Losing weight with a bad back

scrapbookworm

Mouseketeer
I guess this is more a vent. I have had a bad back since I was 18. I've had 2 back surgeries. I currently have a herniated disc for the 3rd time. I just had a facet block/SI joint injection a week ago to try to control the pain for our upcoming DCL vacation.

I just can't exercise. Anything I do aggravates the herniated disc. 7 years ago I did Body for Life and lost 30 lbs. I also herniated 2 discs in the process. I had a spinal fusion a few months later, and with all the pain medications and anti-depressants I took afterwards, I gained everything back. It took me a good 18 months to recover from the surgery.

So now, at age 31, I just can't exercise anymore without causing a lot of pain. This sucks. I also acquired fibromyalgia after the 2nd back surgery. Whenever I diet, I'm always starving, and that makes me feel even worse. I did Weight Watchers back in January, but the dieting seemed to trigger a bad fibro episode, and then a little later I slipped on some ice and aggravated this herniated disc.

I decided to do 5 minutes on my elliptical this morning. Now I have an ice pack on my back b/c it triggered the pain. I have this viscous cycle- I want to lose weight, start exercising, get pain, quit exercising for several days, lament about my weight, start exercising, etc etc.

I'm 5'7" and weigh 185. This is what I weighed when I brought home my baby from the hospital 10 years ago. Ugh!!!!!!:eek: I guess that I now lack the sheer willpower to try to lose weight through dieting alone. I think of all the things I do, work full time, family, Girl Scouts, etc. and just adding dieting to the mix stretches my mental limit. But I've done it before. I did awesome on Body for Life. Except I ended up really giving myself a Body for Life- I herniated two discs and now have rods and screws in my lower back b/c my lumbar vertebrae move around.
:mad:

I am sorry to read about your back issues. The things you face do seem to be overwhelming to you I'm sure, but I'm glad to hear you recognize your need to stay within a certain weight range. This will help the load you place on your body in general and back specifically.

Best suggestion I can offer right now is to not think of this using that "D" word. That is defeating right at the start. The new lifestyle you want to refer to will be to make healthy choices when you fuel your body. You do not necessarily have to deny yourself certain things. Remember though to treat yourself as a fine treasured machine. One you want to give the best you can. Healthy choices.

Keep track of those calories in that need to be less than calories out. You don't need a lot of fuel, just better healthier choices. You can still taste some things you crave or cannot do without, just don't overfill on the unhealthy choices. Try to cut your fuel intake into smaller amounts aiming for 6 times/day with a specific total caloric goal in mind.

Think positive! You will be successful that way. Get mad! Make it happen. Fight for you.
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

My next part is to ask what your medical team says you can do in the way of moving. I know some who have had spinal fusion, and while weight lifting is out of the question, walking is ok. You can work with your medical team to outline something for you that would allow you to feel better about moving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter