Latest School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't watch a lot of news. Its on in the a.m. and I listen to it while getting ready for work but something like Oliver North, I would tune out anyway. I don't remember the last time I even paid attention to anything about the NRA.

I usually see something like this school shooting posted on the news channel's FB and will then watch when I get home but not on a daily basis.

I find this very interesting. You obviously have an interest in issues relating to gun violence and mass shooting (I'm basing that on your activity on these types of thread). It seems strange to me that you wouldn't stay even mildly informed about what's going on with the NRA given their huge influence.

I find this very interesting. You obviously have an interest in issues relating to gun violence and mass shooting (I'm basing that on your activity on these types of thread). It seems strange to me that you wouldn't stay even mildly informed about what's going on with the NRA given their huge influence.

I don't really care about the NRA. I have my opinions and beliefs that may or may not be different than what they push. There are a lot of issues that I have an opinion about but do not really follow whatever organization has influence about that issue.

No. Kids that go on ritalin are actually a lot calmer once they start taking the medication. Sure I guess one can have a violent adverse effect, but it's a very rare side effect that usually is associated with overdosing. The only school shooters that were had taken ritalin were in Wisconsin and Oregon and those boys had actually gone OFF the medication months before they murdered.

The NRA is becoming such a joke when it comes to finding any other excuse to violence that even some Fox News hosts can't take them seriously. And Oliver North? Really? I think that man has connections to violence and terrorism on his own hands. Oh wait...they aren't terrorists; they're freedom fighters that Ollie should be illegally funneling weapons and money too. :sad2:

And what makes it more frightening, IMO, is that they're just parroting internet conspiracy theories that have been circulating for a long time. I've been hearing the "side effect of ritalin (or antidepressants)" theory almost as long as the "false flag/crisis actor" nonsense... but now it is coming from the president of the NRA, from a national stage that many people believe has credibility.

"My area had two schools closed today due to threats and another sent out a robo call that it will have "increased police presence" tomorrow."

I don't think these are new. I remember people calling in threats to school at the end of the school year decades ago. I think schools are giving it more credence than they used to.

We had bomb threats every now and then at my high school..it's nothing new. We also had a lockdown due to a bullet shell found by the bathroom, profanity with graffiti on the stadium. All of this before social media exploded onto the scene.

Thanks, guys - makes me feel more like it's kids trying to get out of class than serious copycats so close to home.

Last edited:
I don't really care about the NRA. I have my opinions and beliefs that may or may not be different than what they push. There are a lot of issues that I have an opinion about but do not really follow whatever organization has influence about that issue.

I don't mean that the nra should in any way influence your own opinion based on what their current taking point are.
It appears to be a case of not really being well informed. The NRA is such a huge player when it comes to guns in our country. It's not like this Ollie North news was obscure, it was all over the news, his comments on this shooting have been also. How can you have any type of real discussion when you don't know basic things about one of the major players?

And what makes it more frightening, IMO, is that they're just parroting internet conspiracy theories that have been circulating for a long time. I've been hearing the "side effect of ritalin (or antidepressants)" theory almost as long as the "false flag/crisis actor" nonsense... but now it is coming from the president of the NRA, from a national stage that many people believe has credibility.
Keep in mind the NRA goal is to sell more guns, so no restrictions and guns must be sexy, that is they the float any idea possible to divert attention away from them

Why doesn't the USA look to countries without mass shootings and follow what they have done? Seems like a fairly obvious suggestion.

Our drunk driving laws are similar to many other nations that don’t have drunk driving issues, yet we have them here.

We also tried copying other countries on gun laws from the 60’s through the 90’s and saw our homicide rate continue to climb. We’ve done kind of the opposite since and seen it go down.

So no, I don’t think it’s all that simple.

Our drunk driving laws are similar to many other nations that don’t have drunk driving issues, yet we have them here.

We also tried copying other countries on gun laws from the 60’s through the 90’s and saw our homicide rate continue to climb. We’ve done kind of the opposite since and seen it go down.

So no, I don’t think it’s all that simple.

I agree. Gun laws don't exist in a vacuum. There are a lot of things about American law and culture that are so different from the rest of the developed world that copying just one component can't reproduce other nations' results.

Look at the numbers, its like night and day, states with stricter laws have less deaths. Period. And take a state like Hawaii where you can't cheat and drive to Indiana and they are the safest state.

I don't mean that the nra should in any way influence your own opinion based on what their current taking point are.
It appears to be a case of not really being well informed. The NRA is such a huge player when it comes to guns in our country. It's not like this Ollie North news was obscure, it was all over the news, his comments on this shooting have been also. How can you have any type of real discussion when you don't know basic things about one of the major players?

I don't care what their position is. Simple. I am quite capable of having an opinion about something without really caring what their stance is. I am not a member so why on earth would I care who the president is? Its not like I am going to vote on an issue because of what the NRA does or doesn't say.

I have an opinion about the treatment of animals but don't listen to anything about PETA either.

Look at the numbers, its like night and day, states with stricter laws have less deaths. Period. And take a state like Hawaii where you can't cheat and drive to Indiana and they are the safest state.

Hasn’t always been the case though. Add in the fact that “gun violence” stats include suicide and justifiable homicide & it muddies the waters further.

I don't care what their position is. Simple. I am quite capable of having an opinion about something without really caring what their stance is. I am not a member so why on earth would I care who the president is? Its not like I am going to vote on an issue because of what the NRA does or doesn't say.

I have an opinion about the treatment of animals but don't listen to anything about PETA either.

Because they're a major player in what kind of laws get made, so they're worth knowing at least a bit about for anyone who has an opinion on the subject.

Hasn’t always been the case though. Add in the fact that “gun violence” stats include suicide and justifiable homicide & it muddies the waters further.
to further muddy the waters, if you look at the past 10 years, the sensible gun law states are decreasing deaths and the open carry states are increasing, but I know you can't compare Arizona and California, Arizona has more cactus and rattle snakes. Its like apples and oranges

Have other countries specifically done something to prevent mass shootings?

Does any believe for one second if they outlawed all publicly owned guns tomorrow that mass shootings would end?

Do I think some steps can be taken? Yes. But I don't think it's as easy as saying "look at Canada, copy them" or "look at England, copy them".

Who has said outlaw guns and nobody has said simply copy what another country has done.

Read Canada's laws, very sensible, absolutely no restriction on classic hunting rifles but hand guns are more restrictive, and Rambo make me look cool guns are not allowed. But you can't compare the US to Canada because they have Justin Beiber

Because they're a major player in what kind of laws get made, so they're worth knowing at least a bit about for anyone who has an opinion on the subject.

Didn’t say I don’t know a little about them. Sure I do. I know a little bit about a lot of organizations that have an agenda to push. But I don’t need their agenda to form an opinion about gun control. Do I have an opinion about the NRA? No. But I am quite capable of forming an opinion about gun laws without knowing who their president is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter