Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Fat Sarah" - November 30th - December 6th, 2020

Monday:
  • 7.19 mile run, 1:37:43 minutes, 13:35 min/mi avg pace. Rainy runs are yuck, but empty paths are (mostly) yay. Got to run without my mask and not feel anxious about it.
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Katie Livestream - 60-minute class
Wednesday:
  • 3.03 mile treadmill run, 37:31 minutes, 12:23 min/mi avg pace. Was too tired to outside. But I took the opportunity to do some tempo, which was nice. I watched Disney's Fairy Tale Weddings and managed to only cry a little (maybe that's not the best treadmill show).
Thursday:
  • 4.02 mile run, 52:54 minutes, 13:10 min/mi avg pace. Plumber was coming between 8 and 9 and he needed access to my room (the heat in my bedroom doesn't work), so I needed to be home and showered by 8. I made it.
Friday:
  • barre3 Online - 30-minute class
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • barre3 Online - 45-minute class
Total Running:
3 runs, 14.24 miles, 3:08:08 hours

Total barre3:
1 Livestream class
2 online classes
Total time: ~ 2:15 hours

Walks:
0 walks

Healthy Eating:
Whomp.

I was at the house for almost two weeks, so I haven't been on the scale, but I know my weight is up. It's been slowly creeping up over the last few months, and I think it's still going to go up further. I couldn't get on a pair of jeans last week (although those may have shrunk in the wash). I know that I look fatter than I have in a bit. And I'm a little pissed about it. Not because my weight in any way reflects who I am as a person (I'm trash either way), but because I know I can do better and I'm annoyed at myself for making bad decisions and for not understanding the impact of my decisions. So there's that.

Life:
See comment above.

And I'm a little pissed about it. Not because my weight in any way reflects who I am as a person (I'm trash either way), but because I know I can do better and I'm annoyed at myself for making bad decisions and for not understanding the impact of my decisions. So there's that.

Being pissed....Okay, I get that. Labeling yourself as "trash"....not okay (unless you're a mass murderer, and I'm reasonably sure you're not. ;) ) We are all only human, which is not an excuse, and at times not even a good explanation. It just means we all struggle with imperfection. And, like many of us, you actually DO see the impact of your food decisions. It's just hard to change the decisions being made.

I'm sure I'm out of place commenting, and I don't have any deep knowledge of your personal situation/struggles, but I at least wanted you to know that you are heard.

Being pissed....Okay, I get that. Labeling yourself as "trash"....not okay (unless you're a mass murderer, and I'm reasonably sure you're not. ;) ) We are all only human, which is not an excuse, and at times not even a good explanation. It just means we all struggle with imperfection. And, like many of us, you actually DO see the impact of your food decisions. It's just hard to change the decisions being made.

I'm sure I'm out of place commenting, and I don't have any deep knowledge of your personal situation/struggles, but I at least wanted you to know that you are heard.

You’re not out of place. I came here to say something very similar. Calling oneself “trash” is not healthy unless one enjoys killing puppies or something else truly vile. Sarah, sounds like things are tough these days, and there are plenty of us here to listen when you’re ready.

I always appreciate you for sharing the struggles as well. It's more authentic than pretending that life is perfect when you're struggling.

Please remember that you have tremendous value and are loved. I'm ready to listen when you feel that you want to share.

Anyway ... the point I was trying to make (badly, clearly) is that my worth as a human being is not defined by how I look or what I eat or what exercise I do (or don't do).

... It is, however, apparently defined by the fact that I think that if you want to get a rapid COVID test to travel, you should wait in the long urgent care line yourself and not hire someone to do it. Which is just the first of the apparently terrible things I've said lately (because how dare I accurately assume that people are trying to get tested to travel, of course they're all sick and waiting for tests and therefore you don't want them in line :rolleyes2), but that's the one that finally broke me away from the group chat I've been in for a bit that may or may not have been healthy for me. So I'm a little snarky these days (I mean, I'm always snarky, just not always on here).
(The minor and less relevant point here is that I'm actually a jerk and not the nice person I pretend to be).

But thanks for the love y'all.

I've been thinking about 2021 goals, but really, is there even a point? I don't think things are going back to any semblance of normal any time soon. My office is closed until at least Labor Day, so I'm gonna be on a weird schedule for a while. I really don't know if it's worth setting goals if I can't even begin to imagine what the year will look like.

I've been thinking about 2021 goals, but really, is there even a point? I don't think things are going back to any semblance of normal any time soon. My office is closed until at least Labor Day, so I'm gonna be on a weird schedule for a while. I really don't know if it's worth setting goals if I can't even begin to imagine what the year will look like.

What kind of goals? Exercise? Nutrition? Plans for world domination? I think it never hurts--it is just a mechanism to think about things that are important to you. As with all goals, they need to be realistic, and--especially in these times--flexible. Goals can help a person focus/maintain motivation.

So I say yes, at least give them some thought. I also need to take my own advice in this regard. My running has been rather lackadaisical lately, and I need a goal of some sort to give me some structure.

What kind of goals? Exercise? Nutrition? Plans for world domination? I think it never hurts--it is just a mechanism to think about things that are important to you. As with all goals, they need to be realistic, and--especially in these times--flexible. Goals can help a person focus/maintain motivation.

So I say yes, at least give them some thought. I also need to take my own advice in this regard. My running has been rather lackadaisical lately, and I need a goal of some sort to give me some structure.
I was talking more running than world domination, but I suppose I could do that too.
My running has been so up and down during the pandemic that it's hard to even know where to start with goals. But I guess maybe setting goals will help me figure out how to (or if I want to) balance long runs and my work schedule, which is something I've really struggled with since I stopped running on weekends. Hmm. Something to think about.

Thanks for the advice! And yes, take your own advice and start thinking about goals!

Yes! Let’s plan some world domination!

I should probably warn you, all of my world domination knowledge comes from Pinky and the Brain. So there's that.

I was at the house for almost two weeks, so I haven't been on the scale, but I know my weight is up. It's been slowly creeping up over the last few months, and I think it's still going to go up further. I couldn't get on a pair of jeans last week (although those may have shrunk in the wash). I know that I look fatter than I have in a bit. And I'm a little pissed about it. Not because my weight in any way reflects who I am as a person (I'm trash either way), but because I know I can do better and I'm annoyed at myself for making bad decisions and for not understanding the impact of my decisions. So there's that.

Life:
See comment above.
Relatable, tbh. Hating myself has been my only motivation for making some changes recently, after 8 straight months of playing an online video game all day every day. Without a half marathon on the calendar to keep me honest, I just don't exercise or leave the house at all anymore. Even checking the runDisney boards is depressing without something to look forward to.

2021 goals are to get you to 2022, 2030 or wherever else you think you want to be in the future. Considering the long term goal is in many cases just as valuable as the detailed plan.
Brain wanted to take over the world, but he never had a good long term strategy, an understanding of what that would mean, or a grasp on what his and Pinky's actual capabilitiies. He may have thought he wanted world domination when what he really wanted was a bit of control over his life. Maybe escaping Acme labs was a long term goal of his, but feeling appreciated for his superior intellect could have been gratifying enough to get him through the week. To be appreciated, he needed to find someone he thought more like himself to interact - Of course there were other mice in the lab, but he never sought them out. This could have met his short term need to bridge him to the long term aim of escape. Had he taken time to understand the lay of the land, he could have come up with a better plan. Had he understood the likelihood of cats outside the lab eating him, he may have decided the goal was not worthwhile.

Maybe like Pinky & Brain I will never escape my lab, but if I can figure out how to run it maybe that is something to be fine with - until I have a proper plan for world domination.

Make some goals. Understand how your short term actions get you to the long term goals. Nothing goes to plan, but without one you get nowhere.

Relatable, tbh. Hating myself has been my only motivation for making some changes recently, after 8 straight months of playing an online video game all day every day. Without a half marathon on the calendar to keep me honest, I just don't exercise or leave the house at all anymore. Even checking the runDisney boards is depressing without something to look forward to.
Yeah, it's hard to get out these days. Self-hate is maybe not the best mentally healthy motivation, but sometimes you just need something to break you out of a rut. I was extra bummed when they canceled the NYC half because I love that race and I'm having a hard time doing any distance without the possibility of that race on the horizon.

2021 goals are to get you to 2022, 2030 or wherever else you think you want to be in the future. Considering the long term goal is in many cases just as valuable as the detailed plan.
Brain wanted to take over the world, but he never had a good long term strategy, an understanding of what that would mean, or a grasp on what his and Pinky's actual capabilitiies. He may have thought he wanted world domination when what he really wanted was a bit of control over his life. Maybe escaping Acme labs was a long term goal of his, but feeling appreciated for his superior intellect could have been gratifying enough to get him through the week. To be appreciated, he needed to find someone he thought more like himself to interact - Of course there were other mice in the lab, but he never sought them out. This could have met his short term need to bridge him to the long term aim of escape. Had he taken time to understand the lay of the land, he could have come up with a better plan. Had he understood the likelihood of cats outside the lab eating him, he may have decided the goal was not worthwhile.

Maybe like Pinky & Brain I will never escape my lab, but if I can figure out how to run it maybe that is something to be fine with - until I have a proper plan for world domination.

Make some goals. Understand how your short term actions get you to the long term goals. Nothing goes to plan, but without one you get nowhere.
Thank you for the advice and the pinky and the brain goals analysis. That was amazing and made me actually laugh out loud. But also gave me a lot to think about in terms of goals. So thank you.

COVID-19 Wellness Focus - Week "Free Time is For Suckers" - December 7th - December 13th, 2020

Monday:
  • 4.72 mile run, 1:02:35 minutes, 13:16 min/mi avg pace.
Tuesday:
  • barre3 with Katie Livestream - 60-minute class
  • Walk - 18 minutes, 0.9 miles
Wednesday:
  • 5.65 mile run, 1:13:14 hours, 12:57 min/mi avg pace. Ran down to see the Rockefeller Center tree. Needed to be home for a 10am call and the person called me at 10:25. People are the actual worst.
Thursday:
  • barre3 with Kelly Livestream - 60-minute class
Friday:
  • 3.39 mle run, 41:04 minutes, 12:06 min/mi avg pace
Saturday:
  • Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • barre3 with Vicky Livestream - 60-minute class
Total Running:
3 runs, 13.76 miles, 2:56:53 hours

Total barre3:
3 Livestream class
2 online classes
Total time: ~ 2:15 hours

Walks:
1 walk, 18 minutes

Much lower mileage week than originally planned, but schedule stuff. I think it's gonna keep being like that for a little bit longer.

Healthy Eating:
Yeah

Life:
I had some stuff going and and I really don't remember this week at all. Oops?

I also feel you on the goals as it is hard to know when races will return. However, 2020 was such a slog I have to believe that 2021 will be better so I am setting some realistic, but flexible running and life goals. I hope by putting the positive out there, that something good will come of the next year. Especially as we are currently getting pounded with 12+ inches of snow. 2020 just wants to go out with a bang.

I also feel you on the goals as it is hard to know when races will return. However, 2020 was such a slog I have to believe that 2021 will be better so I am setting some realistic, but flexible running and life goals. I hope by putting the positive out there, that something good will come of the next year. Especially as we are currently getting pounded with 12+ inches of snow. 2020 just wants to go out with a bang.

That's a good plan. It never hurts to put good energy and good goals/plans out there in the world. (Although I'm cool with the snow - we only got 10 inches, but I love snow so I would have loved more).
Thanks for giving me something to think about.

On goals, as others have said I think it's a good idea to set goals, but given the circumstances, they need to be achievable, realistic, and flexible. To me this means you focus on what you are able to control in the immediate here and now. Maybe the current circumstances mean running fewer miles at a slower pace. Perhaps they mean walking instead of running. Maybe they mean finding ways to pursue some fitness and/or wellness in the the confines of your home. But I think you'll feel better about working towards whatever you decide. I hate the concept of moving the goalposts as it were, but in these circumstances, it's a good analogy.
Yes! Let’s plan some world domination!
For all the referring to that, I'm surprised no one actually quoted it. So I will.

Also, my little sister has a stuffed ewok whose literal goal is to take over the world. But I do think that taking over the world is an important fun goal to set and pursue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter