Make our Villa decision for us!

mmackeymouse

DIS Veteran
We are a group of 5 adults looking to stay at a 2 BR Villa following a DCL cruise- my sister and her husband, my parents, and myself.

We love love love the Boardwalk area. We've stayed at Beach Club twice and BWV once. We love the shops and restaurants in the area. And the proximity to Epcot and the Studios s top notch.

Our second choice is staying near DTD. We usually head to DTD for food and shopping our fair share of times. We like Port Orleans, but are thinking of giving OKW a shot, because of its boat service to DTD. We'd also like to maybe give a new place a shot, just for the fun of it. The room itself is bigger and looks really nice, two beds in the 2nd bedroom, full washer and dryer....it looks nice.

Cons would be that it is not in our #1 ideal area (although still a good area). The resort itself is huge. I would worry about getting a room in one of the very remote areas and have to trek all over Timbuktu to get to the pool, food, or boat.

The pros for BWV is that it is in an area we know we'll love. Everything is relatively compact. The biggest pro of all is that I just cannot imagine doing this magnificent Disney experience, and not stay in the Boardwalk area.

Cons are that this is an opportunity to try a new place we'd miss out on, the room is a bit smaller, not quite as nice, but it does have two entrances which is kind of cool. The pool is just meh, and my sister is afraid of clowns, haha. It would require me to stay on a couch, which isn't a huge deal, I can take one for the team with the best of them.

So, help a family out. What would you do in our position?

While I have never stayed at any of the villas, I know what you mean about feeling comfortable in the boardwalk area (and i hate clowns as well) Thats why we stay at the Yacht and Beach Clubs. As you said you have stayed at BC so you know the pool is amazing and you are in that same area. I too have wanted to try OKW but to scared to venture out of my comfort zone. I feel like YC, BC, and BWI are in the same zone and I have found them amazing!! I say go with what you know! I would hate to get to OKW and be disappointed and wish the whole time you were elsewhere! I still want to try OKW but will save it for a time when I need to stay a night or two and try it out then!!

Dh and I are DVC members at Boardwalk. We have stayed there many times and have always been very satisfied.We have decided to try different resorts the last couple of times we have been at Disney. We have stayed 2 times at SSR and loved the resort. Sooo close to DTD. Pools are really nice.
This trip will be our first time at OKW. Arriving on the 25th of Feb. When r you going? I could let you know how it is! We find it fun to try different resorts. Whatever you decide I am sure you will have a Great time.:)

I LOVE OKW! The two bedroom is huge, the grounds are beautiful and it's a peaceful place after a hectic day. I don't stay anywhere else, and I've stayed in the majority of the Disney resorts. There are pools all over the resort, so there's always one that's close to the villa. I've stayed in the Hospitality House area and the last trip was Turtle Pond...love them both.

Our last trip we actually moved from BWV to OKW after one night(really bad pull out couch in the one bedroom).

Boardwalk is our home resort; we've stayed there multiple times over the years. The one story grand villa is the best. We've also stayed at BCV, OKW, and BLT. OKW is much more laid back. I dislike the newer bedding they put in. It's too hard for me. Olivia's is wonderful. The food options are definitely limited there, but DTD is close. BCV are also very nice, and Stormalong Bay is great. It is hard watching the younger grandkids there.

I think if you want to stay at a DTD villa - I would go with SSR. It is a really great resort. There are many great pools (2 with slides), good food, boat to DTD, calm theme, ect ...

SSR is more exciting then OKW and its a lot newer then a lot of the villas. I think it came out in 2006?

SSR and OKW are about the same price and while OKW is great too I think SSR is a better resort for many reasons.

Good Luck choosing! ;)

-FantasiaMagic pixiedust:

Hmmm . . .has anyone in the group expressed an interest in a particular resort? How long are you staying after the cruise? Where do you think you will be spending the most time as far as the parks and DTD are concerned?

BWV and OKW/SSR have totally different feels to them. BWV is more in the center of things. OKW and SSR are much more quiet and laid back. So it really depends on which type of vacation you are looking for.

But there are also other good villa choices, like BCV, BLT, AKV, VWL, that offer different locations and themes.

If I were going with a larger group and planning on a two bedroom, I'd be trying to get a treehouse at SSR. I'm really wanting to try one of those, but can't justify the expense on a solo trip. But that's me - me who always has a car so it's not a problem if it's a little off the beaten track.

I would really think about what you want out of the trip, and where you will spend your time, and then book the resort in a location that allows you to do that with a minimum of hassle.

I have stayed at both BWV and OKW, and BCV as well. I love the Epcot area resorts, it is a huge pull for me. Epcot is our favorite park and we often eat dinner there several nights of our trip. So I would also have trouble staying at OKW now.
I stayed in a 2 BR at OKW before we bought DVC, and I loved it. The villa's are huge. It has a nice peaceful feeling and we liked the decor. Having 2 queen's in the second br would be a plus for your group.
I guess my advice woudl be the same as PP. Decide which area means the most to you, and then decide on the villa.
Good Luck

Hmmm . . .has anyone in the group expressed an interest in a particular resort? How long are you staying after the cruise? Where do you think you will be spending the most time as far as the parks and DTD are concerned?

We will be there 4 nights after the cruise, Thurs-Mon.

I would say either way we would probably dedicate a full day to DTD. If we stayed by there, we would probably make a point of going more.

I would say probably 2 or 3 days will be park days, Epcot and the Studios are almost certain. MK is a maybe.

Yeah, we batted around a bunch of the resorts. I was up for AKV, but due to the remoteness of it, it was ruled out. We'd love to try BLT sometime, but it was also nixed. We talked over SSR because of its proximity to DTD, but due to the enormity of the resort itself, it was a no this time. So anyway, yeah, it all came down to BWV and OKW

If you stay at the BWV you would be able to walk to two parks. The Boardwalk area is really nice with the restaurants right there and nighttime entertainment. OKW has the largest villas, and looks lovely, but it would be a bus ride to all the parks. It sounds like you would really like to stay at the BWV. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter