• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Le Cellier... eh

smileycrissy

DIS Veteran
Ok, so I'm new to the board and just recently moved to the Orlando area. All I keep hearing is to check out 'Le Cellier Steakhouse' on here. I keep reading that it's really great, delicious, etc. So we lucked out earlier this week and were able to get a reservation for 8 tonight. I've been excited since. :woohoo:

We ordered the prix fixe so we could fully enjoy all the menu had to offer. We both ordered the Cheddar Cheese soup for apps; I got the King Salmon both ways (not a big steak eater) and fiancee got the prime rib; for desserts he got the choocolate 'moose' and I got the Maple Creme Brulee. So I repeat I was really excited to be tasting the infamous Cheddar Cheese soup...however it didn't live up to the hype. Don't get me wrong, it was good. But Campell's Chunky has a baked potato soup that tastes almost the same. I was a little disappointed because I was expecting something that was going to throw my socks off. So we moved onto the entrees - the salmon in the hoisin sauce was really delicious, the one in the coconut was ok. The fiancee thought his prime rib was just 'ok'. Then desserts - I really enjoyed the Maple Creme Brulee - it was the most delicious thing I had for the night:love:. I tried the fiancee's 'moose' - it was good but I really enjoyed the brulee more.

All in all it was an average dining experience. Like I said I was really expecting something to knock my socks off but I didn't get that feeling from this place.

We're just curious that if 'Le Cellier' is one of the more popular restaurants and we thought it was 'Eh', are the rest of the Disney restaurants the same? I'm wondering if perhaps the hotel restaurants are better than the parks?

I don't mean to spark a big debate on how good 'Le Cellier' is - I was just curious if others felt the same about it.

Thanks.

Hmmm...

Last week was my 19th WDW visit...and I was (finally ) able to land a Le Cellier ADR for THursday night...

It BLEW MY SOCKS OFF>.......

Got the Cheddar Cheese Soup and the Mushroom filet... DS18 felt the same way... BEST meal of the whole trip... (and we "also" did California Grill, Hollywood's Brown Derby, etc.)

I guess it's just based on one's own opinion...

Hugs,
Mary

Le Cellier only gets hype because of the Disney Dining Plan. It's got its reputation because it's a 1 table service credit restaurant in a theme park that serves steak. And because seating capacity is smaller than many restaurants, it's difficult to get the ADR there.

Because of the difficulty getting ADRs, that only added to the hype. I find that unfortunate, because there are good restaurants. There are lots of boring food items, but every once in a while something might surprise you. (For me, it was the arctic char "sustainable fish" entree for dinner at Sanaa in December. It was fantastic.)

Thanks BriarRosie for your info on the hype concerning Le Cellier. That does explain a lot. I'll keep that in mind for Sanaa. We're definitely going to want to check out some of the Disney restaurants (in the parks & in the hotels) so it's good to hear some recommendations. :)

I'm not a big fan of the soup either, but the filet is FANTASTIC. It may depend on what you order. I've not read many reviews on the prime rib and none on the salmon. The maple creme brule is my favorite dessert ever!!! :cloud9:

The one and only time we ate at LeCellier was years ago and before the DDP. The food was good to excellent, atmosphere a bit drab, and the service was awful.

Giving it a try again on our upcoming trip. If we get similar food and decent service, we'll be happy.

i too, ordered the salmon when i went to lecellier last month and it wasnt really anything to write home about. i also agree that the hoisin salmon was delicious and the coconut salmon was more like 'meh'. my mom thought her mushroom filet was to die for and my dad thought his was okay. i guess like everything and anything, everyone has their own opinions. i do think that it does get a bit too much credit though.

I'm not a big fan of the soup either, but the filet is FANTASTIC. It may depend on what you order. I've not read many reviews on the prime rib and none on the salmon. The maple creme brule is my favorite dessert ever!!! :cloud9:

I have been to Le Cellier a number of times and love it. I am in agreement with both of you about the soup... not a big fan, plus it is way too filling to eat before eating a steak. I have also had prime rib there, and it is not my favorite... and I do love good prime rib. But the mushroom filet is one of the best steaks I have ever had... anywhere. Melts in your mouth. And the Maple Creme Brulee is really delicious. My favorite bread on property is the pretzel bread (which you can also find at Biergarten.)

I find that there are many restaurants at Disney that are very good. A few are exceptional. I have eaten at a number of the restaurants, but not all. I am looking forward to trying the ones I haven't made it to yet.

Some we like:

• Coral Reef for the seafood and Chocolate Wave
  • Chefs de France has really good food, but is generally really crowded
  • If you like ahi tuna, you must try Tuna Oscar at Kona Cafe
  • Boma has some really good and unusual things and because it is a buffet you can try them in small amounts
  • If you're looking for a great burger, try the one at Grand Floridian Cafe... it is Angus beef and comes with lobster and hollandiase
  • Best atmospheres... althought the food is not exceptional, just o.k. ... are San Angel Inn, Biergarten (both in EPCOT) and Sci Fi (in DHS)

pixiedust: Maybe they'll sprinkle a little extra pixiedust in your food, since you are new to the restaurants. LOL. Have fun eating your way around the world!

I always feel everyones taste differs which explain why almost every restaurant gets such mixed reviews. We are normally easy to please but..

We hated the food at Crystal Palace, many disers LOVE it, food was cold and almost never replenished on the buffett

We disliked Kona another much loved place, food was bland including my tuna oscar

We like Mama Melrose and it gets alot of hate, food good, service a little slow

We disliked Tangerine Cafe which was a surprise we all LOVE mediteranian cuisine and this place also gets rave reviews , meats were either dry or greasy.

We always like to try new restaurants out and make the decision for ourselves..

The soup at Le Cellier is eh to me but I LOVE the mushroom filet with cream cheese potatos and the maple creme brule its what I get every time I go, if they were to take it off the menu I probably wont go back..The first time we went to Le Cellier I didnt enjoy my meal Im not a big steak eater and the waitress talked me into a cut of beef Id never had before and it seemed a bit chewy to me so I disliked it very much, I wouldnt have returned if not for DS, then I tried the filet and fell in love!

We ate at Le Cellier last year and found it 'average' . In fact we had to send back one plate of undercooked chicken that was for our DS2!! Its not an ADR that I would worry about, there are better places to eat that are less expensive.

There is no consensus regarding the quality of any Disney restaurant, including a popular place like Le Cellier. Opinions vary so drastically that it's almost useless to bother reading reviews on these boards.

I assure you many people share your feelings about Le Cellier. I have never understood the hype. It's an average steakhouse that costs just one credit on the dining plan. I almost guarantee a majority of Le Cellier lovers have a better steakhouse not far from their hometown for roughly the same price. But because the dining plan allows people to have a steak dinner for one credit, it is impossible to secure a reservation.

A rumor has surfaced recently suggesting that Le Cellier is preparing to convert to a two-credit location. If that happens, I suspect the buzz will finally dissipate.

And thank goodness for that.

I think this is a combination of two things: so much hype that it's hard to live up to and differing tastes.

I was in the same boat a few years ago when we ate there for the first time. For me, it lived up to the hype. I had the cheese soup, the mushroom filet, and the maple creme brulee. In my opinion, all were excellent. I still remember that meal being one of the best on the trip.

People are always going to have different opinions. We like Tony's Town Square at MK, but I often seen bad reviews for it here. On the flip side, people really seem to like San Angel at Epcot, but we were not all that impressed. The bottom line is that not everyone is going to like every restaurant every time. I take the reviews with a grain of salt and hope for the best.

Can't wait to get to Le Cellier in October, now I am thinking of the mushroom filet.

I agree with you...We were extremely underwhelmed..For a themepark eatery it is good.But I can get better( and have) steaks at Ruth Chris, Smith and Wollenskys etc.

but le Cellier is just average. We are never on the dining plan so we pay out of pocket so we go for the best for the money. Oh...and they are seriously talking about changing it to a two credit dinner. We have had decent food there but I make better steaks (ribeye and fillets) at home on the grill. We try to have something when we are at Disney that I don't make at home like japanese, chinese, german etc.

If you want average food eat there. If you want exceptional try another place. We've had good and bad experiences eating at the same restaurant in the same year but we have a three strikes and you're out policy. Both of the Mexican eateries are on the never repeat list.

The best tool we have found to encourage Disney to make their dining experiences better whether it is the food, the service or something else is to give them direct feedback through guest relations.

I miss Papetee Bay Verandah!

I have to agree with others who have posted that it's all a matter of personal taste and preference. My family loves Le Cellier, it's been our favourite meal our last three trips to the world but I respect others opinion when they say they were underwhelmed or their experience was lacking. I have had disappointing experiences at other restaurants that members here rave about (Cali Grill, Chefs, Crystal Palace) and wonderful experiences at restaurants that have received many bad or so-so reviews (Nine Dragons, San Angel Inn, Tony's). I'm a firm believer in making up your own mind, so I always believe you need to try a place if it interests you, regardless of the reviews it's received and then decide if it's an experience you want to repeat. Sorry Le Cellier was a disappointment for you!

To be honest, I only went to Le Cellier because of the disboard rave reviews and both my DD and I were disappointed. Neither of us felt it was all that either. :( It was alright, but definitely won't be wasting money on going back there. That being said, there are a lot of great Disney restaurants! It depends on what you like, your opinion on "good restaurants" outside of Disney, and the staff on duty. Honestly, that makes all the difference in the world! If Olive Garden is your cup of tea, you'll love Tony's Town Square. If Olive Garden makes you go ew, then you probably won't like Tony's Town Square. Just giving those as an example. I've seen people go back and forth on the boards arguing opinions, but really, it's up to the individuals palate. I love Coral Reef in Epcot, some hate it. I adore Chefs de France, some have turned up their nose lol. Keep trying! That's my best advice, and part of the fun!! Disney has a lot of great places to offer... and when you find the ones you like, come back and share! :)

I haven't eaten there, but this is what I've noticed: The more hype something gets, the higher my expectations are, and the more disappointed I am.

That's for pretty much all things...everything from food to books. If it gets too much hype, my expectations are way out of proportion to what I actually get.

So, with that in mind, always take the hype with a grain of salt.

IMHO, le Cellier is a good restaurant that gets rave reviews only by comparison to the rest of the mediocre restaurants in Epcot. Its not bad - its just that it really doesn't deserve its reputation.

Thanks to everyone for explaining the hype behind 'Le Cellier'. It makes sense now.

I know I won't let this turn me away from dining at Disney again. I'm actually thinking of getting the Tables in Wonderland card since I really want to check out all of the suggestions you gave me. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter