Looney's Trip - Day 7 -Can't I go back to Day 1 and start all over?? Please!

LooneyIAm

Earning My Ears
We woke up and you know the feeling......you see the bags packed and sitting there except for a few last minute things and you just feel sad.

Let me explain what why we were moving off-site for one night (which we will never ever do again!) With our package, we purchased an Ultimate Hopper Pass (same as length of stay). It was good from the day we checked in until the day we checked out. So our reasoning was if we checked out of OKW which was costing somewhere around $270 a night, and headed for home, we were in essence losing the whole day at the park that we were still entitled to - check-out day. So we figured we'd save a little money and move out to a nearby hotel just for the one night. I got the a great rate off of mousesavers.com and booked one night at the Caribe Royale. So we used Express Checkout, took a last look around our villa (and I made a promise I would definitely be back someday) and we shut the door and drove away:(

We had no trouble finding Caribe Royale since it was very near the souvenier store we had shopped at yesterday, so we got there quickly, with no problems (which is somewhat of a miracle, wouldn't you say?) DH sat in the car with DD & DS and I went inside to check in, hoping there was some remote chance we could get in early. Do you believe it, the suite is ready and we are handed our keys. We are supposed to get a 1-bedroom suite. It has a mini-kitchenette type of set-up, table and chairs, pull-out couch and two queen-sized beds in the bedroom. DS is really looking forward to this, because he will finally be able to get a bed to himself :)

We get our overnight stuff inside and upstairs and open the door. Ok, it is clean and the view to the pool is beautiful. The pool itself is really something, with a great slide and waterfall. But it is so small! At least compared to OKW! And when we close the door between the living room and the bathroom area, there are no windows in the living room at all and I suddenly feel like I am in a box! I think if you are going to change hotels, it is always better to go up a step instead of down. Remember that! Ok, so we are only here for the night. It's just a pit-stop.

So we decide to head back to Disney and go into Epcot and the worlds a little while. DD wanted to try out some quiche they have in France and I wanted to try out the Beaver Tails in Canada. So we drive over, a very uneventful trip and park without a problem. We take the little boat ride over to the worlds and we are very close to France. We head inside the bakery - I apologize - I can't remember the name, but I will never ever forget their pastries! I cannot believe the wonderful choices they have in there. If they taste as good as they look, I might have to pull up a cot and never leave! DD finds out she will not be eating the quiche (it has ham in it) but orders one of the desserts instead (big sacrifice there don't you think?). DH, DS & I each choose something different and then I order an extra....just because! We find a table and taste each other's choice and just sit there oohing & ahhing over how delicious this stuff is. You have to try it! By the time we were done, I forgot all about the Beaver Tails (I'll save that for next time). We headed back to the boat and before you know it we were back in our car and headed back to Caribe Royale. DD had made PS at Ohana's earlier so we were planning to relax at the pool this afternoon, have a nice dinner at Ohana's for our last night at Disney and then get to bed early. We were going to drive as far as Virginia the next day and then the rest of the way to Pa. on Sunday.

So back in the room DD & I change into our swimsuits and DS says he will come to the pool shortly. Ok, we are going to get into another "gray" area here - we are going to discuss something again that is definitely not "dinner-table" conversation. So some of you may want to leave now. For the rest of you brave souls, I'm sure you will feel this story just "fits" our vacation tale so far.

So, how to say this politely.....ok, lots of people take lots of odd things on vacation with them.....George Foreman Grills, ear plugs, etc., well let's see if any of you can beat this.............we always take a bathroom plunger. Yes, you read that correctly, a bathroom plunger. DS has a bad habit of plugging up toilets! Ok, there I said it! Let's not be squeamish here - everyone goes to the bathroom - you know it's true. So we put the plunger in a plastic garbage bag so "no one will ever know what it is" and we sneak it in with our luggage.

So I remembered that the plunger was still in the car as I was walking to the pool with DD. I had a moment where I considered going to the car and getting it and taking it back to the room, but I figured, we are only going to be here one night, what are the chances????????????? Remember what I said about that song....."isn't it ironic"?

We were in the pool a while and then relaxing on the lounge chairs and I mentioned to DD that I couldn't understand why DS hadn't come down to the pool yet. DD thought maybe he figured he wouldn't be able to find us and changed his mind. The "mother witch" part of me kicked in and I had this weird feeling something else had happened. So another 15 minutes went by and I headed back to the room to find him. I stepped into the room and first thing I saw was him lying on the bed watching tv and he looked over and smiled at me. DH was standing at the vanity in the middle of the suite holding the hairdryer in one hand and a sock in the other, apparently drying the sock with the hairdryer! Let me tell you, if looks could kill, I would be a goner! Before I could stop myself the words came out of my mouth, "what happened? we were waiting for you at the pool." DS, the precious young man that he is, just calmly smiled and said "I plugged the toilet and it started overflowing." As if he was telling me that the weather channel was predicting rain next week. Of course, DH was not nearly as calm about it! Apparently DS had used the bathroom first and thought everything was working fine mechanically and walked out. DH went in to use the bathroom and I don't have to go into details about this, do I? Anyway, DH is inside flipping out for DS to get in there and DS is out in the bedroom without a clue what the heck he did wrong this time? He opened the bathroom door and saw DH trying to stop things from going from bad to worse. DH yelled at him to go get the plunger and you didn't have to tell him twice - he was outta there! By the time he got back, DH had everything under control and there really wasn't much of a mess to speak of - no towels were even involved. Just DH's socks :bounce:

It was kind of funny then, but there was no way I was going to laugh while DH was standing there drying his socks! So I said I was going back to the pool and DS he would be there in a few minutes. We lounged around a little more retelling the story to DD who just kept shaking her head!

By the time we go back to the room, DH's socks have dried off and he has cooled down ;) We shower and dress and we head to Ohana's for our last meal at Disney (hey maybe I can almost eat a whole meal - I haven't had any problems since the Imodium yesterday - just a lingering slight queasiness off and on). So we were all in a pretty good mood by the time we got to Ohana's.

DD & I had done lots of research on the restaurants at the different resorts and we had told DH & DS all about Ohanas, so they kind of knew what to expect. But it was much better in reality than even I imagined. We enjoyed the coconut races a lot, in fact there was a bridal party there and they had their own race, which was really cute! The view of the Magic Kingdom was great and our meal was excellent. DH wasn't too thrilled with the steak when it was first brought out - it was way too rare for him, but he asked nicely about a well-done piece and the fellow was glad to oblige. The steak, chicken & pork were delicious - so tender and tasty. They made a special vegetarian lo mein for DD the vegetarian. We were all very impressed with the place and that is up at the top of the list with Bomas for a repeat visit next time!

We walked around outside the Polynesian and decide we would like to stay here someday, but since we prefer a suite style, it might not be until I win a very big lottery! :)

We now say a final goodbye to all things Disney and head back to Caribe Royale. We watch a little tv and then decide to turn in early and prepare for a long day on the road tomorrow.

So that is it - it is all over - and we have lived to tell about it - the stabbing wire in the braces, the out-of-control bug bite - the endless stomach virus - the pole that just appeared out of nowhere - the broken relationship between myself and the bathroom (if you are not understanding this, you need to go back and start at Day 1 - believe me, you won't regret it - the next time you go on vacation, you will think of us and all those little things that go wrong will seem like nothing at all :)

We have survived and you know what? We had fun! A lot of fun! When I tell these stories to people, they focus on all the bad stuff and weird things that happend, but they weren't there for all the little moments that were so special!

We talked a lot on the long drive back to Pa. and this is what we decided...........we want to go back again as soon as possible! And next time we are going to stay longer! And next time my son will have his braces off, no bugs will dare bite my daughter, she will not take a jacuzzi bath in green or orange water and I will not allow any bathroom to form any kind of long-term relationship with me! Oh and we will take my husband by the hand and walk close to him if there are any poles nearby!

I hope everyone enjoyed reading about our vacation as much as we enjoyed living it!

Wow, that was some report. Your sense of humor is wonderful
and your attitude is great too. I hope when you go back you'll
have better luck. Do you have any idea if it was something you
ate?
Winnie:earsgirl: :wave:

Sounds like you had a magical vacation. I understand what you mean about going off property for a night. We did that....and learned from our experience. ;) Now its all Disney or nothing. The other hotels in the area are nice enough, they just dont have the magic. I'm glad you are home safe and sound. Thanks for sharing. :)

what a remarkable trip, and story thank you so much for sharing I can relate to alot of what happened to you thanks again

..............just adding Immodium & Benadryl to my packing list. Okay, thats done................I've laughed my butt off at your report. I know it's not funny to be sick, bitten or stuck in "the future" but I've about wet my pants reading all your reports! I could actually SEE your DH hitting that pole!:p

I've been wondering if it was some type of "food poisoning" as well. Especially since no one else in my family got sick. Someone just told me there was an outbreak of food poisoning at one of the Disney Resorts a few weeks ago. Anyone know anything about that?

Paula

Enjoyed your trip reports immensely....Hope that your next trip is just as memorable (but not because of illness).....we are headed to POR in November, with DDs 20 and 24, and nieces ages 11 mons and 6 years...I'm bringing my own otoscope and amoxicillin just in case those little ears get infected...(I'm a PNP but it would really burn me up to make the correct diagnosis and then have to pay someone to say you're right...pay up please for a prescription!). MaryAunt

Really I have been laughing out loud while reading all your reports...Walking into the pole would be something that would happen to me so I just couldn't stop laughing...the story with your husband drying his socks was just too funny for words...thank you so much for a TRUE report of what it means to be a family and be in DW at the same time...just too funny for words....Marianne p.s. next time I hope there are no "problems" that you encounter because it seems that you encountered them ALL.. :earsgirl: :wave:

I read your reports all the way through. My DH kept saying what's so funny? I kept saying your won't believe what happened next. This could have been our story. So many of your DH reactions mimiced my DH. I said to my DH this report tells it like it is. Inspite of everything the fact that your family enjoys each other came shining through. We really enjoyed your style. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the reports...(I know how time consuming they are to write, having posted my own).

I'm sure that now that you are all home and back to boring work, school, etc., everyone is perfectly healthy - doesn't it just figure??? It takes a lot to spoil a Disney vacation (apparently not so much for some people, as I've read some pretty petty complaints) and I'm glad you didn't let it get you down and ruin your trip.

Again, thanks...:Pinkbounc

Couldnt stop reading your post. It was great! Sorry that you had so many distractions. Gotta love immodium, I became good friends with the stuff in Costa Rica.

What a great trip report and it was your happy attitude that got you through it all .. what a great sports you and your family are- I have also had a Disney Vacation that was like your - what else can you do but roll with the punches.. I predict your next vacation will be a great one ( ours was ) and for now Happy Planning !!
Michelle

so glad to hear that at the end of all of that - you still enjoyed your trip. hope you can get back soon and can make up for the time (and food!) you lost

you sound like you have a great family and even with the troubles you still made some wonderful memories and that is what is is all about - thanks for posting!

PS - I also laughed out loud at your DH and the socks!

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your trip report :D ! I really enjoyed reading it. I think it's great that you guys could just roll with the punches and make the best of things. I hope your next trip doesn't offer quite so many "challenges" ! Thanks again :D !

You certainly made a lot of memories on this trip. I love your sense of humor and it sounds like a sense of humor came in handy on this trip ;)

I read each one of your trip reports and laughed through each one.

Thank you for taking the time to post all of these, you made me smile :)

Katholyn

I just finished your trip reports and I had so
much fun reading them. I was also laughing out
loud. Simply funny and so wonderfully written.
The pole.....tell your husband not to feel too
bad about the pole. I became acquainted with a
pole just like he did while on vac. in Key West
one year. We were out late just walking and
checking out the sights and window shopping. All
of a sudden there was this couple walking toward
us that caught my attention. This was the strangest looking couple I have ever seen in my
life. Well, they were all over each other and I
was trying to figure out what they were. Male??
Female?? WOW, bam, head first into the street
light pole. Now, talking about feeling stupid,
that was me. No damage done, but I am still to
this day wondering what they were. We will be
making our Dis trip from Sept 21-28 and I will
be watching out for that pole, never again. LOL
I can also relate to the sock thing to, now that
was another upsetting situation. Oh what fun we
have on vac. and so many memories, good and bad.
Thanks for a great report!!!

Mustangdi-

That is so funny, I have a visual in my head of what these people might have looked like (LOL). Isn't that as much fun as anything else at Disney - peoplewatching? And some people think animals are interesting!!!!! Now you have me laughing - maybe we should take a little poll - how many people have walked into a pole at Disney - we might be very surprised by the results, don't you think?

Have fun!

Paula

WOW! What an adventure. Thanks for posting your great trip report.

I have thoroughly enjoyed your reports!

I can relate to the plunger story in that I'm usually the culpret at home, but my DW plugged the potty on an offsite trip in 97! It was so embarassing for us both to have the manager of this little cheap motel in Kissimmee come to the room with HIS plunger LOL

Wonder if they'd mind if we bring ours on the plane (especially as carry-on)?!?!? LOL

I'm glad you were able to enjoy your vacation despite all your hardships!!!

And yes, I'll think of you (& pray we won't emulate your family) on our next trip!

Thanks for sharing all your great reports!

Gee yepod -

thanks for sharing your own "plunger problems" :) So nice to know there are people out there who also have "real" problems on vacation! On a positive note, when we share vacation stories, how many times can people really get pumped up hearing about the "wonderful meal" you had at such and such a restaurant. But, mention the word toilet or plunger and the eyes get wide and the ears perk up, don't they?

Here's hoping you have a fantastic "next trip"!

Paula

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!