make your own baking mixes...save time and money

smidgen21

Wanna be Tink
today I made pancakes for breakfast. while i had everything out I made 5 more batches of the dry ingredients and put each mix in a quart sized ziploc bag.

i've done the same with my waffle recipe, bread machine recipe and my biscuit recipe. it's so much easier than dragging out the flour, baking soda, etc and all the measuring cups/spoons.

i know most of my recipes by heart but you could write the directions on the bag with a sharpie (add 2 cups milk, 2 eggs and 1/4 cup oil)

saves time and money (cheaper than bisquick) and it tastes soooo much better IMHO. :yay:

Great idea. I've thought about doing this. Lately, I've been trying to stay away from the mixes I used to use (because of all the icky ingredients) - but I miss the convenience. Making up the dry ingredients ahead of time would be a real time saver. :goodvibes

Thanks for the reminder. I'm thinking of making banana/oatmeal bread tomorrow. I make it all the time, so I think I'll "bag" a few.

that is a great idea, i try to always do it from scratch too, this would be so convenient to have it made ahead of time:thumbsup2
I am going to do this!

That is a great idea!! I received a breadmaker for Christmas - but have been using it since Thanksgiving. LOL I have used it at least 3 times a week. Premeasuring certain recipes would be great.

On a side note - using the bread machine I have knocked off about $10/week off the grocery bill. Plus there is no preservatives in the bread. I am loving it. Should pay off the cost of the machine in about 20 weeks of use.

That is a great idea!! I received a breadmaker for Christmas - but have been using it since Thanksgiving. LOL I have used it at least 3 times a week. Premeasuring certain recipes would be great.

On a side note - using the bread machine I have knocked off about $10/week off the grocery bill. Plus there is no preservatives in the bread. I am loving it. Should pay off the cost of the machine in about 20 weeks of use.

Do you have any favorite website for bread recipes? I am breaking out the machine from the basement and am going to start making bread again. But I am a bit rusty. - I would love to be able to make just a basic white/wheat bread for the kids.

So what are your recipes for pancakes, waffles, and biscuits? I don't have a good one.

First off, for recipes, I'd try a basic cookbook, like Betty Crocker, BH&G, etc. I also have a book called "Cheaper and Better" that has recipes for homemade "Bisquick", brownie mix, etc. I don't know if it's still in print, though.

I also want to offer one caveat: such mixes can have a shelf life. For example, baking powder loses its ability to make things rise after a while. So, only make mixes that you'll use in the next couple months.

Taht said, I still think it's a great idea--you can modify the ingrdients to your taste, no preservatives, and cheaper.

I would like you recipes as well please. I think this is a GREAT idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter