Magical Express to end in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if the success of Disney+ played a part in this and other unpopular decisions

If you think you have a vehicle to get lot of new customers (park and resort guests) then you can be less concerned about keeping the ones you have

I am wondering if the success of Disney+ played a part in this and other unpopular decisions

If you think you have a vehicle to get lot of new customers (park and resort guests) then you can be less concerned about keeping the ones you have
I don’t think the two are related. They’re in totally separate business units.

*some* *Potential* benefit for *some* people :)

I mean, of course you are right, we will have to see how this all shakes out. My guess is that this essentially ends up like there being no EMHs, and parks open 30mins earlier. I mean, you can currently get 1 or 2 headliners in with little or no wait if you rope drop at the non-EMH park(s). I'm not sure anyone is going find this "better" than EMHs to be honest, though better I suppose than just regular rope drop sure.

But I think it provides an advantage for those staying on site as, at a minimum, you get on like/ride the big new ride in each park before the gates open to off site folks. Think Mine Train, MMRR, coming Tron, Rat, and Guardians.

At least it is something and something different that at a minimum could be better in some situations

Just flat out cutting DME doesn't benefit anyone in any situatikn

I don’t think the two are related. They’re in totally separate business units.
I guess we will see how much WDW gets advertised on Disney+ and if it reinforces a new generation of Disney fans. in the end it is one big brand

The thing about any changes Disney makes is that the impact varies from person to person. Some complain so much when they remove the street performers because they love that aspect of the parks, however some don't care. In many cases though they also add things - look at all of the new attractions that have been added! For some, gaining Ratatouille doesn't make up for the loss of something else, but for others it does. I'll admit to being annoyed by the loss of DME as I don't see a comparable offering and it does make staying onsite less valuable, but for some it won't matter as they didn't use it anyway.

I agree that the only way that Disney would change course would be if they started seeing impacts to reservations or spending. Reservations would probably be more likely to have an impact. That said, Disney doesn't sell "magic". They sell theme parks, food, merchandise and hotel rooms. They do pretty much all of those things really well. They've kept raising prices over the last decade and attendance kept going up and up. If their attendance starts to drop, you'll see prices go down.

In reality, most of us won't like this change but we'll still go, so what lesson is Disney learning?

Its the NY Yankees effect...if you sell enough $5000 seats it doesnt matter how many people show up in the $15 ones.

I'm always amazed at this undertone of disdain for those of us who are still overall satisfied with Disney and will continue to vacation there, even staying onsite.

As if we are somehow naive or less intelligent...

Exactly. As I said, every change is received differently by each person. While some cuts are disappointing, I don't think it can be said that they haven't been investing in the parks with all the new stuff they have built/are building (COVID impact notwithstanding). They take things and they give things - for some it doesn't balance out and for others it does. I am sure that the decisions are guided by at least some market research too. Sure, it sucks to lose a beloved aspect of the parks, but for me, they haven't gotten near close enough for me to feel like I wouldn't want to keep going.

Last edited:
Point taken.

And, honestly, you hit the point that fairly or unfairly frustrates me the most.

I totally understand and appreciate that, as customers and fans, this community of people is frustrated when the cost of a Disney trip is devalued through (1) rising costs and/or (2) less offerings.

But, as you stated, the ONLY way Disney changes course is when the top line shows the stress - and that only happens when people stop spending.

This isn’t happening and leads to my sacred cow comment.

If your favorite restaurant starts making crappier food and charging more, you ditch it and find a new favorite. Disney fans don’t seem to do this and that’s what baffles me.
There are many "lifers" out there and I admit, I am one. I blame it on my dear Mother LOL! She was determined to take us to Disney in 1973 and my Dad drove us there and back in our new Ford with no a/c...1800 miles one way. We had family in Orlando since the late 1950's so it was familiar territory.

My DH of 39 years was on board from year "2" and our son (now 32) had no choice but now goes with DIL several times a year and we spend a week or two together over Halloween. We bought into DVC in 1996 (we own 6 contracts). We've hosted family and friends. In retirement (3 years or so) we plan to spend at least a month at WDW. If we really love spending that much time, we'll buy more.

It's truly our second home though we've enjoyed European vacations, RV trips and good old road trips. We always come home to Disney. Like any family they've disappointed us many times, this year being a real downer for obvious reasons and now ME, but it's still part of our family traditions. I guess that is why Disney fans keep going.

I know it is perplexing to others, but we're otherwise normal LOL! :earboy2:

Most of the resorts that are opened are the DVC side of properties that have to be opened. A good majority of the resort sides of DVC properties remain closed or are opening later this year. PO and the All Stars being closed are massive properties. The resorts that are open are most likely the resorts that will be open for 2021. I can’t see them opening anymore than what are announced.
Any guesses as to why? I wish we could see the data on how much this act is COSTING US, the DVC members to help subsidize the stays of THEIR guest. You can’t tell me that’s a big contributing factor in the increase of dues.

Any guesses as to why? I wish we could see the data on how much this act is COSTING US, the DVC members to help subsidize the stays of THEIR guest. You can’t tell me that’s a big contributing factor in the increase of dues.

I don’t understand the subsidizing statement. My understanding is that Disney prices the cash DVC stays high enough to offset the dues that would otherwise be paid for those units. As to shared amenities, such as shops, restaurants, and transportation, those should be in writing in a contract between DVC and the resorts, limiting the portion paid by DVC dues. So I am genuinely confused what DVC is paying that they wouldn’t be paying under normal circumstances.

Shouldn’t baffle you it’s pretty simple, Disney fans don’t ditch it even if they are unhappy with certain changes or aspects because they still enjoy or find value in the overall experience. Also a whole bunch of nostalgia and emotions wrapped up in there too.

It’s less like being loyal to a brand and then switching it up if you are dissatisfied and more like sports fans or something. If you are a fan of a sports team, especially a lifelong one, you don’t just quit when they are playing poorly or management is making decisions you disagree with. It takes a whole lot more when you are invested emotionally or otherwise. There are some sports fans who are disgruntled for years, even lifetimes lol.
Bingo. It's the nostalgia and emotion that keeps Disney fans coming back even when Disney reduces the value by raising prices or offering less for the current prices. Your entire comment is spot on. The analogy to sports was perfect. It's almost an abusive relationship where the person being abused "loves" the other person and can't bring themselves to leave. It's hard to leave something you are emotionally tied to or love. But eventually, after enough years of getting walked on, many people do finally leave.

Bingo. It's the nostalgia and emotion that keeps Disney fans coming back even when Disney reduces the value by raising prices or offering less for the current prices. Your entire comment is spot on. The analogy to sports was perfect. It's almost an abusive relationship where the person being abused "loves" the other person and can't bring themselves to leave. It's hard to leave something you are emotionally tied to or love. But eventually, after enough years of getting walked on, many people do finally leave.

I'm not an abused spouse. Come on! 🤣

I think the ones who are most upset are usually the ones most obsessed. Which is why you try to "understand" those who aren't as upset as you.

The thing about any changes Disney makes is that the impact varies from person to person. Some complain so much when they remove the street performers because they love that aspect of the parks, however some don't care. In many cases though they also add things - look at all of the new attractions that have been added! For some, gaining Ratatouille doesn't make up for the loss of something else, but for others it does. I'll admit to being annoyed by the loss of DME as I don't see a comparable offering and it does make staying onsite less valuable, but for some it won't matter as they didn't use it anyway.
Great point. It's the circle of life. Nothing will be part of the WDW experience forever. To keep the experience fresh, things get phased out and other things get phased in. I don't have a problem with it. But, like you said, for others change can be difficult. At the end of the day, it's WDW for heaven's sake!!! The experience and the vibe of WDW is like no place else. I couldn't be happier that we decided to become part of the DVC family last year.

I think the ones who are most upset are usually the ones most obsessed. Which is why you try to "understand" those who aren't as upset as you.

I think in this metaphor it is the complainers who are the abused spouses ... As we complain and are "wronged" but keep coming back for more😂

Hey, neither am I! Lol. We have close to the same mindset. I love Disney. My entire family loves Disney. We are always looking forward to the next trip. I was just agreeing with the reason why people are so willing to deal with decisions like the changes DME and EMH. Yes, they aren't happy. But Disney holds a special place in their heart so they just deal with it. I, personally, don't mind either decision because I see positives in those decisions. Maybe the abusive relationship analogy was a tad much (since they aren't literally hitting us)...although it does feel like abuse when I get the post-Disney credit card bill :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter