Magic Band "NEW KIND" -Update: Post #70-

If it is a problem, you can request a key card.
My husband would have to carry the card. A lot of the clothing I planned to wear doesn't have pockets... Or not deep enough to carry a card. Women's clothing is traditionally bad at having pockets, unless you wear jeans. And even some, the pockets are small unless you use the back pocket. I wear leggings and dresses a lot and looked forward to not having to carry a key/card.

I emailed Disney and the person who replied didn't even know about the new MagicBands so I didn't know what's going to happen.

Honestly, the ease of MagicBands and not having to worry about metal allergies (I can't even carry coins in my hands for more then a few minutes without an allergic reaction) was a big positive when we were deciding to come to Disney in the first place, so I really hope they come up with something for their guests with metal allergies without the guests having to shell out extra money.

That's too bad. I hope you don't have any trouble with the new bands!
It's been confirmed from the magicbandcollectors.com site that the screws DO touch the skin, so I won't be able to wear the new MagicBands unless the screws are made out of silver... And somehow I don't think that's going to happen! Even stainless steel, which is what most watch/glasses screws are made of, have enough nickle to cause a painful reaction in a pretty short time.

I have two months to figure out what I'm going to do. Since this is my first trip to Disney, this whole thing is kinda bumming me out.

the answer is probably somewhere in this post but can I still use my old magic bands when these new one's become available?

My mom has nickel allergies and she buys clear silicone adhesive pads that are meant to go in shoes and cuts them to fit the back of her watch. Maybe something like that or some other type of sticker on the back to cover the screws?

It's been confirmed from the magicbandcollectors.com site that the screws DO touch the skin, so I won't be able to wear the new MagicBands unless the screws are made out of silver... And somehow I don't think that's going to happen! Even stainless steel, which is what most watch/glasses screws are made of, have enough nickle to cause a painful reaction in a pretty short time.

I have two months to figure out what I'm going to do. Since this is my first trip to Disney, this whole thing is kinda bumming me out.

I'm so sorry! I was trying to think of some sort of sticker to put over the screws, but that might fall off. Maybe Washi tape? You could take an extra roll and replace it if necessary.

My husband would have to carry the card. A lot of the clothing I planned to wear doesn't have pockets... Or not deep enough to carry a card. Women's clothing is traditionally bad at having pockets, unless you wear jeans. And even some, the pockets are small unless you use the back pocket. I wear leggings and dresses a lot and looked forward to not having to carry a key/card.

I emailed Disney and the person who replied didn't even know about the new MagicBands so I didn't know what's going to happen.

Honestly, the ease of MagicBands and not having to worry about metal allergies (I can't even carry coins in my hands for more then a few minutes without an allergic reaction) was a big positive when we were deciding to come to Disney in the first place, so I really hope they come up with something for their guests with metal allergies without the guests having to shell out extra money.
There are many options. Like a lanyard. Or carrying a small purse or wallet. Something that goes across the body. And of course having your husband carry the card or wearing your magic band.

Those of us with allergies/diseases are continually looking for items or food that will trigger a reaction. Staying away from them is hard. But I am sure you will figure something out.

This is actually good timing for us with a toddler who insists on fiddling with bracelets taking them on and off but who would wear a lanyard "necklace" with no issue. I hate wearing things on my wrists too and would totally prefer to clip one to a lanyard or bag.

That's a good point. When I saw these new bands my first thought was of my four year old, who will have to actually wear hers for the first time. Last time we went, she was just under three so even though she got a band, she didn't HAVE to have it on and usually ditched it within an hour or so. So I was sitting here trying to figure out how I was going to convince her to keep this much larger band on for the whole day and I guess something like a lanyard could be the answer.

Of course, there's yet another small thing for us to buy. Yay.

Right now, the original style is still available for purchase on DisneyStore.com and through the Shop Parks app. The solid colored ones are about $12. Ones with designs start at about $22. You could always purchase one of the original styles now, while they are still available. The original style will continue to work fine, even after the new ones come out.

Just put a piece of tape over it.

Women's clothing is traditionally bad at having pockets, unless you wear jeans.

OT, but check out Sparkle Skirts (sparkleskirts.com) I wear them almost exclusively when park touring now, the pockets are awesome.

My mom has nickel allergies and she buys clear silicone adhesive pads that are meant to go in shoes and cuts them to fit the back of her watch. Maybe something like that or some other type of sticker on the back to cover the screws?

That's a great idea! Since those are designed not to roll, those might work better than the tape/medical tape/band-aids I've used in the past. If they send me a new set I'll certainly try this out. Thanks!

Right now, the original style is still available for purchase on DisneyStore.com and through the Shop Parks app. The solid colored ones are about $12. Ones with designs start at about $22. You could always purchase one of the original styles now, while they are still available. The original style will continue to work fine, even after the new ones come out.
I guess my biggest annoyance with all of this is that I will be forced to buy something and spend additional money that I would prefer to spend on something else, when the regular (old style now) MagicBands would have worked perfectly for me.

I guess my biggest annoyance with all of this is that I will be forced to buy something and spend additional money that I would prefer to spend on something else, when the regular (old style now) MagicBands would have worked perfectly for me.
You're not forced to buy anything else to use the new MB's. And your old MBs will continue to work for you too.

You're not forced to buy anything else to use the new MB's. And your old MBs will continue to work for you too.
You must have missed the discussions about my metal allergy. I can't wear the new magicbands because of the screws. So I would be forced to buy something to either change it into a lanyard, keychain, etc. or to buy something to try to cover the screws.

So yes, I will be forced to buy something in order to use the new MagicBands due to my metal allergy and the fact that the new MagicBands have two screws that ARE in contact with skin.

Also, I don't have any old MagicBands, since this will be my first trip to Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter