying to let her plan it herself but I know she has a few questions that maybe someone can answer. Can you get the Magic express service with a regular reservation (no package) and is it complimentary? Is it reliable or are they losing everyone's luggage? Does anyone know the best and cheapest way to get to Universal from WDW and also to an outlet mall? I was wondering if it would be cheapest to go to downtown disney and get a cab to the oultet by Bahama Breeze? If you want to get a AAA discount do you go thru central reservations or call the AAA office? Thanks for any help!

Has she considered renting a car by chance? My husband and I actually went to WDW when we were 18 and were able to rent a car from a company (can't remember the name offhand but will look it up the next time I visit my parents (on the other side of the state) if you need it.). I think for a week it was like $500.

I think they will mostly stay in the world and use disney transp. They don't want the expense and responsibility of a rental car. It may cost them a lititle to get the two places they want to go outside but I don't think it will be as much as a car. I didn't even think they were old enough so its good to know for future reference. Thanks. They will get the magical express service coming and going so thats not a worry and they might consider the bus one way to Universal and then taxi back. I think the bus will prove too tedious and they should pay for a taxi but I haven't been able to figure out how much that will cost. Does anyone know? ALso ,can you bus to a DTD hotel and pay for a shuttle from there? Like from the Holiday Inn or Wyndham?

Just to add my thoughts...many companies now allow you to rent cars when you turn 18, but the catch is that there are fees attached because you are still considered "under age." My friend and I went to Disney (I'm 24 - she's 23) and we didn't a car because if you are 25 and under there is a $15-25 surcharge added each day due to your age. We were considering another part of Florida for spring break, but decided Disney was best since we wouldn't need to work about transporation while on our trip.

Magical Express is free to anyone who is staying at one of the WDW resorts.

In order to obtain a AAA room only discount, one of the persons on the reservation would have to have the membership in their name and have their card to present at check in (sometimes the front desk doesn't check for the card, but if they ask and there isn't a card, the room nigtly rate will be converted to the current rack rate for their travel dates.

I haven't rented a car in ages so I don't feel comfortable in answering that portion, but I remember the additional charges if the person renting the car is under 25.

If they are serious about Universal/IOU I would suggest either a taxi, or one of the shuttle services (Mears Fl Tours) come to mind

I booked through AAA and my service was amazing and they really cared about how the trip was. My person wanted to hear from me when I got back to find out how the trip was and so I was able to e-mail her and she said that she enjoyed getting our honeymoon planned for us.

There is some wonderful (and important) information on taxis in and around WDW on the mousavers site (I'm not allowed to post url info yet). From the mousesavers home page, go to "Transportation for your Disney Vacation" (link on the left) > then under the "Getting Around" heading, choose the "Taxi" link.

Major highlights include warnings about gypsy, unmetered taxis and the direct number for reputable taxi service.

I hope your doughter and her friend have a wonderful time!!!! :goodvibes

The cheapest way to get to the Beltz factory outlet is to go to the TTC (M.K.), catch the #50 Lynx bus (public transit) , and transfer to a #8. It costs about $1.25 p/p, and takes about an hour. Also, I believe you can catch a #50 and transfer to a #40 or #21 to get to Universal, but I personally have never done that, so I can't comment on it. According to the schedules I have, it could take close to 2 hours. Perhaps someone knows a shorter route. I think you may have to go to the downtown bus station and transfer. If you don't get an answer here, try taking the bus to Beltz and asking the bus driver. I never rent a car. We always take the Lynx bus whenever we go off property, for groceries, shopping, etc. It is a very good service. Try looking up www.golynx.com for more advice. Also, I would try posting on the transportation board.

if she has limited time - definitely go rent a car.

both Universal and Beltz are far away from WDW. You can rent a car in Orlando for under $20 a day. the taxis would probably be $20 each way not including the tip - so say $50 to visit either Universal or Beltz.

the premium outlet malls are much closer - I would say $7 each way for that trip.

these are estimates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter