Mac and cheese picky eater question

GenGen22

DIS Veteran
My niece that's going to DL with us is a very picky eater. She's 12 and usually eats kids meals everywhere because she's so picky. She will only eat Kraft Macaroni and cheese. She will even ask the waiter/waitress if it's kraft before ordering it. First off will they allow us to order a kids meal even if we pay a higher price for her? And second does DL have kraft Mac and cheese and if yes where at?

We will have to order something else. She won't eat any other kind unfortunately as she doesnt like it.
I get it. I have a daughter that is similar (she is 28 and is Aspie.) Would she even try it? Perhaps the server could bring a small sample to try first (especially if she has never had Stouffers.) We ended up making a rule when my daughter was about 16 that she had to find SOMETHING on the menu she would eat. She learned she could deal with Caesar Salads, and she learned she did like Stouffer's (now she likes it better than Kraft.) Eating out is so much easier now. My granddaughter (7yo) is starting down the same path, and we have started she MUST try something new each time she is with me. Sometimes that is simply sampling an ice cream she hasn't had before (before she can have her standard "Birthday Cake" flavored ice cream.)

Most counter service also have chicken nuggets if that is a possibility for her. Or maybe mom could pack something for her.

Does she like corn dogs?

I “get” having a picky eater, as it’s often sensory stuff. My oldest would only eat a certain brand of spaghetti sauce or certain brand of chicken nuggets. Whenever we went places, I just brought snacks that I knew he would eat. Now, at 20, he’s our most adventurous eater. :-)

Does she like corn dogs?

I “get” having a picky eater, as it’s often sensory stuff. My oldest would only eat a certain brand of spaghetti sauce or certain brand of chicken nuggets. Whenever we went places, I just brought snacks that I knew he would eat. Now, at 20, he’s our most adventurous eater. :-)
I don't know but I will ask her mom if she eats corn dogs. She's even picky with what brand of apple slices she eats. We can't wait until she grows out of this. Her brother was like this as well and he eats all kinds of stuff now.:o

I get it. I have a daughter that is similar (she is 28 and is Aspie.) Would she even try it? Perhaps the server could bring a small sample to try first (especially if she has never had Stouffers.) We ended up making a rule when my daughter was about 16 that she had to find SOMETHING on the menu she would eat. She learned she could deal with Caesar Salads, and she learned she did like Stouffer's (now she likes it better than Kraft.) Eating out is so much easier now. My granddaughter (7yo) is starting down the same path, and we have started she MUST try something new each time she is with me. Sometimes that is simply sampling an ice cream she hasn't had before (before she can have her standard "Birthday Cake" flavored ice cream.)

Most counter service also have chicken nuggets if that is a possibility for her. Or maybe mom could pack something for her.
She is impossible when it comes to food. If we try and focus on food she will just not eat at all. We've tried to get her to try stuff and she won't do it and gets upset at us as if we're forcing her, which of course we're not. So we check menu's and try to find something she will eat. If we want to eat at a nicer place or a TS restaurant with nothing on the menu she will eat, her mom usually feeds her something first before we go and she will snack on bread while we eat dinner. Her mom even took her to a nutritionist and a counselor but pretty much they have told her mom not to stress on it and try and accommodate her until she grows out of it. So, that's what we do.

I found the Mac N Cheese to taste very different at different locations in the parks.

The Mac N Cheese at Pacific Wharf Cafe? This (on the side) with a bread bowl is one of my go to meals. If I'm feeling too sensitive to dairy that day, I'll get just a round loaf and some butter (and yes I realize the contradiction here of still using butter, lol!). But this has been a favorite for me ever since finding it existed.

But I've tried the Mac N Cheese at Goofy's and it was not the same texture or flavor. Looked similar, but definitely something was different. Was frankly quite terrible and I'm glad it was just one of many things at the buffet. It could easily just be preparation differences, but definitely left one totally inedible for me.

Yet to try it anywhere else, though. Usually there's something else on the menu I'll eat and I prefer getting a sourdough bowl to nibble on as well.

Usually I've found they'll give a sample for sure at Pacific Wharf Cafe. It's a lot creamier than the powdered cheese Kraft and the elbows are bigger, but even I like it (I'm a Kraft girl myself so I definitely get it). I'd liken it to the "fancy" Kraft you can get where the cheese isn't a powder.

See if you can get her to try a sample at least :).

Yes, Mac and Cheese at Goofy's is closer to kraft. When we go to Steakhouse 55, my granddaughter will order "Goofy's Mac and Cheese" and they bring it instead of the S55 version.

Having had a sensory issue kiddo myself, I get it. Here are my suggestions: 1. Get the Stouffers stuff and have her try it at home. If she'll eat it there, you are golden. If not, 2. Buy those small individual serving instant containers of Kraft Mac and Cheese. Carry it with you in the parks and ask for hot water so you can make it at the table. At least she likes something that is easily portable! Hope your daughter grows out of it quickly. Mine started getting over his sensory stuff late in middle school. Today he's a young adult, and you'd never guess he ever had the issue.

I came back to add: The CMs are Disney are amazing! I had booked dinner at the Crystal Palace at WDW because their menu said they always had chicken nuggets on the kids' buffet. Of course, the day we were there, they didn't. My son was in tears. I figured I'd just grab some bread for him, eat quickly while he met the characters, and get out. One of their chefs spotted him, asked what was wrong, and brought him a plate of chicken nuggets she'd fried up just for him! If you have a kid with special needs, Disney is your friend!

Having had a sensory issue kiddo myself, I get it. Here are my suggestions: 1. Get the Stouffers stuff and have her try it at home. If she'll eat it there, you are golden. If not, 2. Buy those small individual serving instant containers of Kraft Mac and Cheese. Carry it with you in the parks and ask for hot water so you can make it at the table. At least she likes something that is easily portable! Hope your daughter grows out of it quickly. Mine started getting over his sensory stuff late in middle school. Today he's a young adult, and you'd never guess he ever had the issue.
I was thinking about bringing the mac and cheese as you suggested. Ill tell her mom. I think its a great idea!

I came back to add: The CMs are Disney are amazing! I had booked dinner at the Crystal Palace at WDW because their menu said they always had chicken nuggets on the kids' buffet. Of course, the day we were there, they didn't. My son was in tears. I figured I'd just grab some bread for him, eat quickly while he met the characters, and get out. One of their chefs spotted him, asked what was wrong, and brought him a plate of chicken nuggets she'd fried up just for him! If you have a kid with special needs, Disney is your friend!
This is so awesome! Disney is magical!!!

Yes, Mac and Cheese at Goofy's is closer to kraft. When we go to Steakhouse 55, my granddaughter will order "Goofy's Mac and Cheese" and they bring it instead of the S55 version.

I don't agree with this assessment, but we all do taste things differently :). And if it works for some people, awesome!

I honestly don't think its about the taste. Its about the brand and her feeling ok eating it. She could have apple slices from the same type of apple with the same sweet taste and if it isn't the brand she likes she won't eat it. I appreciate your input though. I'm starting to agree with the others when they say its a sensory issue. I am not familiar with this so, I looked it up and some of it sounds just like her and one of the associated characteristics is ADHD which she has been diagnosed with so, this make a lot of sense now. Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it!

Just curious if ppl are sure it’s Stouffers at DL? The max & cheese at WDW is definitely not Stouffers, bc my daughter does like Stouffers, but does not like the mac at WDW. But if it’s different at DL, maybe I’ll let her try it there! Thx.

Another suggestion: our oldest was "Mr. Picky" for eons, so rather than have him starve wherever we went, we packed him some food to take along everywhere. Disney CMs are so great about things like this. We always made sure to order plenty of food for the rest of our group so that the restaurant, CS or TS, made a decent profit and the CM made a good tip. Then we asked for an empty plate for oldest. He was allowed to pick off our plates if anything interested him (rare, but sometimes fruit was acceptable). I always packed him grilled cheese sandwiches or peanut butter, goldfish crackers, rice crackers, etc. Things had to be on the "right" bread, with the "right" cheese, cut into the "right" shapes, the "right" brand... you get the picture. As long as I knew that he had plenty of water, his multivitamin, and something to eat at every meal, we were good. And he knew that he had to behave at the table -- no fits or whining or refusing to eat anything. (And I will always be grateful to the CMs who managed to charm him into trying a bite or two of new things!) If your niece can find a few things that she likes that can be brought into the parks each day (e.g. protein bars, instant oatmeal, cereal packs, the mac'n'cheese packs mentioned above, sandwiches, etc. -- it doesn't have to be meal specific -- cereal for dinner is still a meal), it will get her through your trip and relieve the stress for her and everyone else.

ugh, my kiddo ordered mac and cheese at the BB and refused to eat it , because it wasnt the blue box crap..! ASD at its finest ! he sat while we all ate and then had something later..

you can get the recipes on line , could you make it before you go and get her to try it ? that way she will have an idea of what she will be ordering .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter