• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Life After Magical Express

Disneytrippin'

DIS Veteran
I couldn't find a specific thread about other means of transportation to and from MCO once Magical Express ends. Please share your experiences or ask questions about other modes of transportation to and from the Orlando International Airport (MCO).

I will be traveling with 7 adults and 2 children. Is there something similar to Magical Express that could transport all of us and our luggage while offering car seats as well?

i can't relate to traveling with that many people so my advice isn't all that perfect here. but we missed the magic express coming home. we were out to lunch at another resort and completely misjudged the time.

we took an uber from Fort Wilderness to MCO. it cost $23. just FYI.

i can't relate to traveling with that many people so my advice isn't all that perfect here. but we missed the magic express coming home. we were out to lunch at another resort and completely misjudged the time.

we took an Uber from Fort Wilderness to MCO. it cost $23. just FYI.
We have taken Uber to make it to a rope drop or two as well as early morning dining reservations. Since we are traveling next year I am trying to figure out if there are any similar ride options that accommodate us all without having to reserve multiple cars. It would be nice for people like me who are booking larger family reunion type vacations.

We have taken Uber to make it to a rope drop or two as well as early morning dining reservations. Since we are traveling next year I am trying to figure out if there are any similar ride options that accommodate us all without having to reserve multiple cars. It would be nice for people like me who are booking larger family reunion type vacations.

Tony Hinds Transportation is highly recommended. I haven't used him yet (trip keeps getting delayed) but plan to!

We have taken two trips since reopening and rented cars both times, and that went very smoothly. I would recommend just renting a car if you can afford it, as it's very convenient to have independent transportation at Disney World.

That said, I will miss Magical Express. I'm going in March and will take ME, and my son and I will visit WDW in November and will take ME, as a final farewell. I'll be sure to tip the driver well each time as they're probably also sorry that ME is going away.

Last edited:
With a total of 9 people + luggage not sure that is any single rental car that would work, so likely would need 2 vehicles. Any of those online taxi services also have a max number they can carry which I am sure is less then 9. Never used them, but might check on any type of van service offered from the airport as one option. Also depends on how you plan to get around once at Disney. The van service might be the cheapest option overall.

I'm not sure about the car seats, but Mears and several of the car service companies offer large van service that will accommodate your group. I tried to use Tony Hinds one one trip but he was booked and referred me to another driver (can't remember his name).

I plan on just going with Ace Limo or some other similar company. I never have any interest to leave Disney once I’m in the bubble, and being that I travel solo, I’m weird about Ubers. Limo services seem to track their drivers and cars much more carefully.

Plus, it’s direct service. The only thing I’ve never really liked about DME is that it’s not always direct.

Last edited:
Mears owns the Magical Express busses. They will likely continue to use them but charge for the service.
I was wondering about that. I would be willing to pay for the convenience of everyone and all the luggage. Maybe we will hear something about that closer to the end of the year. Finger's crossed.

I plan on just going with Ace Limo or some other similar company. I never have any interest to leave Disney once I’m in the bubble, and being that I travel solo, I’m weird about Ubers. Limo services seem to track their drivers and cars much more carefully.

Plus, it’s direct service. The only thing I’ve never really liked about DME is that it’s not always direct.
I would be willing to do this but we have 7 adults and 2 children and ALL that luggage.

One of the car services I looked at had 10 person vans for $85.00 + tip one way, but they also had a larger van (almost a short school bus) that fit @ 16 people, so I'm sure your group and all of your luggage would easily fit in one of them.

Before DME Mears did have the group or bus service, but I think we found that 4 tix cost almost as much as a car service, but I guess we'll see how it shakes out next year.

I will be traveling with 7 adults and 2 children. Is there something similar to Magical Express that could transport all of us and our luggage while offering car seats as well?
I’m planning for this exact same situation. Of course there are solutions out there (and, while annoying, I’m not even really worried about the extra cost). It just makes me sad that a previously simple, no-fuss, no-thought-required situation is now something that needs to be figured out and managed.

I’m planning for this exact same situation. Of course there are solutions out there (and, while annoying, I’m not even really worried about the extra cost). It just makes me sad that a previously simple, no-fuss, no-thought-required situation is now something that needs to be figured out and managed.
Well as the previous poster stated I hope they still offer the bus service even though they charge.

There is a huge opportunity for someone to invest in a bus and offer rides to and from Disney. Hmmmm, Move to Orlando and be self employed. Tempting.

I was amazed and a little bit upset (actually, a lot upset) when I heard that ME would be going away in 22. I have noticed people saying they have used Uber or got their own car and have suggested that this ma be the new way to get to WDW from the airport. My reasoning to these suggestions is this-when the hundreds of families that arrive every day that usually take ME reach out for Uber or rental opportunities will those opportunities exist? Remember, I am talking about the need for hundreds of uber vehicles or hundreds of more rentals cars available every hour for every day. We are talking a logistical nightmare that I don't see ever coming to fruition. Besides that, I have to ask myself, is it worth the high cost of staying on ground at WDW if I have to arrange for my own transportation, or parking fees at the resort if I rent. I can save, on average, 50% of the cost of a room and stay at a nice hotel but I don't because of the benefits I receive at WDW. Now that these benefits are going away, maybe it's time to look around. C'mon Disney, what the heck? Where is my bang for my buck anymore? Here are a few of the benefits that I have seen go away in the last 3 years. No longer can I rent a wheelchair through the resort. I have to arrange for one through a private company and make arrangements for pickup and return. Pools are closed early (8 PM) rather than (11 PM). Poolside entertainment for children has diminished over the years. Food quality at the restaurants in the parks has really gone downhill. We used to get prime rib, large shrimp, pork loin roast at places like Chef Mickeys or Crystal Palace. When was the last time you have seen that? I love my visits to WDW every year but I am getting a little fed up with the price increases and the whittling away of the perks.

Just FYI, on rideshare vehicles:
  • Max capacity for both Uber and Lyft under Covid restrictions is 3 people for X and 5 for XL.
  • All passengers must wear masks, and drivers may cancel and receive a cancellation fee if everyone is not masked.
  • Lyft has zero vehicles with child seats.
  • Uber has some vehicles with ONE child seat, in both X and XL categories. There is an extra fee for child seat vehicles.
Personally, I use Uber whenever I travel, but I would not even consider rideshare for seven adults and two kids. That's going to be like herding cats on its best day, and definitely not something I'd use rideshare for.

I don't know about the services in Orlando, but here in Miami a lot of our van services tow trailers for luggage, especially at Port Miami. That might be an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter