Looking to the Future March 2019

Anita Norris

Earning My Ears
Planning ahead for our super fun adventure. We are going to do a year long homeschool excursion in 2018-19. We plan on being in Florida in March/April 2019. And, since our family vacation to WDW in 2016, i have been itching to go back. There are 5 of us. maybe 2 dogs, we don't know about that yet.
We will be towing a 38' 5er with a Ford 250 diesel.
Alright, so my questions are, how difficult is the parking? is it back in only? (I should be a pro by then, but I'm just covering my bases.)
Is it better to stay off site or at fort wilderness? Yes, we will be going to all 4 parks.
are there alligators in Fort Wilderness?
How soon does Fort Wilderness fill up? Do we need to make reservations ASAP?
We are not typically night owls, and we didn't see any of the nighttime activities in 2016, because I was tired. And my feet hurt. But I am doing much better now. are we able to see fireworks from Fort Wilderness?
Is there anything else I should know or consider for this part of our trip?
Thanks for all your help.

I can answer some of your questions for you.

All campsites are back in only, have not seen any pull-thru sites.
Staying at the Fort, in my opinion is better than off site.
The Fort fills up fast, when you have a date down make your reservation, up to 499 days in advance by calling 4079391936
You can see the higher MK fireworks from the beach.
Alligators, yes, its Florida and there is water. I have not seen one at the Fort, but I am sure they are there.

And, :welcome: to the camping Forum.

Can I ask a question? When you make your reservations that far in advance, do you reserve at todays prices and get to keep that price? Or if there is a price increase does it affect your reservation? Thanks!

I can answer some of your questions for you.

All campsites are back in only, have not seen any pull-thru sites.
Staying at the Fort, in my opinion is better than off site.
The Fort fills up fast, when you have a date down make your reservation, up to 499 days in advance by calling 4079391936
You can see the higher MK fireworks from the beach.
Alligators, yes, its Florida and there is water. I have not seen one at the Fort, but I am sure they are there.

And, :welcome: to the camping Forum.

Thank you!!! I am so Happy I found this site. SO much knowledge is here. I love it!
So there have not been any reports of pets being eaten by alligators, and I assume we don't swim in the lake. That is why there is a pool, right?

Any body of water in Florida has alligators. 9/10 times they are not a threat unless they feel threatened. They stay around the water and don't really wander too far. That's the only knowledge I can offer.

Can I ask a question? When you make your reservations that far in advance, do you reserve at todays prices and get to keep that price? Or if there is a price increase does it affect your reservation? Thanks!

I wish you could lock in prices but you can't. Rates for the next year get set during the summer time which is when the on-line system is updated to book for the next year. But the way the 500 day booking rule works, you can call and make a reservation for the next year before on-line is ready. In that case you pay the current year's rate as a deposit and you can make your reservation. But when you check in your balance due will be based on the newer (no doubt higher) rates.

There's almost ALWAYS a price increase too.

Bama Ed

Thank you!!! I am so Happy I found this site. SO much knowledge is here. I love it!
So there have not been any reports of pets being eaten by alligators, and I assume we don't swim in the lake. That is why there is a pool, right?

We saw an alligator when we were there last march behind our site in the 300 loop in the water near the dog park. We had a little yorkie with us at the time but we kept her on a leash and didn't let her wander around by herself. Spotted it a couple times when we were there in the same area. We did let FW know about it but they didn't seem all that concerned, nor did I see anyone come out to rehome it somewhere else.

There's alligators in all FL waters usually. Go out and shine a flashlight once it is dark onto the water... all those little eyes will shine back at you! They really don't bother people usually. Main things to remember, do NOT go around the water's edge at dusk, that is their feeding/breeding time. Especially if you have dogs. I grew up in FL and we never had an issue with them and saw them a ton.

how difficult is the parking? is it back in only? (I should be a pro by then, but I'm just covering my bases.)
As stated previously but have no fear, plenty of watchers will be around popcorn:: Some will offer assistance, some will assist only if you ask for it, others will just watch. Don't worry though, because you will also get your chance to watch others and do the same, I am sure. :)

How soon does Fort Wilderness fill up? Do we need to make reservations ASAP?
This is a big "Depends". If you are talking about dates like Christmas , Halloween, New Years, Thanksgiving, etc... ? Then you better take advantage of that 499 advance booking (or at least 1 year out), otherwise you may not get in (or have to play the daily game of checking/calling to try and piece a reservation together).

Even if you are not looking to go during the "Demand" times, you are still best to get your reservations in as early as you can.

There was that crocodile in MK, oh wait, that is Tick Tock. :lmao:

Been there the last two years and did not see any gators. But did not spend a whole lot of time wandering along the waters edge to look either.

On site is best, no need to drive in each day and park, then try and get out at the end of the day. Use the internal bus system and leave the driving to them.

I have not been to the FT yet, but I have to say, just stick to this board as I have learned a ton and we have not even been able to keep our reservations yet. (Hoping this year changes)

Also, I am JEALOUS! That is one of our goals: to buy a bigger camper and take off a few months for roadschooling. I am not sure we could do an entire year, but I wanted to get in quite a few months. We are thinking 2-3 years from now when the kids are older and would appreciate more museums and landmarks. We are going to the Ark next year though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter