Madonna sued for late concert times

mousefan73

Germans are faster at dubbing
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/09/entertainment/madonna-lawsuit-late-start-trnd/index.html
Now this is interesting.. A good friend actually got a refund for one of the Chicago shows last month as the times got changed. He is a super fan but was getting so annoyed at her demands... No cell phones, you need to check them in and that in the fan forums people were posting she was hours late for her shows... I mean as a middleaged person, not knowing if you are getting home on a work night at 11pm or 2am does make a difference. We are not all teens anymore who can sleep in and dont have jobs and kids.

if legally this guy has ground will be interesting to see. Back in the day entitled rock stars were always late, infamous GnR starting hours late... I assume in the rare cases, there are operational reasons but I would think in most cases is the entitled Stars make things late as concerts are run by promoters that are professional and want to be on time.

She seems a bit too diva for me now..

Eh, good luck with that lawsuit. There is most likely a disclaimer in the legalese about time and date being subject to change.

DW and I saw Madonna back in 2005 or 06. The concert had a start time of 8 pm with an opening act, so we didn't expect her to take the stage until 9 pm. She didn't appear until about 1015 pm and the fans were getting restless. I heard that during that tour sometimes she didn't come on stage until well after 11 pm

This was in the summer and it was uncomfortably warm inside the arena. I heard that she doesn't want the air conditioning set to a reasonable level because she claims it affects her voice.

The concert started out pretty great, but then after a half hour she started into that Kabbalah stuff she was currently espousing. Those songs absolutely sucked and received practically no response from the audience.

DW wasn't feeling well because of the lack of AC, so we walked out after about an hour. Never again.

Well, she still sells out concerts at exorbitant ticket prices so there are plenty of people willing to put up with her nonsense.

Speaking of someone who may or may not still be relevant, DW persuaded me to buy tickets to see Cher in December. That's her Christmas present. Fairly good seats for $115 each. I could have sprung for a Platinum VIP package for $2500 each, whatever that includes.

As a big Madonna fan, I figured i'd give my opinion on this. Madonna, at least for me, didn't start her shows excessively late until 2012's "MDNA" tour. I remember sitting in the arena wondering if the show may be cancelled somewhat worrying about what was going on when 10:00pm hit and she wasn't on yet. This was the first US show on the tour and I hadn't heard about late starts from her at this point. Madonna eventually took the stage at 10:30pm and apologized for being late and blamed it on technical difficulties...only to be late every night following that particular show. I saw her twice on this tour so the 2nd time I was prepared - the 2nd night was also a Saturday night so no big deal for me.

I then knew when I bought tickets for 2 of her "Rebel Heart" shows in 2015 that she would no doubt be "Late" again - and she was, both times. 10:45 start times. Obviously at this point I expect it. I'm going to see her next month on her Madame X tour which is a theatre show and while I thought maybe she'd be somewhat consistent since it's a different atmosphere, no, she's pulling the same thing. I honestly don't get it. I don't like it, I think it's downright ridiculous and has tarnished her touring career. It's not professional and it shows a lack of respect for the audience. On the other hand, I think she's a fantastic performer, I like her music (old and new) and think she puts on some of the best concerts so I guess that's why I continue to go whether I like the late starts or not.

I'm not sure why she is being sued though - i'm sure a refund can be had since the time on the ticket has now been officially changed to 10:30pm - I already received notice about my show next month weeks ago.

I NEVER expect a concert to start at the time on the ticket - the only time that has happened was at the two Guns N' Roses shows I went to on their recent tour and that's because they played for close to 4 hours each time. Anything over an hour and half after the ticket time is excessive though.

Well, she still sells out concerts at exorbitant ticket prices so there are plenty of people willing to put up with her nonsense.

Speaking of someone who may or may not still be relevant, DW persuaded me to buy tickets to see Cher in December. That's her Christmas present. Fairly good seats for $115 each. I could have sprung for a Platinum VIP package for $2500 each, whatever that includes.

Madonna does still sell out her shows - I believe her Sticky & Sweet tour in 2008 is the highest grossing female artist tour of all time. I don't believe even she has broken that record since but I could be wrong.

Cher, on the other hand, is also a great performer - expect lots of costumes, lots of talking and her seats are pretty fairly priced. I've seen her "Dressed to Kill" tour and "Classic Cher" tour - pretty similar set-list and show each time but worth seeing. Enjoy!

Cher will ALWAYS be relevant!!

I saw her in Atlantic City on the second of three go rounds of her “farewell” tour @ 2004.

She was fabulous!

So what I'll be seeing is Cher's 8th "Farewell Tour?" ;)

DW never expressed an interest in seeing Cher before. We were at a Flyers hockey game last week and there were occasional announcements on the message board about her upcoming concert. DW said this might be the last chance to see her perform, so I bought tickets the next day for early December. Apparently this is a second show that was added because the first show (in April 2020) sold out. It appears there are still several hundred of 12,000+ seats available.

As long as she sings Half Breed I'll be happy.

Beyonce also started late at her concert at the Meadowlands, NJ. The start time was supposed to be 8pm. But, I noticed the majority of fans didn't even start filling in till 9:15. She started around 9:38, just as it was really getting dark. I wasn't sure if that's what she was waiting for or what? :confused3 She & Jay-Z supposedly have a house nearby, so it wasn't like she flew in late.

I asked a lot of people afterward if she's late starting her shows all the time. Some said yes. Some said she wanted to start after dark. (So why didn't they schedule the show for that.) Others said it was the weather. It was an outdoor arena. And people were waiting to see if it was going to rain and the concert got cancelled. Once they got the "All clear" signal, they knew to arrive. No one told us that when we arrived. :sad:

I was at a big Beauty Convention several months ago, where Cardi B was also 2+ hours late. She was THE main presenter there. Apparently the event coordinators & CEO of Beauty Con didn't even know if she was even going to arrive at all, not just be late. I had seen some of her fans lining up at some booth around 3:30 where she'd come over to that booth to have selfie pics taken with each fan or sign autographs, once she did her presentation in the main hall. They would miss her presentation, just to stay in line.

She finally arrives at 5:15-ish. The CEO announced her. She apologized saying she was late because she had been over-scheduled. She had recently had her baby, was doing a ton of other stuff, and she didn't properly schedule in enough travel time to do it all, let alone get any sleep on the way over.

I thought that was such a lame excuse. :rolleyes: She has a personal assistant and manager who schedules all her stuff. She doesn't do it herself. So they both would have seen the travel time would have been way off. But, her young sheeple fans bought it, saying how exhausted & sleep deprived she must be. 🐑 Way to go to be a mentor, Cardi B. :rolleyes: What about all the non-famous moms who do not have personal assistants to help with stuff and still make it to things on time? :sad2:

Anyway, Beauty Con ended at 5:30. So she spoke for 15 minutes, then left. She never went over to that booth, where all her fans were waiting to meet her and get selfies. Since they had been standing in a different room, they missed her COMPLETELY. I was walking by, leaving, as I saw security try to move the girls out of the convention hall as the Con was over.

Fairly good seats for $115 each. I could have sprung for a Platinum VIP package for $2500 each, whatever that includes.

$115 is CHEAP for reasonable tickets!

I tried to get tickets for Celine Dion a few weeks ago. I was on the site the day tickets went on sale. For close to nosebleed tickets, it was $375. The tickets I wanted, which were decent, but non-nosebleed, they were $595. And these were NOT resale tickets. The VIP packages were also around $2500 each. I really, really want to see Celine in person, but not $595 worth. :headache:

The new Queen tour was the same way. I hadn't been interested in seeing Queen, especially with Adam Levine as their frontman, as I hadn't seen the movie yet, and gotten hooked on their music yet. By the time I was interested, there was only resale tickets left, going for $600+. :badpc: Nope, not doing that one either, especially to pad someone else's pocket.

I'm going to see her next month on her Madame X tour which is a theatre show . . . [. . .]

On the other hand, I think she's a fantastic performer, I like her music (old and new) and think she puts on some of the best concerts

I got to see her perform at the LGBTQ World Pride Festival a couple months ago. She did Vogue, and a new song off her Madame X tour. She IS a fantastic performer, for the two songs I saw. :faint:

Last edited:
$115 is CHEAP for reasonable tickets!

I tried to get tickets for Celine Dion a few weeks ago. I was on the site the day tickets went on sale. For close to nosebleed tickets, it was $375. The tickets I wanted, which were decent, but non-nosebleed, they were $595. And these were NOT resale tickets. The VIP packages were also around $2500 each. I really, really want to see Celine in person, but not $595 worth. :headache:

The new Queen tour was the same way. I hadn't been interested in seeing Queen, especially with Adam Levine as their frontman, as I hadn't seen the movie yet, and gotten hooked on their music yet. By the time I was interested, there was only resale tickets left, going for $600+. :badpc: Nope, not doing that one either, especially to pad someone else's pocket.

I was actually surprised how reasonable some of the Cher tickets were. They're in the second level of the arena, 6th row of about 16. The cheapest nosebleed seats were $67.50. (All prices before fees.) There were still some in the lower level in the $200 to $300 range, plus various VIP packages starting about $500.

The $115 seats will be fine. It's not like it's a lifelong dream to see her, and I'm sure there will be video screens to see closeups.

About a year ago there was a thread about the Bohemian Rhapsody film. I found and posted an old ticket stub to a Queen concert from 1978. $8.50 for a lower level seat.

I'm not a big Madonna fan but it seems like she's a bit of a diva. When I attend a concert I realize that it usually won't start at the listed time but I would expect a reasonable start time, not two of more hours after the listed one.

I don't think I've ever been to a concert that starts exactly on time but after about 45 minutes, I'm getting antsy. If it goes much longer than that, I would be annoyed. If I ever went to a show that started 2+ hours late, I'd be losing my mind...at home bc I wouldn't enjoy the show at that point.

I am sure there is something about the dates and times are subject to change so this guy probably won't get anywhere but at least he's sending a message that it's unreasonable and disrespectful to paying fans to get jerked around like this.

I can understand a few minutes late. I can't recall a time a headline concert started right on the dot. However, waiting over 30-35 minutes with no announcement is bull. More than 45 borders on just being rude and inconsiderate to your fans. And this becoming a standard? Your fans are what put you on that stage, and your lack of consideration for them is grotesque. I don't care who you are, you are a human being that is no better than anyone else. Get.Over.Yourself!!

And BTW, I saw both Madonna (1993) and Cher (2016). Loved both concerts. Both ladies can put on a spectacular show. But if I could only chose to see one again, Cher for the win.

So what I'll be seeing is Cher's 8th "Farewell Tour?" ;)

DW never expressed an interest in seeing Cher before. We were at a Flyers hockey game last week and there were occasional announcements on the message board about her upcoming concert. DW said this might be the last chance to see her perform, so I bought tickets the next day for early December. Apparently this is a second show that was added because the first show (in April 2020) sold out. It appears there are still several hundred of 12,000+ seats available.

As long as she sings Half Breed I'll be happy.

Is Cher appearing at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly in December? Maybe I should go too. Never saw her before.

I saw Madonna twice, in 1990 (Blonde Ambition) and 1993 (Girlie Show). As far as I remember, both shows started "on time," about 30 to 45 minutes after the opening act was finished. But then I lost interest in her music by the mid 1990's.

I'd be pissed too if the artist appeared hours late. Especially since you need to check your cell phones. How does that work? It must be a hassle with 10,000+ fans trying to reclaim them after the show.

Seems like a ridiculous thing to sue about. Next will they claim tickets are too expensive? LOL. It gets to be a game with people showing up later knowing the main act won't start right at the beginning. Then the performer starts later since they don't want anyone else arriving once they take the stage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter