Lets talk graduation parties

When we first started talking about a party my oldest DD didn't think she wanted one but we said we would just do family. I think now that it gets closer she's actually looking forward to it. We are going the party week after graduation. I'm so lucky that my SIL (my DH's sister) offered to host at her house (bigger, bigger yard and closer to my family). We'll probably only have 25-30. We are using a "tail gate caterer" for the BBQ food. We're doing cupcakes for dessert-I got wooden 2017 numbers I'm going to put them on. DD didn't want to do school colors because she's done with High School and thought it would be "weird" to use college colors so we're just going BBQ/red/white/blue themed. We got some props for a photo booth and I got a few flavored syrups to do an "Italian Soda Bar".
SOunds like fun. I'm doing DD's high school colors she wants to go with school colors. Her college happen to be the same colors- She tells me just save the decoration for when she graduates college-lol!

OP, are you on the Parents of the Class of 2017 thread on the Community Board? If not, you should check it out. Lots of sharing of info on scholarships, college, graduation, etc.

We had a baked potato bar and planned on 200 people. I don't know how many we had but they didn't eat 200 potatoes. They were cheap though so I figured better to have too many than not enough. I think we definitely had over 100 people. We had the potatoes and toppings, fruit cups, mints, mini muffins (from Sam's), and the friend brought cupcakes. It went over really well. Once the potatoes were baked, we just made sure toppings weren't empty. It was a pretty economical meal.

We had 8 round tables out for guests, 4 of which had tablecloths in DD's colors of choice, and 4 with BFF's colors. .

Yes, I'm on the 2017 thread. I need to catch up on reading the post.

Please tell me how you cooked the potatoes. I would love to have a potato bar in the future. Did you bake in the oven or in an electric oven?

So I found a wonderful book that I'm going to have guests sign -- found it as I was looking at "Oh, the Places You'll Go."

I Wish You More - Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Tom Lichtenheld
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1452126992/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's perfect because I'm putting out a project DD did in elementary school: Three Wishes.
I'm going to buy the Dr. Seuss book. I'll check out the I wish you more. love the title and I always tell my daughter I love you more :)

I live in "Bumflip" Wisconsin. Our graduation parties are "open house" affairs with the graduate in attendance...usually 3-6 PM .

I keep reading post on here and instead of graduation party I see some call it open house. I never heard of it referred to it that way. I learned something new :)

We're doing our DD's high school grad party in the backyard. Have badmitton, Yardzee, ladder ball and Slammo for games. I also have an Advice Jar, "How Well do You Know the Graduate" game, and Disney Pictionary with a big white board (she's going to school for Hospitality Management and wants to end up working for Disney).

My menu is:
Subs - Walmart
Broasted Chicken - local restaurant
Potato Salad
Pasta Salad
Veg Trays - Costco
Fruit Trays
Baked Beans
Chips
Olive and Pickle Tray
Cheese Tray
and for dessert my DD wanted a Cookie Buffet (she doesn't like cake). I'll add a small candy buffet to intermix with it.

I'm expecting between 50-70 - not too bad I guess. I just hope it doesn't rain!

My DD picked out her decorations from Party City - not at all related to her school colors!

Please tell me how you cooked the potatoes. I would love to have a potato bar in the future. Did you bake in the oven or in an electric oven?

We baked them in the two gas ovens at church. I just washed them, poked them a couple times, and put them on cookie sheets. No foil. I think it was 425º for an hour and 15 minutes. We used Green Giant Prime Size bakers in an effort to have them somewhat the same size though there was some variation. My mom kept track of which cookie sheets had been in for how long. Then she transferred them to roasters on low to keep warm. We kept steak knives by the roaster at the serving counter for people to cut them open with. I have a pretty detailed post on the Class of 2017 thread with quantities, etc. You can search the thread for baked potato :)

Can you buy those nuggets from a local retailer/grocer, or only from the Chick fil A restaurant?

They are sold only at the restaurants. Each restaurant has a catering dept. They are available either ready to eat (hot) or chilled and then you bake them yourself and in various sizes (number of nuggets). I ordered the chilled ones and baked a few dozen at a time myself, as people were dropping in at different times. They taste fine at room temp., but better fresh from the oven and I didn't want all of them sitting out all day--too much risk of food-borne problems.

DD's party was an Open House, as well. I believe it just refers to the fact that people can come any time and stay for any amount of time between the hours specified. (2-6 in our case). It works well for these types of events when lots of people are having parties on the same day and at overlapping times. Less pressure on the guests, as it isn't a command to show up at a certain time and stay for the whole thing.

My son wants Mexican food for his party too. We have about 80 people invited. Who knows how many will show up ( I hope not everyone we invited!!!). The party will be at our house, open house style. I've never had a party with so many people and I am quite nervous about it.

I have precooked and frozen the meat I have made. I have the warm up trays with the burners underneath. I have 4 trays of taco seasoned ground beef. 3 trays of salsa chicken and 1 tray of fajita steak. I will buy taco shells and soft tortilla circles and tortilla chips. My mom offered to shred the lettuce and also make a salad. I will have cheese and tomatoes and salsa. My mother in law offered to make some type of Mexican biscuit thing.I plan to order the mousse filled cake from Costco. I have 3 cases of water bottles and maybe 25 two liters of a variety of soda.

At Hobby Lobby I bought the numbers 2-0-1-7 and will have people sign them with ultra thin sharpies in his school colors. I also bought a decorative board to mount them onto. I think I am going to have large index type cards or cardstock to have people write "advice" to him and then have string/rope with clothes pins to hang them up.

Thank you for starting this thread to help all of us with ideas.

Last edited:
We went to Sam's and checked out the cakes. We were planning on getting a full sheet t decided on 2- 1/2 sheets $18.?? ea Plus it will be easier to transport. Hubby wane to do Sam's because its easier to get in and out. Costco here is always a nightmare -lol!

Still trying to figure t what centerpieces to do. I'm so excited to use my cash rewards that I've earned whoo-whoo! I love the board r making me a smarter $$ person :)
Here's my budgeting so far
Walmart gc plus WW catcher
Total to spend---------$106.54
Sam's 2 cakes----------$37.00
Sam's 2 watermelons--$10.00
Sam's rolls 2x----------$8.50
Sam's dinner pates-----$10.00
Walmart forks/spoons--$6.50
WW-napkins-------------$2.50
WW-dessert plates------$3.50
Sams ice----------------$6.00
balance $22.54
plus deduct taxes

$40 cash reward
Total to spend---------$40.00
Costco nacho cheese--$10.00
Costco chips 2 Lrg bags$6.00
Grocery store water ---$6.00
Grocery Store beans--$7.00
balance $11.00
plus deduct taxes

I already bought cups from party city bogo sale and decorations $30
I will use $100 American express on meat .December I paid $92 for 23lbs it wasn't on sale so hopefully this time it will be. I need around 35-46lbs of meat

I'm sure theres lil odds and ends I'm missing. I still need to get an estimate for tables and chairs but it will depend on how many RSVP So far we have 28 rsvp's out of the 118. We just send out the invite lastweek and party is in 2-1/2 weeks

having my DD's party at the end of the month. she will be one of the last. she's going to at least 30 all month.

she loves Sams cupcakes. they are good. i'm going to put them in the shape of 2 0 1 7.

we do open houses around here. we are doing it at a lodge that is really reasonable and lots of land. we picked 2-5 on a sunday so we don't have to do a meal. going to do snacks and desserts...like the chick fil a nuggets idea. lots of fruit. etc.

i've made a slideshow. and i'm going to have DD make a playlist of music. we have a speaker that should work.

i'm going to make homemade photo cutouts of her and put along the walkway.

decorations. i'm doing tea lights with vases and flower balls. a vase of her fave flowers and lots of helium balloons.

we are also having a photo booth where people can take pics with props, etc.

for 'to the grad' idea: i'm pondering doing an instant camera and scrap book so people can take pictures with my DD and put in book with a note...camera is $70 and film about $100 so not sure... I might do a big initial where people can sign and she can hang at college. I also saw the jenga idea but she likes the insta camera best.

we are doing outdoor games [hoping for no rain]...corn hole, ladder ball, twister, hula hoops, etc.

I'm hoping to buy plates, napkins and silverware at costco.

what are you all doing for drinks?

Trish

having my DD's party at the end of the month. she will be one of the last. she's going to at least 30 all month.

she loves Sams cupcakes. they are good. i'm going to put them in the shape of 2 0 1 7.

we do open houses around here. we are doing it at a lodge that is really reasonable and lots of land. we picked 2-5 on a sunday so we don't have to do a meal. going to do snacks and desserts...like the chick fil a nuggets idea. lots of fruit. etc.

i've made a slideshow. and i'm going to have DD make a playlist of music. we have a speaker that should work.

decorations. i'm doing tea lights with vases and flower balls. a vase of her fave flowers and lots of helium balloons.

for 'to the grad' idea: i'm pondering doing an instant camera and scrap book so people can take pictures with my DD and put in book with a note...camera is $70 and film about $100 so not sure... I might do a big initial where people can sign and she can hang at college. I also saw the jenga idea but she likes the insta camera best.

we are doing outdoor games [hoping for no rain]...corn hole, ladder ball, twister, hula hoops, etc.

Trish
Canned soft drinks, bottled water, and some juice bags for the younger kids

I have been in planning mode for a while. DS's grad party is on the 17th. Parties are big around here and are open house style also. We invited over 250 guests - not including all the kids DS invites. It sounds like a lot of people (and it is) but I have a very large family and just my immediate family with Aunts/Uncles and Cousins is about 100-125. Then all of our friends and neighbors and it adds up fast. So, I am planning food for 200. DS's friend who lives 2 doors down is having his grad party the same day. We planned it that way as we have all the same groups of friends and neighbors so they can just go from one to the next and make it easier.

We are having pulled pork. I bought 20 Containers frozen from Sam's Club. Also, having Baked Beans and maybe Corn (As DS does not like baked beans) and chips and carrrots/dips. For dessert Cupcakes from Sams Club and Cookies. For drinks my husband know someone with a beer trailer so we will have a keg of beer and a keg of root beer as well as bottled water and lemondade/ice tea. Trying to keep everything as simple as possible. I have a bunch of Electric Roaster Pans that I will use for the Pulled Pork, Beans and Corn. I have most everything bought except for the more perishable items.

We will set up in our garage and driveway/lawn. We have a 3 car garage so the food and drinks will be in there and maybe a few tables. We also have 2 huge party tents we can set up outside. I have rented 12 long tables and 96 chairs. Hoping that should work as the party is from 3-7 so guests will be coming and going during that time.

Actual Graduation is on Sunday the 4th. Getting a bit stressed but it will all come together and work out. I am keeping notes on everything as DD graduates in 2 years so I can see what worked and what didn't and how the quantities on the food was..

Trish
My sister volunteered to make Mexican agua frescas(look up and click images to see what it looks like) =fresh water Mexican fruit flavored water she will make a strawberry lemonade, she will make flavored one with fresh cut up fruit in large jars
Plus we will have waters, 2 liters sprite and coke , some stella rose wine and margaritas.

QUESTION...if I have stella rose wine(backyard party) do I need to have glass wine glasses or would plastic ones be tacky?

We are doing the backyard party for DD's HS graduation in a few weeks. We have big tents (have 1 and friends have 2 more) and some picnic tables and folding tables and chairs. I rented a hot dog steamer and popcorn machine, and we will do cold cuts, potato salad, pasta salad, meatballs, kielbasa, chicken/broccoli/ziti, baked beans (ordered from the local store), Chinese chicken wings (ordered), cheese/crackers, veggies/dip, chips/dip, etc. Beer, Sangria, Soda, Water. Haven't decided on the cake yet. DD doesn't eat cake and wants a cookie cake but they are expensive and don't feed many people. Might get a small one for her and do cake or cupcakes from Sam's or BJ's. Regular plates/napkins/utensils, school colors for cake plates and napkins and table cloths. Expecting about 120 people, thinking everything will run me about $800.

Good luck to everyone doing parties!! Enjoy the day!

We are doing the backyard party for DD's HS graduation in a few weeks. We have big tents (have 1 and friends have 2 more) and some picnic tables and folding tables and chairs. I rented a hot dog steamer and popcorn machine, and we will do cold cuts, potato salad, pasta salad, meatballs, kielbasa, chicken/broccoli/ziti, baked beans (ordered from the local store), Chinese chicken wings (ordered), cheese/crackers, veggies/dip, chips/dip, etc. Beer, Sangria, Soda, Water. Haven't decided on the cake yet. DD doesn't eat cake and wants a cookie cake but they are expensive and don't feed many people. Might get a small one for her and do cake or cupcakes from Sam's or BJ's. Regular plates/napkins/utensils, school colors for cake plates and napkins and table cloths. Expecting about 120 people, thinking everything will run me about $800.

Good luck to everyone doing parties!! Enjoy the day!
You could do a small cookie cake and then just a dessert bar. My niece for her wedding had a small decorated cake for the center and we made cookies, pies, brownies, etc. it was really nice

Trish

Drinks: Beer, Wine punch, soda, water

Ours is Friday night 5:30 - 8:30 in the pavilion at our club. It is being held in conjunction with her best friend. Right now we have RSVPs for about 80 ppl.

Menu:
Grandma's BBQ (think of a sloppy Joe) with slider buns - I made 9 lbs of hamburger into BBQ last night so it is ready to go.
Sam's pinwheels
Chips
Fruit Salad - being made by other mother
Veggie Tray - Sam's
Sam's Cup Cakes - I like the idea of laying them out in a "2017" pattern.

We will have white tablecloths on the tables under the pavilion, white cloths/skirting on food, drink and gift tables.

Decorations are a small swag across front of entrance and balloon bouquets on each of the dining tables (4) and each of the gift tables (2).

I purchased balloons, plates and napkins at Party City. Silverware at Sam's (with a supplement of extra forks from Party City when the number increased).

Last edited:

Trish

Love the idea of putting the cupcakes in the year 2017. We are getting cupcakes from Sam's also. We are doing water bottles, soda cans and koolaid jammers.

We just had our fourth graduation party this weekend. (One more to go!)
We rented a shelter near a park for 250. We had filled cupcakes instead of a cake, wings, chicken, sausage, potatoes, baked beans, pasta salad and fruit. Some items ordered but gma, aunt and oldest daughter helped with cooking and decorating. We played cornhole and giant jenga. Lots of fun!! His sister created an awesome, through the years, picture board, a matted picture to be signed and a school color candy table. Couldn't have done it without her!

How is everyone doing? This has a busy week with award nights and DD's grad night it today. I told hubby we need to go party shopping this weekend. I keep thinking her party is next weekend but next week is graduation. I still have two weeks to go. My mind is a week ahead-lol!

Today hubby wants to go to the party shop and put I order for tables and chairs. I told him only 34 I know said they will be here. Still waiting on another 50 family members to respond and DD's friends 6 out of 30rsvp's but the rsvp respond date by June 10th.

Question: I'm renting round tables.I usually see the cloth table covers on the tables but its usually at halls or nice venues. Will plastic table covers be tacky(back yard party)? Has anyone used the plastic ones and doe it look nice or should I just go with cloth table covers. I'll be pricing the cloth table covers today from a party rental supply store. not sure how much each one would cost to rent(about 12 tables)

These are the beans I made for DS grad party
http://www.chef-in-training.com/2011/05/moms-homemade-refried-beans/#comments

This is the rice
https://savingdollarsandsense.com/copycat-chipotle-cilantro-lime-rice/

Both super easy & both were big hits. We got the rest of the food from a Taqueria inside a Hispanic Grocery store food was amazing and not too pricey for everything we got.

Drinks I did Lemonade and had Raspberry Syrup the kids could add...Raspberry Lemonade is DS's favorite, Ice Tea, Beer And White Sangria.

Ice Crream Machine & toppings bar. and some people still asked where the cake was :mickeybar

Used mypapershop.com great prices.

How is everyone doing? This has a busy week with award nights and DD's grad night it today. I told hubby we need to go party shopping this weekend. I keep thinking her party is next weekend but next week is graduation. I still have two weeks to go. My mind is a week ahead-lol!

Today hubby wants to go to the party shop and put I order for tables and chairs. I told him only 34 I know said they will be here. Still waiting on another 50 family members to respond and DD's friends 6 out of 30rsvp's but the rsvp respond date by June 10th.

Question: I'm renting round tables.I usually see the cloth table covers on the tables but its usually at halls or nice venues. Will plastic table covers be tacky(back yard party)? Has anyone used the plastic ones and doe it look nice or should I just go with cloth table covers. I'll be pricing the cloth table covers today from a party rental supply store. not sure how much each one would cost to rent(about 12 tables)
I bought those paper ones that have a plastic backing. They almost look like cloth but aren't real expensive. They keep the tables from getting sticky too. Mine are for rectangular tables but they make them for round tables too.

My nephews graduation and party were last weekend- so fun- sorry it's over.

It was Mexican themed fiesta. My sister had it at her house/backyard. Stepmom was in charge of decorations and they were super cute- Mexican cut outs, gigantic balloons, Cute letter balloons, Succulent centerpieces in bright pots.

My sis handled Food- Taco trays catered from a local Tex-Mex place. Really delicious and really easy. Rice from the same place. Bowls of chips, guacamole, and a crock of queso.

No cake- a dessert table with ALL the pastries from the Mexican bakery plus sopapillas from the catering restaurant.

Drinks- big silver tubs around the yard filled with iced Topa Chico water, bottled Dr Pepper, Dos Equis, and Corona.

A tip for those whose kids aren't graduating yet: a friend bought new year's decorations in early January on clearance that only had the year on it. (not Happy New Year, obviously) Makes good graduation decor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter