Limiting DVC Discounts???

gchiker

Can't get enough of the Mouse
It seems that in order to get a DVC discount you must show your membership card. But aftermarket purchases don't get membership cards. Am I viewing this accurately? Is this another incentive to buy direct from Disney? What do add-on points cost these days, direct from Disney? Is there a minimum number one must buy?

Yes, buying direct...100 point minimum...will give you membership perks, including merchandise, dining and AP discounts, as well as being able to attend member events,

Resale does not get the discounts.

But it is very hard to make up resale"s savings in souvie purchases. I would never tell someone to buy direct for merch discounts. The math doesn't work.

Aside from going to Universal we never leave the parks we eat at all the on property restaurants and we buy merchandise which over a long period of time I would think there is a savings.
No, I won't do the math I am sure there are many others here who will do it for me but it would add up.

I would like to add had I bought direct BC/BWV and sold it for a profit, no doubt many did, then added in the total savings of AP discounts and merchandise discounts well would I be a lottery winner? So does buying direct pay ask some of the lottery winners there are quite a few. 😉

Last edited:

It seems that in order to get a DVC discount you must show your membership card. But aftermarket purchases don't get membership cards. Am I viewing this accurately? Is this another incentive to buy direct from Disney? What do add-on points cost these days, direct from Disney? Is there a minimum number one must buy?
Where did you hear this? I have resale and have gotten discounts at restaurants and merchandise. When they ask I show them a screen shot of my membership card(White one)

Where did you hear this? I have resale and have gotten discounts at restaurants and merchandise. When they ask I show them a screen shot of my membership card(White one)
White Card holders aren’t supposed to have access to any Membership Extras which the discounts are a part of. Most things the White Card entitles you to is what is written on the card (Pool Hopping, DVD Rentals, and TOTWL). So I would say if you are always getting the discounts you have been lucky the CMs haven’t been following protocol.

Aside from going to Universal we never leave the parks we eat at all the on property restaurants and we buy merchandise which over a long period of time I would think there is a savings.
No, I won't do the math I am sure there are many others here who will do it for me but it would add up.

I would like to add had I bought direct BC/BWV and sold it for a profit, no doubt many did, then added in the total savings of AP discounts and merchandise discounts well would I be a lottery winner? So does buying direct pay ask some of the lottery winners there are quite a few. 😉
I have no idea what the lottery analogy means.
Just having an AP will get you those merchandise and dining discounts, so you really need to add that to the math you aren't doing.

Just having an AP will get you those merchandise and dining discounts, so you really need to add that to the math you aren't doing.

A discount on the AP membership was a significant reason for me to buy direct (among other things). I save a considerable amount every year just on the AP, which I wouldn't be able to get because i'm not from Florida.

Implying that only direct purchasers would have made a profit is also not accurate. Once you add in yearly MF costs, I would venture a guess that people who bought resale at an extreme discount in 2008-2009, still got to benefit from the benefits that direct buyers got, and then sold for a huge profit just now came out ahead more than direct buyers from the late 90's.

We weighed that decision, and since we have a Disney Visa and already get discounts for that, it isn’t worth it to us. We are saving $5,500 buying SSR resale with a loaded contract (if it passes ROFR). We plan to buy 100 more points resale in about 1-1.5 years, so we will save so much, the discounts aren’t worth it. But we also buy other things used to save money like cars.

Implying that only direct purchasers would have made a profit is also not accurate. Once you add in yearly MF costs, I would venture a guess that people who bought resale at an extreme discount in 2008-2009, still got to benefit from the benefits that direct buyers got, and then sold for a huge profit just now came out ahead more than direct buyers from the late 90's.

It's true that some resale buyers make a profit, but the OP is asking about buying direct. I had no reason to add resale to the equation so you're wrong because I never implied otherwise.

Lottery winner = someone who wins unexpected money.
Buy a timeshare use it for ten years get discounts for ten years then sell at more than initial investment of monies = lottery winner no math needed

The AP discount is significant for those it makes sense for, but even those people should evaluate the cost benefit and period of ROI.

If you save $5500 on resale - very possible for several resorts at 100 points - that is $55,000 in merch and dining you would need discounted, versus an immediate usable savings of $5500 that could be invested or used productively for current returns. If you finance, you also have to pay more interest.

$5500 on APs is made up more quickly but it depends on your number per year bought, and risk tolerance that the discount continues at similar rate as offered today, plus the whole hyperinflation of park tickets. Discount as a percentage of AP cost has declined as Disney hikes price.

It's true that some resale buyers make a profit, but the OP is asking about buying direct. I had no reason to add resale to the equation so you're wrong because I never implied otherwise.

Yes, but when responding to their post, you must consider this question that they wrote:

Is this another incentive to buy direct from Disney?

Implying that direct ownership = winning the lottery without mentioning that resale ownership also could have is misleading.

Yes, but when responding to their post, you must consider this question that they wrote:

Implying that direct ownership = winning the lottery without mentioning that resale ownership also could have is misleading.

Ben you're looking for a fight where there isn't one. He is asking about benefits and incentives for buying direct not resale you've even quoted it yourself above but can't seem to understand what is being asked.

Answer his question at hand don't attack the replies.

Ben you're looking for a fight where there isn't one. He is asking about benefits and incentives for buying direct not resale you've even quoted it yourself above but can't seem to understand what is being asked.

Answer his question at hand don't attack the replies.

Not trying to fight. Just trying to point out that including resale value in your analysis is not an automatic win when it comes to buying direct. Yes, there are some benefits when it comes to it, but Disney has obviously worked things in their favor.
If you plan on going yearly, then the only real financial benefit it the AP one, because as was mentioned, the other discounts double with the AP one. If you plan on just buying daily passes, eating on property all the time, and buying tons of merchandise, then you really should do a basic financial analysis because the current difference between 100 direct or resale points is around $6000. That would mean spending $30,000 on food and merchandise just to break even.

Not trying to fight. Just trying to point out that including resale value in your analysis is not an automatic win when it comes to buying direct. Yes, there are some benefits when it comes to it, but Disney has obviously worked things in their favor.
If you plan on going yearly, then the only real financial benefit it the AP one, because as was mentioned, the other discounts double with the AP one. If you plan on just buying daily passes, eating on property all the time, and buying tons of merchandise, then you really should do a basic financial analysis because the current difference between 100 direct or resale points is around $6000. That would mean spending $30,000 on food and merchandise just to break even.

Ben that's all well and fine many threads here push the resale benefit in money savings all day long. He was specifically asking about buying direct. It would be hard for me to believe he isn't aware of resale given he's been to Disney umpteen times, has been a member since 2004 on this site and probably is a resale owner currently.

The AP discount is significant for those it makes sense for, but even those people should evaluate the cost benefit and period of ROI.

If you save $5500 on resale - very possible for several resorts at 100 points - that is $55,000 in merch and dining you would need discounted, versus an immediate usable savings of $5500 that could be invested or used productively for current returns. If you finance, you also have to pay more interest.

$5500 on APs is made up more quickly but it depends on your number per year bought, and risk tolerance that the discount continues at similar rate as offered today, plus the whole hyperinflation of park tickets. Discount as a percentage of AP cost has declined as Disney hikes price.

We save well over $800 a year just on the AP for two adults. When I factor in memory maker (which of course is included in AP) savings every trip it quickly jumps. Our kids will soon be old enough to require APs so our savings again will increase.

I haven’t even considered discounts on dining and merchandise but it certainly adds up over the years.

A big part of our decision is that we are Canadian and thus can’t get Disney Credit Card or other products that allow us to take advantage of discounts. We also wanted access to future resorts but it’s hard to place any real value on that.

I don’t knock anyone buying resale though because the savings can definitely be substantial. If the discounts provided no real benefit then resale would be the way to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!