Lightning Pass and more Virtual Queues-How does it all affect you as a DVC Member?

Not necessarily. True, DVC is a captive audience, but that works both ways. If DVC is full of members taking resort only trips or worse, using their rooms as springboards to Universal, there’s nothing Disney can do but watch those opportunities for more income float away.

They can take away much, and reduce the experience greatly, but what they can not do is reduce the absolute right of members to use the facilities. A DVC membership that doesn’t consume the product would be devastating.

We may be a captive audience, but we also hold captive a large chunk of on-site spending potential.

This is one of the ways DVC has miscalculated on their view of resales, in my opinion. Or rather, it’s silo thinking. DVD believes that because resales make them no money, they are horrible tolerances that detract from their direct sales. Nothing could be further from reality:

DVC resales replace tired (non-spending) owners with new owners eager to throw their dollars at the mouse. That’s a great benefit to Disney if not DVC.

But to the point, Disney can’t just replace disaffected DVC members because we still own the keys to the buildings. The issue isn’t whether we’ll come, it’s whether will spend money at the mouse - and how much - while we’re here.

Catering to the DVC crowd isn’t bad business - it really comes down to whom is holding whom hostage?
This is very true, if DVC members en mass start doing resort stays and going to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Legoland, etc. Instead of Disney, Disney would have to reevaluate things.

For example, I will admit we are tempted to take a day or two and do Universal on our trip in about a week just because we don't have to wear masks there at all. That is up to two days of lost revenue for Disney. We are even considering a day at SeaWorld since we have Platinum passes for the one by us which gets us in there and again no masks required at any time.

Now a single party doing this for two or three days isn't making a huge dent, but if 80% of those staying at DVC did so, it becomes a bigger issue. Now what if that 80% decided not to do Disney at all because they can't get APs, but can for Universal, etc. And you can see where it really would become a problem for Disney.

This is very true, if DVC members en mass start doing resort stays and going to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, Legoland, etc. Instead of Disney, Disney would have to reevaluate things.

For example, I will admit we are tempted to take a day or two and do Universal on our trip in about a week just because we don't have to wear masks there at all. That is up to two days of lost revenue for Disney. We are even considering a day at SeaWorld since we have Platinum passes for the one by us which gets us in there and again no masks required at any time.

Now a single party doing this for two or three days isn't making a huge dent, but if 80% of those staying at DVC did so, it becomes a bigger issue. Now what if that 80% decided not to do Disney at all because they can't get APs, but can for Universal, etc. And you can see where it really would become a problem for Disney.

Just the change in ticket pricing with no where near as large of a discount for more days and the shortened time period to use them has opened up Universal and Sea World when we're there with a family group. Previously a comparison of say $50 for the day at WDW vs Universal for $120 was tough for many to consider. Good thing Universal continues their expansions. :teeth: I'm happy to get over there and to Sea World whenever our groups are up for it.

Just the change in ticket pricing with no where near as large of a discount for more days and the shortened time period to use them has opened up Universal and Sea World when we're there with a family group. Previously a comparison of say $50 for the day at WDW vs Universal for $120 was tough for many to consider. Good thing Universal continues their expansions. :teeth: I'm happy to get over there and to Sea World whenever our groups are up for it.
I haven't been to Orlando Sea World in ages. It was always nicer than San Antonio's. But if it is anything like San Antonio's SeaWorld, after all the changes not only to the Orca shows, but other animal educational centers and shows, it is no longer worth the money.

My kids literally grew up in WDW with twice a year trips and even separate trips with each kid where they 'designed' their own experience. We always rented a car and my only requirement was that 1 meal was eaten off site as I always thought Disney food was ridiculously priced for mediocre quality. The airfare was a large chunk of the cost and for park passes we bounced around from annual passes to multi day hoppers/water parks.

Fast forward almost 20 years my DS is going in Dec with his 2 young daughters. I just booked them into SS for 3 nights. We tried to get them in other resorts but that required cash res for 1-2 nights. The cost of those nights was $900-$1200/night + tax. He questioned how the average family could even think of going on a Disney vacation. He hadn't even looked at cost of park passes yet! Add in food/mech and I am sure he will be blown away. While he fortunately has the means to do this trip Disney has certainly priced itself prohibitively beyond reach of the average American.

The sad consequence is that while my grand daughters will experience Disney it will be a very infrequent visit instead of twice a year.

Charging for fast passes under any scheme is a complete non starter for me. Admission is already crazily priced. Resort only stays are looking better and better with every price increase and experience decrease. Disney is trying to dig even deeper into our pockets and as a result the great majority of our Disney experiences are behind us save for an occasional visit with the grand children!

I'm not paying for ride passes in any form.

I don't mind virtual cues.

I am going to miss ME a lot. . . . it made the trips soooooo easy. I stress a lot in airports. I'm horrible to fly with, ever since I missed a flight 15 years ago. lol

We are just not going back right now. Should be there today actually. Cx'ed it. Booked for new year's. cx'ed it. Planned rebooking. none in sight. . . beach twice this year and a new loaded up bass boat for myself to share with my family. I am much much happier on the water and away from people I learned last year.

Does DVC value me as a member. I assume no.

Does Disney value me as a DVC member. A hard no.

Disney started to die for me when WDCC's was scrapped years ago. That collection made me so happy and they took it from us.

Sorry for the negative post. Once I'm on the water tomorrow catching fish I'll be happy again. This thread kinda bummed me out.
Virtual ques are a problem for people like me and my wife. Neither of us has a smartphone. Nor do we want one. How are folks like us able to access such attractions?

I feel its a value because you don't have to worry about reserving in advance anymore, you won't have a set FP limit & it gives guest flexibility.

Except I don't wait in lines already more than 15-30 mins for pretty much the whole week. My issue is that parks are too crowded.

Disney should be be significantly increasing offsite ticket costs and severely limiting park reservations for offsite as well. On site they should increase hotel prices for.

They already have FL AP vs AP so they should have Onsite Tickets vs Offsite Ticket costs.

Virtual ques are a problem for people like me and my wife. Neither of us has a smartphone. Nor do we want one. How are folks like us able to access such attractions?

It could be booked at the FP+ kiosks or on your computer before coming to the park.

In the end though while virtual queues sounds nice really the primary issue is to crowded of parks and too many people trying to ride a ride.

I agree with you, except that it has taken away from regular customers. I was fine with fireworks/parades dessert parties, before they all started taking the prime viewing areas. And extra hours at night used to be free; and now they cost a premium. That’s the one that hurts us the most. My husband and sons are NOT morning people. Getting them out of the hotel room before 10am is nothing short of a miracle. The extra hour in the morning meant nothing to us, but the extra evening hours were priceless, because 6pm-midnight was when they’d rather be in the parks. Now you need park admission AND pay extra for those hours, even as a resort guest.
My family feels the same way. My husband and teenage and adult kids used to go to MK for the free extra evening hours. We would all go for a couple of hours during the day, go rest or get something to eat, or get in the pool, they would then go back at night to ride their favorite rides.
That extra half hour in am that they are going to offer, means nothing to us.

I have always felt that Disney/DVC "used" the pandemic to discontinue or change things that they've wanted to for some time now. Disney is still seeing park reservations sell out, hotel reservations book up, etc. with restrictions still in place. They will keep raising the ceiling (less for more) and gauge the public response. Once the public says enough is enough, I won't go to Disney, go on their cruise or buy into DVC...then Disney will lower the ceiling. But if they can charge more with less crowds, why wouldn't they do it,?

It could be booked at the FP+ kiosks or on your computer before coming to the park.

In the end though while virtual queues sounds nice really the primary issue is to crowded of parks and too many people trying to ride a ride.
if they don't have smartphones I highly doubt they are going to be carrying a computer in their car with a hotspot.

my parents don't use smartphones either. they still roll with flip phones. and that is fine. and that's why we take them with us and all they have to do daily is just show up. we take care of everything.

if they don't have smartphones I highly doubt they are going to be carrying a computer in their car with a hotspot.

my parents don't use smartphones either. they still roll with flip phones. and that is fine. and that's why we take them with us and all they have to do daily is just show up. we take care of everything.

Except Star Wars already has a form of a virtual line so that is the computer part. Then when you get to the park you have the old FP+ kiosks.

No one said anything about a computer and hotspot in a car.

Except Star Wars already has a form of a virtual line so that is the computer part. Then when you get to the park you have the old FP+ kiosks.

No one said anything about a computer and hotspot in a car.
you they did.

"It could be booked at the FP+ kiosks or on your computer before coming to the park."

The issue is too few rides.

We'll be there this month, and we're doing the same. So there ya go. There are at least 2 of us.

We'll be there this month, and we're doing the same. So there ya go. There are at least 2 of us.

Its interesting to me as obviously more and more people have been doing this over the years.

Youd think a normal response would be for Disney to offer more reasons for people to want to stay (ie. Shows and rides) but instead it seems they have resigned themselves to just raising the prices to make up for that gap.

you they did.

"It could be booked at the FP+ kiosks or on your computer before coming to the park."

Exactly I never said a laptop and hotspot in your car. Laptop or PC back in your hotel/home/rental home that morning before going to the park. Its no different than getting a boarding pass today. EDIT: Boarding pass is only done via the app so you would need have a cell/tablet with the app or do a work around to get the phone app on a laptop/pc.

The issue is too few rides.

Okay but the other person was asking how they could access attractions if they didn't have a cell phone. I was just outlining there is already a system that was in place for FP+ and boarding groups. So the obstacle is not exactly the group without cell phones.

In the end not everyone will be able to ride everything unless they lower park capacity and/or extend park hours.

Last edited:
Exactly I never said a laptop and hotspot in your car. Laptop or PC back in your hotel/home/rental home that morning before going to the park. Its no different than getting a boarding pass today.

Okay but the other person was asking how they could access attractions if they didn't have a cell phone. I was just outlining there is already a system that was in place for FP+ and boarding groups. So the obstacle is not exactly the group without cell phones.

In the end not everyone will be able to ride everything unless they lower park capacity and/or extend park hours.
Except virtual queues (not boarding pass rides) have to be booked while in the parks throughout the day and you come back in say 30 minutes after booking and if they do it like DLR, there is no way to book them without a smartphone. Just not possible at all.

Except virtual queues (not boarding pass rides) have to be booked while in the parks throughout the day and you come back in say 30 minutes after booking and if they do it like DLR, there is no way to book them without a smartphone. Just not possible at all.

At WDW FP+ could be added and modified in parks from a park kiosk. They can very easily use those kiosks for any virtual line system they choose to roll out.

So yes there is a way to make this very possible and I would suspect if they switched to a virtual line system they would repurpose those machines long term or come up with some new system. There is a big difference between DL and WDW in who the park crowd is so they have to account for that.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter