Latest Arguments in DAS Lawsuit

Lol like that will ever happen. I was punched in the face by a 13 year old boy when I worked as a teacher. He had no actual disability though he was in special ed as having a “conduct disorder” which really resulted from a life of chaos (parents). Since he was on an ed plan he was back in school the next day.

I know it will never happen. I know teachers end up dealing with violent kids a LOT. However, I feel like public school access is different than access at a place like a theme park. An education is a right in this country. Going to Disneyland isn't.

I know it will never happen. I know teachers end up dealing with violent kids a LOT. However, I feel like public school access is different than access at a place like a theme park. An education is a right in this country. Going to Disneyland isn't.

My point is that nobody could ever police this. There’s no registry of dangerous children. And last I checked Disney doesn’t do a criminal background check prior to letting adults enter either. Only responsible people will self-police and they are likely already doing that. The ones who are irresponsible and entitled will keep on doing their thing just like they do already. No policy will change that. I know you probably know that, so that’s why I shared a little anecdote. Of course education is different but it’s frustrating even there because it impacts the other kids. I dunno really No point I guess. Let’s face it. Most people are decent but he bad apples really do stand out.

My point being that nobod

My point is that nobody could ever police this. There’s no registry of dangerous children. And last I checked Disney doesn’t do a criminal background check prior to letting adults enter either. Only responsible people will self-police and they are likely already doing that. The ones who are irresponsible and entitled will keep on doing their thing just like they do already. No policy will change that.

I agree. I just wish people wouldn't use disabilities as an excuse for violent behavior because, as evidenced in this thread, it gives people the false impression that ALL people with disability X are violent. Leads to a lot of unfair treatment. This main family in the lawsuit (well, the mother, at least) is a piece of work who has done nothing to further the cause of disability awareness.

I agree 100%. That kid I referenced had no real disability but he gets lumped in with them because that’s how the system works. It’s terrible because that child has nothing in common with autistic children who really do suffer from a neurological disorder that results in troubles with impulse control. My child has those problems but has never been violent. He has done things that may cause problems (throwing toys) but that’s rare And unexpected. Troubled children from violent homes are a product of poor choices on the part of adults but hey do not have inherent neurological issues.

Not agreed, unless you could please provide examples of what you are talking about - and what exactly is a "presumed NT guest". What behavior does the before-mentioned have that would mean they shouldn't be in the parks? If anyone is assaulting another person, then no, they shouldn't be there. Or if they need things to be an exact way or they explode upon others, no, they shouldn't be there. For no one can guarantee that things will go exactly, but if one knows someone becomes violent and lashes out, then no, they shouldn't be in a crowded theme park, without an accessible safe place to go to get through the frustration and/or meltdown.

Apologies for the confusion, I know there are multiple threads within this thread - I was responding specifically to people talking about not subjecting people to their kid's meltdowns in line. I mean, if that is someone's approach to parenting, seriously, bless them for their thoughtfulness - but I literally almost never ever make it through so much as a trip to Target without encountering multiple meltdowns, so I can't imagine going to Disney World and expecting not to encounter them. (Somewhat off topic, but Wal-mart is the worst, btw. I don't know what it is about Wal-mart, but I almost never, ever walk into that store without being greeted by a chorus of screaming children. I swear they design the layout by going "Where can we put this giant display of supersized candy to cause the most screaming meltdowns, bwahahaha!")

No, not every person with autism is aggressive, but that's not what we were talking about - we were talking about an aggressive, uncontrollable adult who had to have things a certain way or would attack people. Even with instant access to any attraction, what happens when the attraction is down? If it stops in the middle of his ride and he explodes? And I still wouldn't take a child expecting Disney to accommodate every single thing. How do you accommodate for epilepsy on attractions that have triggers? Or even the sun flashing off some of the infrastructure that can resemble a strobe light? There has to be some personal responsibility in there too - just like there is in the rest of life. You have to balance personal responsibility and risk taking, with the amount of responsibility you want/should put on an outside entity. I'm actually worried with society's new trend of expecting the outside entity to meet the personal responsibility.

Regarding what a reasonable accommodation for something like epilepsy is, I don't know - I guess that's for lawyers to figure out. It is included as a disability under the ADAAA amendment that was added in 2008, however:

Among the purposes of the ADAAA is the reinstatement of a “broad scope of protection” by expanding the definition of the term “disability.” Congress found that persons with many types of impairments – including epilepsy, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, major depression, and bipolar disorder – had been unable to bring ADA claims because they were found not to meet the ADA’s definition of “disability.” Yet, Congress thought that individuals with these and other impairments should be covered. The ADAAA explicitly rejected certain Supreme Court interpretations of the term “disability” and a portion of the EEOC regulations that it found had inappropriately narrowed the definition of disability. As a result of the ADAAA and EEOC’s final regulations, it will be much easier for individuals seeking the law’s protection to demonstrate that they meet the definition of “disability.” As a result, many more ADA claims will focus on the merits of the case.

My point is that nobody could ever police this. There’s no registry of dangerous children. And last I checked Disney doesn’t do a criminal background check prior to letting adults enter either. Only responsible people will self-police and they are likely already doing that. The ones who are irresponsible and entitled will keep on doing their thing just like they do already. No policy will change that. I know you probably know that, so that’s why I shared a little anecdote. Of course education is different but it’s frustrating even there because it impacts the other kids. I dunno really No point I guess. Let’s face it. Most people are decent but he bad apples really do stand out.

Disney could state that anyone causing an issue (like public drunkenness) at WDW ,and then found to have a history of violence, could be banned from all Disney property, for life.

There's no 'for life' with Disney - not even DVC is for life. If they ever change computer systems, etc, then they'd have to update it. KWIM? And it's pretty sad that they don't have to update it - no chance for personal growth? Will never get the skills to function at the level that does not need the special DAS? No goals to meet?

Apologies for the confusion, I know there are multiple threads within this thread - I was responding specifically to people talking about not subjecting people to their kid's meltdowns in line. I mean, if that is someone's approach to parenting, seriously, bless them for their thoughtfulness - but I literally almost never ever make it through so much as a trip to Target without encountering multiple meltdowns, so I can't imagine going to Disney World and expecting not to encounter them. (Somewhat off topic, but Wal-mart is the worst, btw. I don't know what it is about Wal-mart, but I almost never, ever walk into that store without being greeted by a chorus of screaming children. I swear they design the layout by going "Where can we put this giant display of supersized candy to cause the most screaming meltdowns, bwahahaha!")

Regarding what a reasonable accommodation for something like epilepsy is, I don't know - I guess that's for lawyers to figure out. It is included as a disability under the ADAAA amendment that was added in 2008, however:

Among the purposes of the ADAAA is the reinstatement of a “broad scope of protection” by expanding the definition of the term “disability.” Congress found that persons with many types of impairments – including epilepsy, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, major depression, and bipolar disorder – had been unable to bring ADA claims because they were found not to meet the ADA’s definition of “disability.” Yet, Congress thought that individuals with these and other impairments should be covered. The ADAAA explicitly rejected certain Supreme Court interpretations of the term “disability” and a portion of the EEOC regulations that it found had inappropriately narrowed the definition of disability. As a result of the ADAAA and EEOC’s final regulations, it will be much easier for individuals seeking the law’s protection to demonstrate that they meet the definition of “disability.” As a result, many more ADA claims will focus on the merits of the case.

Interesting, but ADA has the disclaimer that things don't have to be accommodated if it changes the intent of attraction. They don't have to make roller coasters that will accommodate little people, or people with missing/amputated limbs, for example. And they certainly couldn't accommodate for epilepsy if the triggers are strobe-like effects, as that would change the intent of some of the attractions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, but ADA has the disclaimer that things don't have to be accommodated if it changes the intent of attraction. They don't have to make roller coasters that will accommodate little people, or people with missing/amputated limbs, for example. And they certainly couldn't accommodate for epilepsy if the triggers are strobe-like effects, as that would change the intent of some of the attractions.

As of now, no, these accommodations haven't been required, but these grey areas have been the source of increasing controversy (and they certainly have to provide warnings at a minimum):

Theme parks take differing approaches to restricting amputees on rides

I really don't have a good answer on the issue of accommodation. Terms like 'reasonable' and 'accessible' are often very subjective - I think the common sense standards vary from setting to setting, and new normals emerge all the time. At what point do you say accommodations place an unfair burden on employers and businesses? I'm really not sure. It comes up in the educational setting all the time, and the response is generally wildly inconsistent, from what I can tell.

At a philosophical level, I feel for people who have good faith concerns on both sides. On the one hand, it's heartbreaking to meet children with disabilities from parts of the worlds where a disability is considered a source of shame, and the family is encouraged to feel, well, ashamed, and keep them isolated at home lest they be a burden on society. I think when you see that firsthand, it really makes you sensitive to how few steps it takes for a society to get to that place (lines of thinking like "They're probably just being bratty, it's the parent's fault in the end..." "Why should everyone else have to suffer because of this person...", etc.). On the other, while I love our individualistic culture in the US (and it really is, by leaps and bounds, one of the most individualistic in the world, from what I've read - on the 'Hofstede' scale it ranks as one of the most individualistic at least), I worry about our culture of debt, and I get that accommodations are not free.

At a practical level, I think Disney has done a really good job with implementing the DAS system. Rates of autism are estimated to be at something like 1 in 68 now, and that doesn't include related disorders. I like to think they're doing it to do the right thing, but even from a totally pragmatic business perspective, I think it make sense for them to be a leader in that area. Better for people to see them as being 'too nice' than alienate millions of families by seeming callous. It certainly makes me feel more favorably towards them, and I'm willing to bet that's true of many relatives, neighbors, friends, and teachers who have been touched by autism in some way.

HOWEVER, I am sure the majority of these family really need a break from their every day struggles and I am sure they don't want to deal with their child's behaviors at Disney after spending thousands of dollars and trying to relax themselves.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? They don’t want to deal with their children’s behaviors? Kid issues don’t go away on vacation, and every family that goes to Disney is spending a lot of money.

Think of it this way - if a child has epilepsy, would you begrudge them a trip to the park because you could be subjected to their seizures? What about diabetic children who could potentially go into insulin shock? A child with Tourettes Syndrome who made loud barking noises? Etc. Autism is a neurological issue.
My comment was about what they do with all of the other waiting that happens before the ride. No, I’m not saying kids that tantrum aren’t ok, thinking that the kid is overstimulated or afraid, and that situation would be so hard for the child and their family.

HOWEVER, I am sure the majority of these family really need a break from their every day struggles and I am sure they don't want to deal with their child's behaviors at Disney after spending thousands of dollars and trying to relax themselves.

Seriously? They don’t want to deal with their children’s behaviors? Kid issues don’t go away on vacation, and every family that goes to Disney is spending a lot of money.[/QUOT

“Kid issues” for a family with autism are on another level than typical children. Hence.... you know... a medical diagnosis and hours and hours of therapy during and after school. That is why these children need accommodations to be successful at Disney.

Yes, every family spends a lot of money. I am spending a lot of money and I want it to be a good experience. I probably want it more than most since our life is completely affected by autism. A typical parent does not have the challenges we face the rest of the year so do they really begrudge a small accommodation to help those families who struggle all year round. I would gladly trade a little help from Disney for not having therapists in my house half the day and being able to take spur of the moment trips with the kids.

So I am grateful for Disney for providing help so that we can give being a normal family a shot. Every other vacation has been a rented house near the beach. That’s lovely but my oldest needs something new. I chose Disney because I heard great things about their acceptance and support of children with varying abilities. Their reputation earned my money.

Yes, every family spends a lot of money. I am spending a lot of money and I want it to be a good experience. I probably want it more than most since our life is completely affected by autism. A typical parent does not have the challenges we face the rest of the year so do they really begrudge a small accommodation to help those families who struggle all year.

Accommodations are the right thing to because your child needs them in order to access the park. For your child, not for you, and not because he or you deserve it because your everyday life is difficult.

How difficult someone’s life is outside the park is, or should be, irrelevant to providing accommodations inside the park; they are for access, not to make up for a hard life.

Accommodations are the right thing to because your child needs them in order to access the park. For your child, not for you, and not because he or you deserve it because your everyday life is difficult.

How difficult someone’s life is outside the park is, or should be, irrelevant to providing accommodations inside the park; they are for access, not to make up for a hard life.

Never said they were for me or to make up for my life. I was responding to a post that seemingly scoffed at the idea of parents of disabled children going to Disney an effort to get a break from difficult behaviors. That post essentially implied that all parents have to deal with issues so what’s the difference. I was explaining that autism is different and is a big deal. It’s not any other “kid issue”. I then explained some of the trials we face in an attempt to discourage the feeling that autism parents are getting “perks” in life as was stated earlier in the thread. That’s the only reason I included the hardships I faced. I never said Disney was there to makeup for my troubles nor do I expect them to. What I do expect is for other patrons to respect Disney’s right to afford families of children with special needs a different experience. They can show their respect from refraining from making judgmental comments that minimize the struggles and difficulties that are unique to the members of a family affected by autism.

Yes, every family spends a lot of money. I am spending a lot of money and I want it to be a good experience. I probably want it more than most since our life is completely affected by autism. A typical parent does not have the challenges we face the rest of the year so do they really begrudge a small accommodation to help those families who struggle all year round. I would gladly trade a little help from Disney for not having therapists in my house half the day and being able to take spur of the moment trips with the kids.

So I am grateful for Disney for providing help so that we can give being a normal family a shot. Every other vacation has been a rented house near the beach. That’s lovely but my oldest needs something new. I chose Disney because I heard great things about their acceptance and support of children with varying abilities. Their reputation earned my money.

But the thing is, so many families are affected by so many things that puts a WDW vacation out of their reach. How much accommodation should we do, should a for profit company be expected to do? There are families dealing with cancer, dealing with drug addiction, abuse, poverty, mental health issues, chronic illness, and so on and so on. While your life is greatly affected by autism, it's not the only thing out there that makes it hard to access WDW. Should every single issue out there be accommodated for a vacation? How about kids who never get to experience Disney, ever?

I think the DAS is a good enough tool for access - but it does take some prep work.

Never said they were for me or to make up for my life. I was responding to a post that seemingly scoffed at the idea of parents of disabled children going to Disney an effort to get a break from difficult behaviors. That post essentially implied that all parents have to deal with issues so what’s the difference. I was explaining that autism is different and is a big deal. It’s not any other “kid issue”. I then explained some of the trials we face in an attempt to discourage the feeling that autism parents are getting “perks” in life as was stated earlier in the thread. That’s the only reason I included the hardships I faced. I never said Disney was there to makeup for my troubles nor do I expect them to. What I do expect is for other patrons to respect Disney’s right to afford families of children with special needs a different experience. They can show their respect from refraining from making judgmental comments that minimize the struggles and difficulties that are unique to the members of a family affected by autism.

See above - autism is "different", but in the scope of things, it's not the only big deal out there. Some try to make it out to be the biggest deal ever, and it can be a turn off to others when they've had other experiences with overwhelming life issues. I have friends who have lost children to cancer, heart issues, and friends who have kids struggling with the after effects of chemo, etc. Friends who have kids who are so depressed they have been hospitalized at an early age, and have been on suicide watches. I've worked with kids with fetal alcohol syndrome, watched them shake, tried to help them make choices in life that were positive, even though there's a tendency to do the opposite. So yes, sometimes having a child with autism is a daily, intense struggle (seen that with friends as well) but we all deserve a break from the challenges, don't we? how much should Disney be expected to accommodate for all of us?

But the thing is, so many families are affected by so many things that puts a WDW vacation out of their reach. How much accommodation should we do, should a for profit company be expected to do? There are families dealing with cancer, dealing with drug addiction, abuse, poverty, mental health issues, chronic illness, and so on and so on. While your life is greatly affected by autism, it's not the only thing out there that makes it hard to access WDW. Should every single issue out there be accommodated for a vacation? How about kids who never get to experience Disney, ever?

I think the DAS is a good enough tool for access - but it does take some prep work.

See above - autism is "different", but in the scope of things, it's not the only big deal out there. Some try to make it out to be the biggest deal ever, and it can be a turn off to others when they've had other experiences with overwhelming life issues. I have friends who have lost children to cancer, heart issues, and friends who have kids struggling with the after effects of chemo, etc. Friends who have kids who are so depressed they have been hospitalized at an early age, and have been on suicide watches. I've worked with kids with fetal alcohol syndrome, watched them shake, tried to help them make choices in life that were positive, even though there's a tendency to do the opposite. So yes, sometimes having a child with autism is a daily, intense struggle (seen that with friends as well) but we all deserve a break from the challenges, don't we? how much should Disney be expected to accommodate for all of us?

I really don’t know what point you are looking to prove here. :::shrug::: if the situations you describe here follow disney guidelines for DAS then great. I am glad they get it. Just like I’m grateful Disney chose to help us out, which you apparently disapprove of because you don’t think autism is a big deal since others may have it worse. Of course others have it worse and many have it easier. That’s life.

No one is talking about deserving anything. I’m paying cash for a vacation that I worked to earn. I chose Disney because of its available accommodation that they state they have. That’s what I think I deserve because I paid for a vacation with an advertised accommodations for my child.

You seem quite callous toward autism families. I’m not sure why, but that’s your issue not mine. I certainly haven’t ever complained about Disney in this thread. In fact, multiple times I have expressed my appreciation and satisfaction so not sure why this has turned on me.

You are confusing life long disabilities with unfortunate life circumstances. They are not the same thing, which is why ADA laws were passed. Sure, everyone dealing with hard circumstances needs a break sometimes. That's life. However, people with disabilities are constantly struggling to navigate a world that is, seemingly, designed without them in mind, and fighting every day simply to be treated with equality, dignity, and respect, or at the very least, not be openly discriminated against.

People have sympathy for the types of people you mentioned. It's often the complete opposite for disabled people.

You are confusing life long disabilities with unfortunate life circumstances. They are not the same thing, which is why ADA laws were passed. Sure, everyone dealing with hard circumstances needs a break sometimes. That's life. However, people with disabilities are constantly struggling to navigate a world that is, seemingly, designed without them in mind, and fighting every day simply to be treated with equality, dignity, and respect, or at the very least, not be openly discriminated against.

People have sympathy for the types of people you mentioned. It's often the complete opposite for disabled people.

I mentioned cancer, which is ADA covered, and the effects of chemo, along with chronic and mental illnesses, which are also covered by ADA. So not sure what you are thinking of? Are you saying autism is the only disability, or should be? I don't think so, but that's what it kind of sounds like?

I really don’t know what point you are looking to prove here. :::shrug::: if the situations you describe here follow disney guidelines for DAS then great. I am glad they get it. Just like I’m grateful Disney chose to help us out, which you apparently disapprove of because you don’t think autism is a big deal since others may have it worse. Of course others have it worse and many have it easier. That’s life.

No one is talking about deserving anything. I’m paying cash for a vacation that I worked to earn. I chose Disney because of its available accommodation that they state they have. That’s what I think I deserve because I paid for a vacation with an advertised accommodations for my child.

You seem quite callous toward autism families. I’m not sure why, but that’s your issue not mine. I certainly haven’t ever complained about Disney in this thread. In fact, multiple times I have expressed my appreciation and satisfaction so not sure why this has turned on me.

Not callous, just not seeing it as the only difficult situation. it was the part quoted below that makes it sound, to me, that you think only "autism families" face struggles:

“Kid issues” for a family with autism are on another level than typical children. Hence.... you know... a medical diagnosis and hours and hours of therapy during and after school. That is why these children need accommodations to be successful at Disney.

Yes, every family spends a lot of money. I am spending a lot of money and I want it to be a good experience. I probably want it more than most since our life is completely affected by autism.

It's not just "autism families" is what I'm trying to say, while you make it sound like it's the do-all, end-all of difficult things to deal with.

I mentioned cancer, which is ADA covered, and the effects of chemo, along with chronic and mental illnesses, which are also covered by ADA. So not sure what you are thinking of? Are you saying autism is the only disability, or should be? I don't think so, but that's what it kind of sounds like?

Not callous, just not seeing it as the only difficult situation. it was the part quoted below that makes it sound, to me, that you think only "autism families" face struggles:

It's not just "autism families" is what I'm trying to say, while you make it sound like it's the do-all, end-all of difficult things to deal with.

How? I never once alluded to any other disability at all. So I don’t see how you think I said it was the “end-all” disability. I think it’s very tough andlife-long which is warranting of encouragement from others rather than essentially being told, “suck it up, because it could be worse.” I don’t think many other disabilities get that sort of brush off but I could be wrong. In any event, I grew up being raised by a single schizophrenic mother so no I don’t think it’s the worst. My mother’s disability is pretty dang bad so I feel for parents of mentally ill children as well. I feel for cancer patient families and those who can’t afford Disney(because i certainly grew up quite poor). So, no,there is not one thing I have ever stated here to lead you to conclude that I consider it the worst. And,yes, thank you for quoting me. I stand by the fact that “kid issues” for TYPICAL children (read: not cancer patients, not Visually or hearing impaired children, not cognitively impacted children or those with mental illness but just your average typically developing child) are less than those experienced by families of children with autism. Saying that does not even come close to implying that autism is the worst thing ever to be faced. In fact, since each child with autism is unique, the level of severity across the spectrum will vary quite significantly and determine how challenging life will be for the family affected.

Seriously? They don’t want to deal with their children’s behaviors? Kid issues don’t go away on vacation, and every family that goes to Disney is spending a lot of money.[/QUOT

So I am grateful for Disney for providing help so that we can give being a normal family a shot. Every other vacation has been a rented house near the beach. That’s lovely but my oldest needs something new. I chose Disney because I heard great things about their acceptance and support of children with varying abilities. Their reputation earned my money.[/QUOTE

I understand the difficulties and how a family with a child with special needs is affected, and how challenging that can be anywhere, let alone at an exhausting, crowded, over stimulating place like a theme park.
My comment was referring to the comment that a parent of a child with special needs doesn’t want to deal with those behaviors on vacation, after spending thousands of dollars.
I want every family to have a wonderful vacation at Disney, truly, and I think Disney does a great job of going the extra mile for many families, which they do not need to do. Where else does this happen? You will not find me criticizing this company or complaining about this procedure they have set in place. And I don’t believe it’s a right, or that someone should feel entitled, and most don’t. Imo, it’s a generous, kind thing that they do- for all families who could use a little extra help, and I’m happy they get it.

I implied no such thing.
And I apologize if the phrase “ kid issues” offended you. It was only meant to generalize whatever special need a child may have.

Here on the disABILITIES Forum we don’t argue whose/which disability (or disease, diagnosis, condition, age, prognosis, etc.) is worse. Until living someone else’s specific situation, there can be no comparison.

Let’s get back to the thread topic: Latest Arguments in DAS Lawsuit

https://www.courthousenews.com/11th...-change-in-disney-policy-for-autistic-guests/

Love this from one of the judges:

“Why can’t a guest just go online and look at the wait times for the rides? Kids without a disability melt down at Disney all the time. It’s hot, the lines are long, it’s over-stimulating. Why can’t the parents plan for this? Why is it not a reasonable accommodation to use the DAS and readmission passes to allow movement through the park if the parent plans?” Senior U.S. Circuit Judge Frank Hull said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter