Looking for opinions on a small dog/puppy for an active child

http://www.nc4h.org/
Look into your local 4-H clubs...Many have dog obedience clubs and they would also be a good source to possibly help you find a dog. and sorry to those who think otherwise...there is NOTHING wrong with finding a GOOD breeder to get a dog from. Just as there is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a shelter.

::yes:: What Kacaju said.

Don't rule out a GOOD breeder. There are many advantages.

I would explore both avenues.

I have a Boston Terrier that is very playful and entertaining for me and my kids (7 & 11). He is also low maintenance when it comes to grooming and veterinary care. I had a pug that I adored until the day she died. However, pugs shed like crazy and she was very expensive to care for - always at the vet with an ear infection, anal glands always needed to be expressed, skin allergies, etc. We purposely chose the Boston Terrier over another pug for those very issues.

We have a 12lb. yorkie named "chewy" (chew baca) He's not "yappy" my husband has allergies. So he's been the perfect dog for our family. Shelter or breeder. Call the local Vets office and ask for advice on where once you decide on breed. Good luck with your fur baby!

I have a Boston Terrier that is very playful and entertaining for me and my kids (7 & 11). He is also low maintenance when it comes to grooming and veterinary care. I had a pug that I adored until the day she died. However, pugs shed like crazy and she was very expensive to care for - always at the vet with an ear infection, anal glands always needed to be expressed, skin allergies, etc. We purposely chose the Boston Terrier over another pug for those very issues.

We reached these last night (my boss suggested too) and the boston terrier is coming out on top so far! Only down sides i have read are hard to train and can be noisy (grunting, snorting, gassy).

post a picture :) where did you find your boston terrier?

I am a fan of Miniature Poodles. They are good with kids and can keep up with an active child and family. I would only go to a reputable breeder or a rescue for one. I have found 4 great poodles thru rescues! One even became a service dog for me.

Poodle is the other one top on our list!

We have a French bulldog. She is a bossy little thing, but lves to cuddle and play with the kds. She is 4 now and is as spunky as she was when we got her. She does shed though, those tiny annoying hairs. I just love her personality.

I keep saying I'm done with dogs, but right now we have 2.:rotfl2:

I know you didn't ask for advice on whether or not to get a dog, but I just wanted to throw in my two sense.

I got my son the sweetest rescue dog the summer he was 10. I wanted an adult dog, and he was about 15 months when we got. He's pretty small (25 lbs) cuddly, happy little guy. I really do like him,

But it's also one of my biggest regrets. When my son was 10 and 11, it was perfect. My son spent hours playing with him afterschool, he came with us to soccer practice, and soccer games, and we'd spend our weekends hiking or going to a dog park or other things. Lots of fun.

The middle school years were pretty good too. The older kids play on turf, so he couldn't come

But now, I have a high schooler. With sports practices he's gone at school for 11 hours a day, and that's if it's a day when he doesn't have a Dr.'s appointment after that (1 day a week) or a match (1 or 2 days a week) or just want to hang out with his friends. He's really good about caring for the dog when he's here, but there are lots of days like yesterday, when he walked the dog, and left for school at 7 a.m., and then didn't get home from a tournament until midnight. My first choice for the evening would have been to head to the mall to get Christmas gifts, or maybe even see a movie of my own, but instead my schedule was dictated by the dog.

In 4 years my son will be out of the house, and the dog will be 9. If we're lucky (and I say that because I do love him) I'll have another 5 or so years to be tied down.

So, my advice is to think about a rescue mutt (mine is a "big dog" personality in a little package, he's really the perfect dog), but maybe think about getting an older dog.

I was just coming to post that I wouldn't get a yorkie too! We have had 2 and love them to death, but they are not good dogs for kids that have never been around dogs before. They tend to be yappy and snappy.

We have a 9 month old Havachon, which is half Havanese and half Bichon Frise. His mom is 10 pounds and his dad is 7, so he will max out around 10 pounds. We got him when he was 3 months old and he is the greatest little dog. He has a playful, even-tempered personality. He is very smart mainly just wants to cuddle or play. I was hesitant about getting a dog, but I'm so glad we did. He is good-natured and sweet and wonderful with my kids. I know some small dogs bark a ton, but ours doesn't. He is very social and does not like to be alone for very long. He follows me everywhere. That is the only drawback I can think of. We couldn't have asked for a better dog. We picked this breed because he doesn't shed and he doesn't have the yappy bark that many small dogs have. He's easy to carry around and has a pretty sturdy build. He tolerated my 3 year old niece manhandling him pretty well. When he had enough, he just went behind the couch where she couldn't reach him. We got him from a breeder who has been breeding bichons for decades. He does need to be groomed every 6-8 weeks and he needs to be brushed frequently. Havachons are also generally pretty healthy dogs. They're super cute, too.

House training has been tough, but he does scratch at the door when he wants to go out. If he doesn't make it outside he only goes on the puppy potty pad we placed by the back door. We haven't had any accidents on the carpet in about a month. House training small dogs is doable, it just takes a little longer than with bigger dogs. Crating him has been really easy, he adapted to that quickly. I would definitely recommend looking into a havachon, Havanese, or bichon frise. They're all within the same family of dogs.

We have a Coton de Tulear who matches your description well. She was very easily trained and house broken. She is the most loyal dog who won't even leave your side when walking outside. She cuddles all the time. She will bark back at dogs that bark at her but is not at all yappy in the house.

They are traditionally long hair dogs who don't shed but we keep a puppy cut that requires a trim about every 4 months or so.

I have three dogs from the same litter, got one at 7 weeks, one at 7 months, and the final one at 10 months. It was MUCH easier with the second two because they were already housetrained. A 7 week old pup can only hold his bladder for maximum of 3 hours, so it took some creative scheduling in order to meet his needs, since both my DFi and I work 9-5 on weekdays. We do not have kids so that was easier.

A colleague of mine has two kids and adopted a ten month old dog from an elderly couple, who was already trained, which was much easier for her busy life. Also, the pup is the perfect age to run around with her kids.

As for energy, our third pup came from the SPCA and he is the most energetic and HAPPY of all the dogs. Call me crazy, but it really seems like he is so appreciative to have a home. I would highly recommend contacting your local shelter or checking loca classifieds ads. As a pp said, people get rid of young, trained dogs for a variety of reasons, so you may get lucky and find the perfect dog that way.

Our lab is 1.5 years old. He is GREAT with our baby. I think the advantage of having a puppy is that they get accustomed to being around children and aren't easily spooked.

Ohh, another idea, check with people that train therapy dogs or service dogs. They're *VERY* picky about what dogs "graduate" from the training, which means a lot of great dogs "wash out" because they simply don't have the exact drive/personality needed for the work they're going to be doing. It's kinda hit or miss about when or if they have dogs available, but they'd at least be a good reference that could point you in another direction.

We have a 9 month old Havachon, which is half Havanese and half Bichon Frise. We picked this breed because he doesn't shed and he doesn't have the yappy bark that many small dogs have. He's easy to carry around and has a pretty sturdy build..

Lol - I actually looked up this "breed," and then googled my mutt (mini-Jack - I thought I made it up, but I guess not) - the same website came up for both! You just can't breed to different breeds, and come up with a new breed. It's impossible to tell if the dog is 50% of one, 50% of the other. They are just mutts (and I love mutts).

Ohh, another idea, check with people that train therapy dogs or service dogs. They're *VERY* picky about what dogs "graduate" from the training, which means a lot of great dogs "wash out" because they simply don't have the exact drive/personality needed for the work they're going to be doing. It's kinda hit or miss about when or if they have dogs available, but they'd at least be a good reference that could point you in another direction.

Many people don't realize breeders do something similar. A breeder may keep 2 puppies out of a litter to *grow out*... once they are a little older they may not have what it takes to become a show dog...but the breeder is happy to place it in a pet home.. you would get a older pup or young adult dog who has already been trained

We reached these last night (my boss suggested too) and the boston terrier is coming out on top so far! Only down sides i have read are hard to train and can be noisy (grunting, snorting, gassy).

I can't figure out how to post a picture. I'll have to ask my daughter when she gets home. My BT is quiet but it could be that he's quiet compared to the pug that I had :) He was quite gassy when we first got him. We had to switch his food because he was awful. Since switching to a diet that has pumpkin and sweet potato he hasn't been gassy. I got him from a breeder here in MA named Surryside - wonderful breeder! There was another breeder in CT that was wonderful as well named companion pups. I"m sure if you contacted either one of them they would be happy to you all about the breed. They may also know of a breeder in your area as well…they both seem to be very connected to other breeders.

We have a CAVACHON- king charles cavalier spaniel and bischon. She is the smartest and most cuddly dog ever-very easy to house break. Your DD would love her to be by her side.She is steady at 24 lbs. 3 yrs old.

Linda

My dog! Lol! Six months old and 100% housebroken/crate trained when we adopted her at 6 months. 20 pounds, short haired mutt, puts up with being carried like a toddler, listens off leash, rings the bell when she wants to go out, loves other dogs, LOVES the kids - her only fault (our fault) is she pulls on the leash, but will stop immediately if you drop the leash.

How we got the perfect dog? We didn't care about breed. I knew someone who fostered dogs, and I just asked her to look out for a dog who would be a great fit. I suggest getting in touch with rescue groups who foster. Most of them want a great family fit!

I would also suggest going through a rescue group that fosters especially if you want them already potty trained.

That is the reason I have never gotten a puppy in my whole life is because I do not want to potty train the dog and have it pp'ing and pooping on my floor AT ALL while it learns to go outside.

Our dog was adopted from another family and he came to us potty trained or I would not be a dog owner right now.

I know there is a Min-Pin rescue group in Louisiana that potty trains the dogs before they adopt them out but you have to be screened and be a right fit before they will let you adopt one of their dogs.

pantherlj said:

We had a Boston Terrier about 25yrs ago-- cutest dog on the planet, dumb as a box of hammers. We never could get him reliably house-broken. And he shedded like a golden retriever. You could just about see the fur flying off him!

We got a little Bichon-Min.Poodle mix about 10 months ago. He's about 5-6yrs old. He unfortunately has a history of severe abuse and neglect, so8 this particular dog would not be suitable for a child. But most Bichons and Min.Poodles are very nice pets for well-behaved children. They are pretty smart too--mine came to us totally untrained, but he was actually easy to housebreak. He knows sit, get down, and come. And he understands "dance"--prancing about on two legs. LOL, he's a hoot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter