Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I always love older styling, but that being said I go for the whole flow of the place rather than specific styling. When I got my first apartment, there were some places that had really weird flow that I just couldn’t make work - for example one charming place the front door opened right into the kitchen, that was carpeted... it just didn’t make sense to me so I didn’t go with it.

Also agree that generally newer buildings are nicer from a maintenance perspective.

Good luck, hope you love whichever one you pick!

I think I like the ‘charm’ of older houses, but I currently live in a house that is just over 60 years old. Maintenance-wise, I really would like a newer more modern house at this point, but my old house/low mortgage payment lets me afford to run all the Disney I want. 😁
My house is almost 100 years old (I think) so I can definitely relate to that. It's a nice house but something always needs to be fixed.
And lower rent (aka more money for Disney) is definitely a factor in my decision.

I always love older styling, but that being said I go for the whole flow of the place rather than specific styling. When I got my first apartment, there were some places that had really weird flow that I just couldn’t make work - for example one charming place the front door opened right into the kitchen, that was carpeted... it just didn’t make sense to me so I didn’t go with it.

Yeah, a layout that works for me is definitely my biggest factor, especially because I'm planning to keep working from home part time so I need an office that isn't my bedroom. And I've seen floor plans for apartments that open right into the kitchen and WHY????. I've also seen a lot of appointments where the kitchen is just a wall in the living room and I'm not okay with that either. I'm very picky about my apartments overall, but both of these apartments meet my needs, which is good.

Is it bad that like 5 hours after this run I totally forgot that I had run?

This happened to me yesterday. It was just a very exhausting day, and I could not focus on most things. I had forgotten to check it off on my to do list, and was whining that it was too hot and miserable to go out when I was asked why I was going out again. I felt rather silly, but still exhausted.

Is it bad that like 5 hours after this run I totally forgot that I had run?

So here's a fun non-running non-Disney related question:
When looking for a place to live, do you see yourself more in an older home or a more modern construction? Or are you comfortable in either one? I feel like I know some of you better than others but definitely don’t know anyone’s personal housing style and it feels like a fun random thing to learn about people.

For context … I’m currently deciding between 2 apartments, one in a pre-war building and one in a more modern building (80s, but the apartment is newly renovated). My personal style is definitely more modern. Although the older apartment has some advantages (the closet space is one of the big ones), so I’m not making my decision exclusively based on that, I need to figure in some other things. But this whole process made me curious what other people focus on when picking a place to live and also what people’s personal aesthetics are.

(I really gotta make this decision by tomorrow-ish, so nothing that anyone says here will really impact my decision, I'm just curious what other people like)
Having grown up in a 1970's ranch, I wanted to live in something very modern, or very old. I like both and generally need other things more than old world charm or stainless steel appliances. I think I can live with any style but really do not want to live anywhere with accordion folding closet doors. This is arbitrary but not negotiable.

I have lived in an almost brand new apartment complex which was small but well laid out, had very thin walls, and a shower head that came off the wall one day. But it was conveniently located near a grocery store, public transport and within my price range. It was exceedingly inconvenient as I lived several floors up and we had several power outages in the year I lived there. I forgot about that until I was at Aulani a few years ago and had to carry my sleeping children down and then up 10 flights of stairs when the fire alarm went off- twice. (there, Disney and housing covered!)

I have lived in a 1912 apartment building in a sketchy neighborhood with amazing hardwood floors, lots of space, walking distance to university, a boiler that only seemed to kick on twice a day. This was probably the best and worst apartment I lived in, only impacted by the style/age in that the very old door was easy to break into (I was not at home, thankfully).

When I bought a house my husband declared I rejected everything built before 1942 - he was correct, but that was largely because where we were looking and in our price range we could get something very old and small with hard wood floors and update the electrical, or things built 1942-1975 with a need for new sewer tie ins (there are a lot of houses in our town with Orangeburg- essentially tarred paper- used when there was a metal shortage during war). There is not a lot of new construction in town, and what there is was well beyond what we were willing to pay. So we have a cute 100 year old house that seems far too small for a year of zoom school and working from home, but the real estate market is rather out of control to consider upgrading.

. I think I can live with any style but really do not want to live anywhere with accordion folding closet doors. This is arbitrary but not negotiable.
You would hate pretty much every apartment I saw (actually, I think one of my two finalists was regular closet doors).

I agree that there are things that are more important than style. For me, low floor is one of them (I was looking at apartments on 5,6, and 7). But the thing I realized recently, which was what led to the question, is that I find myself more excited about modern design than I am about anything else in an apartment. But a modern apartment isn't enough for me to make my decision - it has to meet all of my other needs (decent sized kitchen, natural light, big enough space for what I need). The reason I was struggling with this decision is that I was looking at two apartments that met most/all of my needs but were so completely different.

I find myself more excited about modern design than I am about anything else in an apartment. But a modern apartment isn't enough for me to make my decision - it has to meet all of my other needs (decent sized kitchen, natural light, big enough space for what I need). The reason I was struggling with this decision is that I was looking at two apartments that met most/all of my needs but were so completely different.

It is important to be excited, and this can definitely be the deciding factor. Who knows, maybe next round of apartment hunting will find you with a preference for art deco styles.

2021 Activity Tracker Week 22 - June 7th - June 13th, 2021

Monday:
  • Rest Day - This was scheduled as a run day, but I forgot my running shoes, so no dice. Ended up just taking a rest day because I just wasn’t feeling up to forcing something.
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Ashley E. Livestream - 60-minute class
Wednesday:
  • Rest Day
Thursday:
  • barre3 with Lauren Livestream - 60-minute class
Friday:
  • 5.25 mile run, 1:12:57 hours, 13:54 min/mi avg pace
  • 40 minute walk, 2.16 miles
Saturday:
  • Rest Day
Sunday:
  • 55 minutes, 3 miles
  • barre3 Studio with Vicky - 60-minute class
Total Running:
1 runs, 5.25 miles, 1:12:57 hours

Total barre3:
1 In-Studio classes
2 Livestream classes
0 online classes
Total time: ~ 3:00 hours

Walks:
2 walks

Active Minutes: 0+ 60 + 0 + 60 + 113 + 0 + 115 = 348 minutes
Total 2021 Active Minutes: 7422/7800 (95.2%)

Anyway, some updates. I went with the modern apartment. I think I'm happy with the decision. Ultimately, both apartments met my needs, and I was more excited about the kitchen in the modern apartment than anything else. I am sad about not having the big walk-in closet from the older apartment, but I'd rather have the superior kitchen than the walk-in closet. Also, my current plan for move-in day is to unpack what I can and then take a beer up to the roof (which has a view of the Central Park Reservoir) and drink it there (don't worry, I'll stay away from the edge). But we'll see what happens. I still don't have a date for the move because of some work stuff, which I'll probably talk about next week.

2021 Activity Tracker Week 21 - May 31st - June 6th, 2021

Monday:
  • barre3 Online - 30-minute class. Was supposed to run but was dealing with some stuff, so this happened instead. And I was so tired that I barely made it through this. So yeah.
Tuesday:
  • 4.40 mile run, 58:05 minutes, 13:12 min/mi avg pace - Is it bad that like 5 hours after this run I totally forgot that I had run?
Wednesday:
  • 28 minute walk, 1.42 miles
  • 3.01 mile run, 38:33 minutes, 12:49 min/mi avg pace
Thursday:
  • barre3 Studio with Jess - 60-minute class
Friday:
  • Rest Day. Just a lot going on. Last day of work (more on that in a few weeks, hopefully), saw a few apartments, had some cooking to do ... something had to go and my run was the logical answer.
Saturday:
  • Untracked walk. Probably around an hour and fifteen minutes, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. No idea on the distance. Not counting this for minute totals but it counts as a walk
Sunday:
  • 4.34 mile walk, 1:15 minutes
Total Running:
2 runs, 7.41 miles, 1:36:38 hours

Total barre3:
2 In-Studio classes
0 Livestream classes
1 online classes
Total time: ~ 2:30 hours

Walks:
3 walks

Active Minutes: 30+ 58 + 66 + 60+ 0 + 0 + 135 = 349 minutes
Total 2021 Active Minutes: 7074/7800 (90.7%)

So here's a fun non-running non-Disney related question:
When looking for a place to live, do you see yourself more in an older home or a more modern construction? Or are you comfortable in either one? I feel like I know some of you better than others but definitely don’t know anyone’s personal housing style and it feels like a fun random thing to learn about people.

For context … I’m currently deciding between 2 apartments, one in a pre-war building and one in a more modern building (80s, but the apartment is newly renovated). My personal style is definitely more modern. Although the older apartment has some advantages (the closet space is one of the big ones), so I’m not making my decision exclusively based on that, I need to figure in some other things. But this whole process made me curious what other people focus on when picking a place to live and also what people’s personal aesthetics are.

(I really gotta make this decision by tomorrow-ish, so nothing that anyone says here will really impact my decision, I'm just curious what other people like)

So I love older homes. We have looked at homes from 1700s on. We actually are in escrow on a house built in 1920s. The nice thing is the house has all the charm of a 100 year old home, but the inside was updated in 2010 so all the major systems are new. The only thing my husband needs to do right away is paint the outside which he was okay with. So if everything goes well we should move in next month.

So I love older homes. We have looked at homes from 1700s on. We actually are in escrow on a house built in 1920s. The nice thing is the house has all the charm of a 100 year old home, but the inside was updated in 2010 so all the major systems are new. The only thing my husband needs to do right away is paint the outside which he was okay with. So if everything goes well we should move in next month.

Congrats! That really sounds like the best of both worlds - lots of old house charm but with less maintenance required.

2021 Activity Tracker Week 23 - June 14th - June 20th, 2021

Monday:
  • barre3 with Ashley J. Livestream - 60-minute class - Was originally scheduled for in-person, but canceled because rain + I didn’t think I’d want to get up that early. Woke up tired and considered canceling the livestream, but decided to just do it. Actually regretted not doing in-person.
Tuesday:
  • 6.29 mile run, 1:26:45 hours, 13:47 min/mi avg pace
  • 1:04 hour walk, 3.42 miles - I went furniture shopping. Couches are expensive, y'all.
Wednesday:
  • Rest Day - Was signed up for an afternoon b3 that I was very excited about (an instructor I haven’t taken in a bit), but then life scheduling got in the way so I decided to cancel. Was considering running in the late afternoon, but I ate a small lunch and then didn’t get home until after 6, so I just took the rest day.
Thursday:
  • barre3 Studio with Frenchie - 60-minute class - Frenchie is a new instructor (to our studio at least). She had a lot of energy. Sang along to the music, which entertained me. I think I liked her.
  • 2 walks - 57 minutes, 3.15 miles (walk partway home from b3) & 53 minutes, 2.66 miles (library)
Friday:
  • 3.06 mile run, 47:12 minutes, 13:48 min/mi avg pace - This run was actually about 0.2 miles longer but my watch died.
Saturday:
  • Rest Day
Sunday:
  • 1:18 hour walk, 4.5 miles
Total Running:
2 runs, 9.35 miles, 2:13:57 hours

Total barre3:
2 In-Studio classes
1 Livestream classes
0 online classes
Total time: ~ 3:00 hours

Walks:
4 walks, 4:12 hours

Active Minutes: 60 + 151 + 0 + 170 + 47+ 0 + 138 = 566 minutes
Total 2021 Active Minutes: 7988/7800 (102.4%) GOAL REACHED!
(Will contemplate what this means over the next few weeks and be back with what I'm doing for the rest of the year)

A lot of stuff going on this week. Made some not-great decisions, which is frustrating. I was very stressed all week, which was tough, and it wasn’t a good time for it. Oh well, things will work out eventually. Just gotta keep my head above water, keep moving forward, and keep hoping for the best (and doing what I can to get myself there).

Also, I start a new job tomorrow (another startup, same kind of work mostly), so expect either a bit of radio silence or a lot of complaining as I start the adjustment process. I’m very torn on whether taking this new job was the right decision, so I’m pretty nervous. Hopefully the first few days will go well and that will help me feel better.

Total 2021 Active Minutes: 7988/7800 (102.4%) GOAL REACHED! !
Woo Hoo! You worked hard to pick goals and you blew this out of the water! Do you think you worked significantly harder than you imagined you would, or if the act of tracking what you were doing showed you how much more you were doing than you thought (making your goal less about physical challenge and more about acknowledging what you do)?

Couches are expensive! I used my entire first paycheck from a permanent job to buy a very nice Mitchell Gold couch. I spent a long time looking for something with not giant arms because I knew I would be stuffing it in small spaces and would need to move apartments several times before I got a new one. 10+ years and only 4 moves later it needs to be replaced, but I do not want to spend the money to do it because they are still expensive!

Woo Hoo! You worked hard to pick goals and you blew this out of the water! Do you think you worked significantly harder than you imagined you would, or if the act of tracking what you were doing showed you how much more you were doing than you thought (making your goal less about physical challenge and more about acknowledging what you do)?

So I think it's a little of both. Not so much that I worked harder, but that I took less time off than I expected. I thought I'd take more unscheduled/unplanned (or even planned rest days). I eventually, when I have the time/patience (so never), want to go back and compare week to week and month to month how I did, and see if the months that I expected to be less busy actually were busy.
I also think vaccination played a role - I wasn't really going places before I was vaccinated, and now that I am vaccinated, I'm more willing to go places, but I do walk (rather than take the subway) when I can. So that adds more walks into my day. I definitely wasn't expecting that, because I wasn't expecting to be vaccinated until late summer/early fall.

I also think that some weeks the total amount of active minutes surprised me - I didn't realize how much I was doing until I saw it written down. So that was a nice eye-opener and gave me something interesting to think about. I tend to think of myself as lazy most of the time, but I guess maybe I'm not.

Couches are expensive! I used my entire first paycheck from a permanent job to buy a very nice Mitchell Gold couch. I spent a long time looking for something with not giant arms because I knew I would be stuffing it in small spaces and would need to move apartments several times before I got a new one. 10+ years and only 4 moves later it needs to be replaced, but I do not want to spend the money to do it because they are still expensive!

Yeah. I think I ended up getting too big of an apartment (which is weird), so I may have space for a big couch, but I want to make sure I get something that will also fit in future apartments. But also I want a sleeper sofa, so that drives up the price quite a bit. It's been a fun adventure in shopping, and I think I may end up spending more than I wanted.

Hey y'all. Not gonna do a full recap of the week this week because life. Here are the basics:

- 2 runs last week, 3.28 miles and 4.26 miles. Both could have been a bit longer, but I'm happy with them.
- 1 in-studio barre3 class and 1 livestream
- Took an unscheduled rest day Tuesday because I didn't sleep well + Tuesday is my big meeting day
- New job is going decently, but it's still early and I'm still figuring things out. I'm going to check out the new office and hopefully meet some teammates at a company event on Tuesday, so that's exciting.
- Move stuff is stressful. But I get my keys on Thursday and have a move date set for next week. Just gotta buy a couch and a TV (I have the TV picked out but am waiting a few days to see if there's a 4th of July sale. Couch I have still not picked out).

Goal for this week is 3 runs and 3 barre3 classes, but we'll see if that happens. I may end up going home for the weekend, so that will impact things.
I'm also (hopefully) going to set some goal for the second half of the year. Not sure what it will be yet. But I'm going to try to find a few minutes to think about that amid all the chaos this week.

(it might be increasing distance for a fall or winter half)

Update: Just checked the weather forecast for the rest of the week. I'll be lucky if I get one run in.
Friggin heat wave and rain.

July Goals

This is going to be a quick and dirty one. Two goals for July:
1 - Post an update here once a week - I don't think that having an activity goal was what kept me moving in the first half of the year, I think it was more the posting about it. So regular updates! July is going to be a down month because I'm more focused on the move than running, but I'm hoping that sharing what I do will keep me doing something.

2 - Pick out a fall or winter half marathon to run. I think I'm ready to get back to racing. One of my goals for 2021 was to earn a medal, so this isn't really a new goal, it's more picking up an old goal that I had put aside and putting more focus on that. (Goal #2 for 2021, which was constant improvement, has just totally been ignored because it was too stressful)

Once I have a race picked out, I can think about goals for that race (and the rest of the year).

Also, this was my night last night:

New apartment is good so far, though (other than the morning doorman not liking me very much and the super not being around at 8:30am). Move-in date is next week, but I'll probably be back in the apartment a few times before then.

The tape is for your furniture? If so, you have a kindred spirit with my DH. When we bought our den sofa many years ago, we realized we may have an issue getting it into the house and through the pocket doors. So DH constructed a 3D scale model of the sofa and doorways to see if it would fit (it did, theoretically) and determine the precise way to get the sofa into the house. It worked--and he directed the delivery guys appropriately.

The tape is for your furniture? If so, you have a kindred spirit with my DH. When we bought our den sofa many years ago, we realized we may have an issue getting it into the house and through the pocket doors. So DH constructed a 3D scale model of the sofa and doorways to see if it would fit (it did, theoretically) and determine the precise way to get the sofa into the house. It worked--and he directed the delivery guys appropriately.

I'm still trying to figure out what layout I want for the living room (also known as the living room, dining room, and office), so that's what the tape was. Like your DH, I needed something to help me figure out whether everything would fit (and it turned out my original plan would not, so it's a good thing I did the tape). It has all since been removed, since I don't want to injure my pretty new floors.

July 1st Week (and also end of June) Check-In

2 barre3 classes (Monday and Wednesday, both in-studio0
1 run (Tuesday)
Like 4 walks (Sunday - a lot of errands that I walked instead of bus/train)

Not the most active week, but it was fine. Thursday I was focused on getting into the new apartment. Friday I made the trek out to my parents. So all things considered, this was a decent week.

It's the night before the move and all my boxes are packed but also I have a lot of stuff that hasn't been packed yet so I'll have to do another few back and forth trips on Sunday.

But ... night before the move. So much stress.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter