• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Looking for Adventure in the Great Wide Somewhere a PTR

Yay, a decision has been made!!!:banana: You're going to have so much fun, let the planning begin!!! Does "H" have a lot to say about planning or is good to go with the flow? Had my first BFF trip in December (with our families) and it was the BEST TRIP EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love:

H is the complete non-planner. She actually likes following along with a plan, she just has no desire to do the planning herself. (Is she not the perfect friend for a Dis friend or what?) She has actually said if she ever gets married, that she's letting someone else do all the planning. :rotfl: Last year when we were supposed to go, she mentioned a few things, so I'm going to try to work in a few of them when possible.

I am so happy for you that you are at peace with your decision! Yayaya!

I love the picture of you two with Figment. :goodvibes I know how you feel about meeting someone you are just meant to be friends with, it's an awesome feeling. :cloud9:

I really really think you should let resortitis bite! I am dying to see where you end up staying. :yay: :woohoo: :yay:

I was so sad when they did away with the Figment meet area! Although I still prefer when Figment used to be the little dragon that was perched on the Dreamfinder's shoulder when he walked around.

I've felt like I've known H forever, and it's been that way since we met. We really compliment each other well.. Now she is one of my few remaining single, female friends so we have alot in common that way too.

Resortitis is very tempting!!!

Great picture of the two of you - even the colors of your cloths seem to go extremely well with Figment! :figment:

I think you made a very good decision and you really have a great friend who never tried to make you do what she wanted but took into consideration what you wanted! Resortitis sounds very exciting!! But I would say for stay during Christmas time WL is the perfect place! :goodvibes

Oh and may I ask something really stupid? What does BFF actually stay for?

After much deliberation and thought I finally came to a decision on my December trip. For days I kept going back and forth on what to do. I'd wake up in the morning convinced I really wanted this to be a solo trip, and at the end of the day (after switching back and forth about 10 times) I'd be sure I wanted to invite my BFF to come along. Finally I just went with my gut. No pro/con lists, no more debating. I just went with what my soul had been telling me was my only real decision.

My solo trip into the great wide somewhere is now a not so solo trip. :)

My friend will be joining me for a week of fun and relaxation in Disney this December. She accepted right away, although she was a bit worried that she had "guilted" me into inviting her. Not at all. I grew up with the expert in guilt, my italian grandmother, and have pretty much become immune to guilt treatments. :rotfl:I called CRO Thursday night and got added her on. While I'm a bit sad to be giving up my solo trip dream, I'm not regretful that I'm doing it. I know that sharing my Disney trip with one of my best friends is going to be even more special, and more than make up changing my trip. :wizard:

So let me introuduce the new player on this pre-trip report. For the sake of privacy I'll refer to her as simply as "H". This was us back on our 2007 trip. (That would be me on the right).

2007OctoberDisney-HeatherMeandFigme.jpg

H and I met while working at the same summer job ages ago when I was still back in college. Truly over the years, it has felt as if we were fated to meet up and become friends. We actually figured out that we had met years earlier when she was at one of my cousins birthday parties. She's been one of my nearest and dearest friends ever since. We share similar tastes in music, movies, and books. I've been mistaken for her more than just a few times, even once by my own mother. (How embarassing is that?) Oddly enough she's never mistaken by me. :confused3 I've never been told I look like anyone in my own family, but when we travel together people tend to think we are sisters. I've never really been one to have just one friend I consider to be my "best" friend, as even amoung my close friends, I'm always reluctant to truly open up. H is probably the one friend who knows me and my biggest secrets the best. She loves Disney as well, but hasn't been there nearly as often as I have. Our last trip was her first staying on property, and needless to say I got her hooked.

With the addition of my friend to my trip, I've been feeling myself slipping into my usual "planner" mode. Really and truly it's a sickness. Disneyplanneritis. I've been tearing apart my plans and reorganizing. A few changes will be made, because as soon as she said yes it became "our" trip and not just my trip. Much as I want to just kick back and relax, just knowing someone else is involved now, makes me so much more concerned about my plans. There is still going to be some solo time on this trip, which I am very much looking forward to, and some plans that I probably wouldn't have thought of if I was going alone. Really the best of both worlds.

So, hmmmm, now that there are two, is it time to let resortitis bite?

Hurray for the decision (you couldn't go wrong either way). Now with all of this planning, are you looking at upgrading resorts now since there is someone to split the cost with? :rolleyes1

Great picture of the two of you - even the colors of your cloths seem to go extremely well with Figment! :figment:

I think you made a very good decision and you really have a great friend who never tried to make you do what she wanted but took into consideration what you wanted! Resortitis sounds very exciting!! But I would say for stay during Christmas time WL is the perfect place! :goodvibes

Oh and may I ask something really stupid? What does BFF actually stay for?

The Figment room used to be really neat. So colorful!

BFF is kind of teen speak for "Best Friends Forever."

Hurray for the decision (you couldn't go wrong either way). Now with all of this planning, are you looking at upgrading resorts now since there is someone to split the cost with? :rolleyes1

It was definitely a win/win situation. There has been some looking into upgrading. ;)

Let the (new) Planning begin!

You have to love new planning!

I'm glad you made a decision you're happy with. And speaking from personal experience, there's really nothing like a trip to the World with a good friend. :thumbsup2

I'm glad you made a decision you're happy with. And speaking from personal experience, there's really nothing like a trip to the World with a good friend. :thumbsup2

It ended up being a very easy decision. We had a ball the last time we went, none of the drama that comes on a family trip. We definitely travel well together. I have another really good friend that I always have lots of fun with, but on vacation we aren't compatible at all. (Other than the fact that we both like to sleep in). I would have never guessed it until we took a miserable cruise together once.

I am so glad that you made a decision and are happy with it!!! :hug:

Can't wait to read the new plans and see whether the resort-changing bug has hit you!

I just found your report and read the entire thing.

I think you made the right decision on inviting your friend and you should definitely let resortitis due its thing!! :cool1::cool1:

My vote is for your dream balcony at Boardwalk!!! :dance3:

I just found your report and read the entire thing.

I think you made the right decision on inviting your friend and you should definitely let resortitis due its thing!! :cool1::cool1:

My vote is for your dream balcony at Boardwalk!!! :dance3:

Thanks for reading! I'm really looking forward sharing my trip now. It's meaning a bit more planning, but I'm not minding very much. Of course my over zealous inner planner is reveling in this!

I've been meaning to post an update, but the weather has been playing havoc with me, and I haven't really gotten anything done in ages. I'm turning into quite the bum. I'm going to try to have a resortitis part deux up soon.

I am excited that I'm going to get to see the nieces this weekend! :love: I haven't seen them in a few weeks, and am suffering from serious niece withdrawal. For anyone who hadn't read my last trip report, my two nieces are hands down my two favorite people ever. I may not have my own children, but I have been blessed beyond belief to have the two of them in my life. :hug: They are a bit put out that they aren't going with me to Disney this year. My younger niece "Cin" keeps telling me she's coming with me, ignoring the fact that she starts first grade in the fall. My older niece "Jasmine" is happy I have company going with me now. She wasn't understanding why I wanted to be in Disney alone. :rotfl:

They had their first dance recital a couple of weeks ago. They loved it. I took ballet and tap lessons for years myself, so I really enjoyed getting to see them perform. Thought I'd share a few pics, since otherwise all you'll get on this thread is pics of me, and they are much cuter.

Jasmine's on the left, Cin's on the right.

Steam_opt.jpg
True_opt.jpg

One dance number on the stage, and Cin was hooked. Before the recital she was telling us she didn't want to dance again next year, She liked it, but wanted to do gymnastics again. (She's very high energy). That was until she got to put on makeup and performed on the stage. Now all she wants to do is get back up there again. We may have created a monster. Jasmine just wants to keep up with the dancing - she loved getting to dance with the hat. Jasmine danced to a song called Steam Heat from The Pajama Game, and Cin danced to Be True to Your Heart from Mulan.

Here's one more of the two of them. Can you pick out the bigger of the two divas?

GirlsRecital_opt.jpg

Hopefully that will hold you all over! I'll try to get a post up today or tomorrow with some updates.

Your nieces are very cute!! :goodvibes Looking forward to your resortitis!!

I have actually started to plan a trip with my sister and we are absolutely confused about where to stay!! :confused::confused::confused:

Wow, those little neices of yours are gorgeous. I dont have a girl of my own but have 6 neices and 1 more on the way. I love buying for them at Christmas, Birthdays, and just any old time. Expecially the smaller ones who are into all the Disney stuff.

Oh goodness, they are just too cute for words! :cutie:

Your nieces are very cute!! :goodvibes Looking forward to your resortitis!!

I have actually started to plan a trip with my sister and we are absolutely confused about where to stay!! :confused::confused::confused:

Wow, those little neices of yours are gorgeous. I dont have a girl of my own but have 6 neices and 1 more on the way. I love buying for them at Christmas, Birthdays, and just any old time. Expecially the smaller ones who are into all the Disney stuff.

The girls are beautiful!! :cutie:Have fun this weekend with them!!!:banana:

Looking forward to your update, when you have the time, of course!!:surfweb:

Thanks everyone! I just love the two of them so much. One of my most prized possesions is a drawing the two of them did for me that was of the three of us, and said that they loved me because I made them so happy. :cloud9: Hangs right on my fridge so I can see it every morning first thing.

We had a wonderful father's day yesterday. A great family dinner at a favorite restaurant and then we all went to see UP. If you haven't seen it yet - go! It was wonderful. It touched on a few issues that I thought were a bit much for children, but those things seemed to go right over the kids heads. It was very touching, and almost made me cry, and I never cry in movies. (Well... there has been exactly one movie that has made me cry. "My Life" with Michael Keaton. Don't watch without a box of kleenex, seriously.) I think the adults liked Up more than the kids. My younger niece curled up against me for the entire movie as we shared some popcorn. It was a really wonderful day!

Resortitis is still rearing it's ugly head over me for this trip. I think it's payback for all the times I've had a good chuckle at laughing at everyone else suffering from it on their PTR's. :lmao: This has never happened to me before. Usually I just pick a resort (POFQ), book it, and live in peace and harmony until check in. This trip though is out to get me.

I was very tempted to upgrade my resort to the Boardwalk now that there are two of us. Very tempted. Half the cost, with my 20% AAA discount, would be less than what I was going to pay for my split stay by myself so price wise it is entirely doable now. But...

There's always a but right?

Saving some money is begining to look alot better. Why? Because I'm toying with the idea of another trip next year - two trips actually. Originally I was supposed to be going to Italy next year with my mom. That was the plan that was hatched before the economy took a nose dive and my raise was cancelled this year, and bonuses were eliminated. Due to changes in the review process at work I won't be due for another raise until next June (if they even give them then) when it should have been next Feb. In a nutshell, I won't be seeing any additional money for ages.

My mother is also dead set on taking a Perillo tour. She did a Perillo trip to Hawaii about 15 years ago, and loved it. The Perillo trip is supposed to be fantastic, but it's pricey. For the tour/food and flight it's about $5,000 per person. Plus spending money on top of that. There are cheaper tour groups (including Adventures by Disney), but she's being stubborn on this one. Perillo or nothing. I just don't think I'll be able to muster that up. I had been counting on the bonus money in particular to partially finance that trip. So now she's talking about going with my dad instead, when he finally comes in to some money from a workers comp case he has going on.

With no Italy trip likely next year, I'm looking at Disney. My friend H and I want to go down next October for the ToT 13k race. It's near my birthday, and the two of us have decided that we really want to finish a Disney race. Since she is going to walk it, the ToT 13k is a better choice because it only requires you keep up a pace of an 18 minute mile instead of the 16 minute mile requirement for the 1/2 marathons. I am also toying with the idea of going down in March for a long weekend for the Princess 1/2 marathon, for a solo trip. That's still just an idea right now, but I'm contemplating it.

With the idea of two more possible trips, I've pretty much decieded that I don't want to spend much more additional money on my room this trip. The same or less is my motto, but there is another issue. The split stay. I'm toying with the idea of going to just one resort. I don't mind moving from one resort to another, but now that I'm traveling with someone else I'm concerned about ADRs. I've been reading on the boards, that with a split stay you cannot use the 10+ rule to book ADRs for your entire visit from the day of first check in. So in my case I'd have to call on 9/6 to make ADR's for my first 4 days, and then again on 09/09 for the ast 3 days. Annoying. I guess this wasn't an issue before, but with their new system there is no way around this. For a solo trip it wouldn't have bothered me too much, but with my friend there are some "tougher" ADR's I'm hoping to get. Without the benefit of the 10 days I'm not sure I'll get them.

So the question becomes where to stay for the full week. I'd be willing to pay just a little more and stay at the Wilderness Lodge for the entire week, but there are no more standard view rooms available. To stay there the entire week we'd have to bump up to a courtyard view, which would bump the cost up even more. I could change just my first few days to a courtyard view, but I'd still have the ADR problem with a split stay doing that. There are pros to staying at the WL though. Much of my plans so far, have really been based around the fact that I'd be staying in a Magic Kingdom area resort. Plans I've been toying with - a day at the GF spa, breakfast at Kona, Chef Mickeys, relaxation around Bay Lake, all would be much easier staying at WL.

Other options would be to stay at the AKL in a standard view room for the week (still available), or moving to a moderate for the week. I've stayed at AKL before and loved it, but I'm thinking that my savannah view room the last time might have spoiled me for a view of the parking lot. It's also pretty far away from the MK, and with what I wanted to do this trip it would make those things fairly inconvienent. Pluses though are the great buses, the beautiful lodge and the animals.

For a moderate resort, it would probably end up being a stay at CBR. POFQ would be my choice if by myself, but that is where H and I stayed our last trip and she did say she'd like to try somewhere new. CSR would have been my second choice, but when I checked online today they only had a king bed rooms and junior suites available, neither of which is good for us. That would leave POR and CBR. Having stayed at POFQ many times I'm familiar with POR. The grounds are beautiful, but the bus service there can be a bit tough. I've never been on the grounds at CBR, but loved the pics that Heidi had posted from her trip report. I love the beachy theme of the place, and the fact that there is a lake. I'm not concerned about the large size of the resort in regards to walking around it, but am a bit concerned about bus service. With a moderate stay, again I'd be away from the MK area and I'd also be giving up my balcony, but to be honest now that this isn't a solo trip any longer I'm not looking forward to the balcony as much. I'm not sure I'll get to enjoy it as much while with my friend.

So my choices are such:
1) No change. Just suck it up with the ADRs and keep with a split stay. I could still get lucky and get everything I want.
2) Pay more and stay at the WL with a courtyard view for the week.
3) Be a bit inconvienced and stay at the AKL for the week, but get to keep my balcony.
4) Give up the balcony, and the convience and stay at CBR for the week. On the plus side, save more money for the next trip(s).

Let me know what you think! I'd love to get some thoughts from people who have stayed at some of these places. Any pros or con's I'm not thinking of?

Isnt Up the best? I just love, love, love Dug! "I do not like the cone of shame." :rotfl:

Okay, if it were me I would do CBR for the entire trip and save money for my next trip. Because 2 is more than 1. You know you like moderates and so why not. I would take 2 trips at a moderate or value over just one trip at a deluxe. Thats just me though. Probably the only time in my life I would choose quantity of over quality. :laughing:

This is just me. But the thought of packing up and moving resorts in the middle of my vacation is just to much for me. I am all about relaxation on my vacations and for me it just doesnt sound fun. But, if you dont mind this than a spit stay might work for you and let you experience 2 places.

Two additional Disney trips sound wonderful!! :cloud9:

But I don't envy you having to make those decisions on your resort!! I have a difficult time with deciding for my trip as well! I think staying in one place is preferrable to a split stay. But where? I think standard view at AKL might not give you so much enjoyment in your balcony... Have you considered a pool view room? They are only 5 $ more per night and have much nicer views. We stayed in pool view rooms twice and I never missed the savanna, there are so many viewing areas! CBR sounds interesting, I am thinking about that one, too. I think it looks so relaxing and it has hammocks!! I think I have read somewhere that the bus takes 8 min to circle the resort before it heads off to the parks.

I would ditch the split stay. Moving the 2 of you sounds like more hassle than when it was just you.

In order, this is what I'd do...
#1 keep trying for WL for the full week....I like it for you for the ease in transportation
#2 go all Pop for the week....not so much need for the deluxe touches now that you aren't going solo. And Pop will save you the most money
#3 go all week at CBR...more relaxing than Pop....still saves money over WL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter