Magical Express Replacement

So this is merely (pun intended) a reaffirmation of what they said when Disney announced the end of Magical Express. No additional details except that they'll likely expand it to include other theme parks as well. On second read, they are saying that luggage service would be included, so that is some additional info, I guess.

Steve

I’m really curious to see what luggage handling means. It could just mean that they place it under the bus for you. I highly doubt it’s like it used to be under DME but one can dream right?

It's disappointing that this will no longer be a built-in perk, but if the price is decent it'll be good. Maybe they can run more direct routes.

I’m really curious to see what luggage handling means. It could just mean that they place it under the bus for you. I highly doubt it’s like it used to be under DME but one can dream right?

From an operational point of view, there's no reason Mears couldn't provide the same baggage service as before. The entire DME operation was performed by third parties (Mears and BAGS, Inc), and the infrastructure already exists at MCO to do it. Of course, the volume won't be as high as before. The big unknown is the cost. Personally, if the baggage is handled similarly to DME, I'm more than willing to pay for the service on that basis alone. There's just the two of us, we're older and DW needs a wheelchair most of the time to get around the airport. I'll take all the assistance I can get. 😃

This is just my guess, but I think Mears is going to be very reasonable on the pricing. They already have a huge potential market that has used the service for 15 years. They have the busses and personnel. They have a system that works, and already know their costs. If it were me, I'd be wanting to do everything in my power to continue that business line and keep the goodwill i already have by pricing the service as low as possible.

Mears is in control of their destiny on this (and I'm sure they know that). They aren't going to want to screw it up with pricing errors.

Steve

From an operational point of view, there's no reason Mears couldn't provide the same baggage service as before. The entire DME operation was performed by third parties (Mears and BAGS, Inc), and the infrastructure already exists at MCO to do it. Of course, the volume won't be as high as before. The big unknown is the cost. Personally, if the baggage is handled similarly to DME, I'm more than willing to pay for the service on that basis alone. There's just the two of us, we're older and DW needs a wheelchair most of the time to get around the airport. I'll take all the assistance I can get. 😃

This is just my guess, but I think Mears is going to be very reasonable on the pricing. They already have a huge potential market that has used the service for 15 years. They have the busses and personnel. They have a system that works, and already know their costs. If it were me, I'd be wanting to do everything in my power to continue that business line and keep the goodwill i already have by pricing the service as low as possible.

Mears is in control of their destiny on this (and I'm sure they know that). They aren't going to want to screw it up with pricing errors.

Steve
I agree. Pricing will be the key - like you mentioned the infrastructure is already in place and is working well. They will need to make themselves competitive and a lot people will choose them just for familiarity. People like the feeling the DME provided and this will essentially be the exact experience without the Disney branding. "(Per the Mears Connect website, specifics and reservations will be unveiled in May 2021.) "

Without the luggage benefit, the convenience of using a private service, or Uber/Lyft is a better option in my mind. Especially if the cost is similar - no waiting in a long line, go directly to the resort, no crowds on a big bus... To get me to use a bus again it would have to be a very minimal cost.

but that's just me.

So this is merely (pun intended) a reaffirmation of what they said when Disney announced the end of Magical Express. No additional details except that they'll likely expand it to include other theme parks as well. On second read, they are saying that luggage service would be included, so that is some additional info, I guess.

Steve
Ugh! I remember Mears transportation from prior to DME. You would board a shared ride vehicle and get the grand tour of I-Drive and a number of other resorts and timeshares before finally heading to WDW resorts. Notice that the announcement doesn't specifically say Disney World Resorts? It reads "The Mears Connect service will initially operate between the Orlando International Airport and resorts in the Walt Disney World area". I take that to mean that buses will be stopping at a lot of non-Disney owned hotels along the way. It's the reason that we switched to a town car service.

Without the luggage benefit, the convenience of using a private service, or Uber/Lyft is a better option in my mind. Especially if the cost is similar - no waiting in a long line, go directly to the resort, no crowds on a big bus... To get me to use a bus again it would have to be a very minimal cost.

but that's just me.
I think the target audience will be families with young kids who need car seats and those with mobility issues. Anyone not in those categories will likely be better off with Uber.

I think the target audience will be families with young kids who need car seats and those with mobility issues. Anyone not in those categories will likely be better off with Uber.
Unless the per person cost is high, then many families with littles will be priced out and better renting a car. We are boarder line fly vs drive distance. Dropping magical express sealed us on drive. I'm thinking future trips to Florida Disney will just be a part of. Easy enough since we'll have our van.

Remember a time before DME when Mears offered service to Disney at a cost. For 3 teenagers and 2 adults it was cheaper to rent a limo! Hope cost is under control..we will see.

I do remember those times and if you had 4 people a car service was just about mandatory especially with a early or late arrival.

Ugh! I remember Mears transportation from prior to DME. You would board a shared ride vehicle and get the grand tour of I-Drive and a number of other resorts and timeshares before finally heading to WDW resorts. Notice that the announcement doesn't specifically say Disney World Resorts? It reads "The Mears Connect service will initially operate between the Orlando International Airport and resorts in the Walt Disney World area". I take that to mean that buses will be stopping at a lot of non-Disney owned hotels along the way. It's the reason that we switched to a town car service.

When DME came along I cheered, Because it meant no more car service/rental cars, I do remember the grand tour of International Drive and the surly service Mears is known for.

When DME came along I cheered, Because it meant no more car service/rental cars, I do remember the grand tour of International Drive and the surly service Mears is known for.
We did the Mears shared shuttle once many years ago when staying at the Dolphin. Seatbelts didn’t work, seats were sticky, we were packed into a van that smelled like onions and diapers that sat in the hot sun, the miserable driver was chucking the bags around, and it took us about 2 hours before we got to the hotel because we stopped at a ton of off-site properties before getting there. Not a magical way to start a vacation for sure!

Steve

Also remember Mears due to long term contracts etc has a lock on bus service in the Orlando metroplex, So effectively they are the only game in town but also they need to make a profit from running the service Disney did not and they are going to need to pay MCO and Disney for credentialing use of bus stops etc. So I think at at least $100-$150 round trip per person.

We did the Mears shared shuttle once many years ago when staying at the Dolphin. Seatbelts didn’t work, seats were sticky, we were packed into a van that smelled like onions and diapers that sat in the hot sun, the miserable driver was chucking the bags around, and it took us about 2 hours before we got to the hotel because we stopped at a ton of off-site properties before getting there. Not a magical way to start a vacation for sure!

Yes we had the same experience, and the thought was next time we are renting a car which we did a Mustang convertible with a 5 liter engine, Fast enough to get away from the maniac's on I-4

Also remember Mears due to long term contracts etc has a lock on bus service in the Orlando metroplex, So effectively they are the only game in town but also they need to make a profit from running the service Disney did not and they are going to need to pay MCO and Disney for credentialing use of bus stops etc. So I think at at least $100-$150 round trip per person.

At $100 -150 per person, for two people it's would be cheaper to get a town car without waiting and all the extra stops.

I just checked Uber pricing, I posted in the other thread $85 for Uber X MCO to WL.

I'd book a car service before I'd take a chance on ride share costs.

Disney can control Mears. Is Disney willing to at least indirectly subsidize Mears. Delivery luggage to guest rooms at no charge. At a minimum give space for RAC rent free. Could actually pay Mears a fee for every guest transported.

On the other hand Disney could squeeze Mears. Charge them for a bus stop in the resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter