Magical Express to end in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing the contract with Mears was up for renewal come 1/1/22 and based on decreased revenue Disney decided not to reup. Just really shows how much Disney is still losing on a daily basis by not filling the resorts. The parks are packed, but the resorts are still a ghost town. And I think Disney realizes that’s not going to change for the rest of the year, and probably next year as well. Yes, DVC will fill up because people have an abundance of points they have to use (I have my full 6/21 use year available and haven’t had the future use year fully available in the 10+ years I’ve been a member). But cash guests are still going to be infrequent and Disney knows this.

DME was great (we never used it as we always rented a car when we lived in NY and flew down) but it was still relatively new in the life of WDW and people survived prior to it and will survive after. I do agree with others on here though that Disney needs to anticipate the reactions to news like this and have alternatives ready to go at a news drop like this, instead of coming off as smug and saying people can just use ride share.
This could also be a negotiating tactic. Given the situation, Disney probably asked for a reduction due to the reduced use. Mears not providing one due to their fixed costs, leaving Disney with only one way to reduce the cost. Mears, who has a lot invested in the service, has to either take a restructuring loss or give better terms to Disney.
Just thinking out loud.

Don't like this at all, and no way I'll rent a car and pay for parking, so it'll be cab/uber for us after this. Despite the extra cost, I don't hate that as Disney is right in saying it's more convenient. I loved having my bags picked up (even though I know they aren't doing it now due to COVID, I'm sure they'll start again before this is done), but going to pick them up myself doesn't waste all that much time, especially if we now can get a ride on demand that will take us straight to our destination without stops (again for a fee though, which stinks).

Now, if they do away with Resort Airline check-in, that will be a tremendous blow for us in terms of convenience and time saving - being able to drop your bags off the morning of departure and also check in for your flight before heading out for that last park day, saving the time of doing both at the airport later was a godsend. If that goes away, it's definitely something that could absolutely drive us to stay offsite.
Resort Airline check-in has yet to return post-reopening. no announcement of if/when it will return.

I was thinking the same thing. DVC resort parking will fill much faster now, and then you can expect them to remove DVC free parking soon after, citing, "due to increased demand for parking at our DVC resorts..." >:(
It’s based on Magic bands/entry media, not parking spaces. In any case “free” parking is in the DVC contract so it’s here to stay. (Free in quotes because it’s more accurate to think of it as prepaid parking).

Well this will price me out as I often travel solo due to being the only Disney fan among my family/friends, but I can't afford to pay for airport transportation/rent a car for one. So I guess if I don't get there in the next year I won't be going. Just so stupid.

They are making it less and less appealing to make the effort to go to Disney or stay on property. Also did they turn off comments on the article. I can't see a way to comment and there are only 2 comments so far.
Yeah, I can't comment either. I guess you need to be special.

This is a big change if true. It will add stress and complications to a lot of vacations.

Exactly. For us, if we flew, the whole point of staying on site was so we didn't have to go through the hassle of booking transportation - be that renting a car, arranging shuttles etc... And it truly did just feel like part of the "bubble".

Now, if they do away with Resort Airline check-in, that will be a tremendous blow for us in terms of convenience and time saving - being able to drop your bags off the morning of departure and also check in for your flight before heading out for that last park day, saving the time of doing both at the airport later was a godsend. If that goes away, it's definitely something that could absolutely drive us to stay offsite.

I seriously doubt airline checkin or baggage service will return. I think the company that did the baggage service went out of business. So without the baggage service the airline checkin part is pretty useless. Just my .02

One of the few ways Disney might listen to is if it affects their bottom line. Here is a copy of the email I just sent them:

------------------------------
Thank you for eliminating Disney's Magical Express! I will save SO much money!

By eliminating this service, I will have to rent a car, and in doing so my family of 7 will have SO much more flexibility to leave WDW to shop and dine off-site, where prices are cheaper. I can even finally go to Universal which I've been meaning to do for a few years.

I will save so much money by spending drastically less time and money within the Disney bubble! Thank you again!

Resort Airline check-in has yet to return post-reopening. no announcement of if/when it will return.

Oh I didn't realize that. Major bummer there. So I guess this change will affect us even if we go this year like planned anyway. Unless it comes back for a final run before DME goes away.

Just to add to the rental car discussion I have always went through Costco to rent my car as they seem to have the best deals. I've always rented cars as I like it have freedom when on Vacation.

Oh my word this makes me want to gag so bad. Used to be an hour (sometimes even more), now it's a whopping 30 minutes. Used to be after hours as well, which was really awesome, but now it's only mornings. I love how they have completely diminished this offering but try to pretend it's new and exciting. They really ought to teach marketing classes. They excel at selling bull.

I’m guessing the contract with Mears was up for renewal come 1/1/22 and based on decreased revenue Disney decided not to reup. Just really shows how much Disney is still losing on a daily basis by not filling the resorts. The parks are packed, but the resorts are still a ghost town. And I think Disney realizes that’s not going to change for the rest of the year, and probably next year as well. Yes, DVC will fill up because people have an abundance of points they have to use (I have my full 6/21 use year available and haven’t had the future use year fully available in the 10+ years I’ve been a member). But cash guests are still going to be infrequent and Disney knows this.

DME was great (we never used it as we always rented a car when we lived in NY and flew down) but it was still relatively new in the life of WDW and people survived prior to it and will survive after. I do agree with others on here though that Disney needs to anticipate the reactions to news like this and have alternatives ready to go at a news drop like this, instead of coming off as smug and saying people can just use ride share.
I don’t understand why they have opened up so many resorts if they’re all ghost towns as you say?

Can someone tell me why Disney is making it harder, not easier for me to book a disney vacation?

i get it, people must still be going like gangbusters, or they are hurting that bad. But why are they making the decision harder for me to choose disney?

Its yet another perk for those that use the service, that is being taken away, but no reduction in price in your hotel stay or ticket is being offered. Pay the same (more than likely more) and get less of a product.

I was already done with DME after bad experiences, but WOW. I am shocked. Really interested to see what they offer in the future.

They really need to stop with the parking fees at the resorts. Leaves a bad taste even more now.
There needs to be some way to discourage parking at the resorts though. Those parking lots aren't big enough for every guest to park a car.

One of the few ways Disney might listen to is if it affects their bottom line. Here is a copy of the email I just sent them:

------------------------------
Thank you for eliminating Disney's Magical Express! I will save SO much money!

By eliminating this service, I will have to rent a car, and in doing so my family of 7 will have SO much more flexibility to leave WDW to shop and dine off-site, where prices are cheaper. I can even finally go to Universal which I've been meaning to do for a few years.

I will save so much money by spending drastically less time and money within the Disney bubble! Thank you again!

Whats the email address

the cost to uber/lyft will more than likely double simply due to demand. Same for rental cars. Are there even enough rental cars to cover?

Lets think about this - how many people used DME in one day?

Now all of those people need a different way to get to WDW. It will be surge pricing for everyone.

And if more people snag rental cars - there may not even BE enough to go around - hello Christmas week, Thanksgiving Week, etc.

For the first time ever I just wrote an email complaining to Disney for whatever good that does - I am so angry about this. I have to now take up a carry on with a booster seat - FUN.
Uber and Lyft will adjust to the level of demand. There are also other services that offer paid rides (both shared and alone) to hotels. Rental car companies will adjust the inventory of rental cars available to adjust for any increased demand, it's not like many people are going to show up and expect to rent a car on the spot. There will be options available even if Disney doesn't introduce some kind of paid service. I'm sure other companies will step in to fill the void left by the removal of DME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter