Magic Key Renewals Start 8/18

So are these renewals seriously expected to sell out in one day, or at all for that matter? I mean, would Disney really not allow a huge portion to renew simply because they didn't activate their passes within the first 2-3 weeks last year?

Seems like they're just manufacturing more FOMO.

Interesting! That's exactly where I found the URL at first before I started forcing it to appear on the page. Kept giving me the error I said. I'm almost to work and going to give it a try on a different IP since I still have those links I had pulled saved.
On the off-chance they updated the template after you pulled them, they're in the form:

queue.disneyparks.disney.go.com/?c=disneyparks&e=dlrpassesrenew0818&cid=en-US&q=<queueid>

So are these renewals seriously expected to sell out in one day, or at all for that matter? I mean, would Disney really not allow a huge portion to renew simply because they didn't activate their passes within the first 2-3 weeks last year?

Seems like they're just manufacturing more FOMO.

I think the statement on the renewal thing about "available passes" is just Disney covering their butts, but personally, I think people are likely panicking over nothing. I don't have a huge stake in the renewals as I am not a MK holder, but I can't imagine them cutting off people who want to renew. There will be many who want to, and there will be some who don't for various reasons. I would truly be shocked if they tell current keyholders that they are just out of passes, oopsie.

Now, how many NEW sales they'll allow, well, we'll see. I was hoping to get a MK this year, since I'm moving east in 2024 and I want to spend as much time in the parks as I can before I leave the west coast, but we'll see what happens when they allow it. (I'm sure they will sell new keys, but how MANY, only the Mouse knows.)

For anyone following along, I logged in around 9:15am and was able to renew to Inspire Key around 2:10pm.

As others have pointed out, you can hold your six Dream Key reservations and six Inspire Key reservations at the same time.

And the reservation calendar from September on was wide open when I was reserving dates.

For anyone following along, I logged in around 9:15am and was able to renew to Inspire Key around 2:10pm.

As others have pointed out, you can hold your six Dream Key reservations and six Inspire Key reservations at the same time.

And the reservation calendar from September on was wide open when I was reserving dates.

We must of been standing nearby in the Virtual Queue line 😂 around same timeframe for me.

I'm glad they're allowing the six and six option for new key start dates too (as it should be since it's a new year pass.)

So mad. I was in the queue since 9:00. When my turn came up, it said I’d be redirected to the site to renew my MK. I wasn’t. Nothing happened for nearly a minute. Then the app opened and it took me to the Welcome page…where nothing happened. Then I was told my queue had expired and I’d have to start over. I hate Disney IT.

I called the MK number and got a recorded message to call back later; that they were unusually busy. The message repeated and then the line went dead.

Being a member of Disney’s unfavorable mix class is like sailing steerage on the Titanic.

I experienced the exact same issue. When I finally got through the queue on my iPhone and clicked to renew my MK, I was redirected to the app, which simply displayed a pop-up which said that MK renewals could not be completed on the app at this time. I went back to the browser, clicked on the renewal link a second time and was once again transferred to the app which displayed the exact same message. I deleted the app, went back to the browser, where I was bounced out of the renewal portal promptly placed at the end of the queue to start the process all over again. Fortunately, I had other existing queue positions on other browsers/devices. While waiting for my next renewal opportunity, I deleted the DLR app from all my devices, and was able to renew though the browser without any problems. This was never an issue previously, but FYI to anyone who may want to avoid similar circumstances in the future on devices with the DLR app.

I just did the renewals. Have two passes, put my Dream key to Inspire and the other one from Believe to Enchant. With the increase and no down payment, the monthly was more do-able this way for us. Better to have the free parking. Go 20 times and that's $600 saved.

I think the statement on the renewal thing about "available passes" is just Disney covering their butts, but personally, I think people are likely panicking over nothing. I don't have a huge stake in the renewals as I am not a MK holder, but I can't imagine them cutting off people who want to renew. There will be many who want to, and there will be some who don't for various reasons. I would truly be shocked if they tell current keyholders that they are just out of passes, oopsie.
I agree - I think most of the FOMO here is self-inflicted.

I think the case where a Key would be "unavailable" would be if they decided to entirely stop selling one - ie, if they decided to stop selling the Imagine Key full stop, and let the folks who have them burn them out. I can't imagine that they would mark a Key as "sold out" and not let people renew into it. Mathematically, there would a certain number of existing Keys expiring every day, so even if there's a hard number cap, there would still be some room coming available every day.

For all the hand-wringing - it seems like the smartest play here is just assume everything will go fine, and then panic if/when we see that something is going wrong.

On the off-chance they updated the template after you pulled them, they're in the form:

queue.disneyparks.disney.go.com/?c=disneyparks&e=dlrpassesrenew0818&cid=en-US&q=<queueid>
Omg they did change it...

It's very similar, but a couple differences I can see right away.

Well. I guess I'm diving back in 😂

Just walked back to the villas from Disneyland past the ticket booths and it was packed over there. They only had one side open and a few windows. Looked like slow going. I'm proud of myself as I didn't experience even a pang of FOMO, LOL. Our Enchant keys are eligible, but we aren't planning to renew.

So is this something that goes 3-D-ish if you look at it through your phone or something? I don't really get what augmented reality is.
Yep, exactly. AR basically takes any object that it recognizes, and overlays something on top of it - then moves the overlay around to match how the original object is moving.

A Snapchat filter is a good example - Snapchat recognizes that a human face is there, overlays the filter image on top of it, then moves and alters the filter image to match whatever the face is doing. But it can be anything that the app is designed to recognize.

In this case - if you hold certain WDW AP magnets in front of your phone's camera with the app active, it animates the image on the magnet.

Here's an example from YouTube:

So mad. I was in the queue since 9:00. When my turn came up, it said I’d be redirected to the site to renew my MK. I wasn’t. Nothing happened for nearly a minute. Then the app opened and it took me to the Welcome page…where nothing happened. Then I was told my queue had expired and I’d have to start over. I hate Disney IT.

I called the MK number and got a recorded message to call back later; that they were unusually busy. The message repeated and then the line went dead.

Being a member of Disney’s unfavorable mix class is like sailing steerage on the Titanic.
Did you get this resolved? Are you whole, so to speak?

Has anyone successfully upgraded their pass? We have enchant and I want one of the better passes…. We don’t renew until January so who knows what it’ll be like then. Just curious if anyone has been able to upgrade.

I agree - I think most of the FOMO here is self-inflicted.

I think the case where a Key would be "unavailable" would be if they decided to entirely stop selling one - ie, if they decided to stop selling the Imagine Key full stop, and let the folks who have them burn them out. I can't imagine that they would mark a Key as "sold out" and not let people renew into it. Mathematically, there would a certain number of existing Keys expiring every day, so even if there's a hard number cap, there would still be some room coming available every day.

For all the hand-wringing - it seems like the smartest play here is just assume everything will go fine, and then panic if/when we see that something is going wrong.
But you are assuming that Disney is ok with keeping the total numbers of any MK stagnant. If they feel that a certain MK is not as profitable as they would like, they very well could just stop renewals and new sales. This past year proves that they may pull the availability of a MK at any time. Those that already had MKs may have been ok, but those that bought 5 day tickets for a trip, after which they have planned to upgrade to a MK which suddenly (was there any notice?) wasn’t available will probably tell you that they no longer blindly trust Disney to keep things available. Buyer beware here.

Did you get this resolved? Are you whole, so to speak?
Thanks for asking. Not yet. I’ve got 15 minutes left in the queue on my phone (I’ve deleted the app so the process doesn’t send me down that dead end again) and 30 mins on my laptop (just in case).

Incidentally, I was just on the phone with Disney and they told me that they recommend Google Chrome over all other browsers. Wish I’d known that earlier :-).

Thanks for asking. Not yet. I’ve got 15 minutes left in the queue on my phone (I’ve deleted the app so the process doesn’t send me down that dead end again) and 30 mins on my laptop (just in case).

Incidentally, I was just on the phone with Disney and they told me that they recommend Google Chrome over all other browsers. Wish I’d known that earlier :-).
Rob (@WonkaKid), if YOU don’t get to renew your MK, something has gone gravely wrong with the entire system!!! :love::love: I mean this very seriously.

But you are assuming that Disney is ok with keeping the total numbers of any MK stagnant. If they feel that a certain MK is not as profitable as they would like, they very well could just stop renewals and new sales. This past year proves that they may pull the availability of a MK at any time. Those that already had MKs may have been ok, but those that bought 5 day tickets for a trip, after which they have planned to upgrade to a MK which suddenly (was there any notice?) wasn’t available will probably tell you that they no longer blindly trust Disney to keep things available. Buyer beware here.
Honestly, it's the pessimism that grinds me a bit. I'm not a fan of blind hypothesizing of the worst-case scenario. We're literally in day one of renewals - they wouldn't be going to this much trouble to let people renew if they were just going to stop offering renewals on Friday.

Could it happen? I mean, sure - anything's possible. But I don't think what you're describing is likely at all.

All of the MK pulls in the last year happened for specific reasons. The Dream Key and Believe Key went away because the holiday season was already sold out, which rendered it pointless to continue selling. Plus, capacity was low enough back then that they didn't need more of them. (Also, in the case of the Dream Key, possibly the lawsuit.) Enchant and Imagine got pulled in May because they were blocked out for the summer and they didn't want people to upgrade from tickets as a backdoor around the blockouts. (I understand if people were planning on doing that, but that would be a tremendous discount for a pass that wasn't valid at the time the person was actually in the park - I can't really blame Disney for finally closing that loophole.)

In reality, the "unfavorable attendance mix" was not an attack on APs - it was actually an admission that they have to have APs - they can't fill the parks with ticket buyers alone. (That's why you keep seeing more AP availability the night before a park day - they're releasing some of the space that they were holding for last-minute ticket buyers.) With the lower-tier Keys in particular, they're selling otherwise-unfilled space at a discount - because they have to. That's the whole reason they rushed the MK program out there last year - they weren't selling enough tickets.

And, right now, capacity is higher than it was when they started selling MKs last year. There's almost certainly room for more of them than there are now - and they really can't afford to lose the ones they already have. Statistically speaking, a lot of people are not going to renew - they're going to eventually need to bring in new MK holders.

We've spent weeks with the board predicting doom and gloom - I think a lot of folks were expecting them to cancel the MK program entirely. But here we are, renewals in hand. It makes sense to have at least some sense of optimism at the moment.

What's happening now is a pretty solidly good situation for most folks - no reason to imagine the worst until something bad actually happens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter