Life After Magical Express

Besides that, I have to ask myself, is it worth the high cost of staying on ground at WDW if I have to arrange for my own transportation, or parking fees at the resort if I rent. I can save, on average, 50% of the cost of a room and stay at a nice hotel but I don't because of the benefits I receive at WDW. Now that these benefits are going away, maybe it's time to look around.
This is a realization that folks will come to as they study this further, and it's actually a transition we made years ago and never looked back.

When we first started visiting WDW, we were DVC members and loved it. We drove up from Miami anyway, so we've always had a car. We learned very quickly that no matter how nice our DVC was, we were going offsite often to eat simply because there was more variety, the food was better, and it was less expensive even for fine dining.

When we sold our DVC, we switched to almost exclusively offsite, and we actually enjoyed being outside "the bubble." I can tell you from many years of experience that there is nothing to lose by moving offsite. We actually prefer offsite now.

Disney fully understands all that, but their goal is to increase revenue and profits. There will always be new people attracted to "the bubble," with or without ME, free parking, luggage transfer, or any of the other perks Disney offers. They will continue to reduce perks as a means of enhancing revenue, and they'll welcome the new customers without missing the old customers. That's just business.

These businesses will be getting more customers.

https://www.orlandoshuttleservice.c...outes=2&adults=4&teens=1&children=3&infants=1

I have a lot of kids and luggage to handle. What's the best transportation for my family?

You'll find private luxury vans on our website that can accommodate up to 10 people, seven large suitcases and five smaller, carry-on style bags. A private van or an SUV is probably the best option, when you want to avoid being jam-packed into a car with all your belongings and offspring.

I will be traveling with 7 adults and 2 children. Is there something similar to Magical Express that could transport all of us and our luggage while offering car seats as well?

I'm not sure if Tony Hinds still has his full-size passenger van, but you could email him to find out (aobh607@gmail.com). I know that he used to have at least one car seat as well. I could go on and on (and have at various times on the Universal board) about what a great guy Tony is. His service is the best and you won't be sorry if you use him. (Want more references? Just search the name and you'll come up with a boatload of them).

I'm not sure if Tony Hinds still has his full-size passenger van, but you could email him to find out (aobh607@gmail.com). I know that he used to have at least one car seat as well. I could go on and on (and have at various times on the Universal board) about what a great guy Tony is. His service is the best and you won't be sorry if you use him. (Want more references? Just search the name and you'll come up with a boatload of them).
Thank you. His name has come up a lot. I will get in touch with him and share what I find out.

These businesses will be getting more customers.

https://www.orlandoshuttleservice.c...outes=2&adults=4&teens=1&children=3&infants=1

I have a lot of kids and luggage to handle. What's the best transportation for my family?

You'll find private luxury vans on our website that can accommodate up to 10 people, seven large suitcases and five smaller, carry-on style bags. A private van or an SUV is probably the best option, when you want to avoid being jam-packed into a car with all your belongings and offspring.

View attachment 557866
Ooo. This is great!

Shortly after Disney announced the end of Magical Express, I remember reading an announcement from Mears in some news article somewhere in which Mears said that they plan to continue offering the service between the Orlando airport and WDW, but it'll be for a fee.

DME has only been around 15(?) years. Before that, many families found ways to get between MCO & WDW. Back then you could do a shared shuttle, taxi, rental car, or private transportation. In 2022, all of that will be available plus ride share.

Will the end of DME cut down on the number of people who stay on site? Possibly. But lets not act like this is a problem with no solution.

^^ I agree, the world will not end if DME goes away. Everyone arriving at the airport isn't all at one time, it is spread out during the day. Vans services and online taxis will circulate between Disney and the airport. We always used to rent a car before DME was available or when staying offsite. As with most things associated with a vacation, you will have to do a bit of advance planning and see what works best for your situation/family size/budget.

I contacted Mears travel and this was their response:

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. Fortunately, Mears handled the shuttle transportation to and from Disney Resorts before Disney’s Magical Express. Our goal is to revive this and offer an enhanced product in the near future, to begin service January 2022. We do not have rates established just yet but expect to in the next 6-7 months.

More to come and we will be happy to share with you as soon as the time is right.

Thanks again for connecting and we look forward to seeing you next year!

I contacted Mears travel and this was their response:

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for reaching out to us. Fortunately, Mears handled the shuttle transportation to and from Disney Resorts before Disney’s Magical Express. Our goal is to revive this and offer an enhanced product in the near future, to begin service January 2022. We do not have rates established just yet but expect to in the next 6-7 months.

More to come and we will be happy to share with you as soon as the time is right.

Thanks again for connecting and we look forward to seeing you next year!
about what I expected at this time

Well as the previous poster stated I hope they still offer the bus service even though they charge.
Of course Mears will, at a PP charge for a family/group that will rival current cost of “limo” service.

Demand will also lead to the limo providers taking advantage of supply & demand, possibly raising fees/charging to what the market will bear

As the year progresses, information will start to roll out on options. My suggestion would be to book private towncar early to avoid pricing increases.

I was amazed and a little bit upset (actually, a lot upset) when I heard that ME would be going away in 22. I have noticed people saying they have used Uber or got their own car and have suggested that this ma be the new way to get to WDW from the airport. My reasoning to these suggestions is this-when the hundreds of families that arrive every day that usually take ME reach out for Uber or rental opportunities will those opportunities exist? Remember, I am talking about the need for hundreds of uber vehicles or hundreds of more rentals cars available every hour for every day. We are talking a logistical nightmare that I don't see ever coming to fruition.
WDW has been around for 50 years and ME was only introduced in 2005. While people on the DIS think only about the Disney bubble, you have to remember that there are thousands of rooms and conference spaces all over the Orlando area and that doesn't choke up the works. I am sure Disney has done plenty of research and have realized that people aren't necessarily going to stop coming just because of ME.

Mears owns the Magical Express busses. They will likely continue to use them but charge for the service.
That's my bet too. WAY too much need for that service for someone to not want to fill the void and they're already in it. I hope so anyway! Paid for the bus between LAX and DL and was fine with that. I'd be fine with it in FL too.

WDW has been around for 50 years and ME was only introduced in 2005. While people on the DIS think only about the Disney bubble, you have to remember that there are thousands of rooms and conference spaces all over the Orlando area and that doesn't choke up the works. I am sure Disney has done plenty of research and have realized that people aren't necessarily going to stop coming just because of ME.
Yes, you are right and you have a valid point. My only thought right now is that I can save more than 50% of a cost of a room by staying across the street from Disney Springs than to stay onsite. I have always stayed onsite because of the perks and with those perks going away I have to make a decision to possibly look elsewhere. I'm not the only one. My son takes his family every year and always stays onsite. This year they stayed offsite (family of 5), saved a ton of money and said they didn't notice any change in the "magic".

Yes, you are right and you have a valid point. My only thought right now is that I can save more than 50% of a cost of a room by staying across the street from Disney Springs than to stay onsite. I have always stayed onsite because of the perks and with those perks going away I have to make a decision to possibly look elsewhere. I'm not the only one. My son takes his family every year and always stays onsite. This year they stayed offsite (family of 5), saved a ton of money and said they didn't notice any change in the "magic".

I mean in all fairness, a family of 5 is going to be limited as far as options to stay on site anyway.

We say it over and over again on these boards, if all you care about is the cost of your room, it's never really made sense to stay on site. Perks are nice to have, but they're never the reason I stay on property. I value proximity to parks and theming and am willing to pay for that regardless of what "perks" are being offered. Losing RAC is a much bigger deal to me than DME, but the biggest "perk" of all imo is being able to walk to/quickly access parks and no amount of dollar savings found offsite is worth giving that up to me. But I am also a childless millennial with disposable income who only ever goes with one other person at most. Everyone has to make the determination for themselves.

I still think Mears was going to up their rate w/Disney and Disney didn't want to pay the higher cost. I'd be curious what they're currently paying, what they started paying, and what they would be paying in the future.

I figured that the DME would continue but no longer be free. That would be super easy to do.

No way would Mears allow any other transportation service to swoop in and get all that business. The demand will always be there.

Last edited:
I still think Mears was going to up their rate w/Disney and Disney didn't want to pay the higher cost. I'd be curious what they're currently paying, what they started paying, and what they would be paying in the future.
Or Disney wanted to reduce the rate and Mears wasn't interested. Wasn't Mears recently sold?

Disney contracted with a second vendor. That vendor had a few buses.

I mean in all fairness, a family of 5 is going to be limited as far as options to stay on site anyway.

We say it over and over again on these boards, if all you care about is the cost of your room, it's never really made sense to stay on site. Perks are nice to have, but they're never the reason I stay on property. I value proximity to parks and theming and am willing to pay for that regardless of what "perks" are being offered. Losing RAC is a much bigger deal to me than DME, but the biggest "perk" of all imo is being able to walk to/quickly access parks and no amount of dollar savings found offsite is worth giving that up to me. But I am also a childless millennial with disposable income who only ever goes with one other person at most. Everyone has to make the determination for themselves.
I grew up in a family of 5 staying on property. I think a lot of the changes are affecting families with kids the most. Paid DME for example is a whole different beast for a family of 5-6 then 2. Over the last few years I've really felt that Disney isn't concerned about their families anymore (which seems opposite of the original idea). Our next trip will be our last on property. We will be backing way down on Disney. Maybe it's just me and my brothers' families in which case Disney won't care but if it turns out to be all families or most... In 20 years they won't have those kids becoming adults with fond Disney memories willing to splurge on a Disney trip. I wonder if the cost savings in the short term will still be worth it then.

I grew up in a family of 5 staying on property. I think a lot of the changes are affecting families with kids the most. Paid DME for example is a whole different beast for a family of 5-6 then 2. Over the last few years I've really felt that Disney isn't concerned about their families anymore (which seems opposite of the original idea). Our next trip will be our last on property. We will be backing way down on Disney. Maybe it's just me and my brothers' families in which case Disney won't care but if it turns out to be all families or most... In 20 years they won't have those kids becoming adults with fond Disney memories willing to splurge on a Disney trip. I wonder if the cost savings in the short term will still be worth it then.
DME is not the reason thousands of families won't be going to WDW. Disney is NOT cheap and with rising costs that'll keep more away than a transportation service. If you are "backing down" on Disney, why are you still planning a vacation there? I didn't grow up vacationing to Disney every year and I'm a huge fan. I'm sure there are many who did grow up going who don't give a rip about Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!