Magic Key Renewals Start 8/18

I was able to renew about 7 hours after getting into the queue on my phone. I didn't spend much time paying attention to it. Just went about my day until I heard the chime signaling it was my turn. Had no issues getting Inspire keys with the payment plan. Everything went smoothly.

Random question for all of you MK savvy. If I want to buy party tickets next year, do MKs offer discounts? If there are, is the discount applied to all party tickets or just the MK owner? Yes I know they aren't selling any new ones for now, this is me starting to check options for next year.

Random question for all of you MK savvy. If I want to buy party tickets next year, do MKs offer discounts? If there are, is the discount applied to all party tickets or just the MK owner? Yes I know they aren't selling any new ones for now, this is me starting to check options for next year.

No discounts on after hours events.

No discounts -- but we did get advance booking for Oogie Boogie this year. That was helpful!

QUESTION... Disney is telling me something different but blogs and news articles saying something else.
My MK expires on the 26th. My wife's pass expires on 9/3.
I want to let my pass expire and renew with my wife at or around 9/3.

Disney says once it expires on the 26th I cannot renew.
Blogs and news articles state that I have a 30 day window to renew from my expire date.

Who is right?
And can anyone point me to the direction on where this 30 day window rule is shown on a Disney site or link?
Thanks

QUESTION... Disney is telling me something different but blogs and news articles saying something else.

Blogs and news articles state that I have a 30 day window to renew from my expire date.

Who is right?
And can anyone point me to the direction on where this 30 day window rule is shown on a Disney site or link?
Thanks

I think Disney is right. I think the phrasing on the blogs and news articles is wrong. I think the 30 day window starts before the expiration date and there is not an additional 30 day window after the date. Disney is not selling new magic keys right now. If you let your magic key go beyond its expiration date, then it has expired and you no longer have a magic key, so if you try to buy a magic key it would be a "new" magic key. I think exceptions are only being made for those who had magic keys that expired before August 18, and I doubt that there are very many such cases since they only would have arisen through upgrades of regular multi-day tickets that were being used up to 13 days before the magic key program started or military tickets that were used in the months before the program began.

I see this phrasing when I look at the renewal page in my account on the Disneyland webpage:
At this time, you can renew up to 30 days before your Magic Key pass expiration date.

As you may know, we have paused new sales of Magic Key passes. At this time, current Magic Key holders have the opportunity during their renewal window to renew their Magic Key pass and get one of several Magic Key passes that are available for this year’s program. Disney may limit the quantity of passes and pass types, and passes and pass types may not be available for renewal from time to time or at any time.

Back when Disney still offered renewal discounts on annual passes, I do believe you could still renew for up to 30 days after your expiration date. But in those cases, you still kept your original expiration date, so the only benefit in doing that kind of renewal was to get the discount. In the past when we let our expiration date pass and repurchased at full price, our annual passes were always counted as new passes with new expiration dates, even the time we did start new passes up again less than 30 days after the old ones expired.

Who is right?
Thanks
I don't know if anyone can say with absolute certainty, but all of the official wording (on the renewal page) only says 30 days before - and they're telling people whose MKs have already expired that they have to call to renew. (If it were 30 days after, many of them would not need to call.)

I'm wondering if the blogs might be confused because WDW's APs have a 30-day-after grace period.

Btw - unless you're delaying for a financial reason, there's no really great reason to wait on renewing. The renewal dates won't match - yours will still expire on 8/26 next year after you renew.

So went through the renewal process.
Did not receive a confirmation email.
Went back to renewal website now under Passes Not Available for Renewal it shows my name and my 2022 expiration date.
Not sure if that means it went through, but card website does not show as being processed.
Now on the phone, probably going to be a while.

So went through the renewal process.
Did not receive a confirmation email.
Went back to renewal website now under Passes Not Available for Renewal it shows my name and my 2022 expiration date.
Not sure if that means it went through, but card website does not show as being processed.
Now on the phone, probably going to be a while.
Humm.... does the app show note about 'Thank you for Renewing' under your current barcode? In Tickets & Passes page

If credit card was not yet charged it sounds like it didn't go through.

Humm.... does the app show note about 'Thank you for Renewing' under your current barcode? In Tickets & Passes page

If credit card was not yet charged it sounds like it didn't go through.
Used laptop
I am guessing it didn't go through, maybe missed a step.
But odd that MK website says I cannot renew.
20 minute wait on phone so far.

UPDATE after 40 minute wait

Call Agent saw the purchase made.
She did something on her end and the new Inspire Pass showed up in my app.
She just said it is probably just a bug. They have been seeing weird issues with the purchasing process since yesterday.

Last edited:
Hi, Just throwing a question. I have my key (enchant) that expires in May (2023). I was hoping to upgrade to the believe key whenever they get on sale but with the renewals only being available I kind of think is not possible right now. Does it worth trying talking to a cast member in the ticket booth to get them upgraded? Or I'm out of luck? hehe. Thanks!

Hi, Just throwing a question. I have my key (enchant) that expires in May (2023). I was hoping to upgrade to the believe key whenever they get on sale but with the renewals only being available I kind of think is not possible right now. Does it worth trying talking to a cast member in the ticket booth to get them upgraded? Or I'm out of luck? hehe. Thanks!
They won't do it right now.

Who is right?
Thanks
DLRExpert

DISNEYLAND has Magic Keys. As of 8/18/22 the new rule is the renewal period is 30 days BEFORE it expires. If you let it expire you will not be able to RENEW. Full stop. You will be without a key and will have to buy day tickets until sales for new keys opens again. Do not let it expire

DISNEY WORLD has character keys (Incredi-pass, Sorcerer, Pirate and Pixie). Disney WORLD has a renewal period of 60 days before expiration to 30 days after expiration — a 90 day window. What you are reading about 30 days after expiration does not apply to you.

Last edited:
DLRExpert

DISNEYLAND has Magic Keys. As of 8/18/22 the new rule is the renewal period is 30 days BEFORE it expires. If you let it expire you will not be able to RENEW. Full stop. You will be without a key and will have to buy day tickets until sales for new keys opens again. Do not let it expire

DISNEY WORLD has character keys (Incredi-pass, Sorcerer, Pirate and Pixie). Disney WORLD has a renewal period of 60 days before expiration to 30 days after expiration — a 90 dau window. What you are reading about 30 days after expiration does not apply to you.
Understood... Here are some examples of what I was reading.

MiceChat
Magic Keys first became available on August 25th of 2021. Many of those passes are just about to expire. You have 30 days to renew to a new Magic Key from the date your pass expires.

Foxla News
You have 30 days to renew to a new Magic Key from the date your pass expires. When you renew, you can choose to stay at your current pass level or choose any other Magic Key that might be better for you.

Understood... Here are some examples of what I was reading.

MiceChat
Magic Keys first became available on August 25th of 2021. Many of those passes are just about to expire. You have 30 days to renew to a new Magic Key from the date your pass expires.

Foxla News
You have 30 days to renew to a new Magic Key from the date your pass expires. When you renew, you can choose to stay at your current pass level or choose any other Magic Key that might be better for you.
First, I think these are misinterpretations of what Disney's rules actually are. I think they are confusing the 30-day renewal window (which is 30 days BEFORE your pass expires not after).

Also, separately, some MKs did expired before 8/18 (if someone upgraded a multi-day ticket or had upgraded a military ticket). So I believe Disney is allowing those who had MK expire before 8/18 to renew (seeing as they didn't get the opportunity prior to 8/18).

First, I think these are misinterpretations of what Disney's rules actually are. I think they are confusing the 30-day renewal window (which is 30 days BEFORE your pass expires not after).

Also, separately, some MKs did expired before 8/18 (if someone upgraded a multi-day ticket or had upgraded a military ticket). So I believe Disney is allowing those who had MK expire before 8/18 to renew (seeing as they didn't get the opportunity prior to 8/18).
Might get ugly for MK holders and Disney if they think they can renew 30 days after expiration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter