Magic May 31, 2014 A Magical Voyage Around the Mediterranean

Jim,

This is the second cruise, or is it third, that we've almost sailed together. One of these days we'll finally make it, I'm sure.

See you over on XMTS.

I know. It looks like I'm running away but I'm not. I know it sucks for you because now you have a harder time convincing your wife to let you bring a kilt :lmao:

Actually we are bouncing around a 7-day eastern in Jan (better ports but more time at sea), a 7-day in western in May (less time at sea and more ports), and a 5-day western with 4 days in WDW on a military pass.

Leaning toward the eastern myself but we will be making the decision this weekend.

Maybe see you folks on one of those.

Jim

Joining you on this cruise! Me, DH, DS (11) and DD (8). 5th DCL, so we'll be gold after (woohoo)

2nd Med Cruise. First one was 10 nights in 2010. Really wanted to do a longer one but they didn't fit our school schedule.

Now looking for flights, but they're still too expensive. They have to be really cheap as DH hates flying, so if we can't get them cheap it'll be a looooooooong 15+ hours car drive each way :-(

Welcome!!!! My son is 10, will be 11 at the time of the He cannot wait for the cruise! Nice to know that there will be another boy his age. Where are you coming from?

Reporting aboard!

We will be celebrating DS's college graduation. :cool1:

Probably should have provided a bit more information.

This will be the 4th DCL cruise for me and DW (third on the Magic), but only 2nd for our DD (26) and DS (22).

I've been to the Med several times courtesy of Uncle Sam but that was quite a while ago; last time to Italy was perhaps 7-8 years ago. DD was in northern Italy about 4 years ago.

Hi, my name is Linet and I am hopping to join all of you next year. Right now I have reservation for the Fantasy on may 24, but trying to change it for the mediterranean cruise. I have a 13 DD, 14 next year. Its there any other teen on this page?

Hi!
My name is Meghann and, if nothing goes wrong, I shoud be part of this cruise, with my mother (but she doesn't know about it, it will be a surprise for her birthday and the mother day). I already booked this trip (during my amazing Alaskan hollidays) and I can't hardly wait for it! In fact, we live in France, so it will be a little bit closer from home for us, but we never saw Italia before, so it will be a real adventure for us too. And more of that, I can't wait to see the new Magic!

Have a nice day everybody!

Hi!
My name is Meghann and, if nothing goes wrong, I shoud be part of this cruise, with my mother (but she doesn't know about it, it will be a surprise for her birthday and the mother day). I already booked this trip (during my amazing Alaskan hollidays) and I can't hardly wait for it! In fact, we live in France, so it will be a little bit closer from home for us, but we never saw Italia before, so it will be a real adventure for us too. And more of that, I can't wait to see the new Magic!

Have a nice day everybody!

Welcome!!!!!

Hi all!!! Someone had asked about hotels on the FB page. Thought I'd share here too. We are staying at the Barcelona Hilton. Not the one Disney uses right near port but the one near the Barcelona football stadium. We booked for $164 the night before the cruise and $134 for 2 nights after. There is a HOHO bus stop right by the hotel and the soccer stadium is 1 mile away from the hotel.

Disney wanted $350-$400 for the Hilton near port.. No brainer to me but....

Also, we are booking a private tour in Rome if anyone is interested. Right now the price is $480 per person but that is because it is for 4 people. If we add people obviously the price will go down.

Do you know which place you will see during this tour Tianni? Thank you so much

This is the description of the tour we are taking!! :) I CANNOT WAIT!!!:cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:

Meet your driver on the pier for the approximately one-hour drive to the Vatican City. Upon arrival in Rome, you will meet your professionally trained, licensed tour guide and begin your private visit of Vatican City, the smallest state in the world.

Within Vatican City is the Vatican Museum. The museum is made up of over one thousand rooms and galleries containing a multitude of amazing treasures collected by popes throughout the centuries. It would take days to even scratch the surface. With your private guide and priority entrance you will avoid the long lines outside and be able to spend more time in the museum itself. You will have time to see some of the most important galleries and outstanding museum pieces, but please be aware that you will only see a portion of the museum, and that crowds are to be expected.

At the end of the museum is the Sistine Chapel, which can only be reached by a staircase. Built between the years 1473 and 1481, it is the best-known chapel in the official residence of the pope in Vatican City. Part of its fame rests on its architecture, with internal measurements of 134 feet long by 44 feet wide, the dimensions of Solomon's Temple as given in the Old Testament. Adding to its fame is its decoration, with frescoes throughout by the greatest Renaissance artists, including Michelangelo, Bernini, Raphael, and Botticelli. Under the patronage of Pope Julius II, Michelangelo painted 12,000 square feet of the chapel ceiling, 68 feet above the floor, between the years 1508 and 1512. Although he resented the commission, today the ceiling, and especially "The Last Judgment," are widely believed to be Michelangelo's crowning achievements in painting.

From the chapel, a staircase leads you past the long lines waiting to enter the Basilica, from St. Mark's Square to your last visit in the Vatican City, St. Peter's Basilica. The Basilica has the largest interior of any Christian church in the world, holding 60,000 people. It is regarded as one of the holiest Christian sites in the world. It is the burial site of its namesake Saint Peter, who was one of the twelve apostles of Jesus. Catholic tradition holds that Saint Peter's tomb is below the altar of the Basilica. There has been a church on this site since the 4th century.

Based on the design of Donato Brumante, the current building's foundation stone was laid on April 18, 1506. Five other designers and two additional popes would be involved before Michelangelo, then in his seventies, was forced to become the designer in 1547. He is the man considered the principal designer of a majority of the present-day building's interior, as well as the man who finally got the construction moving forward. Among the many fine pieces of art and mosaics on display are Michelangelo's "Pieta," and the beautifully carved Bernini Pulpit.

After your visit to the Vatican City, explore the Imperial area of Rome, reflecting twelve centuries of cultural, political and religious history. You will make an inside visit to the Symbol of the "Eternal City," the Roman Colosseum, one of the most important monuments of ancient Rome. A masterpiece of classical architecture, the Colosseum is an enormous amphitheater where gladiators, Christians and wild beasts once battled to the death in front of 50,000 spectators.

Then, visit the highlights of Old Rome, the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Your guide will also make suggestions on where you might like to purchase a quick lunch along the way. At the end of the touring, your private guide will bid you farewell and you will make the return drive to the port.

PLEASE NOTE: Due to new regulations at the Vatican Museum, the guest booking the tour must provide the following information from their valid passport at the time of booking. 1) Name, 2) Birth date, 3) Place of birth.

This guest must also present their passport to the Vatican officials upon arrival at the museum. This ONLY applies to the person making the booking and not everyone in the group. Due to crowds at the site, tour may operate in a different order. All sites will be visited.

Sounds like a good tour. We are also taking a private tour in Rome but since it's DS's graduation present, we're letting him decide what we'll see. He wants to see St Peter's Square but not the Museum or Sistine Chapel, so I've been looking at tours that mostly include the major highlights of Rome (Forum, Colosseum, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps). He also wants some time to just walk around. At this point I've only been looking, haven't booked anything yet.

Im interested by this tour because I'm very interested by the Vatican, maybe we will join you, I just have to check the other options. How many people can take this tour? Is it a Disney tour? Thank you so much Tianni

Im interested by this tour because I'm very interested by the Vatican, maybe we will join you, I just have to check the other options. How many people can take this tour? Is it a Disney tour? Thank you so much Tianni

It is NOT a DCL excursion... We opted out of the DCL excursions for this one b/c we WANT to see EVERYTHING... We have a friend who is a travel agent and he has helped us with this one... This tour ENSURES that we will make it back to the boat ON TIME and if we do not, they pay for our arrangements to get to the next location. I am SUPER excited on this one...:cheer2::cheer2:

MOM... chime in here.....

It can accommodate up to 12 people and the price goes down accordingly as follows:
5- $420
6- $394
7- $383
8- $370
9- $362
10- $350
11- $348
12- $343

Hi all!!! Someone had asked about hotels on the FB page. Thought I'd share here too. We are staying at the Barcelona Hilton. Not the one Disney uses right near port but the one near the Barcelona football stadium. We booked for $164 the night before the cruise and $134 for 2 nights after. There is a HOHO bus stop right by the hotel and the soccer stadium is 1 mile away from the hotel.

Disney wanted $350-$400 for the Hilton near port.. No brainer to me but....

Also, we are booking a private tour in Rome if anyone is interested. Right now the price is $480 per person but that is because it is for 4 people. If we add people obviously the price will go down.

Are you taking a taxi to the port?

Are you taking a taxi to the port?

Not 100% sure yet. If we end up with enough people in our hotel to get a van or something we could do that but if it is just the 4 of us we will probably take a cab.

Joining you on this cruise! Me, DH, DS (11) and DD (8). 5th DCL, so we'll be gold after (woohoo)

2nd Med Cruise. First one was 10 nights in 2010. Really wanted to do a longer one but they didn't fit our school schedule.

Now looking for flights, but they're still too expensive. They have to be really cheap as DH hates flying, so if we can't get them cheap it'll be a looooooooong 15+ hours car drive each way :-(

Hi, I saw that you go to Disney Paris twice a year. How long is from Paris to Disneyland. We are staying near eifferl tower.

LInetbo, I'd say you will have about 1 hour and thirty minutes to go from Paris to Disneyland Paris, if you use the RER. I'll check and will come back to you, but the two places are a little bit far from each other. If you want to go to Disneyland Paris, maybe you should consider to stay closer from the resort (the Kyriad hotel is a good place, and has a free shuttle to the parc). How many days do you intend to spend at Disney?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter