Leaving teaching

Princess_Ariel_5

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. I’ve been teaching high school for 7 years now. 5 of those years have been in the same school and I am tired, worn out, and miserable. I’ve been second guessing teaching for about 2.5 years now. It’s gotten to the point where I am frustrated with the kids, the parents, and administration. I’ve been moved up into a more administrative role this year and I hate it. But also, I teach one period a day and that period is the time of day that I DREAD.

I’ve often thought about more corporate jobs such as something in HR or working in an educational technology company or campus recruiting. Sure, I wouldn’t have the same breaks or days off as my husband who is also a teacher. But if I’m happier, I don’t think I will care. I’ve been doing a lot of research but I have NO idea how to make an impressive resume for anything other than teaching.

One of my friends, also a teacher, keeps telling me I need to try another school before I leave the profession altogether. She thinks it could be different in another school. But in any school, I’ll have frustrating students and parents, I’ll have to create lessons and I’ll still be cranky every Sunday at the thought of having to go back to work.

Has anyone, or do you know anyone who, has left teaching and is happier now? What do you/they do for a career now? How was the transition? I’m just feeling very lost and confused so any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

I don’t have advice about how to switch careers, but as someone who has been teaching for over 25 years, I disagree with your friend. I have worked under great administrations and some pretty bad ones, but one thing that has never changed is how much I enjoy the students. This does not mean, of course, that there haven’t been bad days and moments but the good days far outweigh the bad. If you don’t want to be with the students this early in your career, you will never survive the long haul. I wish you the best in your journey.

1. Changing schools would be my first option. I used to be a chef and would change restaurants approx every 18 months. I loved being a chef but after about 12 months I would get itchy feet, and start feeling disillusioned with the job, the mangers, work colleagues, policies, procedures, work hours etc. Changing restaurants gave me a new lease of life, and I could bring my skills and experience from my previous restaurant to my new job.

2. I have also changed careers and industry and I am now a self employed marketing consultant. Changing careers and industries is hard both mentally and financially. I am lucky, my new career and industry is something I have always had an interest in, and was basically my hobby when I was a chef.

However, its been a long hard road to get to where I am now. I had to retrain, I went back to school and got a marketing degree, I had to do business courses to learn how to run a business. I ended up unemployed and on benefits for a while. I have had to sacrifice alot in my social life and material things to pay for my degree and start my business.

You need to ask yourself
  1. Are your current qualifications and experience relevant and transferable to a different industry?
  2. Do you have the financial resources to support yourself while retraining?
  3. Will you have employment opportunities if you leave the teaching industry?
  4. Are you willing to start at the bottom and only be hired for entry level jobs if you change industries?
  5. Are you willing to take a pay cut and possible have to sacrifice your social life and spending habits?

I left another career that I did not like to become a teacher. The funny thing was that my boss had left teaching to join the career that I left.

I taught elementary school until my boys were born, in the public and private sector. I absolutely loved the private school where I taught, but I enjoyed every school and every child I worked with. I thought I would go back but ended up teaching part time as an adjunct one day a week at a nearby university. It turns out I truly enjoyed working with pre-service teachers just as much as I enjoyed working with children. I was offered the full time position of Lecturer about the time my youngest went to school and it is a lovely way to continue work with pre-service teachers and do service learning courses with inner city schools. I decided not to go back to the elementary classroom. I don't feel like I have the patience anymore, as I use every ounce of it with my own two kids, lol.

As far as and benefits, the pay is low. I do enjoy my schedule very much. I am on campus just two or three days week and home the other two. I grade and plan on my schedule. I work a total of 8 months out of the year and recharge the other months. If you wish to stay in education and have at least a masters degree, you could look into Lecturer positions in education at local universities and even community colleges. I have continued to invest in my 401 K and other retirement options, and have great health benefits. My children will also receive tuition remission if they attend the university where I work, or a 50% discount at 10 other universities in our area.

Another option is tutoring. My friend has searched for tutors for her son, and she has been quoted between $30 and hour up to $75 per hour. Certified teachers make the most. You can also check with your state's Dept. of Ed. and see what might be available.

I am a big fan of doing what you love, so if you are truly miserable, take advantage of any education benefits you receive and take classes that might benefit you not only in your current position, but in the event that you change careers. I am sorry it is draining on you and hope you find a path that leads to happiness in your career.

My friends DIL left taching after about 5 years elementary level, dealing with parents, issues with kids, just didn’t love it and she worked in s very highly rated public school in Virginia. She always had a passion for exercise, eating healthy, her and my friends son did Cross Fit training. So, she wound up working for a new venture which was starting up, she does some personal training and helps the owner run the business, administrative tasks, etc. Good Luck with your future planning, hope that you find a career that you like!:thumbsup2

I wasn't a school teacher but did become a corporate trainer for several years during my career and loved it. Adults only and no parents to deal with! :) Your teaching skills would be translatable to the corporate world but you'd need to gain knowledge of the businesses...they want subject matter experts generally as trainers.

Another aspect of corporate training is being a trainer for a third party company that provides "soft skill" knowledge to other companies. Think: customer service skills, sales skills.

I was lucky that my company was huge and had lot's of directions I could go when I got burned out or got "itchy" feet. Corporate trainer was one of my favorite gigs in my 28 year career.

Change is hard Good Luck!

Hi everyone. I’ve been teaching high school for 7 years now. 5 of those years have been in the same school and I am tired, worn out, and miserable. I’ve been second guessing teaching for about 2.5 years now. It’s gotten to the point where I am frustrated with the kids, the parents, and administration. I’ve been moved up into a more administrative role this year and I hate it. But also, I teach one period a day and that period is the time of day that I DREAD.

I’ve often thought about more corporate jobs such as something in HR or working in an educational technology company or campus recruiting. Sure, I wouldn’t have the same breaks or days off as my husband who is also a teacher. But if I’m happier, I don’t think I will care. I’ve been doing a lot of research but I have NO idea how to make an impressive resume for anything other than teaching.

One of my friends, also a teacher, keeps telling me I need to try another school before I leave the profession altogether. She thinks it could be different in another school. But in any school, I’ll have frustrating students and parents, I’ll have to create lessons and I’ll still be cranky every Sunday at the thought of having to go back to work.

Has anyone, or do you know anyone who, has left teaching and is happier now? What do you/they do for a career now? How was the transition? I’m just feeling very lost and confused so any advice would be helpful. Thank you!
If you have been teaching for 7 years, you have been in service long enough to know if it is the right profession for you or not. If you dread the ONE teaching period you have, I’d say that switching schools would likely not change your feelings.

I would reflect about what exactly was making me so miserable. Is it the subject (maybe you need to teach a different age/subject)? Is is the school- do your philosophies differ from the school’s- then yes, maybe changing would make a difference. If your answer is about the kids- then I would say get out. After 7 years, you should have tapped into how to connect with your population of kids.

Teachers have many skills that can transfer to other careers- organization, time management, planning, presentation, etc. You may need to enhance your computer skills, or get training in HR or whatever you are thinking- but you already have at least a BA/BS, and likely a MA, so a good educational starting point.

I teach as well, and parents/students/admin can always be a pain in the butt. However, I try to focus on the kids who are fun and amazing, the parents who are supportive, and try to steer clear of Admin. I just close my classroom door and do my thing. Some days are good, some days in our school are horrendous, and most are just okay. Years are the same, some are better than others. I work in a difficult district and often contemplate if switching would make my life easier, but there is good and bad to anyplace you work. I worked at a University prior to coming to K-12 and there were drama and issues there as well. There is no perfect work environment, so just realize that if you make a switch outside of teaching things will be different, but there will be pros and cons. Think honestly about the scheduling with your husband before you switch. Not that it should be the reason you stay in teaching, but my husband and I are on different schedules and it stinks.

Campus recruiting will be working with students and you will likely be required to travel. Pay is on the lower side. HR probably offers more growth opportunity. Ed tech, not sure. You can likely do a lot of research, join LinkedIn and go from there.

Best wishes. I hope you figure it out!

Well being happy is important, so I would suggest exploring options within teaching before switching. Sometimes ALL jobs are work. Take a second too and look at the big picture. What benefits are you losing (or gaining) by switching careers? In the district I live in you would have 7 years towards the 30 years (and age 55) needed for lifetime health benefits and a lifetime pension of 70% of your final year's pay.
But my perspective is from an industry where a lot of people quit to take teaching jobs because the overall job is better, especially the pay and benefits.

If the worst hour of your day, the one you dread most, is being in a classroom with students, do everyone a favor, yourself and the students, and get out of teaching as soon as you can. You don't deserve to be miserable and children don't deserve a teacher who hates being with them.

That said, if you are unencumbered, a move might help improve things. In an extreme case, I have a friend who is in a state that is very opposite to her beliefs and the culture is far from what she was brought up in. She hates teaching there. Absolutely hates it. Hates the culture, hates the kids, hates the parents, hates the curriculum. She is very uncomfortable in this state because she doesn't feel she fits in, she doesn't understand the parents and the culture and she is just miserable.

So, she and her husband are moving back to their home state where apparently she was a great teacher, much loved, and she loved her profession.

Another teacher friend also was tired of the classroom. She moved from a coastal city to a big farm in the midwest and is working from home editing text books. She is in her own little slice of heaven.

So, if it is more than just being with the students that is making you miserable, changing your environment might be helpful. If you just dislike being with students period, then you are headed in the right path to finding another career.

Can you contact your alumni career counselors at your alma mater? They often have ideas and tools for alumni that want to switch gears. I just mention that because my son has been utilizing their services for a semi career change (Biochem masters - same degree but wants to move from oil/gas to pharma research) and they have been extremely helpful. They have helped him beef up his resume, helped him network, and have given him great tips steering him in the right direction. He always wanted to do pharma but was lured to the big bucks of the oil/gas offers as a senior. 5 years into it now, he realizes he is miserable and the big bucks doesn't make up for happiness. He knows he will have to start at the bottom again to get all the lab experience he missed, but he is ready and willing to jump ship and Alumni services has been amazing helping him figure out how to do it,

Last edited:
You will most definitely have transferable skills that will help you get another job. But in order to work out which ones are relevant you need to be really specific with yourself about what aspects of your job you really dislike and what could give you satisfaction in work. The things that you do day to day outside of that one period, what skills are needed for that?

I am a qualified teacher, but have spent very little time teaching in schools. I knew from the start that I didn't want to be a teacher though I am passionate about education. Can't be doing with all the pastoral stuff. I have worked as a zoo education officer, university and adult/community education lecturer, education manager for parks, teacher in botanical gardens and environmental centre manager. Most of these jobs don't have the holidays that schools offer, but I didn't mind until I had school age kids and then I negotiated my hours and made a good argument for a term time only part time contract. Have some self confidence - once you work out what it is you want you'll be able to see how your skills and experience has made you perfect for it.

I'm sorry you are so stressed. That's not fun.

May I ask what kind of school you are in? Public, private, charter? Are you in a wealthy or poor area?

From the perspective of a parent..... our kids transitioned from public to private school in high school. The difference in the teachers approach , the freedom they had to teach and the way they were in their classrooms was night & day. They just didn't have to deal with as much politics or bureaucracy, and if a kid misbehave d the teachers were backed up by the administration.
This was a academically challenging school (my kids were academically average, but it was during the dive in the economy and a push to diversify student body) that is not religious based.
Perhaps you could try that situation out? Obviously, I have a limited experience with private so perhaps someone else could chime in?
Regardless, you could not pay me to be a teacher these days. I know there are good schools and good administrations doing their best with what they are given....but at same time kids and their parents sometime seem to be so entitled and ill behaved. We had a young lady in a school district near us who punched a teacher. Punched. That kid wAs back in school 10 days later. In the same school ....
Anyway, just wanted to give perspective from a parent. Good luck to you , and thanks for being a teacher

Good luck with you new future job! To me teaching would be a dream job. My daughter is one and off on vacation traveling this week since it’s spring break. Gets sooo much time off and choose to get paid year round.

I’ve been teaching HS science since I was 22 and now I’m 33 so I have close to 11 years under my belt. When I hit my 7th year of so, I was kind of in the same place as you and extremely miserable about my job. A huge factor was that the district was downsizing by closing schools and no one knew what their job outlook was even though seniority was a factor. The morale was extremely low everywhere. It was horrible.

At that point, I made a big decision and I chose to leave that school district and took another teaching position. I am so glad I did. I am so much happier and the days fly by every month. I don’t dread going to work and my hubs remarked during my first year that he was happy to see me not so miserable anymore. I’m now in my third year at my current school and I have to say that I still love my job. Of course the paperwork and some irate parents can be an issue at times but most of my students make up for that. I’m glad I made the move to another district where I do feel valued and parents are active participants in their kids’ education. Although if you dread being with the kids or active teaching, maybe it is time to move on from the field.

You'll have to examine what made you pursue teaching to begin with, to help you decide if you want to continue. Have you considered teaching cyber school? I had a friend who did that and she loved it, it was more flexible than teaching in a brick and mortar school and she didn't have to deal with parents. She made a lot less than she would have made working in a traditional school. Teenagers are difficult to deal with, are you certified to teach younger students? If you still enjoy working with kids but maybe are burned out on working with mouthy teenagers I'd try finding a position in k-4.

I understand what you're going through. I've been in your shoes and actually find myself there again. This is my 30th year and I can retire at the end of the year, but have already committed to at least one more year.

Statistics show that 40-50% of teachers leave the profession after 5 years. Depending on where you are, low pay, stress over testing, poor administration or parental support, and student motivation and behavior are some of the big reasons teachers leave every year.

I've been at the same school for all of my years. I've seen the school move from middle class to the 90-95% free and reduced lunch that it is now. With the change the stress as increased greatly. We not only teach the students, we also have to feed them, clothe them, and provide many more services than we used to. Everything must be taught and completes in the school day as our kids are not able to complete or even attempt homework for a variety of reasons. That puts a lot more pressure on us to move faster with less resources and teaching time because we are often busy dealing with a non-educational situation. For example, we were hit with the blizzard last week and had two snow days. On Friday I asked one of my 8th graders if she had fun. Her response was no as they found out they were being evicted at the end of April because the landlord is going to let her daughter live there. So while other students worked on an assignment, her and I talked about what that meant for her and her family.

The crazy things that administration, not always building level admin, but district administration comes up with is enough to drive many away. It's shocking how many decisions are made by people who've never stepped foot into a classroom as a teacher.

OP, know that you're not alone in your feelings. Many of our younger teachers are right there as well. Maybe your school is not the right fit. Before leaving all together, I would look at other schools or districts and try a move first. The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but it will give you another chance to see if teaching really is the wrong fit or if it was just your situation.

Random thoughts:

- I've been a teacher almost 30 years, and -- yes -- as someone above said, the administration at your school does matter. I have worked under wonderful principals, and I have worked under sadists and incompetents. Trying a move to another school is a pretty good idea; you're trained for this job, and you have put in almost a decade -- see if a different school would make a difference. Of course, administration changes, so finding a school that you like NOW may not mean you'll still be happy in 5-6 years. As someone else said, even with the best of administration, you'll have bad days -- but that's going to happen in any job.

- Teaching at a different level is also a great idea. Community college, the corporate world, even something like a zoo -- if you know how to teach, you can teach any information.

- Teaching has changed SIGNIFCANTLY in the time I've been in the classroom, and -- yes -- everyone is less happy. Teachers, parents, students. All of us. We are choked with extra duties, and preparing lesson plans seems to be last on the list: parking lot duty, reading tests aloud to students, attending another training in something you'll never use are all more important than giving your kids a solid lesson tomorrow. And let's not even talk about testing.

- If you're going to leave, consider WHEN you should leave. If you leave now, will you be able to draw a small pension from what you've deposited (someday, obviously, not soon)? Consider carefully what you can do with your current pension deposits. Would passing the 10-year mark make a difference in your retirement?

- If you left your current job, how easy would it be to return? Obviously you're not foolish enough to burn bridges as you leave, but IF you decide 2-3 years from now that the corporate world sucks too, could you reasonably return to teaching in your area? Here in the South, the answer would be a resounding "Yes, can you start tomorrow?", but things aren't the same everywhere.

- Someone mentioned teaching online. I'm considering getting into that as a part-time retirement job. I don't know that every state is the same, but here are the basics for my state: It's hard to get those jobs, and you must complete a one-semester internship (for free) before being hired. Once hired, your lesson plans are handed to you -- no need to write them up, no creativity required (or even allowed). You're allowed to say how many students you'd like to teach -- if you're new, they'd probably limit you to 30-40, but once you've built up a good reputation, you could teach several hundred each semester, if you like. You need to do LOTS of communication with the kids, and you need to talk to parents on the phone every 2-3 weeks. You are paid something like $375/student at the end of the semester, and you receive no pension and no benefits for your work -- JUST the per student paycheck. So, yeah, it's less profitable than classroom teaching, but it is a whole different ball game.

- Yes, three out of five new teachers leave the profession within five years. That's been true a long time, but young teachers are leaving the profession in droves now ... and more are building escape plans through second degrees, etc. We old teachers are staying because we're so close to our pensions.

- Finally, to back up what someone else said, anything else you go to is going to be WORK. My mama said, "If it were easy and fun, they wouldn't pay you to do it." Be sure you don't get yourself into a "grass is greener" situation. Fortunately, you have summer coming up; that's a great time for you to explore another job and see if you really want to make this move.

Thank you everyone for your feedback and advice. I have a lot to think about. To answer some questions - I USED to love teaching and I do have great relationships with kids because I don’t let my frustrations or annoyances show unless I am behind closed doors. I would never want them to feel badly about themselves because I am unhappy.

I teach in a very good school in NYC in a middle class area. I have tenure in the system and if I leave the field, I have 5 years to return and maintain my tenure.

My admin has changed recently and I, along with other teachers, are extremely unhappy. I know I’m leaving (or at least trying to) at the end of this year, but the question is do I try one more school or do I just leave education altogether?

And we do not get paid for 12 months of work even if we have the summers off, at least in NYC. Here, we get paid for 10 months spread out over 12. Yes, teachers have many days off but many teachers also work second jobs on those days off.

I’m still so torn but I think my best bet is to apply to other schools and some corporate jobs and see how I feel when I go on interviews.

Thank you all so much for your feedback and advice.

I wish you the very best-my last few years working in a HS library I saw several young teachers leave. For many of the reasons Mrs. Pete gave. It broke my heart to see these smart, hardworking young people leave the profession, but I understood why. My daughter is an elementary school librarian and has 14 years in (and luckily loves her job) but if she was in college now I would discourage her from going into teaching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter