Locked out of Poly for honeymoon - what to do??

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to get the hotel that you wanted...especially for your honeymoon! Honestly though, AKL Savannah view is a magical choice.

It had always been my dream to stay at the Poly too, although we are huge fans of AKL. So in May of 2010 (I think?) we did a split stay between AKL and the Poly. Our room at the Poly was dirty, dark, and loud (we were on the first floor right next to an elevator). It was far from the paradise I had dreamed of. :(

its funny you say this....we are a Contemporary Resort family- have stayed there near a dozen times...i've always wanted to at least try the Poly despite the objections of my wife and daughter....recently someone at my club who stayed at the Poly had basically the same criticisms you posted...hence we are once again going back to the CR next month...

Just called again - Contemporary is also blocked out now, as is Beach Club.

So, unless we go below Deluxe level (we've only ever stayed at AoA, and loved it, but looking for a little more fanciness for this trip) we have -

AKL savannah room - obviously the big PROs there are the restaurants and the animal view. Con, I guess, is slightly longer transportation to the parks.

WL courtyard view - a few hundred bucks cheaper, on the lagoon, and a little closer to MK. Con to me seems like not so many great restaurants. How hard is it to get from WL to Poly, so we could still eat at Ohana and Kona Cafe?

Thanks again, guys, for your help.

BTW aaarcher - I grew up in (and still visit) Columbus/Westerville!! O-H!!

I-O!!! lol

We're actually right by that - right where Reynoldsburg/Pataskala/Blacklick/Gahanna all meet together! Small world!

Ugh, just got off the phone with CS - tried to switch my Poly reservation in October to the Armed Forces Salute, and the CM told me the Poly has already met its quota for AFS rooms and there aren't any left!!! I'm so sad! :(

We'll be there for a week in October - me, my fiance, and my 5-year old daughter for our "familymoon". We picked the Poly because we've never stayed there, it is SO convenient for afternoon breaks, and we wanted an amazing and special resort for our honeymoon that would also be cool for my daughter.

Now I'm debating what to do. Of course I'll call periodically to check for cancellations....but I probably ought to make another reservation in the mean time. Paying full price is just not an option.

So - what do you think?? I am definitely considering AK savannah view - they are available - but... I'm so worried about the transportation being a problem. We were so psyched for the monorail! How bad (slow) is the transportation really? We'll be visiting MK twice, the other 3 parks once each.

What do you all think about GF for kids?

I've heard Wilderness Lodge is pretty awesome theme-wise, but, again, transportation...?

What would you do? :confused3

Julie

Well, so far we've stayed at WL, AKL savannah view and Poly (where we thought would be our dream resort) Guess what this is the order of our favorites.
1. WL by a lot the boat ride to Mk was so nice & pretty short, bus ride to there was short as well.
2. Poly
3.AKL resort just seemed to be spread out way too much for my liking.

So, unless we go below Deluxe level (we've only ever stayed at AoA, and loved it, but looking for a little more fanciness for this trip) we have -

AKL savannah room - obviously the big PROs there are the restaurants and the animal view. Con, I guess, is slightly longer transportation to the parks.

WL courtyard view - a few hundred bucks cheaper, on the lagoon, and a little closer to MK. Con to me seems like not so many great restaurants. How hard is it to get from WL to Poly, so we could still eat at Ohana and Kona Cafe?

We've stayed at both WL and AKL and IMO, you can't go wrong with either one. WL is great as it's convenient to MK via boat and the bus transportation (in our experience) has always been great. Plus you can take the boat to the CR where you can hop on the monorail to go to the Poly.

AKL is also a great resort. I wouldn't worry too much about the transportation. Even though AKL is out away from everything, we didn't find the buses to be bad at all. It didn't take more than about 5 extra minutes to get to the parks compared to other resorts. Since the buses only go to AKL and Kidani, there's no sharing with any other resort(s).

We've had great stays at both resorts and wouldn't hesitate to stay at either one again. I would choose the one that appeals to you the most and then keep checking to see if something opens up at the Poly. Good luck :).

sorry to hear that you cant get the resort you wanted. i hope that you will get it if you keep calling. if not though, all the resorts are special. we have stayed at and enjoyed in addition to the Polynesian...cr, blt, bc, bc villas, boardwalk, akl, akl villas both kidani and jambo house and okw. gf seems like a great fit with a 5 year old girl.

sounds like that discount is booking up quick! i would book what i wanted from whats available and then keep trying to get the Polynesian. i am sure you will have a great time regardless of where you stay.

WWID? I'd keep trying, of course, and keep my fingers crossed, but if not, I would consider WL Concierge. :goodvibes

I would do WL! It's a boat ride from MK and so cozy and romantic (especially in October!). To get to poly is fairly easy...hop on the boat to MK and hop on the monorail or other boat! I'm not sure if there is a boat that goes to all 4 resorts, someone will need to verify but I think there might be!

Went ahead and booked at WL - sounds like we will love it there, too! Aside from easy monorail access, I don't think we'll be disappointed at all if we end up staying there.

Thanks again, everyone - you are all so very helpful!!! :hug:

I'm not sure which I'm more excited for - the wedding or the disneymoon!!! :yay:

Went ahead and booked at WL - sounds like we will love it there, too! Aside from easy monorail access, I don't think we'll be disappointed at all if we end up staying there.

I'm not sure which I'm more excited for - the wedding or the disneymoon!!! :yay:

You won't regret it. The WL is beautiful and romantic, IMO, and is a great place for a honeymoon :goodvibes.

Thanks again, guys, for your help.

BTW aaarcher - I grew up in (and still visit) Columbus/Westerville!! O-H!!

I see you picked WL. I have never stayed at WL, but ate at Whispering Canyon as part of a tour. WL is a beautiful resort, hope you love it!

You are going to absolutely love the WL. It is my favorite resort and am going to be there for my upcoming trip the end of November-beginning of December. The boat ride to the MK is so relaxing and convenient, there is a quick boat ride to the CR and access to the monorail, and the theming of the resort is awesome. Your breath will be taken the first time you walk into the lobby. Congrats on the upcoming wedding and the Disneymoon at the WL.:thumbsup2

Have you considered the SOG? It's right near the poly so you could easily eat there and the rooms are very large. You should get a good price too.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter