Make a Wish (and other organizations!) - Wish Trippers...UNITE!! Volume 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! We are going to GTKW and Disney from January 19 to the 26th. We are so excited! We are traveling from Canada with 5 children and a service dog. I feel so overwhelmed right now. We have not had a send off party and Make a Wish said they won't be doing one because their office has the flu spreading through it. They said they will send a package with the itinerary and other stuff. I think I am nervous becuase I have no idea how much spending money they will give us. My daughter has celiac disease and her food is over 50% more expensive than normal food. Can anyone tell me how much spending money I will need and if MaW takes this stuff into consideration? I am trying to come up with some extra money but it has been hard at this time of year.

Hello! We are going to GTKW and Disney from January 19 to the 26th. We are so excited! We are traveling from Canada with 5 children and a service dog. I feel so overwhelmed right now. We have not had a send off party and Make a Wish said they won't be doing one because their office has the flu spreading through it. They said they will send a package with the itinerary and other stuff. I think I am nervous becuase I have no idea how much spending money they will give us. My daughter has celiac disease and her food is over 50% more expensive than normal food. Can anyone tell me how much spending money I will need and if MaW takes this stuff into consideration? I am trying to come up with some extra money but it has been hard at this time of year.

When we got our expense check, they had it broken down into about how much per meal was alloted. Plus they gave money for snacks, $30 a piece for souvenirs, airport parking, etc. They really tried to cover all expenses- I'm sure they know there are some people who don't have any extra money. I can't remember exactly how much they gave us per meal. They don't give you money for breakfast and dinner since they expect you to eat at GKTW. I'm not sure what all the diet considerations are for celiac disease- I bet you could call GKTW to see if they will lbe able to accomodate you at meals. Hopefully they will take her diet into consideration. Could you call MAW and ask them how much your expense check will be- tell them that you are trying to figure out how much of your own money you will need to take since her diet is so expensive. We were told how much to expect our check to be way before our trip.

We didn't get a send off party either- evidently our chapter doesn't do that.

Carol

When we got our expense check, they had it broken down into about how much per meal was alloted. Plus they gave money for snacks, $30 a piece for souvenirs, airport parking, etc. They really tried to cover all expenses- I'm sure they know there are some people who don't have any extra money. I can't remember exactly how much they gave us per meal. They don't give you money for breakfast and dinner since they expect you to eat at GKTW. I'm not sure what all the diet considerations are for celiac disease- I bet you could call GKTW to see if they will lbe able to accomodate you at meals. Hopefully they will take her diet into consideration. Could you call MAW and ask them how much your expense check will be- tell them that you are trying to figure out how much of your own money you will need to take since her diet is so expensive. We were told how much to expect our check to be way before our trip.

We didn't get a send off party either- evidently our chapter doesn't do that.

Carol

Thank you Carol for your information. I really appreciate your response!

Questions to those of you that had family come and stay with you at GKTW. My sister is coming ( she is paying her way) and my step son is coming also ( we are paying his way) but they both get to stay with us at our Villa at GKTW.

I talk to our wish person today and she said they would have to purchase a"bunny Book" and that is how they would pay for their meals at GKTW. When I looked at the GKTW website, the Bunny Book sounds like something the famiy get's when they get their.

I am just really confused. She told the meals are buffet style and the range from $3-$5 a meal...anyone know anything about this?

Yeah...the Bunny Book is what you get when you check in...that has all the info in it.

I think it is a coupon book...for purchasing meals. But not sure if they are already included...

The phone number to GKTW is 800-995-KIDS. They can probably tell you for sure and check your particular file and answer any questions you have about that! But let us know so we will know for future families!

Congrats on your wish trip to DISNEY!! Woo Hoo!!

Oh no! They can keep their flu...for sure!!

Each state is different on spending money. Here in Mississippi we got PLENTY...but ours was even different because we were not staying at GKTW and they assumed we had to get all meals in the parks.

you can see all of the menus at allears.net...that might help?? It has prices on there. I actually went on each one and thought through what we might eat and did a budget that way. I did the budget before I got our check and then tweaked it after we got the check.

I would definitely call your MAW and ask them...maybe they can give you some extra for that??

Celiac Disease will probably be absolutely no problem at Disney or at GKTW. Call GKTW and touch basis with them. I do remember one trip report where the child had allergies and they had no trouble getting suitable food including getting special ice cream made (the child not only had a milk allergy but several other allergies as well). With Disney, go to the special needs board hear and there is a lot of information there. If you know where you are going to eat on a given day (make a reservation), call a week or so early and speak with the chef and they will do their best to accomodate. Again, celiac has become common enough that it shouldn't be a problem. There is also a dietician or coordinator or something you can call beforehand at Disney who can give you a heads up as to which foods are safe and which foods are not. I hear she's wonderful.

Questions to those of you that had family come and stay with you at GKTW. My sister is coming ( she is paying her way) and my step son is coming also ( we are paying his way) but they both get to stay with us at our Villa at GKTW.

I talk to our wish person today and she said they would have to purchase a"bunny Book" and that is how they would pay for their meals at GKTW. When I looked at the GKTW website, the Bunny Book sounds like something the famiy get's when they get their.

I am just really confused. She told the meals are buffet style and the range from $3-$5 a meal...anyone know anything about this?
Our family stayed at GKTW last March for my daughter's wish trip.My neice also went at her expense & stayed with us at GKTW.She didn't have to pay for any of her meals or anything GKTW had to offer (endless icecream!) .The Bunny Book you will receive is loaded with information about GKTW,directions to & from the parks ,medical facility info,but there are no coupons for meals in it.One tip for you ,check your GAC cards at orientation.The GAC cards we received did not include my niece in the total # in party.I informed the staff of this & they reissued new cards .to include her .

I had called GKTW and asked the same question about my niece who is paying her own way. They told me over the phone that she would have to be on the MAW paperwork to stay with us and that she would have to pay a few dollars a meal. The lady was not very friendly or talkative:headache: so there may be some more to it than that. I was not inclined to make too much conversation with her:snooty: . Hope that helps.

Hi,
We are not having a send off party so dont feel left out :hug:

You start your vacation the same time as Amy (mom2lilnick) and 2 days before ours, we go on the 21st.
So we are all going to be at GKTW Village around the same time, maybe will will see each other :)

I hope you get your expenses sorted out, if I were you I would phone my MAW rep and tell them that the special food is going to cost more than regular food, they would know to allow the extra cost in your allowance that way.

Mandy

I had called GKTW and asked the same question about my niece who is paying her own way. They told me over the phone that she would have to be on the MAW paperwork to stay with us and that she would have to pay a few dollars a meal. The lady was not very friendly or talkative:headache: so there may be some more to it than that. I was not inclined to make too much conversation with her:snooty: . Hope that helps.

Goodness!! They weren't nice?!??!?! What in the world? :confused3

I would see if MAW can add them to the paperwork so that they can stay...surely they will do that? I would do that no matter what they say at GKTW, since there is a chance the person at the front desk there will expect that.

But you can also ask for the "Manager on Duty" at GKTW and talk to them. They have a MOD there 24/7. They would probably not be happy that someone was not just super nice on the phone!
And they can help make sure you get the right answer to your question.

One thing about GKTW...they have a LOT of volunteers...and some of the volunteers that we met had only been there one day! :goodvibes So maybe they had someone new answering the phone? :confused3

I just can't believe that! I am stunned, really.

Just starting to get into PANIC mode after figuring out we only have 32 days left to go..... I like to plan and have all my stuff in order or I get panicky:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: .......

Which brings me to question...

#1) Is there a good packing list to print out on this site or anywhere to help me prepare???

#2) I thought I remembered a list of movies to see that are directly related to the park (exa-- POTC for the POTC ride and Snow White for the Snow White Ride). Does anyone know where something like that is??

#3) About how long ahead of time do they let you know your travel itinerary?? (only because we really need to purchase my nieces ticket--- the closer to that date the more expensive it will be:eek: ).

#4) The same kind of movie list for Universal and Sea World if there is one??

#5) I guess they tell you in your itinerary if someone is taking you to the airport or if you are driving???

Thanks ahead of time... I know I will come up with some more and I really should probably call them and find out myself but I don't want to bug the poor lady at MAW!!!:rolleyes1

Just starting to get into PANIC mode after figuring out we only have 32 days left to go..... I like to plan and have all my stuff in order or I get panicky:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: .......

Which brings me to question...

#1) Is there a good packing list to print out on this site or anywhere to help me prepare???

#2) I thought I remembered a list of movies to see that are directly related to the park (exa-- POTC for the POTC ride and Snow White for the Snow White Ride). Does anyone know where something like that is??

#3) About how long ahead of time do they let you know your travel itinerary?? (only because we really need to purchase my nieces ticket--- the closer to that date the more expensive it will be:eek: ).

#4) The same kind of movie list for Universal and Sea World if there is one??

#5) I guess they tell you in your itinerary if someone is taking you to the airport or if you are driving???

Thanks ahead of time... I know I will come up with some more and I really should probably call them and find out myself but I don't want to bug the poor lady at MAW!!!:rolleyes1

I am going from my experience to date, we are due to leave in just under 2 weeks.

1. If there is a packing list I havent found it, if you find one please let me know :)

2. & 4. We downloaded our movies from YouTube.

3. We do not get our itinerary until Sunday which will be about 9 days before we go. I am sure that if you ask they would let you know your flight times beforehand though. Amy (mom2lilnick) has had her itinerary for ages and ages and she only goes 2 day before we do so it obviously depends on whether you ask them things and on the Wish Chapter.

5. We knew right from the very beginning that we would get driven to the airport. That information was related when they came to hear Rebecca's Wish.

The things is, a lot of the MAW chapters do thing differently from each other. Some give send off parties others dont. Some only give rides to the Airport if the mileage is low, others will pay for the Airport parking.

We know nothing about our trip other than the Airline (only got to know that because we had to arrange oxygen for plane use with MAW),flight dates (not times) and that we will be driven to the airport.

Hope this helps
Mandy

Our family stayed at GKTW last March for my daughter's wish trip.My neice also went at her expense & stayed with us at GKTW.She didn't have to pay for any of her meals or anything GKTW had to offer (endless icecream!) .The Bunny Book you will receive is loaded with information about GKTW,directions to & from the parks ,medical facility info,but there are no coupons for meals in it.One tip for you ,check your GAC cards at orientation.The GAC cards we received did not include my niece in the total # in party.I informed the staff of this & they reissued new cards .to include her .

Gosh I really hope this is the case, cause it would be a nice treat for my sister as she is paying big bucks to go as my second or third set of hands with Jake, it would be nice if she did not have to pay for the food their. Also would be nice if my step son is included too, cause WOW, I am shocked at just how much it costs for ONE person to fly to Disney, and get the passes would cost...and that does not even include a place to stay.

Did anyone even know she paid her own way? Thanks for the tip on the GAC card, and also will my sister and my stepson get a GKTW button to wear so they can come with us in the line, or do you really just need the GAC card?

Both my sister and step son are paying their way, but my sister has to sign paperwork and my step son mom has to sign paperwork too, so MAW is aware they are going and told us they were able to stay with us at GKTW, but everything, plane tickets, food, and park passes were at their own expense. I would let MAW know your niece is coming but is paying her own way, it is ok if she stays with you. I am ALMOST positive they will not have a problem. We were ok'd TWO people to stay with us that are paying their own way.

Please let me know when you get back how the food at GKTW went with your neice, we are not going until the end of March, but it would help me plan for my step son and my sister as well. Thank you and ENJOY!!!

This might be a first...but it is sorta on topic...I am commenting on a TV show! :happytv:

Is anyone watching (or watched) Grey's Anatomy tonight (Thurs 1/8)...There is a little boy that has something wrong that has required 12 bowel resections and they are saying he won't qualify for a Wish! (I know...it is just a TV show)...

They keep saying that you "have to be dying"... It is really irritating me. MAW has changed so much in the past years...and the general public has not really caught up yet. And shows with story lines like that are not helping any!

Do you know what I am saying?

I know...that was another random thought from Maroo!

Not watching, but totally get what you are saying. It is upsetting when things are not portrayed correctly.

This might be a first...but it is sorta on topic...I am commenting on a TV show! :happytv:

Is anyone watching (or watched) Grey's Anatomy tonight (Thurs 1/8)...There is a little boy that has something wrong that has required 12 bowel resections and they are saying he won't qualify for a Wish! (I know...it is just a TV show)...

They keep saying that you "have to be dying"... It is really irritating me. MAW has changed so much in the past years...and the general public has not really caught up yet. And shows with story lines like that are not helping any!

It always amazes my when something like that is portrayed incorrectly, not just in this instance but in any FACTUAL story. I mean, dont they do their research?? Or is it that they do research but fabrication fits into a storyline better than fact, me thinks the latter.

Mandy

Oh, things like that really bug me also! I agree that the majority of the public thinks MAW=dying. When we first started planning Nathan's trip, we didn't tell my MIL. She reacts strangely to things ( she's a different sort of person-like she was furious with us when we first decided to take Nathan for a second opinion to a cardiologist who is one of the best in the world for his heart disease. Who knows why she was upset about it). Anyway, we thought it would be easier to deal with once everything was ironed out about it. We didn't count on Nathan telling her about it when he was spending an afternoon with her. She called me hysterical- she was sure that Nathan was dying and we were keeping it from her. She heard MAW and assumed terminal.

I didn't want to comment before but since it has happened to you...
When we visited GKTW during our vacation on Dec. 22nd, both dh and I were disappointed with our reception at the front desk. They seemed irritated we were there and we got one "free lunch meal" ticket and "one free ice cream" ticket per person. Most of the rest of the volunteers were very friendly but we just didn't get the same "warm fuzzies" we got a year ago. Dh did bump into one of the higher up execs (I don't remember which one) and she told him that they were hosting something like 57 families outside the facility because they were that full. This was the most number of families they'd ever had. Funny thing was that the place was empty. Yes, it was the middle of the day but on the one day we were there mid-day during our wish trip, there were several other families out and about just enjoying. Very strange. Anyways, we've chalked it up to the strain of the economy that must be taking its toll on charitable donations. They must have had to cut down on the "endless meals/ice cream" at least for returning families and perhaps the extra family members staying on trips. :confused3

Oh, things like that really bug me also! I agree that the majority of the public thinks MAW=dying. When we first started planning Nathan's trip, we didn't tell my MIL. She reacts strangely to things ( she's a different sort of person-like she was furious with us when we first decided to take Nathan for a second opinion to a cardiologist who is one of the best in the world for his heart disease. Who knows why she was upset about it). Anyway, we thought it would be easier to deal with once everything was ironed out about it. We didn't count on Nathan telling her about it when he was spending an afternoon with her. She called me hysterical- she was sure that Nathan was dying and we were keeping it from her. She heard MAW and assumed terminal.

Are we related? My mother does the same thing. I hear at least once a week that at least one of my sister's or that I am "keeping something from her".

I've had a very busy week trying to get Zander's school problems ironed out and get him into a good class(a month long battle). Thankfully that was finally finished today and he loves his new teachers :)

I've read the last few pages but just don't have time to muti-quote.
:welcome: to all our new Wish Family members. You all are in for an experience of a lifetime :)

As far as packing lists go, our Amber is the queen there. She has the list I believe on her PTR. I'll look in a few. And don't forget to bring LOTS of tissue, for the happy tears.

As far as extra family memebers going on their own dime. My mom and niece joined us. Our MAW granters let us know right away for our flight so we could make sure to get their tickets --just ask :)

My mom & niece couldn't stay with us at GKTW because the max occupancy is 7 and that was just us and our kids, otherwise they could have stayed.

They were able to participate in all the activities at GKTW, including the Christmas Party. They did not exclude my niece at all. They ate at the Ice Cream Shop with no problem. They never did join us at the Gingerbread House because they had a dining plan attatched to their hotel. I know that BigDisGramma has information on this on her TR, I'll try to find that too.

MAW added my mom to our trip here. They were included in our GAC and we never had a problem with it all week.

I'm not watching because we don't have TV. I have to wait until it's online to see it. That urks me too! Just think how many familes may miss out because they are portraying inaccurate information

It always amazes my when something like that is portrayed incorrectly, not just in this instance but in any FACTUAL story. I mean, dont they do their research?? Or is it that they do research but fabrication fits into a storyline better than fact, me thinks the latter.

Mandy
I think so too. Anything for the story :sad2:
I didn't want to comment before but since it has happened to you...
When we visited GKTW during our vacation on Dec. 22nd, both dh and I were disappointed with our reception at the front desk.

I bet I can describe the lady at the desk to you :X
We got that too, from the same lady, two days in a row. Thankfully there was a cheery person just behind her that I made eye contact with and just changed who I was talking to. I was amazed how "bare" GKTW was too. We ran into the same 3-4 families during the week but only at the Christmas party did we see more than that at any given time. I would never have thought they were full that week. There were 2 villas by us that were empty for a few days and finally got new families on the 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!