• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Losing the Magic?

Conure

Batting .400
Recently, the Disney "magic" is dwindling down by the day. More people are opting to go to parks with more thrill rides like Six Flags, Universal, etc. By doing this, they are drawing Disney into the competition, and taking away favorites like Horizons to build bigger, faster, more "exciting" rides. Also, there is more virtual reality than ever. It's easy to tell things are bleak when The Great Movie Ride, Carousel of Progress, Timekeeper, among others are on the chopping block. Is there such a thing as the "magic" anymore? Or is something that was once one man's dream becoming an inviting, large reality, now just a money making scheme? Let's hope not. Someone in the higher bracket of Disney employees needs to remember that Disney was intended to be enjoyed by all ages, not just adult thrillseekers. That is one thing that makes Disney great. There's entertainment and enjoyment for evryone and every age, and that's how Walt himself wanted it.

We were there from 2/24-3/3. We felt the magic. We spent one day at US/IOA and I came to the conclusion it's an amusement park. No more, No less. Not anything special. My DS/15 is getting to an age that IOA is more exciting. I respect and understand that but if that's what he want's I'll drive two hours to Six Flags New England.

I love CoP and the GMR. Time keeper was a must do. BUT!!!! I expect Disney to do what's necessary to stay competetive. I expect to see a mix of Disneyesque attractions and things for the 14+ crowd.

Someone in the higher bracket of Disney employees needs to remember that Disney was intended to be enjoyed by all ages, not just adult thrillseekers. That is one thing that makes Disney great. There's entertainment and enjoyment for evryone and every age, and that's how Walt himself wanted it.

What has Disney done to move away from Walt's vision? He was a progressive, adaptive thinker. From what I can see, the fututre plans meet those expectations.

We just visited in December, and for us the magic is still alive and kicking, dare I say better than ever. I've been visiting at least twice a year for the past 11 years and I have found that there is plenty there for all ages to enjoy. The so-called thrill rides at WDW are few and far between, with the bulk of attractions/shows still geared toward families. In fact, the last two projects to open(DinoRama, Aladdins Flying Carpet) address this issue directly. In all honesty I think that Disney will never get carried away with coasters and other such rides that turn the stomach. If anything I believe that they are merely trying to expand the diversity of their offerings.

There's still a lot of magic at the Disney parks IMO but it is dwindling year after year. The old rides and the CM's luckily still carry on the traditions but too much of the new stuff is just plain disappointing, again IMO.

That said, we are visiting Universal along with WDW the next time we travel to Orlando. Many, many people have told me that there is a certain magic at Universal too and that these parks can't in any way be compared to Six Flags. We'll see but I do believe that to some extent that magic is in the eye of the beholder. I can't see any magic at Six Flags but I know of some people who are very excited by these parks. Is this magic to them? I don't know but it's hard for me to understand. :)

There is still magic! I still love the place and manage to drop in for a few days every year.

I just don't like much of the new stuff. The last truly magical attraction that Disney built for me was AK's safari. That is a truly exceptional attraction. The problem is that AK lacks much else that interests me.

Since then.......

JIYI
Magic Carpets
Dinorama
Lots and lots of shops.

Magic Carpets are ok, but the Dinorama thing is a blight. Really really really bad.

Here is the way it works for me...........Build something new and I will spend time at every park. But time is ticking. I still go ever darn year, but I am spending less time each year than the year before. Disney is still the best in the world, but it just seems like they aren't driven to set the standard anymore in their new attractions. The world class stuff has all but disappeared.

All the cutbacks....? I have no idea about how their financial structure works. The parks are still clean, fun, and filled with great employees. I never lack anything to do. If they stop building entirely I would still come. But when they build stuff and it "feels" like a compromise......

I have high hopes for the new Figment, and even higher hopes for SPACE. If SPACE is JUST an ride, however, I am going to be upset. So please fill it with eye candy, Disney. Show us that you still know how to build the best in the world.

We've been going to WDW almost every year since 1986 and while we still feel the magic, we have seen a few slightly disappointing trends that stray from the traditional charm.

Many of us are happy going back to the same thing year after year, but from a business point of view, they need to keep up with this high-tech world we live in to attract a new generation of "kids." I just hope they maintain some balance so older kids like us can enjoy going as much as our grandchildren.

Don't forget, too, that what was presented as "futuristic" 25 years ago has become yesterdays news. Now, if they could just discover that ever elusive fountain of youth....

I see that when I first read this, your post total was only seven. Well let me say: Conure, my new found friend!! Welcome!! You need to find the car pool thread (at the top of the page) and sign up for car number 3. It is a lovely ride that affords folks to enjoy the wonderful experience that Disney magic can bring us, but at the same time allows them to see reality as it is. And sometimes that includes criticizing Disney management for boneheaded business decisions, shortsightedness and money over magic thinking. (NOTE: you will have a hard time convincing others that you can enjoy what magic remains while denouncing current policies.)

Anyway, welcome and post often. I like the way you think!!!! ;)

Eeyore2U:
What has Disney done to move away from Walt's vision?
I don't know how long you've been hanging around this board, but go through some of the past, "classic" threads. Bring up any issue you like. Maybe the gutting of Imagineering. Perhaps the rampant sequels. What about the recent cuts (beginning before 9/11) including hours, rides with no replacements, hotel closures, etc. And those are just a few off the top of my head. There are dozens and dozens more we've talked about recently.

The question really should be, "What has Disney done to keep to Walt's vision?" Any answers? I certainly don't have too many!!!

:)

As long as there are those (boys, girls, adults....everyone!) who still believe that Magic is possible and allow imagination to be more important than consumerism or quick thrills, Disney will remain on top, as Magical as ever. All it takes is, "Faith and trust....oh yeah, and a little Pixie Dust."

Mickey76 :)

I'll go on record stating that I love thrill rides. I love roller coasters and being tossed and turned. Thing is, the thrill doesn't last. The feeling is great at that particular moment, but then it's gone. WDW is different.

On my first trip in '89 I was a nineteen and went with friends. The only reason we went was because it was Disney World and everyone has to go at least once in their lifetime. I wasn't into Disney at all at the time and wanted to go to Six Flags in St. Loius. I really didn't know what to expect at WDW. At first I was greatly disappointed at the lack of thrill rides. Boy did that change in a hurry! I can still remember the experience 13 years later. Talk about a life altering trip. It was NOTHING like I expected and I was entranced!

One of my all time favorites is Splash Mountain. Even without the drop it's still on the top of my list. Why? It brings as smile to my face and leaves me with memories. I haven't been able to go to the park since '94. (That's about to change!) I can still vividly remember the sights and sounds of Splash Mountain. Same goes for GMV, CBJ, Peter Pan, or any of the shows such as Beauty and the Beast or Little Mermaid. I could go on and on. They're not rides, they're experiences.

I went to Six Flags last summer. Yeah, I can tell you what I did and what I rode, but that's about it. It's a pure physical experience. That's what seperates WDW from these types of places. It stays with you after you leave. If Disney does go the 'thrill' route that's fine. They need to do what they have to do to keep up with the times. I only hope they have sense enough to know what made the parks so magical to begin with.

From the talk on this board I hope I'm not disappointed with what I find because the day I go and see the magic gone is the day I stop dreaming of going back.

Xevious- Don't let the crumugeons around here scare you.;)

Take Baron, who uses phrases like "what magic remains". He's taking a nearly month long trip to WDW in the near future. As usual, you can tell more about a person through his actions than his words...

Disney has always had its detractors. Some more vocal than others. Some felt they could see through Walt's "facade", and saw him as a pure capitalist who wanted to take over the world.

Its really no different now. Some love Disney, some hate it, some do both. Some resent it, some cherish it. The only real change is how easy it is to communicate these ideas with large numbers of people by typing on a keyboard.

The question really should be, "What has Disney done to keep to Walt's vision?" Any answers? I certainly don't have too many!!!

Baron,

I've been around long enough to know you all very well. I know we will agree to disagree. But I believe if Walt were here today you would see pretty much the same things being done to keep his business viable. I pretty sure the big picture was more important then the individual thought to Walt. He wanted to build Disneyland so he sold himself and his product to a television network. Life today isn't what it was in Walt's heyday. I can only imagine what he would have done with CoP as a virtual ride.

I take all the negatives I read hear with a grain of salt. I'll judge for myself when I go.:D

First-I'm a Disney "oldtimer". I like tradition. I like the themed, soft rides. Heck-I'm happy with the trian ride around the MK. The Tomorrowlad Transportation Authority is one of my favorite rides!! Spaceship Earth is bliss!! I liked the World of Motion, Horizons, and trhe Carousel of Progress. But that's me--.
These days, the attractiveness seem to be measured by how high and how fast the roller coaster. It's the difference between a "Theme park" and an "amusement park". I hope Disney can strike a balance between both, but my sense is they are drawing away from the traditional in favor of the "currently popular". I'm sure their research suggests that's what the people want.
My point (if any)-I'll continue to go to Disney parks as long as there are attractions I still like. But if they go too "High tech" I'll stop going. The future should be interesting--.

A departure from the restaurant board! I'm happy to see it.

You have a healthy Disney attitude, IMO. I agree that you take what you can, love it if possible & have fun if it's there... but the bottom line is, when it (Disney) no longer can 'bring the mail', I'll no longer 'foot the bill'! Pretty simple philosophy, really...
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

Why did Disney take away Horizons, World of Motion and the old Figment Imagination ride?:mad: Epcot lost a lot of magic when those rides were taken out. Is there anything we can do to bring them back??:confused:

King Triton

I prefer TT to World of Motion and I hope that Mission Space is an upgrade. Why won't people let Disney move forward. After riding some rides a bazillion times don't they get old? Also, it may be easier to blow something up and start new then refurb.

Eeyore2U, you're right again! In fact, were Walt still around he would have buried these dogs long ago. COP would have been in moth balls 10 years ago, easily. Walt loved change and hated standing pat...But around here if you try to give the current regime any credit you're immediately labeled an apologist!

I agree that TT is a huge improvement & Space will (undoubtedly) be, as well. JIYI was a disaster. How they took a cute (but somewhat lame ride) and made it worse is beyond me, but hey, nobody is perfect.
:smooth: :smooth: :bounce: :smooth: :smooth:

King Triton, with the exception of Spaceship Earth, I believe the plan for Future World has always been to rework the contents of each pavillion every 10 - 20 years (or so). I could be wrong, but I believe it's even written into some of the sponsorship contracts.

Future World was growing significantly stale with me. Having been on all of the attractions dozens of times, I recall a trip in 1992 when I thought to myself "I'm tired of this." It's just one man's opinion of course, but I am glad to see new attractions replacing the originals.

Future World was growing significantly stale with me. Having been on all of the attractions dozens of times, I recall a trip in 1992 when I thought to myself "I'm tired of this." It's just one man's opinion of course, but I am glad to see new attractions replacing the originals.
Hold on to your hats folks!! I agree with Mr. Curling!! The problem I see, however, is they are not replacing (updating) the pavilions in a timely manner. And, even more important, the updates they have made, is obscuring the original focus! Now, maybe that focus needs to be readjusted. Again, that's fine. But instead of a redefinition, they give us 'stuff' hodge-podge fashion. You get the feeling that on someone's desk, under a huge stack of papers (mostly memos from Ei$ner demanding 10% reductions, spreadsheets and consultant's focus group reports), where no one ever looks anymore, lies the mission statement for Future World.

Maybe it's time to dust it off and read it!!!!

Ah, my favorite type of thread. The Duck Returns. The Magic lives. I will be there end of June with my nephew and nieces. The 11 yo niece is SO LOOKING FORWARD. Her face just lights up at the thought and she has never been to WDW. That is what I call MAGIC.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter