Leaving Infant in the car.....

I never have left small children in a car and never would. I remember my mother saving three young children whose mother had left them to briefly go into a store. We parked beside their car and my mother was going into the store when their car began to roll backward (it was on an incline) towards a 5 lane road which was thick with fast moving cars. Honestly, I still cannot believe my mother moved that fast at her age, but she somehow RAN and got into that car and managed to stop it rolling just before it would have entered traffic. She thought perhaps the emergency brake was not on or even malfunctioned. She was too rattled to check out all the details. If my mother hadn't managed to stop that car, the children would have doubtless been injured, possibly even killed. She made me promise, then and there, to never leave kids alone in a car while I ran into a store.

I routinely did it whenever I wasn't actually going to enter another buillding..for example, parking in front of a video store and dropping the video off about 5 feet away, or getting money from the outside ATM when I could practially lean back and touch the car. It just didn't make any sense to me to take DS out of the car to drag him the 5 feet in the rain or snow or blazing sun.

I'm perplexed at how people steal cars so readily -- when they are locked and you have the keys?

My mom was second oldest of 6 kids (5 girls and youngest was a boy) who were always left in the car at places (though it was the 50s and very different times). She told me a story of one time she and a few of her sisters were in the car when a perv walked up and did something really nasty at the window for them to see. That sealed the deal that I would never leave my kids in the car (unless I could see them the whole time...like dropping off books at the outside library slot)...too many sickos out there.

I'm perplexed at how people steal cars so readily -- when they are locked and you have the keys?

Seriously? :lmao: never heard of the term "chop" shop? You must not live in a big city. I know folks who can steal your car in less then 3 minutes, have it down at the chop shop, strip it and bring it back to you quicker than you can get through a mcdonalds drive thru. (no I don't hang out with them, my dad was a beat cop and my bf is a district attorney, you meet some very interesting folks hanging out with people in law enforcement. LOL)

Op, I did this many times when my kids where younger. I wouldn't leave the keys in the car or leave the car running but I definitely left them in the car to run into the cleaners or use the ATM machine.

never thought any thing of it. Now I know there is a chance that my car will burst into flames, begin to roll and end up in the river, get hit by lighting and get smashed by a runaway garbage trunck but if I tried to control every "what if" scenerio, I'd never leave the house.

then of course the turned into evil teenagers and I'd try to leave them... they followed.

Seriously? :lmao: never heard of the term "chop" shop? You must not live in a big city. I know folks who can steal your car in less then 3 minutes, have it down at the chop shop, strip it and bring it back to you quicker than you can get through a mcdonalds drive thru.

Op, I did this many times when my kids where younger. I wouldn't leave the keys in the car or leave the car running but I definitely left them in the car to run into the cleaners or use the ATM machine.

never thought any thing of it. Now I know there is a chance that my car will burst into flames, begin to roll and end up in the river, get hit by lighting and get smashed by a runaway garbage trunck but if I tried to control every "what if" scenerio, I'd never leave the house.

Another reason I'm not a city person! :thumbsup2 Heck I dont even lock my car door when I park it out in front of my house! At least I dont leave the keys in the car anymore :rotfl:

Another reason I'm not a city person! :thumbsup2 Heck I dont even lock my car door when I park it out in front of my house! At least I dont leave the keys in the car anymore :rotfl:

:rotfl2: It takes me 12 minutes to unlock my front door. If my house ever catches on fire, I'm toast!! and I'm not even in Philly proper.

:rotfl2: It takes me 12 minutes to unlock my front door. If my house ever catches on fire, I'm toast!! and I'm not even in Philly proper.

Wait you lock your front door? :confused3 My dead bolt doesn't even work just the dinky little lock on the door knob :rolleyes1 I will say I do lock my kids in the car when I leave them there.. its more for everyone elses safety than theirs.. my 4 yr old is a terror. :headache:

My car doesn't even lock. The window regulator separated from the window and the window fell into the door. Had to remove the door panel and when I put it back together, the speaker surround would fall out. Then the door lock lever would fall out. Get that attached and the speaker surround fell again. After about 8 times pulling the panel back off to fix either of those, thought I had it and put all the screws back in. Nope, stupid door lock was unattached again. Now it doesn't lock.

We've been known to leave the house unlocked and even the garage door open. "Heck, we'll only be 3 hours for a quick run to the store, leave it open."

Seriously? :lmao: never heard of the term "chop" shop? You must not live in a big city. I know folks who can steal your car in less then 3 minutes, have it down at the chop shop, strip it and bring it back to you quicker than you can get through a mcdonalds drive thru. (no I don't hang out with them, my dad was a beat cop and my bf is a district attorney, you meet some very interesting folks hanging out with people in law enforcement. LOL)

then of course the turned into evil teenagers and I'd try to leave them... they followed.

I live near Detroit now; and I certainly wouldn't leave anyone in the car downtown. But out in the 'burbs, no one I know has had their car stolen outside a convenience store or small shop in a few minutes. I know of people who have had their car go missing in mall parking lots, though.

Didn't ever do that with either of ours. Just recently started to leave the 12 year old in the car in charge of the 7 year old under those circumstances. Still won't for a trip inside where they'd be out of view.

Wow, where do you live? I was babysitting at 12.

I guess I'm a 'terrible' mom. I leave my youngest almost everyday in the car (turned off, no keys, doors locked) while I walk my oldest up the LONG sidewalk that leads to his school. And-I do this 2x per day-In and Out!
1. I'm in a school zone so the speed limit is 10mph and I'm not really concerned with someone hitting my car parked along the side of the road.
2. It's a school zone and the only people that are there are dropping off their own kids and most likely wouldn't want to go home with any 'extras'.
3. There are a lot of people around and it would be very very obvious if someone was trying to break into my car.

If we walk to school I also leave him in his stroller right outside the door (windowed) when I have to go sign out the oldest. There is no stroller ramp and for the 25 seconds it takes to sign my initials and collect my son I really can't see unstrapping the baby and carrying him in and out. If you know what it's like to get a toddler into/out of a stroller you'd agree with this.

Also, to the PP who said she used to let her sleeping kids stay sleeping in the driveway-I do this too! With my older one though, not the baby. I only get scared that he'll wake up and be scared-not that he will get hurt or anything. I crack the windows or leave the door open and only do this during the day. I keep my eye on him too. I'm not a complete loon!

Wow, where do you live? I was babysitting at 12.

Mine juuuuuust turned 12 and it's a little different with siblings that grew up as "equals" than with someone else's kids. Oldest is allowed to stay home alone. We won't let her watch her sister 'til next year.

I did it often when my kids were too small to get out of their carseats by themselves so long as I could see the car. I haven't read all the replies but so many people commented about the cars and/or kids being stolen, why wouldn't you lock the car, I always did:confused3 My usual places were Cumbies for milk, the local chinese take out, those kinds of places...I certainly didn't do my weekly shopping or anything like that.

But, once they were old enough to get themselves out of their seats and up until they were probably 10 years old, I didn't trust them to stay put for any length of time so I either left them at home or brought them into the store/market with me.

Today when I was shopping, I saw a woman run into the pizza place we were eating at to pick up take out. She was parked right up front, steps from the store. I noticed her child still buckled in the carseat in the car-the child was sleeping. The lady was gone from her car all of 5 minutes to pick up her food.

I am a new mom and I am so paranoid about leaving my baby even for a minute so I can use the bathroom & I bring my video monitor with me!!

Is it typical for people to do what this mom did?

NEVER. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. If you can't take the baby/child out of the car with you, then don't go. Period.

My DD11 and DD14 can stay in the car alone whenever they don't want to come into the shops with me, and I certainly don't have any qualms about it. They are responsible, mature kids who know better than to mess with the car's controls, and would be perfectly able to scream bloody murder should someone try to break in/steal the car. I also let each of them walk alone to and from school (about a mile) along busy roads. I will say, though, that we live in a 'safe' community with little crime of any sort.

When my kids were small, I certainly left them in the car when paying for gas, running quickly into a convenience store, or returning my shopping cart. I would be interested in seeing statistics of children injured while walking through parking lots with their mothers vs. being harmed in a car jacking. I suspect the relative risks would be very eye-opening.

My DD11 and DD14 can stay in the car alone whenever they don't want to come into the shops with me, and I certainly don't have any qualms about it. They are responsible, mature kids who know better than to mess with the car's controls, and would be perfectly able to scream bloody murder should someone try to break in/steal the car. I also let each of them walk alone to and from school (about a mile) along busy roads. I will say, though, that we live in a 'safe' community with little crime of any sort.

When my kids were small, I certainly left them in the car when paying for gas, running quickly into a convenience store, or returning my shopping cart. I would be interested in seeing statistics of children injured while walking through parking lots with their mothers vs. being harmed in a car jacking. I suspect the relative risks would be very eye-opening.

Your kids are teens/tweens. They can protect themselves. Completely different than leaving an infant alone in a car.

Mine juuuuuust turned 12 and it's a little different with siblings that grew up as "equals" than with someone else's kids. Oldest is allowed to stay home alone. We won't let her watch her sister 'til next year.

Equals? There is not much 'equal' about a 12 and 7 year old. I used to babysit for my little brother from the time I was 11 and he was 2. My parents both worked. I think that assuming responsibilities for "someone else's" kids is a bigger deal.

I did it often when my kids were too small to get out of their carseats by themselves so long as I could see the car. I haven't read all the replies but so many people commented about the cars and/or kids being stolen, why wouldn't you lock the car, I always did:confused3 My usual places were Cumbies for milk, the local chinese take out, those kinds of places...I certainly didn't do my weekly shopping or anything like that.

But, once they were old enough to get themselves out of their seats and up until they were probably 10 years old, I didn't trust them to stay put for any length of time so I either left them at home or brought them into the store/market with me.

I agree. If DS was strapped into a car seat, asleep, and car locked what could happen? This obviously only applies to places where you can see the car, small places like a Dominoes or something.

Your kids are teens/tweens. They can protect themselves. Completely different than leaving an infant alone in a car.

If someone takes the keys out of the car, and goes into the dry cleaners, pizza place, etc., what is the infant not being protected FROM?

No one is talking about leaving a baby in a car in a big parking lot and going into Target to get 10 things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter