Leather or not: Suggestions for a new couch

Another vote for leather. Mine's survived 2 kids, a dog, & 5 cats plus 20yrs at my mom's house before I inherited it. Still looks as good as it did when they bought it! Everything & I mean everything wipes off. My microfiber couch started to look icky after about a year & while washing the cushions makes them look new, I still haven't figured out an effective way of cleaning the rest of it. :confused3 Plus, the fur issue others mentioned.

Hey OP, your post has helped me decide on a new leather couch for our family room. Can anyone recommend a brand/store that is budget for leather?

We bought leather 2 years ago - 1 dog - who gets on the coach and 2 ds's under 10. They have held up great. We bought through a local store. They offered a protection plan that we took - haven't needed that yet, but I was worried someone or animal may cause a problem.

Don't have any problems in summer or winter.

I would buy leather again.

I already posted but... I have to say the leather is great with pets....I never realized it that it would be. That was why I was so afraid for so long to get leather. Had I known it would of been fine... I would of done it LONG ago!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the leather!!

Our leather sofa and loveseat are going on 17 years and one of the best investments we've made....at the time we didn't have a dog (now we do), but he does not go on the furniture. There are a few scratches towards the bottom where he's tried to get his toy, but overall the couches look great. Now the springs are another problem, they are shot. The couches have given us many years of joy and now we need to look for new ones, but really don't want to let these go... The leather is great, it gets 'softer' over the years, body oils keep it subtle, no smell and soooo easy to keep clean. Also, the leather is 'cool' in the summer and 'warmer' in the winter (to touch). When we purchased the leather couch the store owner (local shop) had given us a swatch of the leather - it's very thick, so see if you can get one (it's also attached to the couch under the cushions). This was how we could tell we weren't getting a 'thin' leather, but rather a substantial leather (and not bi-cast leather - which is a split leather with a layer of polyurethane applied to the surface and then embossed).

My great room has leather, we're on a second set, first lasted over 12 years with our other dog, BIG who loved to curl up on it. We replaced it and have another dog, smaller but he too, loved it and we allow him on it.

IMHO, they wear really well if you buy a good quality leather, and we chose to go all leather versus vinyl in parts. It "wears" like an old pair of leather boots, getting softer and softer, there are different grades actually, some being so soft to start with that they will mar, scrape evn scratch easily, so we did Not choose that. they come in all colors (we're more of a natural rustic/country look) and we LOVE them.
My only regret was that I should have also bought leather for the living room, I hate cleaning the couches (cotton?) which get icky and I actually cover them. So, for us, leather has worked well, with family pets and Holiday spills etc. Oh as far as "cold" yes it does feel cool till you warm it up, but in the summer warm mos, it more than makes up for that :lmao:
Good Luck deciding, we bought local and the prices really due vary, search around consider shipping rather than retail.
Good Luck OP! :wizard:
Oh, one of our rooms has micro fiber i could SCREAM about that, seriously....worse thing we ever bought and it is going to trash when I get around to it.....it gets pilly somewhat and the wear is awful....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter