• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic bands

The last trip we received new bands with our package was 2018 but we've used bands that we have from trips in 2016 too. We do not have any MBs newer than 2018. We've never had any issues tapping in for rides for G+/iLL$ or for extended evening hours when CMs verify your deluxe resort stay.

However, the photo pass linking is spotty so I guess that's the long range RFID not working on some of them. We've found that some of the photos never make it to my app but others do.
Thanks for sharing. That helps.

Signs at the end of Small World, the Concert Posters at the entrance to RnR, the signs as you go through the end of the queue at EE
Thanks!

How old are your bands? Do you find they work fine for checking into rides (with or without Lightning Lane bookings)? We have ones from 2014. I'm thinking magic bands will be very useful for our kids so they just have to swipe their wrist and don't need to carry or pull out their phones/card. So not sure if we need new ones or not. We don't have photo package.

We've been using bands as old as 2018 (Yacht Club trip for my sons 2nd bday!)
All the bands we have are from resort stays & work great so far.

Perhaps will invest in one when new technology is available.

We've been using bands as old as 2018 (Yacht Club trip for my sons 2nd bday!)
All the bands we have are from resort stays & work great so far.

Perhaps will invest in one when new technology is available.
Sounds like I should just bring our current ones. Try them on our first day....and then if any issues pick up new ones at our resort. Saves a bit if we purchase online now but they may not be needed (and as poster said above, the basic cheap colour ones are now gone)

Sounds like I should just bring our current ones. Try them on our first day....and then if any issues pick up new ones at our resort. Saves a bit if we purchase online now but they may not be needed (and as poster said above, the basic cheap colour ones are now gone)

Definitely!
You can check if bands are linked in the My Disney Experience App via My Account/Profile - Magic Bands & Cards.
Serial #'s on back of each band.

Wait wait wait… so they spent all that time introducing the magic band years ago and now are basically going back to a key to the world card for everyone unless they buy a magic band or use an old one????

Wait wait wait… so they spent all that time introducing the magic band years ago and now are basically going back to a key to the world card for everyone unless they buy a magic band or use an old one????
We were there early June and there was very little availability. Like only 5 or 6 options at resort and at Pin Traders at Disney Springs. Seemed like different stores at parks had a few random choices but not nearly the wall filled with options pre Covid. CMs said still having supply chain problems.

From our experience, that seems correct. Unfortunately, our experience was also that the card was more reliable than my old MB. The card always worked on the first try, while my MB had to be rescanned multiple times on three or four occasions.

Just thought I would report back as I was questioning myself about the old bands.
We have bands from our last trip from 2014 and decided to try these out instead of purchasing new ones. We had zero issues in the park....worked for our room, lighting lanes linked fine and even though we were warned about photos, we were able to link them (most had a spot for you to link your band when you found your picture at the ride exit - but it also automatically linked on things like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Light , Frozen and even the video on 7DMT). The only place we had an issue at was Disney Springs but they are apparently 3rd party so aren't connected the same. We did pick up the cards just in case (so maybe this is what did the auto-link?) but just reporting back in case anyone else is questioning.

Also, the resorts and stores did sell the new Magic bands...so no issue purchasing on site.

Just thought I would report back as I was questioning myself about the old bands.
We have bands from our last trip from 2014 and decided to try these out instead of purchasing new ones. We had zero issues in the park....worked for our room, lighting lanes linked fine and even though we were warned about photos, we were able to link them (most had a spot for you to link your band when you found your picture at the ride exit - but it also automatically linked on things like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Buzz Light , Frozen and even the video on 7DMT). The only place we had an issue at was Disney Springs but they are apparently 3rd party so aren't connected the same. We did pick up the cards just in case (so maybe this is what did the auto-link?) but just reporting back in case anyone else is questioning.

Also, the resorts and stores did sell the new Magic bands...so no issue purchasing on site.
Good to know your 2014 MBs worked fine!

AFAIAA, the ticket cards wouldn’t pick up long distance ride photos, but if you had your MDE app on your phone linked to Bluetooth, that would.

Good to know your 2014 MBs worked fine!

AFAIAA, the ticket cards wouldn’t pick up long distance ride photos, but if you had your MDE app on your phone linked to Bluetooth, that would.
Ah ok...so it could have been the MDE app that picked up the photos.
Good to know. Guess then the combo of the old bands and the app picked up all the functions.

Ah ok...so it could have been the MDE app that picked up the photos.
Good to know. Guess then the combo of the old bands and the app picked up all the functions.
Yes, and it’s great to know that when others ask about using very old MBs! Thanks for reporting back!

What is everyone doing for magic bands? On the app their is very little selection and like 3 solid color options. I have old ones to use but people going with us don’t. Are people just buying down there? Or can u get solid colors at hotel desk?
Im staying on property so prebuy is cheaper. I ordered old style plain color. the + just doesnt interest me.

Wait, so do you NEED a magicband? Im a DLR vet and Im accustomed to just using phones to scan in for LL and park entry. Does WDW not do that at all? So a magic band is the best way? Or is it a preference thing? Thanks!

Wait, so do you NEED a magicband? Im a DLR vet and Im accustomed to just using phones to scan in for LL and park entry. Does WDW not do that at all? So a magic band is the best way? Or is it a preference thing? Thanks!
A preference. You can use the app or a card. The band is just handy and easy. It can go right in the pool with you as well. I dont like the plastic on my wrist but enjoying the pool and sauna with my room key and credit card on my wrist is hard to beat.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter