Long Island Medium

It's cold reading, it takes certain skills, but not incredible intellect or anything. The audience cohorts are pretty standard for anyone gets big enough to have entire audiences.

As to 'she's just a simple housewife who couldn't come up with that crazy stuff!' I'm sure that'd be what someone who did this would want people to think about them. If she's just a simple housewife, etc., seems strange she'd come up with a scheme to charge people for this "service" and get the word out by approaching strangers. Schtick.

You'll never convince me that it isn't real. Oh, I'm sure there are fakes out there, but I think she's the real deal. I met John Edwards. My friend and I talked to no one prior to his readings. He nailed the fact that she had just lost her mother. He told her things no one could have known but us. He did not fish for information. He simply started telling her things. I totally believe that he is for real.

Java.may I ask: previous to the "portal" house.were you open or sensitive to things of a paranormal nature? If so,perhaps when you moved there you were open or sensitive to those things. I am pretty open and sensitive. Of course that doesn't mean I want the deceased to use me as a pbx board lol.but I have had a few expieriences,so I wouldn't feel a need to have someone read me.but I do believe some people have that gift. And yes people may think some give them closure,but I wouldn't want someone to be lying to me.

I don't believe any of these mediums or psychics are real at all. People want to believe that they can still communicate with their dead family members or friends so badly that they allow themselves to be deceived and even subconsciously participate in their own deception.

That is my take at least. Of course I have no idea if that is true but I detach the emotion from it and look at it logically and just don't see how it could be real.

I look at it the same way as when people say "your <insert loved one here> is looking down on you from heaven". I don't think so at all though I do believe in an afterlife. I always think why do they only look at events like your wedding or birth of your child? If they can see you then they can look down while you are sitting on the toilet or in bed with some chick. No thanks. Instead of thinking of that at some milestone in life think about it the next time you are trying that new thing in bed. Is it such a happy thought now? Once my dead ones are dead I don't want to even think that they can "look down on me" from anywhere. People really do have an uncanny ability to trick themselves into all kinds of irrational beliefs.

She does exactly when John Edwards does, right down to the fast talking, but I think she is much more annoying than he is :)

It's cold reading, it takes certain skills, but not incredible intellect or anything. The audience cohorts are pretty standard for anyone gets big enough to have entire audiences.

As to 'she's just a simple housewife who couldn't come up with that crazy stuff!' I'm sure that'd be what someone who did this would want people to think about them. If she's just a simple housewife, etc., seems strange she'd come up with a scheme to charge people for this "service" and get the word out by approaching strangers. Schtick.
I know what a cold reading is, and I don't think she's capable of it. I also know it could all be an act, or set up, but I don't think so.

Is she the real deal or a fake? I have no idea. I still enjoy watching the show. Is it all staged? I don't know, but as long as it entertains me, I'll watch the show. Just like here on the Dis, there are plenty of posters who would like us to believe they are someone they aren't, I'll still read their posts and replies because it's entertaining to me.

Java.may I ask: previous to the "portal" house.were you open or sensitive to things of a paranormal nature? If so,perhaps when you moved there you were open or sensitive to those things. I am pretty open and sensitive. Of course that doesn't mean I want the deceased to use me as a pbx board lol.but I have had a few expieriences,so I wouldn't feel a need to have someone read me.but I do believe some people have that gift. And yes people may think some give them closure,but I wouldn't want someone to be lying to me.

You know as a child I used to have weird stories when I slept that my parents always attributed to nightmares. I don't really recall anything other than the biggies at that house. (my dead Grandfather telling me not to take a train home the next day and there was as shooting on that train!)

I at first thought it was sleep deprivation that was causing it. It got to be a joke - like dh asking should we get ready for some visits today? Really I felt like a freak when it was going on I never thought of it as a "gift". It was creepy and I wanted it to stop.

Long Island is nuts. (sorry Long Islanders)

Is she the real deal or a fake? I have no idea. I still enjoy watching the show. Is it all staged? I don't know, but as long as it entertains me, I'll watch the show. Just like here on the Dis, there are plenty of posters who would like us to believe they are someone they aren't, I'll still read their posts and replies because it's entertaining to me.[/QUOTE]

:thumbsup2

Here is what I don't get and trust me I would like to believe in this stuff because it's cool. If these dead relatives are talking to Theresa and showing her all this stuff why can't they just say "Hey my name is Joe, my wife is Mary, tell her I said Hi" Why does it have to be in code?

The other thing is why is she nervous before a reading? If she was the real deal and dead people talk to her all the time it shouldn't be something to be nervous about. Same as why she is so astonished when she does get something right. That should be commonplace to her by now.

Here is what I don't get and trust me I would like to believe in this stuff because it's cool. If these dead relatives are talking to Theresa and showing her all this stuff why can't they just say "Hey my name is Joe, my wife is Mary, tell her I said Hi" Why does it have to be in code?
I can probably explain it. Spirits don't have bodies, or mouths, or voices. The way they communicate is to project images to the receiver, or medium, similar to the way java described it, though it is different for each receiver. The receiver has to receive them, and then interpret them. The reception process is known as clairvoyance (clear seeing), clairaudience (clear hearing), clairsentience (clear touching), clairalience (clear smelling), etc. As John Edward has explained, if he could get direct messages, it would be a lot easier and he would be more accurate. It takes many years of practice to learn to interpret these types of messages.

The other thing is why is she nervous before a reading? If she was the real deal and dead people talk to her all the time it shouldn't be something to be nervous about. Same as why she is so astonished when she does get something right. That should be commonplace to her by now.
My interpretation is that she gets nervous because she knows some people are going to think she's a kook, and she also knows how important the information she's sharing is going to be for the person. I imagine it's not easy to go up to a total stranger to deliver messages from a dead friend or relative. I think when she's in a scheduled venue, she doesn't appear very nervous.

I can probably explain it. Spirits don't have bodies, or mouths, or voices. The way they communicate is to project images to the receiver, or medium, similar to the way java described it, though it is different for each receiver. The receiver has to receive them, and then interpret them. The reception process is known as clairvoyance (clear seeing), clairaudience (clear hearing), clairsentience (clear touching), clairalience (clear smelling), etc. As John Edward has explained, if he could get direct messages, it would be a lot easier and he would be more accurate. It takes many years of practice to learn to interpret these types of messages.

My interpretation is that she gets nervous because she knows some people are going to think she's a kook, and she also knows how important the information she's sharing is going to be for the person. I imagine it's not easy to go up to a total stranger to deliver messages from a dead friend or relative. I think when she's in a scheduled venue, she doesn't appear very nervous.

But she has says plenty of times, yes he just told me he didn't suffer, or he just told me he's sorry, or it's all his fault, or don't feel guilty etc etc. Theresa says "they just told me".

But she has says plenty of times, yes he just told me he didn't suffer, or he just told me he's sorry, or it's all his fault, or don't feel guilty etc etc. Theresa says "they just told me".
It's possible she has a "symbol" for those things, such as a yellow rose, or a dove, as examples. I don't know. But here's what she says about it in her Bio on her website:

People ask me to describe the process of receiving information. Its hard for me to describe because I see, hear and feel things differently than we do in the physical world.
That's it.

As I said, she's simple. :laughing:

There isn't much available for her, but I've read accounts and bios of other mediums and what I've described above is how most describe it, or similar. There can be sounds and words, too, but I've heard it described as it's like being under water, i.e garbled, and difficult to "hear" (or probably more accurately, "feel"). I think the process is unique for each medium.

I don't know if the "psychic" aspect of this show is real or not but the "reality" show part seems definitely staged and even scripted. These are not actors and it's obvious when they are saying things they were coached to say, which seems to be most of the show, rather than just interacting naturally as a family. I don't buy her little outings as spontaneous, either. These restaurants, stores, gyms, all know she is coming. Those scenes are planned.

Now, the people she reads all seem genuine. Their interviews do not seem scripted at all. Whether they are reacting to a cold reading or a true psychic reading is up for debate but I don't think they are told what to say by the TLC producers. Her family, however, obviously is. Almost all interactions between the Cuputo family members seem completely scripted to me. And their lines are not very well delivered, either.

I think her family is cute and the stories behind many of her readings are touching but in the end it's just another TLC reality show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter