Magic Band "NEW KIND" -Update: Post #70-

Quick question - we stay offsite and have a trip planned for this summer. Any idea when the new solid color bands will be available? We have one of the old bands that we used to make it easier to obtain ride photos for MM.

Thanks!

Well, that's annoying. Kinda defeats the purpose of Magic Bands being useful, since DH would have to be with me everywhere I go. I would think that with as conscious of allergies as Disney usually is, that they might take action to provide an alternate wearable solution for people who cannot have the metal screws touch their skin, without the people being forced to either have their companion with them at all times or pay additional money out of their pocket for accessories.

Honestly, this whole thing is making me want to cancel my trip.

You are assigning a whole lot of importance to MBs that just isn't reality.

So, I shouldn't have the right to the same convenience as you

Bands are no more convenient than cards. Twisting my wrist to get the door open or to touch the right spot to the card reader...downright INconvenient.

Charging to the room is done to card or band and is not that big a deal.

One of the giant pluses to me about Disney was the convenience of not having to carry a separate card.

That might have been the marketing for about half an hour in 2013, but the reality is that a prudent person will take:

ID for discounts, in case you want want a drink, in case you end up at the ER.

Credit card because Mb pay systems do fail sometimes.

Cash just in case.

The card for anything that might get you a discount like ap or dvc (though it sounds like this is your first trip so those are unlikely).

Insurance card in case you fall and break something etc and you end up in the ER. By law they are supposed to treat you but in reality you will be hassled by the paperwork people until you prove you have insurance and that you are you.

You NEED to bring more than the band. I'm sorry that their marketing was that successful with you but facts are facts. To go without those items is folly.

Plus all the other conveniences for onsite stays.

What conveniences does it provide you?

When I saw these new bands my first thought was of my four year old, who will have to actually wear hers for the first time

No one ever has to wear a mb. There's no need to convince her. Put it around a belt loop. Put in a pocket. Put it around a purse strap. Or get her a card instead.

I cannot stand these plastic toddler bangles and find no convenience in them, and even from the beginning I rarely wore them. In a purse or backpack or on a strap.

We have magic bands from 2015 and might go back this year. Do you think we will need new magic bands or will we be able to re-use ours? Thanks!

We have magic bands from 2015 and might go back this year. Do you think we will need new magic bands or will we be able to re-use ours? Thanks!

You do not need new bands, as long as the battery still works in your current versions. I have not heard how Disney will replace bands that stop working, or how long the battery will stay charged. My version 1 bands still worked 5 months ago.

Magic bands are fun and convenient for some, and not so much for others. I love my MB, plain red, old style. I lust after all kinds of designed ones but can't quite part with the $.

Do I 100% love wearing it. Heck NO! It's weird-shaped for my wrist, and my arm gets sweaty and mildly irritated underneath the band. I take it off almost every time I wash my hands to wash and dry that area as well. Occasionally, I tuck it in my bag or pocket and don't feel inconvenienced by having to take it out for a scan here and there. But I love it because it has that dear-to-my-heart mouse head icon and many happy memories attached. Best $12 souvenir ever, for me.

DH doesn't want anything to do with them... because of that $12 charge for us off-siters. He's happy to dig out his card.

You do not need new bands, as long as the battery still works in your current versions. I have not heard how Disney will replace bands that stop working, or how long the battery will stay charged. My version 1 bands still worked 5 months ago.
Thank you!

No one ever has to wear a mb. There's no need to convince her. Put it around a belt loop. Put in a pocket. Put it around a purse strap. Or get her a card instead.

I cannot stand these plastic toddler bangles and find no convenience in them, and even from the beginning I rarely wore them. In a purse or backpack or on a strap.
Same!

A MagicBand will continue to work long after the battery has died. Only a very limited number of functions require the battery and those include automatic linking of attraction photos/videos, interactive queue elements & any tracking Disney may do. Functions like park entry, room entry, FP+ entry, touch to pay, etc. don't use or need the battery to work.

I'm glad I opened this post. I have a pretty severe metal allergy and would have never thought to check the back of our magic bands and we leave in just over a week!! I'll have to try the nail polish trick and see if it works before we go. If not I'll probably end up splurging on an old band.

If you KNOW that you aren't going to want to remove the "puck" from the band, I would imagine a little bit of clear epoxy would do a fantastic job of covering up the screw for those who have allergies. I will have to do something for certain with mine, and the same for my daughter.

but the reality is that a prudent person will take:
ID for discounts, in case you want want a drink, in case you end up at the ER.
Credit card because Mb pay systems do fail sometimes.
Cash just in case.

I dont carry any of these on me, in fact I don't even think I ever packed my insurance card - like ever. But thank you for this! I'll probably forget, but for now it's a pretty good idea! :idea:

I received my 2.0 MagicBand in the mail yesterday. My initial thought is that I'd just assume wear the 1.0 or 1.5 (slightly thinner) bands if I'm wearing them on my wrist. 2.0 is obviously wider to hold the puck and shape wise it takes up about the same area that a watch would occupy (and I do wear a watch). However, I think I'll be happy with 2.0 since I'll get the carabiner and attach it to my keys. More often than not, I'm coming in from offsite, so I'll have a car and keys anyway.

@Shayana I am 100% with you that a card or other option is not even close to as convenient as a MB. I would try what a PP suggested and cover with moleskin. It really does stay put for a long time, even when it gets wet. Only problem I can imagine is it you are allergic to the adhesive they use.

As annoying as this feels at this point, I'd never consider cancelling a trip because of it - or anything close to that. If it were me, and this was that big a consideration, I'd bite the bullet and buy one of the old ones. Compared to the cost of a Disney trip, it isn't even rounding error.

@Shayana I am 100% with you that a card or other option is not even close to as convenient as a MB. I would try what a PP suggested and cover with moleskin. It really does stay put for a long time, even when it gets wet. Only problem I can imagine is it you are allergic to the adhesive they use.

As annoying as this feels at this point, I'd never consider cancelling a trip because of it - or anything close to that. If it were me, and this was that big a consideration, I'd bite the bullet and buy one of the old ones. Compared to the cost of a Disney trip, it isn't even rounding error.

I ended up spending the money to buy an old style. I tried covering the new style with moleskin but when it rubs against the skin it peels up from the friction and the texture of the peeled up moleskin really bothered me plus I couldn't guarantee that it would keep the screws covered since it was peeling. I tried nail polish but it wore through too quickly. I tried putting glue over the screws but it too peeled off due to friction.

Disney even admitted to me that a card is not a valid substitute, especially for ride photos, etc. And the 2.0 style did make me break out after an hour of wearing it.

I enjoy the convenience of wearing the band. While my husband did carry alternate methods of payment, etc, when I didn't have an available pocket or bag, we primarily used our bands. If I had not been able to buy an older style I wouldn't have enjoyed the trip as much... The inconvenience of having to have my husband carry the card for me when I didn't have pockets and what I would have done on rides since he doesn't usually go on them would been frustrating.

The magic keepers came out the day we came home, but they're metal too so I don't know what I would have done with them.

Hubby & I want to go to Disney more often however unless they come up with an solution to the screws on the magicband I won't be able to go, not without dealing with a lot of headaches and hassles. The batteries on the old magicbands are only supposed to be good for a couple of years and then they are good for touch points only, not for long range, so eventually I'll have to find another substitute.

If you KNOW that you aren't going to want to remove the "puck" from the band, I would imagine a little bit of clear epoxy would do a fantastic job of covering up the screw for those who have allergies. I will have to do something for certain with mine, and the same for my daughter.

Didn't work. Too thick and it peeled off. Too thin and the acidity of my skin wears through it too quickly. It might work for some people but not for everyone and not for me.

A MagicBand will continue to work long after the battery has died. Only a very limited number of functions require the battery and those include automatic linking of attraction photos/videos, interactive queue elements & any tracking Disney may do. Functions like park entry, room entry, FP+ entry, touch to pay, etc. don't use or need the battery to work.

Yes, but I use the long range functions, since I want the ride photos and videos, queue elements, and the tracking was very useful at BOG.

FYI: I see some of the MagicKeepers (carabiners, etc.) are showing up in the ShopDisney app now. Not willing to pay $7 shipping on a $10 item, so I can wait until I get there...

I keep seeing where people receive the MB 2.0, but the graphics in my MDE account for customizing our MBs show only the older MBs. Do others see the old MBs in MDE and still receive the MB 2.0? (I know, who cares; but it makes a difference which colors I "customize" for the family. Just humor the part of me that is not yet a recovering psycho-planner and answer if you know.) TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter