Mamma Mia

If ANYone comes out of that theater and sings ABBA songs, in front of me, I will ask them to kindly crawl BACK IN THEIR HOLE. Or I'll offer them the cistern...

Arent musicals supposed to be "over acted"? Rarely, if ever, am I walking down the street and break in synchronized dance with the surrounding strangers. (ok....it's happened...but thats a different story)

In West Side Story (the movie), Maria tells Tony to speak softly as her parents are sleeping. Cut to Tony singing "Tonight" at the top of his lungs.

In "Summer Stock", Judy Garland and Gene Kelly (both of whom are BRILLIANT in my humble opinion) dance with farm animals and equipment during the "Howdy Neighbor" number.

Any show Patti Lupone is in (and again...she's BRILLIANT( would have to be considered overacted. She chews scenery like no one else, but thats what people love.

In the most award winning musical ever....The Producers....there is a chorus line of walker using older women all looking to get "closer" to Nathan Lane. Talk about suspending disbelief.

I understand what you are saying, but I guess I went into the theater expecting anything scored entirely with ABBA music to be fun and a bit over the top.

In my opinion, it goes with the "musical theater" territory and I wouldnt have it any other way.

that post is so gay, Liberace sat up and said, "Really?"

Rex, Mindy and Kevin (I never thought I would put you three in a group) are all crazy just like me!

I LOVE musicals. I Love Love Love them. I am a man, and I love musicals. I know it's crazy, but I can't hide my true emotions. With that said, I totally agree with Kevin. Musicals are supposed to be over-the-top. That's why I love Disney. I mean, you could walk down the street in a Disney park and burst into song and dance and it would be considered normal. Right? (My wife would probably disagree, though.....) :lmao:

I actually sang to Mary Poppins at 1900 Park Fare once, and she loved it!

Now, I have started watching Bollywood movies for the musical quality that they have, and I miss that in Hollywood today. Disney is the exception, of course. And I hate to say it, but I really do like the High School Musical movies. I also love Enchanted. That movie was ahead of its time.

Now back to Mama Mia!

I want to see it both at the movies and on a broadway-tour. I love Abba music, I have swedish background in my family, so I think it's a genetic trait or something. I am excited to see it after reading all of your reviews here! :thumbsup2

Last Friday I drove up to surprise my mom up in Palm Beach Gardens. Luckily she was all set to go out, so we went to see Mamma Mia.

People will either LOVE this movie or absolutely HATE it, depending on how you feel about the music of ABBA. If you love the music, you will realize that the whole show (now a movie) is just an excuse for loads of people to dance and sing to ABBA songs. You will even put up with Pierce Bronson's performance in this movie.

I was lucky enough to actually see ABBA in concert in Boston in January 1976. Obviously I loved the movie.

Don't think the gf wanted to see it. She saw the play out in Vegas a few years back, and I think that was enough for her (and why we never got to see it on any of our trips out there).

Actually for a hetero male, there are some chick flicks I actually like. Being from the city, I loved the tv show Sex and the City, and wanted to see the movie. Too bad my girlfriend didn't. I dragged her to see You've Got Mail, mostly because I used to work for Barnes and Noble, the original store on Fifth and Eighteenth. She hated it and resents me for making her see it to this day.

To sum up: if you can't get those ABBA songs out of your head, go see this movie.

EJKorvette mka Evan

I was lucky enough to actually see ABBA in concert in Boston in January 1976. Obviously I loved the movie. . .
To sum up: if you can't get those ABBA songs out of your head, go see this movie.

EJKorvette mka Evan

:love: When DH and I were preparing for our wedding over thirteen years ago, we watched EVERY movie that pertained to weddings. Including, Muriel's Wedding. That movie got me hooked on ABBA music. Everytime we hear "Dancing Queen", DH says "There's your song". ;)

- Jennifer

If ANYone comes out of that theater and sings ABBA songs, in front of me, I will ask them to kindly crawl BACK IN THEIR HOLE. Or I'll offer them the cistern...

Mamma Mia there she goes again. My my..... :goodvibes

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't till it comes out on DVD. We have seen the play and really enjoyed that. From what I've seen of the trailers, the movie isn't going to really compare to the play.

I apologize if you were offended by what I said. It certainly wasn't my intent

I thought I was offering my opinion on the subject, which differs from yours.

I certainly wasn't trying state that "I'm right and you're wrong", but rather using examples to back up my opinion, much like what you did by mentioning that you dont scream and jump up and down when you see your friends.

I feel badly that you feel that you need to "crawl back into your hole" or that "you should have known better".

I just thought we were having a discussion.

Again, I apologize.

I was certainly not offended ;) I just meant that sometimes I stick my opinion in when I know it is better to keep my mouth closed! ;) No harm, no foul! I was horrified that maybe I had offended YOU! I'm as big a musical lover as the next person. I'd hate to think I upset a kindred spirit! :grouphug:

I didn't mean I was singing OUT LOUD... :rotfl: I LIVE with music in my head. Is there anybody else out there that does that...? Hears someone say something and can think of a line in a song that goes with it? Curse my brain! :dance3:

I am looking forward to seeing this movie. My husband and I are going to hit the drive-in tomorrow night and see this and Wall-E. I'm sure my daughter (14) will want to join us, but I'm thinking my 17 year old son will be staying home! :lmao: Silly boy! He rolled his eyes at me when I said Wall-E before, never mind adding in Mamma Mia! He'll want to go to the second screen and see Dark Knight! :lmao:

I saw the play in Vegas two years ago. My child hood friends and I went to "celebrate" :scared: turning 40 and we chose this play! Loved it!! :banana:

Fran

I haven't been following this thread since unfortunately I still haven't had time to see Mama Mia, but I popped in just to see more DIS'er reviews and I have to say I'm really surprised at Mindy for giving away her "achilles heel." I'm having many visions of people singing Abba to her now on the cruise, requesting Abba at the disco and best of all, Rex following Mindy around in his sparkle camo bikini with a boombox playing the best of Abba. (not trying to give anyone any ideas of course.) ;)

I haven't been following this thread since unfortunately I still haven't had time to see Mama Mia, but I popped in just to see more DIS'er reviews and I have to say I'm really surprised at Mindy for giving away her "achilles heel." I'm having many visions of people singing Abba to her now on the cruise, requesting Abba at the disco and best of all, Rex following Mindy around in his sparkle camo bikini with a boombox playing the best of Abba. (not trying to give anyone any ideas of course.) ;)

Mindy is going to put everyone in he cistern... out of which Abba will be blairing... But if Will is in there the cost of admission will probably go up.

Mindy here's a question.. what would you do if Will is the number one fan of ABBA?:rotfl:
THAT could never happen, I'm sure.

But, in case it was true, I guess I'd have to let him go. That would be a TERRIBLE thing to subject my DD to her entire life.

Of course, the only way he could prove his love of ABBA to me would be to stand up on the stage on Karaoke night, and sing a medley of ABBA's hits. In Rex's bikini top. AND give up NASCAR. Completely incompatible, as anyone could tell you...so yes, I'm afraid NASCAR would have to go. Then, and only then, would I take away the privilege of being my sweet son-in-law.

I'd have to put up the cistern for auction, of course. Darn, and I just installed a 52" plasma-screen TV with surround-sound, with its own remote button tuned to NASCAR...ah, well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter