• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(Long) Terrible experience with Delta this weekend!

I fly Delta all the time and I have to say the Delta Express people and Comair people in Atlanta are USELESS! (and I like Delta!) They have pulled some real stupid moves on me. As far as I can tell they have NO idea what customer service is (or how to board a plane for that matter, but that is a different deal!) I have complained, but I think the airlines have faced so many problems that they have never dealt with the problems they got with the aquisistion of Delta Express.

I am willing to BET the people going to New Orleans missed thier flights. Flight attendants always give that speech, planes are almost never held! And the thirty minutes for your paperwork is actually normal. Unless you are flying from a Delta hub they are contracting the maintenance. If they contract from another airline (ie American) the other airline always comes first, plus the paperwork is a BEAR!

Now, to give you a Delta upside story. I flew back from Paris France today. Since the Air Traffic Controllers went on strike yesterday things were a little confused today. (Lots more people wanting to fly home than seats!) When I got on the plane there was a man in my seat. I pushed the flight attendant call button and she took both boarding passes and YEP we had the same seat. (The man began fussing that he HAD to have this seat in order to sit next to his wife, he had the seat booked on yesterday's seat, etc... It was an exit row seat which explains his desire! More leg room. I just kind of stood there and listened to this rant.)

Flight Attendant goes away, comes back and hands me my new boarding pass. I am now in row 10 BUSINESS CLASS! Yes!!! Much nicer flight. Who knows, the man might have been upgraded if he had kept his mouth shut, but I will take it! (I was on an INCREDIBLY cheap fare too!)

Something about that flight with Delta struck another stressful memory-When we were coming in for a landing, I was really hoping we had made it. The flight attendant announced that there were several people who were late or were rushing to catch a plane. Would everyone else stay in their seats until the people needing to rush had a chance to deplane??? Well, everyone, and I mean everyone, disregarded that announcement. At the time it really irritated me and added to the stress of that flight. I really, really hope it doesn't happen again.

Pnelson,
It won't happen again, I have not heard that announcement in quite a while. Someone asked the flight attendant on one flight and she said they quit making it because no one paid any attention and it just resulted in yelling matches between customers

Dodie's experience as well as others I've read about on these boards are specifically why we've decided to fly out a day early and stay at a hotel near MCO, and the following morning check in to our WDW resort. We've chosen a direct flight, but even so, there's always the possibility of flight changes. Due to the expense of our vacation, we're just not willing to take a chance that our first day plans will be ruined. I agree that both sides should be heard. I understand that weather and mechanical problems can arise. The point is how those situations are handled by the airlines, and what kind of attitude is portrayed. An apology and a sincere effort to at least offer a valid option cheerfully given goes a long way in appeasing a righteously disgruntled passenger. It's not just the service rendered that counts, it's the manner in which it is rendered that matters as well.

I had a similar nightmarish experience with American Airlines two days before Thanksgiving a few years ago.
I know how bad it can be.
I ended up writing and complaining to everyone and anyone, from the FAA on up.
I got a full refund from AA. (Whoopie. Had I wanted my money back, I wouldn't have booked in the first place 4.5 months prior to Thanksgiving.)
Mine wasn't from bad weather either. That you can understand, although it would be frustrating. I never did get a reason other than they were behind schedule.
The only compensation I wanted was a Sorry and an explanation. I never did get that. After writing to the CEO of AA, I was begrudingly sent a $100 voucher. But no apology or explanation.
Yes, I used the voucher. But I will stay put before ever using AA again.
Write DOT for certain. They won't help. But your complaint does go into a data base when the government and media look at these figures on factors of bad flights, etc.
Someone on this board even suggested I write to Fodor's. But I didn't do that.

Sorry you were treated this way.:(
As far as the paperwork...paperwork rules the airlines, mostly at the requirement of the FAA. The paperwork must be in order verifing that the repairs were done properly, per the correct procedures, everything signed off, etc. It may have taken 30 minutes for the paperwork, although some of that may have also been ATC clearance or something else.
Agree totally! As an Airline Pilot now medically retired every i must be dotted and t crossed. We must double and triple check all paperwork. If not each time that aircraft flies no matter how safe it will be in violation. This can add up to the multimillion dollar fines you sometimes read about. Not all because of unsafe parts but due to paperwork errors. Also each pilot(even though the Captain is in charge of paperwork) who operates the plane is subject to violation and subsequent further training. If the plane is at an outstation, sometimes paperwork must be faxed back and forth to a main maintainence base epsecially if the mechanics are subcontracted. There can be any number of reasons for delays. Only certain mechanics can do certain signoffs. Trying not to make excuses. It can be very aggravating for us up front as well when paperwork delays happen.

As a passenger in the back now just like everyone else who flies frequently, I see a lot of crazy stuff happen in the terminals and I admit it can get very frustrating at times. Once again sorry about your experience. Mike

We flew Delta last December. The flights operated by Delta were great but the flights operated by Comair left something to be desired. I am not surprised by the attitude you got from the Comair representative. I had a similar experience.
Let's just say 19 hours after our flight was suppose to take off, we ended up at an airport 90 minutes from where we were supposed to land.

I'd rather pay a little more to fly other airlines.

Boy am I nervous about my upcoming trip. Guess which carrier I am using????? I got an awesome deal through Delta and maybe now I know why. We are flying to Orlando from San Francisco with a stopover in Cincinnati. Let's hope Delta has picked up their act a bit!! I'll try and think positive thoughts!

Dizzy Laura

I wouldn't be nervous. I think everyone here could pick an airline they never would fly on again, and probably for very valid reasons.
We flew to MCO once with a stopover in Cincinnati. (Our first WDW trip a few years back.)
It was uneventful. And actually the Comair (small) crew were very friendly. (Puddlejumper to and from Cincinnati from Omaha.)
We didn't have any bad experiences. But there were four of us adults traveling and we all noticed they didn't seem as good as other airlines we have used. (I think we all thought the same, but didn't really compare notes until awhile after the trip and found out we all were thinking the same at the time. ;) )
Delta was like the Mears shuttle -- they got us there and back, which was the most important thing. ;) Nothing bad, nothing good. Just in the middle.

Originally posted by DizzyLaura
Boy am I nervous about my upcoming trip. Guess which carrier I am using????? I got an awesome deal through Delta and maybe now I know why. We are flying to Orlando from San Francisco with a stopover in Cincinnati. Let's hope Delta has picked up their act a bit!! I'll try and think positive thoughts!

Dizzy Laura

Try not to stress over it, Dizzy Laura. A thread very similar to this one could be started for ANY of the major airlines. I've flown Delta a lot over the years and it usually goes smoothly. A plus for you is the change of planes in Cincinnatti. . .it is best to avoid Atlanta if possible.

Peggy

Every airlines has some horror stories especially in this economy and with bad weather etc...

We have never had a problem so far with either AA or Delta (knock on wood!!!!!!!).

People don't usually post their 'great' airline experience; just the bad.

Same with other issues like resorts. You'll see people upset of negative posts about a resort (nervous now about staying there) but there's probably thousands of happy guests who just don't post their positive experiences...it's all relative.

It can be so tough getting out of Atlanta especially when it gets later in the day. CSRs are there to help you and if one is not being cooperative you need to demand to talk to another. There were many more options that weren't presented to you that night, such as flying into Melbourne and driving to WDW (only a one hour drive). There is one late departing flight to MLB that ALWAYS has open seats. And during the time frame that you were waiting there were actually two flights to MLB. Delta should have informed you of this. Please include this information in your letter.

I think the problems started when you were sent to the COMAIR counter as Delta can book ASA and Comair flights but I don't think it can work the other way around. I'm really not sure how the computer system is set up in ATL.

Please let us know what Delta has to say.

I love the commuter terminal at Cincinatti! If you are on two commuter flights, you should have a great connection there!

However, if you have to take the bus either to or from the main terminal, it is slightly less convenient.

We have also had problems with delta. On the return fight from disney to CT the plane actually left early!!! Now when is a plane ever on time let alone early? We were in the airport but with all the noise we could not hear are names being paged. We had checked our luggage curbside and knew it was already on the plane. We had bought alot of souvenirs in the bags ( never doing that again)We were worried what was going to happen to it when it got to Ct and nobody was there to pick it up. We went up to the delta desk and asked what we were sopose to do next. Well the man looked at us like we had just crawled out of a sewer. He sighed heaviely and proceeded to talk to us in the most degrading tone. I truly thought my father was going to jump over the counter and punch him. I am not saying the airline should have done anything for us it was are fault that we missed the plane. But to have a CSR talk to us the way that man talked to us there is no excuse for it. :mad:

Sounds like a nightmare trip! I'm so sorry to hear of your inconvenience and vacation disruption! Best of luck with Delta!

Muffy

You're supposed to be at the gate at least 10 minutes before the flight. Did the plane leave that early? Was there a minor schedule change you weren't aware of? What did the departure board say? That said your situation is not unheard of and the CSR should have been more helpful.

BTW SW says the lack of assigned seats motivates the people to get to the gate EARLY so the planes leave on time (or even a few minutes early). If all the passengers showed up at the 10 minute mark the plane could no be ready to leave on time.

Originally posted by MandaPerry
We have also had problems with delta. On the return fight from disney to CT the plane actually left early!!! Now when is a plane ever on time let alone early? We were in the airport but with all the noise we could not hear are names being paged. We had checked our luggage curbside and knew it was already on the plane. We had bought alot of souvenirs in the bags ( never doing that again)We were worried what was going to happen to it when it got to Ct and nobody was there to pick it up. We went up to the delta desk and asked what we were sopose to do next. Well the man looked at us like we had just crawled out of a sewer. He sighed heaviely and proceeded to talk to us in the most degrading tone. I truly thought my father was going to jump over the counter and punch him. I am not saying the airline should have done anything for us it was are fault that we missed the plane. But to have a CSR talk to us the way that man talked to us there is no excuse for it. :mad:

...which Delta is required by law to furnish upon request. The very rude woman at the gate said she didn't have one, and I asked if she could please get me a copy. She said she would call down and get one. She LIED - she called security on me. The sheriff came to the gate and asked what kind of disturbance I was causing. They could tell by my demeanor and dress (uh, Disneyland sweats) that I was not causing a disturbance. I told them what I had requested, and the the Delta agent had told me she was getting it for me, but had in fact called them instead. They just rolled their eyes and I told them I was sorry they had been troubled. They were very nice about it, and the pilot came out to apologize to me, but the Delta agent was fuming. What a way to start a WDW vacation...but we had fun anyway!!! :p

Originally posted by macs4us
...which Delta is required by law to furnish upon request. The very rude woman at the gate said she didn't have one, and I asked if she could please get me a copy. She said she would call down and get one. She LIED - she called security on me. The sheriff came to the gate and asked what kind of disturbance I was causing. They could tell by my demeanor and dress (uh, Disneyland sweats) that I was not causing a disturbance. I told them what I had requested, and the the Delta agent had told me she was getting it for me, but had in fact called them instead. They just rolled their eyes and I told them I was sorry they had been troubled. They were very nice about it, and the pilot came out to apologize to me, but the Delta agent was fuming. What a way to start a WDW vacation...but we had fun anyway!!! :p

Don't stop there? Then what happened? Did you get it?

Originally posted by cpl100
Don't stop there? Then what happened? Did you get it?

Sorry - I've been out of town (flew Jetblue though - they were great as usual).

No, they never provided the Contract of Carriage. I should have reported them, but I decided to let it go - I just wanted to enjoy my trip, and have not flown them since. But, it was very akward getting on the plane, as the agent who had been rude followed me onto the plane and began whispering to the flight attendants and pointing at me. I was as sweet as punch to them during the flight, but overall service to my party was lacking in comparison to other around us (they basically ignored my husband when he asked for water and such).

We'll just stick with Jetblue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter