Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Week In Review: October 21st - October 27th, 2019 - Week 8 of NYC Marathon Training

Monday:
  • Scheduled: Rest Day
  • Actual: Rest Day
Tuesday:
  • Scheduled: Rest Day
  • Actual: Rest Day
Was on my feet for a while and my knee was hurting a bit, but it wasn’t too bad.

Wednesday:
  • Scheduled: Run with Beth
  • Actual: Run - 3.52 miles, 48:22 minutes, 13:45 min/mi avg pace
I was at Beth’s for a few days, so we went for a run before I left. She does longer walk breaks than I do, but she also runs faster than my easy pace. I think that if she learned to slow down, she could shorten her walk intervals and still run faster. But that’s easier said than done. I tried to slow her down at the end but it didn’t work out so well. I gotta figure out how to help her with this.
Anyway … it was fun running with Beth, but very different than my usual runs.

There was some talk of me staying by Beth through the weekend, which would have totally changed the run schedule, but I realized I had stuff I wanted to do back in NY, so I went home in the afternoon.

Thursday:
  • Scheduled: 13 mins Easy + 35 mins M Tempo + 5.5 min HM Tempo + 6.5 mins Easy
  • Actual:
    • Run - 5.14 miles, 1:01:35 hours, 11:59 min/mi avg pace
      • M Tempo: 3.09 miles, 35:00 minutes, 11:20 min/mi avg pace (Goal Pace: 11:38 min/mi)
      • HM Tempo: 0.49 miles, 5:30 minutes, 11:13 min/mi avg pace (Goal Pace: 11:09 min/mi)
    • barre3 with Jenna #1
Really struggled in the back half. Route planning was not ideal so I was on an uphill for the last interval of HM Tempo and ended up walking some of it, which I think is why that was so slow.
Also … my hair kept falling out of the bun. I really need a haircut before the marathon. Hopefully early next week.

I felt like I hadn’t been to barre3 in forever (although Jenna says she thinks she saw me a week or two ago, so it may just been that I’ve been so all over the place that it feels like forever), and it took me a while to settle in, but I felt pretty okay at the end. Managed to do a lot of side seat stuff that honestly felt like it was gonna kill me, especially because I had some hip pain this morning.

Friday:
  • Scheduled: 30 minutes easy
  • Actual: Run - 2.19 miles Easy/LR Intervals, 27:55 minutes, 12:44 min/mi avg pace
Woke up and debated whether I wanted to do this today. Ended up going out, but halfway through I just totally lost interest.

Was considering doing a barre3 class mid-day, but after the less than enthusiastic run, I decided to just chill for the rest of the day.

Saturday:
  • Scheduled: Rest Day!
  • Actual: Rest Day!
Sunday:
  • Scheduled: 45 mins Easy, barre3
  • Actual:
    • Run - 2.68 miles EC, 30:57 minutes, 11:34 min/mi avg pace
    • No barre3
My original plan for this was run to barre3 (which would have been more than 45 minutes … oops). But rain was in the forecast and I didn’t want to be sopping wet during barre class, so I cancelled that. Woke up and my legs felt a bit off, and between that and the rain and the fact that I’m extremely grouchy about this stupid race, I decided to cut the run down to 30 minutes.

Marathon Goal Update:
More on this in the pre-race update (which will be posted at some point this week), but … I’m considering scrapping my goal for the race. I have some stuff going on (all good), and between that and Coach’s concerns about the less-than-ideal training load and my overall frustration with the marathon … I just have a lot going on and I think going in there with a number in mind will be counterproductive. I still want to have an “approach” (which may involve breaking the race into segments and numbers for each segment, but no overall number), but not a number at the end.
I dunno. I may still end up with a goal, I just have to find a way to not be stressed out about it, and that doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen. I gotta figure this out.

Upcoming:
Monday - 45 mins Easy
Tuesday - barre3
Wednesday - 30 mins Easy
Thursday - barre3
Friday - 20 mins Easy, Expo Volunteering
Saturday - Rest Day!
Sunday - 26.2 miles - aka Race Day!

This schedule is somewhat subject to change based on what marathon-related events are going on that I decide to participate in. As of right now I'm not signed up for any runs, but we'll see.

I'm thinking about skipping Friday's run. I think my legs are too tired, and I don't want to skip tomorrow's barre class (mostly because Kelly, who is the instructor, was at the front desk yesterday and I told her I'd be there ... also because I may buy the pretty tank top I was looking at, and tomorrow is the last day I have a discount). Gotta think about this.

Also ... companies that make you wait on hold for customer service are evil. Gotta call Walgreens again tomorrow because optical wasn't open when I called and my doctor said she sent in my prescription. Really, how hard is it to just send me my contact lenses???

TCS New York City Marathon - Race Day Plans

Only a few days until I’m done with marathons forever! Let’s talk about some plans.

Getting There:
One of the good things about the NYC Marathon is that you get to pick your transportation months in advance, so there’s no last-minute nuttiness. I’m signed up for a bus from the New York Public Library at 7:00am.
On a weekday, it would be super easy for me to get to NYPL - one train all the way there, pretty much the same as my new commute to work, just getting out of the train in a different place. But … that train doesn’t run on weekends. Assuming the trains are running semi-normally, the commute won’t be that much worse - it’s two trains, not one, but the same stops. The problem is that the train I need runs every 12 minutes, so I may plan to be ready early and monitor train status to decide when to leave.

My goal is to leave the house between 6:15 and 6:30, which will get me there 6:40-6:50ish.

Pre-Race Plans:
From what I understand, it will take about 1.5 hours to get to the start area, so I’ll be there around 8:30am. My corral doesn’t open until 10:30am. So I’ll have two hours to kill.
I will probably eat my breakfast as soon as I get to the start area, to give myself a decent amount of time to digest it (which I did not do the day I tested my pre-race breakfast…). So that’ll take like 5 minutes, since I eat like the bottomless pit that I am.

There are a few people from my running crew also in the same start area (I know at least one in wave 2 and one in my wave), so I’m hoping to find some people to hang out with a bit.

I’m also probably gonna explore the start village a bit, see what’s going on. I know there are therapy dogs, but I’m not a big dog person, so I likely won’t make an effort to find them. I think there’s coffee, but I also may just bring coffee from home. We’ll see.

Outfit:
Sarah's race outfit - new york skirt, white shirt, yankees headband
(Sorry about the instastory comments ... I apparently don't have a copy of the original picture)

My outfit theme is New York Yankees fan.

The idea for this outfit kinda came about last year. I actually wanted to do this for either the Bronx 10 Mile or the Staten Island Half, but I never had the core piece - the headband. I bought the headband in Trenton this summer, and so the outfit started to come together.

The skirt I already had. I was originally thinking of buying navy capris, but decided to stick with gray capris that I already had. I’m kinda debating going with leggings instead, but we’ll see. I’ll probably decide that on Saturday night.

The shirt was the big question mark. I wanted to buy a Yankees shirt, but I couldn’t find one that I really loved. So I decided to just go with a navy shirt, with my white shirt (which I’ve had since 2015ish, I think). The navy shirt was fine, but I guess I hadn’t worn the white shirt with this belt, because they weren’t interacting so nicely. So I was really torn on what to do. I think I decided on just wearing it and dealing with it … but I may call an audible on race day and wear a navy tank, the white shirt, and the new navy shirt on top. Especially now that the forecast is heading into the 40’s.

Honestly, I’m wondering if I should go to a Yankees store and see if I can find a long-sleeve tech Yankees shirt. But I’d be nervous to try a new shirt on race day, since that’s against the rules and I hate breaking rules. But Yankees.

Obviously, I was hoping to wear this when the Yankees were newly-minted World Series champions. That didn't happen. It’s tough, but I knew all along that that was a possibility, and I’m not letting it stop me. They play “New York, New York” at the start … I gotta represent the pinstripes.

Oh, and the shoes will be the same Brooks Levitate 2 that I wore for WDW marathon. Socks will be whatever, because I decided to be stupid and not buy the NYC Feetures.

Race Goal:
None!

I had a goal. From the start, Coach said it was far from a sure thing, but I believed I could do it. As race day approached, I tried to come up with a good plan that would allow me to hit my goal but also wouldn’t make me feel guilty about stopping for pictures or to chat with people. As we started discussing plans, I started to get stressed out about what my goal should be (because I had some thoughts that my original goal wasn’t exactly what I wanted my time to be) and what approach to use, and I kinda thought the best idea would be to just scrap the goal and run whatever feels right, even if that leads to a crash and burn at the end. Coach agreed that that removing the stress and goal is a good idea, so here we are.

Race Plan:
Whatever feels right.
I will have my watch set up for M Tempo intervals, and will run at whatever pace seems right. That may be slightly slower than my usual M Tempo pace, around my M Tempo pace, easy pace at M Tempo intervals (easy intervals are usually 60/30, M Tempo is 90/30, so I’d do my easy interval pace, but or 90 seconds instead of 60), or none of the above. We’ll see what feels right on race day and adjust as necessary.

I do want to divide the race into “pieces” in my head, but I’m not setting goals for those pieces. I haven’t decided on the pieces yet - I’m thinking either 10mi/10mi/10K or “between the bridges” (Verrazzano to Pulaski, Pulaski to 59th St, Manhattan, Bronx (I don’t know the names of most of the bridges in and out of the Bronx, which is why those segments aren’t named after their bridges), after the bridges).

I will have some friends spectating in the Bronx, so I will stop to talk to them when I get there. My dad is planning to at least come see me in Manhattan, possibly also in Brooklyn, so I’ll probably stop for a bit to talk to him too.

Post-Race:
I have to double-check the details with my dad, but the plan is to meet him post-race at the Starbucks right near the poncho exit. I’ll probably mobile order from the finish area and have him grab the coffee for me.
I don’t know if my dad is going to want to go out to dinner or anything after the race, so my post-race plans will depend on him. If I’m not doing anything else, I may see if my run crew is doing anything. If not, it’s back home to shower and start getting ready for work. I have my first day at my new job on Monday, and I want to make sure I have everything I need all set out and ready to go before I go to bed on Sunday. I find out more about my orientation schedule on Friday, so once I have that, it’ll be easier to figure out what needs to be done and how long it will take me.

Around 7:30ish, I’d like to be back at the finish line. That’s when the last finishers start coming in (the official Project Finish starts at 7:45pm), and I think cheering for those last finishers will be the perfect way to end my marathon day.

Medal Engraving:
NYRR does medal engraving at the marathon pavilion (which is kinda on my way to work), but they charge. I think some years New York Running Company has done free engraving, but they don’t seem to be doing that. They are engraving goodr sunglases, so if I end up splurging and buying the NYC marathon sunglasses at the expo (probably not gonna happen), then I’ll try to get them engraved, schedule permitting.

... And I think that's everything.

Sounds like a great plan and you're ready to go! I hope you enjoy running in "your city" - the entire race sounds like a blast! Have fun!
Thank you!!

So, we'll be around Mile 18 - my friend lives on 91st between 1st and 2nd! Will be looking out for you!
Yay! I will be on the lookout and I hope I get a chance to finally meet you!

Lurker checking in: Have a great race! I'll be sending good race vibes in your direction.
Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter